1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Haunting electrical issues with proof - the Truth is out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Haunting electrical issues with proof - the Truth is out there

haunting or daunting? whatevah.

Hi Then and Hello Again,

Several years ago I inherited a 2nd Gen with 35k (yes, thirty-five) miles on it. I don't want to get in to why I let it sit in the driveway to rot but, I finally found a worthy family to give it to.

Anyways... I slapped in a new battery, ran the engine for several minutes to tune, turned it off then walked inside to sleep. ~1 hr later I was woken up by some duma$$ beeping their car horn. dit - dit - dit - dit-dit- dit dit ditditdit WAAAAAIL.........! It didn't matter that it was 2pm (I've worked graveyard shift for mukti-decades by choice)

Armed with a baseball bat I went outside to teach someone some manners only to find it was my car.. the Maxima. I pulled the battery cable as a quick quit then looked for something obvious. I reconnected the batt then "walla"! The horn was off.... for 5 minutes. Solid wail.

While troubleshooting I eventually just pulled the horn fuse and tugged on wire harnesses to no avail. .

Then it got really weird as if the car (or my aunt) was trying to tell me something.

At this point the horn relay is energized (horns disco'ed) with the battery connected (on a float charger), otherwise running great purring like a kitten. I figured "it's just the single horn wire grounding out. no big" and went on about the day.

A half day later, the high beams and stop lights start flashing at a constant rate. on-off-on-off-on-off. I figured the alarm but I had trouble recalling if the factory alarm actually flashed the high beams and tail lights,. Inserting the key through the door and/or ignition did NOT stop the flashing lights (and horn relay clicking). I pulled the battery cable off (and I was relieved that everything stopped).

I let it sit as I rummaged through all my stockpiled crap looking for the Haynes manual that I had purchased when fixing intermittent vapor lock or clogged fuel line/filter issues (it was actually the distributor)... until now, the Maxiam's current state is a constant on horn, high beam, and tail light (all 3 stop lights), no flashing.

Although I am pretty certain that the car's computer wasn't really sophisticated enough to operate the alarm, I pulled it out only because I never bolted it back under the seat. I'm assuming there s another module somewhere that does the factory alarm stuff. (I really need a wiring diagram and I truely cannot remember if the alarm flashed the horn, "high" beams and brakes lights or not. Regardless , everything stopped flashing and is on solid now).

So my question for the Forum is:

Is the Maxima f'ing haunted? perhaps possessed by my aunt (actually was my mom's friend before i was born) pissed that I let her car rot or is this something someone has experienced before?

I'm still searching for the service manual (since I'm trying to give the car away for free I have troubling issues with thoughts of purchasing another one ... Anyone that can shoot me a wiring diagram or can take a quick glance to direct me to a harness that contains all the fore mentioned, puhleeze?)

I vaguely remember reading about an engine harness that did stuff similar, however, given the diversity of wire faults I figured it has to be a harness leading up to the tree (steering column); but wiring at a quick glance and probe (multimeter) shows no obvious signs of trouble or trauma.

I really don't believe in ghosts but if someone insists or triple dares me (doubles I can pass up but..) , I can check for magnetic fields from .1 to 100+ milligauss or electric fields mW/cm^2 (some equip lab calibrated/certified). I already know for "fact" if I record random (white) noise for a period of time then filter, equalize, compress, etc. I will eventually hear someone say, 'GTFO of my car" so I won't bother.

Any "other" ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

You people do rock!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

update:

I just pulled the 2 connectors to the module that operated the door's keypad (in the trunk).

Now the high beams are off but the rear stop lights (all 3) are still illuminated. Crap. I forgot to check the horn relay.

Can someone give me a pin out of that module? I'd be much obliged
Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you sure it's not a 57 plymouth fury?!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:20 PM

clean your grounds and all your connectors...
Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by NaCl73
Are you sure it's not a 57 plymouth fury?!
You mean Christine...good movie.
As long as the car doesn't start killing people while slowly possesing your mind body and soul, I'd venture to it being an electrical issue.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:17 PM

if you haven't yet disconnect the alarm system (under the rear deck in the trunk), or it might be as simple as using the key to unlock the drivers door to turn the alarm off....