4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

O2 sensor

Old 03-19-2001, 08:42 AM

I am about to have my rear O2 sensor replaced for the third time and I have only had the car since September. It seems like it always goes out about every 3 months or so and after I have done some type of high speed run. This last time, I was on the way to the coast for spring break and had to show my friends jetta what a real car can do and then my engine light comes on and it is the O2 again. Those things aren't speed sensitive are they?

Any info would be valued and has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:19 AM

Poisoned sensors

Originally posted by BigHops99se
I am about to have my rear O2 sensor replaced for the third time and I have only had the car since September. It seems like it always goes out about every 3 months or so ...
Oxygen Sensors usually last a long time, 60K miles and more. Yours have "died" at an early age. Perhaps they were faulty parts. More likely they failed because of their operating environment (a problem with the vehicle).

An Oxygen Sensor may be "poisoned" by exposure to various substances including leaded fuels, anti-freeze, anti-sieze, RTV sealants, and the residue of burned engine oil. If your engine is burning oil or coolant, that could explain the short service life of those sensors... and also predict a similar fate for the next replacement.

A chronically over-rich fuel mixture will result in excessive fuel consumption and a coating of black soot on the sensing tip of the Oxygen Sensor. This is another category of "poisoning".

I've read that a bad Oxygen Sensor can sometimes be rejuvenated by removing it, clamping it in a vise, and heating the sensing tip red hot with a propane torch. This is said to burn off a crust of deposits which interfere with its operation. I've never tried this torch trick myself, so cannot vouch for it's effectiveness. If you have a sensor which is already dead, you have little to lose.

For an article about Oxygen Sensors see http://www.volksparts.com/o2sensors.htm
Old 03-19-2001, 09:25 AM

Thanks Daniel

So if the sensor is being "poisoned" by one of the reasons that you listed, wouldn't that show up when the dealer checked the car the last two times that it went out? Or do you think that they are just fixing the sensor and not checking the engine? Also if the sensor is being poisoned, would there be any other signs to look for while driving the car that will tell me that it is being poisoned and not just a faulty part?

Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:35 AM

You need an expert

Thanks Daniel

So if the sensor is being "poisoned" by one of the reasons that you listed, wouldn't that show up when the dealer checked the car the last two times that it went out? Or do you think that they are just fixing the sensor and not checking the engine? Also if the sensor is being poisoned, would there be any other signs to look for while driving the car that will tell me that it is being poisoned and not just a faulty part?

Thanks again.
... Or do you think that they are just fixing the sensor and not checking the engine? ...
An inept technician fails to fix the problem.
A competent technician fixes the problem.
An expert technician looks beyond the immediate problem to discover the root cause and fix that.
You need an expert.

... Also if the sensor is being poisoned, would there be any other signs to look for while driving the car that will tell me that it is being poisoned ...
Do you ever have to add coolant? Engine oil? If the answer is yes, that is a valuable clue.

... just a faulty part?
Three times in three months? The odds are against that.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:42 AM

Re: You need an expert

Never have to add coolant or engine oil...all my fluids are at the proper level. ohh and sorry if i wasn't clear but it is every three months i have to replace the sensor, not three times in just three months. I just found out though that it is the Bank One sensor, which sensor is that btw. The last two times it was the rear sensor.

I'm gonna take it up to South Point Nissan Saturday, where I bought it. They have much better service than GUNN Nissan here in SA. They have terrible service, just to warn you if you ever have anyone talking about going to a dealer...DON'T GO THERE.

THANKS A LOT DANIEL, I was hoping you would respond
Old 03-19-2001, 09:51 AM

Bank one oxygen sensor

... I just found out though that it is the Bank One sensor, which sensor is that btw.
4Gen Maximas have three Oxygen Sensors. There are two front sensors, one in each branch of the Y-pipe (upstream of the Catalytic Converter). There is one rear sensor, in the exhaust pipe downstream of the Cat.

The V6 engine has two "banks" of 3 cylinders. Bank 1 is cylinders 1,3, and 5. This is also called the Right Bank or the Rear Bank. It is the bank of cylinders nearest the windshield.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:01 AM

Bad air filter?

I've heard of cases where the air filter element began to disintegrate and filter media particles were "inhaled" by the engine. This could lead to problems with the Mass Air Flow Sensor. It could also lead to ash deposits forming in the exhaust stream, possibly on the sensing tip of an Oxygen Sensor. I don't want to get flamed for saying this so I will whisper it in your ear... Those "go-fast" air cleaners such as K&N are known for this.
Old 03-19-2001, 02:36 PM

Re: Re: You need an expert

I'm gonna take it up to South Point Nissan Saturday, where I bought it. They have much better service than GUNN Nissan here in SA. They have terrible service, just to warn you if you ever have anyone talking about going to a dealer...DON'T GO THERE.

THANKS A LOT DANIEL, I was hoping you would respond
Jason,
If you don,t mind going to local garages, go to D&M Service center in Universal City. 659-3851 is their number and John is the manager. I take my cars there whenever I don,t feel like doing it myself (like a fuel pump change when I have a full tank of gas). I have NEVER, EVER had a complaint from anyone who has taken their car there. Also while I got you, how about your spark plugs? Those can cause the gases to burn improperly and the 02 sensor will pick this up and give you a light. Been there, done that and bought the T-Shirt! Laterz. David
Old 03-19-2001, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since we're on the topic of O2 sensors,
I haven't changed mine before. I have
118k miles and no check light. Do I need
to service the sensors anyway?
Old 03-19-2001, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Albert
Since we're on the topic of O2 sensors,
I haven't changed mine before. I have
118k miles and no check light. Do I need
to service the sensors anyway?
The symptoms of a "tired" Oxygen Sensor are increased fuel consumption, decreased engine power, and a lack of the crisp throttle response the car had when new. If you don't have these symptoms, you don't have a problem.

Oxygen Sensors may be tested with an electronic tester made for that specific purpose or a general-purpose automotive oscilloscope. Some people test them with an ordinary voltmeter but I don't have much confidence in that technique.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:41 PM

bringing this one back

I am having a right and left back reading when my check engine light went on.....my cat. o2 sensor was destroyed....so I left it in for a few months and the check engine light remained on. I finally replaced the cat. o2 sensor and thought that everything would be fine...I am now getting a reading for left adn right bank sensors going off.

I think those are the codes
and of course the
knock sensor reading.

Could I have destoyed the other two sensor by not fixing the cat one?

The whole problem started back in november when I bought a y-pipe and high flow cat.....HATED Them!!! Removed them, then realized that the old cat was no longer good..so I left the high flow on and returned to the stock y-pipe. Does anyone know what the hell is wrong with my car...I am bringing it into the dealer on monday but I woudl liek to know for myself.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:41 PM

Re: bringing this one back

Originally posted by buckwilly4
I am having a right and left back reading when my check engine light went on.......I am now getting a reading for left adn right bank sensors going off.
Thanks.
did you ever get this resolved? I'm getting the same trouble codes regarding...upstream oxygen sensor (both left and right banks)
Old 03-11-2002, 06:08 AM

Re: Re: bringing this one back

Yes I did. When I brought it to the dealer they spend a few hours going through the relay o2 sensor wires and found that it had been cut and destroyed somehow so the two upstream and down stream sensors were working and installed properly but the harness and wiring was interupted. The fixed the harness and wire and now they work perfect.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: bringing this one back

Yes I did. When I brought it to the dealer they spend a few hours going through the relay o2 sensor wires and found that it had been cut and destroyed somehow so the two upstream and down stream sensors were working and installed properly but the harness and wiring was interupted. The fixed the harness and wire and now they work perfect.
did the dealar charge you a lot to do this?
Old 03-11-2002, 12:53 PM

I have had similar O2 problems...I've already replaced one, and I am continuously haveing KS codes, and sometimes O2 codes...If anyone has seen my earlier posts, I am also having problems with idle, and now I am getting AWFUL fuel mileage...

That all said, after researching my problem for about two months now, I think what I need to do is replace my Knock Sensor...When I get back home (travelling for work) I will replace it, knock on some wood, and let everyone know what happened...

I'm just glad to see that my problem is more common than I thought...although, I'm sorry that we're all having this same issue.

-Flo_Boy
Old 03-12-2002, 10:26 AM

you have no idea

I just finally fixed the last repair on the maxima. I had a faulty water pump that was whining constantly at idle. Plus my o2 sensor harness was cut...plus I had a broken hanger on my y-pipe. I was looking at big repair bills...and I endured some of them. I have spent more money on my max in the last 3 months than I have spent the whole time I have had cars!!! First of all...I hate aftermarket high flow y-pipes..make sure you know if you like noise because that is about all I felt from the y-pipe. Once I put my original y-pipe it was so messed up that I had to have a new hanger made. Then the high flow cat had its o2 sensor hole drilled in the wrong side. So I lost my harness because of rubbing against the floor of the car and I lost the o2 sensor for basically the same reason. I had a ecu code thrown for 3 months and I got really really bad gas milage...like 19 mpg. Ok- the harness was like $100 to fix...they have to trace the entire o2 wire and components for the leak or break. the o2 sensors are like 100 for the downsteam and 110 fo rthe upstream. They will pop those in for free at certain muffler shops.

Now...all of these problems stemmed from me modding my car. I will never do y-pipes and things like that again. the stock max is fast enough with a 5 speed. Good luck. O2 sensor problems should go directly to a GOOD nissan dealer or someone who is experienced with nissans. If you do the..."change my o2 sensors or change my knock sensor" thing....I mean, yes you could get lucky...but the problem could be a lot more than that. I thought the same way but realized that there are just some codes you cannot diagnose unless you have the right tools.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:28 PM

That link was very helpful...

My question is this though. Will an aftermarket Y-pipe and RT cat accelerate the wear on the O2 sensors causing them to "tire" faster?
Old 03-13-2002, 08:22 AM

hmm

My car had no issues till I decided to start switching around cats and y-pipes...but I do know that the high flow cat sometimes makes o2 sensors throw codes. At least it did in mine. I hate hollow y-pipes...I dont care who makes them....they are just too loud for me. Not my style...and my car got worse gas milage with the aftermarket y-pipe...and I felt myself reving the car more to make up for the lack of low end pull. I'll take precats anyday even if they do add some weight and take some power from the y-pipe. ALl the power int he world didnt substitute for how much my girl hated how my car sounded.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: hmm

My car had no issues till I decided to start switching around cats and y-pipes...but I do know that the high flow cat sometimes makes o2 sensors throw codes. At least it did in mine. I hate hollow y-pipes...I dont care who makes them....they are just too loud for me. Not my style...and my car got worse gas milage with the aftermarket y-pipe...and I felt myself reving the car more to make up for the lack of low end pull. I'll take precats anyday even if they do add some weight and take some power from the y-pipe. ALl the power int he world didnt substitute for how much my girl hated how my car sounded.
Well, there are two issue here:
1) Your noise can be cured my putting on your stock muffler. It's been proven that you can mod the hell out of your exhaust system and keep the stock muffler on with sacrificing maybe 2-4 hp MAX. You will also regain the lost backpressure to help restore your lost torque.

2) Don't ever let your preferences be influneced because your girl doesn't like it! If it starts with the car, then it will be your clothes, then the way you talk etc. etc. etc....you do what you want to do when you want to do it and how you want to do it!
Old 03-13-2002, 11:03 AM

back pressure

Well, I was going to do the stock exhuast but because the stock system makes me want to vomit..I will stick with my apex-i ws...plus my girl likes it

I see you point about the girl thing but I didn't really like it either. Who knows, maybe I just had a bad y-pipe or something..or maybe they mismounted it. Regardless, the way it sounded was blatant and excessive. Not my style. I like mine with the deep down but not a lot of the camaro raspiness. Plus chicks dig it as is