1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Weekly Check-ins

Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Weekly Check-ins

Seems all of us 2nd gen owners should at least check in once a week or, preferably sooner!

Did a little "road warrior" work this past week, twice down to Venice FL (270 miles round trip) and once to Orlando (140 miles), the old girl did beautifully, ran strong, and now is at 190K miles. Should change out the water pump soon, has developed a TINY leak when sitting (like about 5 drops from the size of the damp spot). Will do a coolant system flush when I do the pump...

All is well in 2nd gen land!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by seabob4
Seems all of us 2nd gen owners should at least check in once a week or, preferably sooner!

Did a little "road warrior" work this past week, twice down to Venice FL (270 miles round trip) and once to Orlando (140 miles), the old girl did beautifully, ran strong, and now is at 190K miles. Should change out the water pump soon, has developed a TINY leak when sitting (like about 5 drops from the size of the damp spot). Will do a coolant system flush when I do the pump...

All is well in 2nd gen land!
You're doing better than me. My attempt to change out the heater core a few months ago was thwarted by the need to be able to drive the car to work the following Monday (my GP had been in an accident and was at the body shop). It's leaking to the point that the new Lloyd's Velourtex Mats now have a stain on the driver's side where my heel goes...substantial soak thru. But I think the Ulitmat in color Space Grey would be a better match anyway. There's a purple tint to the carpet that the Velourtex carpet doesn't have...more of a blue tint.

So I've got two major items to replace...the flexplate and the heater core (full dash removal, and from what I saw at the first attempt, it's not the first replacement of the heater core). The antenna now fully works but it doesn't help the reception of the radio one bit...I'm wondering if the three lower "wires" of rear defogger not working have something to do with this.

The windshield washer reservoir continues to loose its juice despite being taken apart and resealed with silicone last week. Even let it sit a couple days before I refilled it so I'm beginning to wonder if it's the pump itself or if it still might be the seal between the pump and the reservoir.

From how it drives otherwise, I have no doubts this car could make it to 200K+...it was a Colorado car so there's basically no rust on the body...and the engine is generally a fine running VG.

Last edited by delerium75; 07-07-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Mine's a FL car, still have original owner's manual packet, bought at Fairway Nissan (now Ferman) in New Port Richey, so likewise on the no rust deal.

Since it's summer and you don't need heat, why not pull the hoses off the firewall going and coming from the core and create a loop? That way it won't keep dripping on your floor. Heater cores had to be invented by the devil, or at least their locations!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Mine has been doing well, my rack and pinion leak is back (grrrrrrrrrrrr) so I will have to get another one, think rear main is leaking a bit, the intake I put on seems to be working well (havent taken any pictures of that yet) but I'm going to be reworking that soon.

hoping the road up to the Sandia crest opens soon with all the rain we have been getting so I can take a late night drive.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Guess I've been lucky, no leaks at all from anything...'cept the little drib from the water pump. That WILL get swapped out this upcoming week along with the radiator flush. Might regret that flush!

Did her oil change a couple weeks ago at 188,700, after this week and last, now at 189, 600. Checked the oil yesterday, not only did the old girl not use any, but the oil was still the pretty amber of new oil. Damn I love the VG30!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Im gonna check in! So far I got the 86' completely gutted. except for the steering system and wiring to make it run. Next step ALL 2nd Gen Wiring is coming out and getting replaced with a brand new 4th Gen wiring harness. If I could sell my 5 Speed Swap for the 2nd Gen then I could buy the flywheel and clutch. After that it is probably going to go to the Unibody frame guys to straighten the rear end out. Unless someone wants to sell me a shell for 300.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 PM

I'm still looking for one. I just saw a 87 Wagon on Craigslist with 30k on it one owner for $3000.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
I'm still looking for one. I just saw a 87 Wagon on Craigslist with 30k on it one owner for $3000.
DAMN!!! 30K miles? You gotta link? Would love to see that one...
Old 07-13-2013, 05:19 PM

I was looking for the link to post the other day, but the ad was removed. =(
Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Did my water pump swap and radiator flush the other day, kinda figured flushing out 26 years of "stuff" might send the cooling system into a funk, but all is good. Running a couple ticks cooler on the temp gauge now, although the highest it's ever been is right on dead center until the fan kicks in...
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM

I've got a weird deal. Clutch reservoir will get a little low, I can tell when I push the clutch in, just a slight jerky feeling like the clutch wants to engage. Add a bit of fluid, all is well. So there has to be a leak...but no signs of it anywhere! We have a concrete driveway, so a leak and drip would show...but nada. Topping off the reservoir takes maybe a tablespoon.

Betcha it's in the line that runs from the reservoir to the slave cylinder. The part that disappears then reappears...
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM

I've got a weird deal. Clutch reservoir will get a little low, I can tell when I push the clutch in, just a slight jerky feeling like the clutch wants to engage. Add a bit of fluid, all is well. So there has to be a leak...but no signs of it anywhere! We have a concrete driveway, so a leak and drip would show...but nada. Topping off the reservoir takes maybe a tablespoon.

Betcha it's in the line that runs from the reservoir to the slave cylinder. The part that disappears then reappears...
could be your master or slave cylinder, check under the master on the fire wall, and the rubber boot over the push rod on the slave, and if the fluid is dark at all flush out the line..... more then likely your slave could go for a rebuild....
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM

well got my first ticket since I got my DL back, a whole 22mph in a 18mph
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
well got my first ticket since I got my DL back, a whole 22mph in a 18mph
Huh?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM

Vern, new slave, master is good but I'll probably swap it out for new (cheap), but no indications of leakage. When I feel like it, new master and new line...
Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Huh?
I was without a DL for like 3 years at one point and had been ticket free since getting it back on 5/11 till now.......
Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 AM
I love lamp.

A place that has a speed limit of 18mph??
Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 PM

I know, I know! 220 in a 180! Decimal points! Damn Vern, you were bookin!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM

Sup guys.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Dude, that looks like...my car!

And why the F does my sig not show up!!

Last edited by seabob4; 07-27-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM

My 86 is currently at the bodyshop getting straightened out after someone rear ended me. I am still waiting on funds to purchase the fidanza flywheel and clutch for the vq that will be going in there. I am starting to sort out all the wiring too for it so once I get it back it will be nice and ready to drop the motor and the wiring harness in it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Damn, my bad, been a bit since I checked in. Did a job over in Daytona this past week, took the Max, ran perfectly as usual. On a 2 lane, behind about 4 cars and the lead slow truck (on 50 for those of you in Central Florida), got on it to pass, went from 52 to 80 in no time flat, left it in 5th gear...

Love the mid-range ooomph of the VG30!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM

Yeah, Im actually surprised at how the car picks up to pass people without downshifting. Makes me hate the automatic in my last one. Haha

Boxy Maximas for lifeeeee.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

well then guess ill check in LOL!

what yall been up to!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 PM

well picked up another car, if she runs the maxima might go down for a build, if not she will get the build first i think....

http://forums.maxima.org/other-cars/...er-cousin.html
Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 AM

Interesting car. There was a one owner coupe exactly like that for sale two months ago here in NYC. I wanted to go look at it, but I didnt. I didnt wanna end up falling for it's rarity and wanting to buy it. lol
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by vernk
well picked up another car, if she runs the maxima might go down for a build, if not she will get the build first i think....

http://forums.maxima.org/other-cars/...er-cousin.html
My buddy in O-Town many moons ago had that same vintage 200SX, 'cept in the "notch back" style. 5-speed, pretty quick little car!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
Interesting car. There was a one owner coupe exactly like that for sale two months ago here in NYC. I wanted to go look at it, but I didnt. I didnt wanna end up falling for it's rarity and wanting to buy it. lol
My buddy in O-Town many moons ago had that same vintage 200SX, 'cept in the "notch back" style. 5-speed, pretty quick little car!
yea a 1983 200sx hatchback was my first nissan many rides ago, it was a MN car so it was all rusted out and such, this one is a one owner car the guy bought it brand new drove it till about 15 years ago, parked it next to his house, put one ad on CL 5 years ago, I didn't have money for it at the time but went to look at it anyway, had some extra money so sent him a email to see if he still had it and he did...... kinda worked out all the way around since during a storm a tree went though his roof and he needed it out of the way...
Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM

Cool! Like to see her cleaned up...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Cool thing the other day. Sitting at a light next to an older couple in an Accord. Dude keeps looking at the Max, I had the windows down and roof open (370 air, y'know...), turn the radio down, he asks the year. '87 I tell him...and it's a 5 speed! Man, his eyes just lit up!

I drove away with a smile on my face...
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM

Hey all. I just joined and would like to check in. I have a 1987 Nissan Maxima SE (der) with a 5 speed manual. I got it for free a week ago from a good friend of my family. He bought the car off the showroom floor in 1987 and babied it ever since. It has 212k on it and everything still works for the most part and the interior doesn't have any rips, no cracks on the dash, or anything really. Very surprised. He gave me the shop manuals and everything as well.

I am 14 and about to turn 15 in December. This is the car I am learning to drive a stick on and I am loving it! None of the gears grind and the clutch is surprisingly forgiving.

The car had a few engine issues though. The car has a bad engine mount and it was running on only 4 or 5 cylinders too. I changed the spark plugs and now it's a full fledged V6 VG30E again. Motor mount is still worrying me.

Other than a couple of rust spots and the deteriorating lip spoiler, and the fact that the whole engine bay needs alot of TLC. It is pretty good shape.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 PM

Bige long time no hear lol. What have you been up to??
Old 08-30-2013, 04:15 PM

well looks like the 200 doesn't want to run and since the interior is in poor shape, I guess the 200 will be getting a engine upgrade first along with body work and such.....
Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 PM

this is g, my 88 max is running like a champ, still looking for one drivers side a pillar, my clips broke, my customization is almost complete, crazy this one piece is holding up major progress, also, it's good to be back on the forum, Big e Dog, welcome back my brother, keep em rollin forum family. g
Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 AM

Gscars i have all trim what chu need lol i got it all. We need to get somekind of 2nd gen photo shoot set up or something.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM

I'm going out to wash mine right now. May have to take a few new pics...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Well she got a fresh wash, an Armor-All of the dash this early evening...

Name:  NewMaximaPics002_zps22fa4be3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  276.2 KB

Name:  NewMaximaPics001_zps0999c536.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  252.0 KB

Now for a fresh wax tonight. I use Turtle Wax Carnauba, I know, Turtle Wax, but it works rel well for me, really restores the shine on 26 year old paint (will be 27 in Nov), and doesn't break the bank...
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Ive yet to actually detail my interior and take good photos. Actually, I havent documented everything yet to compile into one thread. Soon though. im just annoyed with the blown suspension right now. Like really annoyed.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 AM

Sorry about that TA. To me what's really amazing is that after almost 27 years living in FL, there is not a single crack on top of the dash! Buddy of mine bought an '06 RAM 2500 in like '08, had a crack on top of the dash like a frickin canyon! I was like, WTF is that, dude!!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:47 PM

A bit late for the weekly check in, love bugs are killing me down here! Worst month we've had in a long time! (We get them May and September down here...) The new coat of wax helps big time, but still have to break out the Windex and paper toweling when I get home. Oh well, a couple more weeks, they'll be gone.

192K miles now and counting! She's a happy girl!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weekly Check-ins