1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

1st & 2nd Gens are fading away.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 AM

1st & 2nd Gens are fading away.....

I am amazed to see how slow and sleepy this forum has become. I first started to watch this 1st/2nd Gen forum in '99 and it was a busy place. The talk was mostly 2nd Gen, but some 1st Gen too. Now......it seems so few of us have either 1st or 2nd Gen Maximas, that this forum can go a week without a single post. Sad to see all the Maximas gone and the owners have moved on to newer cars. I still have my '81....and hope to keep it rolling for many more years.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I love lamp.

As much as I loved my 2nd gen, it was getting too much to keep it going on top of modding it. It sucks when you have stress whether you can take the car somewhere without a mishap.

S
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

were fading but im still boosting strong here in dygo, theres a guy here thats doing a 300zx turbo swap in his maxima(85) and ima help himout, so if ou guys hear horror stories about 2 ppl tearing up civics, integras, toyotas, and mazdas, hold your head up high an know that you kno that you the 2nd gen maxima community has a part in it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 PM

I'm with you 81max, I did notice a white 2nd gen by the girls house, I might have to leave a note on his car and see if he gets on here.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM

I have not seen a 1st or 2nd gen around here in at least a year, aside from my own. lots of 3rd and up though.

None of the junkyards have them either.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Over here at Traffik blockin nyc we have our purple turbo 87 im sure some of you seen it if you were members of this forum for the past 5 years, it's been down for almost 3 years now and it's time we bring it back out sooooooooooooo you guys will be seeing it this summer if you live in NY or the tri-state area if not pics will be up.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:59 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

holla that would make 4 turbo maximas 2nd gen that i now of in the US, pretty exclusive club!! LOL!
Old 05-17-2008, 02:40 PM

i still have mine, and am looking to try and get a turbo swap going when my engine fails. Just got back from stillen, and i got some good reviews on it from some people.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:57 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

well join up and well call ourselves the fab 5
Old 05-19-2008, 05:06 AM

I still have my 84 max wagon sitting in the yard. Every now and then I will start it up and let it run for a few minutes. It needs some work and I haven't had current plates on it for years. Needless to say it's not my everyday car and raising a family has a higher priority. I also have an 84 sedan parts car. I can use everything from the front door section and up. If anyone needs anything from the rear door section and back (except the fuel pump), let me know. If anyone ever sees a 81-84 max wagon in the pull a part PM me as I have been looking for some inexpensive tail lights and rear side marker lights for years.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 AM

I'll keep an eye out for the taillights.

I'm still running boost on my 1984 but had to swap out the 3.9 R200 rear for a 3.54 which helps top speed but hurts the launch.

Maybe the manual will go in sooner than later.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My mother has an '84 she is trying to keep running-but getting parts has become difficult. We've been searching for a front bumper cover. Just today I see that a store called Auto Parts Fair has them-but I can't find much feedback from people who've dealt with them. Anyone use them? Geez the shipping is almost as much as the part, also, I'm not sure if that typical or not. Then I also see a couple of Bumper shops-one in Boston, one in the Southeast.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:18 PM

im actually searching for a 87 or 88 as a commuter car, as my 3rd Gen is no longer a commuter. ( Im in NY ). Many members of my family, first car were the 2nd Gens, i believe all SE models, leather interior, the talking female voice..lol, Digital guages and also the stereo unit which i believe was a 2 piece setup?...correct me if im wrong.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by soulsmax
im actually searching for a 87 or 88 as a commuter car, as my 3rd Gen is no longer a commuter. ( Im in NY ). Many members of my family, first car were the 2nd Gens, i believe all SE models, leather interior, the talking female voice..lol, Digital guages and also the stereo unit which i believe was a 2 piece setup?...correct me if im wrong.
If they had leather and digital gauges, they were probably GL's or GXE's. 85-86, and 87 floaters I believe were 2 units, 88's were double din units.

S
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by maxine84
My mother has an '84 she is trying to keep running-but getting parts has become difficult. We've been searching for a front bumper cover. Just today I see that a store called Auto Parts Fair has them-but I can't find much feedback from people who've dealt with them. Anyone use them? Geez the shipping is almost as much as the part, also, I'm not sure if that typical or not. Then I also see a couple of Bumper shops-one in Boston, one in the Southeast.
I'm not so sure I'd deal with the auto parts fair. I get a bad vibe looking at their page.

You really have to just look. try carpart.com
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
If they had leather and digital gauges, they were probably GL's or GXE's. 85-86, and 87 floaters I believe were 2 units, 88's were double din units.

S
oh cool, thanks for the correction.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:30 AM

I'll bet one would have a better time getting the bluebird stuff from australia for their first generation bumpers.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, FM. I was wondering, I've also located some bumper assy from wrecking places- offhand does anyone know if an '83 or 82' fr. bumper cover would also fit an '84?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
well join up and well call ourselves the fab 5
What if there were 6? We're still working on it. Just broke 2 bolts in the alternator.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

wai wai wait no one said anyone about six but the more the merrier, where are you in the swap?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 PM

i see 2nd gen sedans about once a month. i actually saw a 2nd gen wagon yesterday, the first one ive seen in real life that wasnt my own. maybe after the 25 year mark passes and emmisions checks arent needed well see a resurgence(we can hope), i myself barely pass emmisions lol
Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My favorite generation Maxima was the second generation. I was 10 when my mom picked up her first new car ever, a black 1986 Maxima SE, 5spd. I remember thinking this was thee car to end all cars. It was quick, it had sporty seats, big ol' sunroof and all. It got me hooked on Maximas and it's all downhill from there.

I picked up a 1987 Maxima SE back in 1993, black, manual, all the trimmings. My buddy had a 1987 SE that was white, body kit, white rims, the whole deal. Many a night spent cruising with Das EFX, Beastie Boys and whoever else thumping on the stereos. I would dust my Max off whenever I got somewhere, always maintained it, even cleaned it with old toothbrushes, often spending entire Saturdays waxing and polishing.

Foolishly, I traded the Maxima in a couple years later for a Passat GLX VR6. The Passat was a blast, but an utter POS. A couple years ago, I went to the junk yard to get some parts for my project Audi 100 when I come around a corner and there sat my buddy's white SE. Completely rotted fenders (thanks to the harsh winters here), ripped up seat, just looking completely pathetic. All the hours spent helping each other wax and polishing and it ended up underneath a Grand Marquis at Buck's Junkyard. She served her owner well....As for my Max, never saw it again after the guy picked 'er up.

My all time, hands down favorite generation Maxima. Dude, it talked.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 87 maxima that im trying to build up which is a 2nd gen we should all get together if there is anyone in nwe york do like a meeting to make a club or something
Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 AM

Hi Guys (and gals) I had an 88 that was loaded! It was one of the best cars I ever had.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 87maxima
i have a 87 maxima that im trying to build up which is a 2nd gen we should all get together if there is anyone in nwe york do like a meeting to make a club or something
I'm not *too* far away from you, in Upper Bucks County PA near I-78...

I currently have 2 1987's and an '88, not to mention (but I will anyway) an '86 that doesn't run and probably heading for the cruncher soon. I do intend to keep the wheels - this one has the "honeycomb" style rims with decent rubber on them.

Trying to decide what to do with these cars.

The '88 5-speed is "legal" and only has about 105K on it, but the power steering pump is shot and it's not running quite right but probably something minor. I intend to get this fixed and back on the road before my son gets his license in about 2 months.

The one '87 (white, auto) was on the road but failed inspection recently for rust, a crushed underbody frame rail (somebody jacked it up in the wrong place and crushed the metal....I may try to weld some new stuff on there). Plus it needs tie rod ends and a motor mount but runs "ok". This one will probably be parted out and scrapped.

The other '87 is silver, auto, with digital dash and leather (or is that simu-leather?) seats. It purrs like a kitten and is in great shape till you get to the rear wheel wells. Frame rust, rusted out around the gas fill pipe, rusted through brake lines and rust on the frame. This sucker needs a lot of work but I haven't had time to touch it in almost 2 years.

I'd like to hear what others would do in this situation. Sometimes I'm tempted to just ditch them all but I *love* these cars. I'd rather drive my '88 Max than my wife's 1996 Volvo 960 or the 2007 KIA Spectra we bought recently to save on gas. But finding time to work on them has been tough. I'd like to see any good parts I don't need go to a good home than into a metal cube...
I've already had to scrap 3, I almost got fined by my township for having too many 'junk' cars....
Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 AM

To the crusher?

Originally Posted by countzero
The one '87 (white, auto) was on the road but failed inspection recently for rust, a crushed underbody frame rail (somebody jacked it up in the wrong place and crushed the metal....I may try to weld some new stuff on there). This one will probably be parted out and scrapped.
I am so glad that Kansas does not have vehicle inspections. My Maxima would have failed for frame rust a decade ago. It still runs great and gets me where I need to go. I keep the body rust in check, but whatever happens underneath....I pay no attention to it. Why they make you fix a car with a little frame rust, I never know. Do we see lots of wrecks from cars collapsing from frame deterioration? Seems like a way to get old cars off the road to improve air pollution / air quality (political), not for safety reasons.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Yea PA is not that fun to deal with.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i personally would take all 3 of them and make one good one and scrap the rest. or even use one for mock up parts. thats what i would do.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by countzero
I'm not *too* far away from you, in Upper Bucks County PA near I-78...

I currently have 2 1987's and an '88, not to mention (but I will anyway) an '86 that doesn't run and probably heading for the cruncher soon. I do intend to keep the wheels - this one has the "honeycomb" style rims with decent rubber on them.

Trying to decide what to do with these cars.

The '88 5-speed is "legal" and only has about 105K on it, but the power steering pump is shot and it's not running quite right but probably something minor. I intend to get this fixed and back on the road before my son gets his license in about 2 months.

The one '87 (white, auto) was on the road but failed inspection recently for rust, a crushed underbody frame rail (somebody jacked it up in the wrong place and crushed the metal....I may try to weld some new stuff on there). Plus it needs tie rod ends and a motor mount but runs "ok". This one will probably be parted out and scrapped.

The other '87 is silver, auto, with digital dash and leather (or is that simu-leather?) seats. It purrs like a kitten and is in great shape till you get to the rear wheel wells. Frame rust, rusted out around the gas fill pipe, rusted through brake lines and rust on the frame. This sucker needs a lot of work but I haven't had time to touch it in almost 2 years.

I'd like to hear what others would do in this situation. Sometimes I'm tempted to just ditch them all but I *love* these cars. I'd rather drive my '88 Max than my wife's 1996 Volvo 960 or the 2007 KIA Spectra we bought recently to save on gas. But finding time to work on them has been tough. I'd like to see any good parts I don't need go to a good home than into a metal cube...
I've already had to scrap 3, I almost got fined by my township for having too many 'junk' cars....
Nice, I had a 97 960. That was a good car...but a tad on the costly side.

S
Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just joined and have a 87 with a custom one piece body kit. Thing is straight from the early 90s lol
Has 43k original miles..v6 5spd starting to learn about these cars to get it back running

Old 07-26-2008, 08:58 AM

- speedaddict: that is a pretty cool body, and with low miles like that it would be worth the work getting it back on the road. Is it stock under the hood? Does it run at all?

Regarding PA inspections: this really pisses me off at times, especially since I used to live in NJ where they have state-run (or contracted?) inspection stations where you run through and they check a list of items. In PA, inspections are done by private shops, which means you're at the mercy of the mechanic...although I believe they are following PENNDOT mandates, some are much fussier than others. It seems like every year, every car/truck I have that more than 8-10 years old cost me $750-$1000 just to pass inspection. Several times I've gotten estimates then taken the car home and done the work myself for 1/4 the $$ then gone back (or taken it somewhere else). What a pain.

I think Big_E-Dog is right, I should strip all the good desirable parts from 2 of these and just keep one good one going.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 AM
I love lamp.

That body kit is a rather shocking.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/798744929.html

Man if I had the space for a project car I would get this thing looks clean for an 84!

Last edited by Accord4tehloss!; 09-01-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
That body kit is a rather shocking.

im still confused on what to say about it

to each his own thou
Old 07-26-2008, 12:56 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

super jdm widebody yo!

deffinately different indeed. jeese tho only 43K id keep that bad boy.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 AM

I'd like to see what that body looks like from ground level...it might be less 'shocking' from that angle, especially from the side. It looks like it has wider rims and rubber than stock so that would help too.

I like the way the trunk lid looks - does that spoiler move? Looks like it might be re-positionable....
Old 08-23-2008, 04:04 PM

im stiill here doing my thing
Old 08-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I love lamp.

5lugs > 4lugs.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 PM

im still here doing my thing want to do a turbo swap too but thats for after the engine gives up dp you think i should throw in the 300zx tt after and add a regular turbo or the same engine and just work on it
Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by 914max
im still here doing my thing want to do a turbo swap too but thats for after the engine gives up dp you think i should throw in the 300zx tt after and add a regular turbo or the same engine and just work on it
You have much to learn grasshopper. You should really rethink your plan if you looking at doing a 300zx TT motor.

Quick Reply: 1st & 2nd Gens are fading away.....