4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to remove stuck spark plugs?

Old 11-11-2002, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to remove stuck spark plugs?

I was helping my friend change his spark plugs on his 97 Max. We did five cylinders with no problems, but when we were removing the coil pack from cylinder No. 5, there was a missing piece from the coil pack. A rubber boot that didn't come off when we pulled the coil pack out. When have tried several things to get the boot off, but nothing has worked. We can't get a socket in the hole to remove the spark plug. What can we do to remove the spark plug? Do we have to remove the cylinder head?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Sin

Re: How to remove stuck spark plugs?

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
I was helping my friend change his spark plugs on his 97 Max. We did five cylinders with no problems, but when we were removing the coil pack from cylinder No. 5, there was a missing piece from the coil pack. A rubber boot that didn't come off when we pulled the coil pack out. When have tried several things to get the boot off, but nothing has worked. We can't get a socket in the hole to remove the spark plug. What can we do to remove the spark plug? Do we have to remove the cylinder head?

Thanks!
Do a search. The solution involves either using long needle nose pliers, or using a stick with some superglue on it.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:04 PM

Re: Re: How to remove stuck spark plugs?

Originally posted by Sin

Do a search. The solution involves either using long needle nose pliers, or using a stick with some superglue on it.
I tried that. That rubber o ring is really attached to the spark plug. I'll try to take a pic and post it up.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: How to remove stuck spark plugs?

I tried that. That rubber o ring is really attached to the spark plug. I'll try to take a pic and post it up.
Try a larger socket, and try to twist out the spark plug by grabbing the rubber boot.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:33 PM

Re: How to remove stuck spark plugs?

Thanks!
I had this problem literally like 2 days ago. The end rubber socket of the coil pack stayed in the spark plug shaft. What I did was put super glue on the coil pack and jammed it in the hole again. I waited like a day cause I forgot, but it was good cause the glue had dried completely. When I remembered about it, I took out the plug, and there it was connected again. It was a bad coil pack anyways so I changed it for a newer one. If I were you I'd go and check that coil pack to see if ti still works, hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:54 PM

Re: Re: How to remove stuck spark plugs?

Worked like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Originally posted by D1NOnly34

I had this problem literally like 2 days ago. The end rubber socket of the coil pack stayed in the spark plug shaft. What I did was put super glue on the coil pack and jammed it in the hole again. I waited like a day cause I forgot, but it was good cause the glue had dried completely. When I remembered about it, I took out the plug, and there it was connected again. It was a bad coil pack anyways so I changed it for a newer one. If I were you I'd go and check that coil pack to see if ti still works, hope this helps.