4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Difference between GXE, GLE, SE

Old 04-29-2001, 04:36 PM

What is the difference between GXE, GLE, and SE. I have a GLE, and all of the options are in the car, cd player, leather, no spoiler, but the bose sound system and all. i dont see what the difference is in a GLE and an SE but the wheels??? How do you rate the maximas between these three stock ?
Old 04-29-2001, 05:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by cRedrum
What is the difference between GXE, GLE, and SE. I have a GLE, and all of the options are in the car, cd player, leather, no spoiler, but the bose sound system and all. i dont see what the difference is in a GLE and an SE but the wheels??? How do you rate the maximas between these three stock ?

GLE has a lot of stuff stock that the SE has as an option:
leather
bose CD
automatic tranny

SE has different wheels, spoiler, white face gauges, stiffer suspension (not sure about that 1, that's how it is on the 3rd gens though) 5spd manual tranny stock, automatic is an option...

GXE is the most basic, cheapest thing, if you get it without anything, youd have a car with no ABS, steel wheels with hub caps, no spoiler, no BOSE, 5spd manual, no sunroof, no leather. On the SE you can get all the stuff that is on the GLE as an option.

#1 luxury wise = GLE, #2 SE, #3 GXE

To me, the best is a fully loaded SE w/ 5spd. more options.
Old 04-29-2001, 05:04 PM
OG

SE=Sports model; Spoiler, white faced gauges, stiffer springs, alloy wheels, body color door handles
GLE=Luxury model; wood grain dash, bose system, no spoiler, premium wheels, chrome door handles

There's more and I'm sure others will list em.
Old 04-29-2001, 05:06 PM

yeah, but if you modify a GLE (Suspension, rims, exhaust, etc.) it will be just as good as an SE stock or modifyed SE with the same aftermarket suspension, rims, exhaust, etc. right ?
Old 04-29-2001, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get so many variations of the GXE and the GLE but the SE has everything. I have a GXE that is stock but has the comfort package. My cousin has a GLE that looks like an SE less the Bose System. All engines are the same. I was at a meet here in MA and to my surprise I found out that in the GXE, it can be governed to 115 MPH. I guess I was luck when I bought my GXE. It has been up to 125 so I know it will do 137. The GLE is more luxurious more like the I30. If you ask me its the twin for the I30. The SE has a stiffer suspension while the GXE and the GLE share the softer suspension. I love the ride on long trips. There may be more differences but I don't know of any others at this point.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:46 AM

The GLE comes standard with sunroof, alloy wheels, leather, Bose Sound System, power drivers seat, cruise control, remote power trunk lock, security system, woodgrain dash and a popout drawer that glides out under the radio. The SE can be optioned out with everything except for the woodgrain dash and the popout drawer. Deezo has it backwards, the GLE comes with everything except for the Meridian Package (heated seats, low washer fluid light,etc.), while the SE has to be optioned up to that level. I am in the process of moding my GLE (R) and when it is done, the only way you would be able to tell that it was a GLE on the outside would be the door handles and the chrome door surround. Its easy to tell from the inside though.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:50 AM

Forgetting that

The SE is the only car to come with fog lites stock
Old 04-30-2001, 10:57 AM

Re: Forgetting that

Just a quick question here. I bought my car used and they didnt know exactly what was on it. I have a GXE with power seats, power windows, power locks, and its Automatic. No BOSE system. Does this GXE have the comfort package or is it just a bottom of the line Maxima? Oh its a 97 if that makes a difference. Thanks
Old 04-30-2001, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
The GLE comes standard with sunroof, alloy wheels, leather, Bose Sound System, power drivers seat, cruise control, remote power trunk lock, security system, woodgrain dash and a popout drawer that glides out under the radio. The SE can be optioned out with everything except for the woodgrain dash and the popout drawer. Deezo has it backwards, the GLE comes with everything except for the Meridian Package (heated seats, low washer fluid light,etc.), while the SE has to be optioned up to that level. I am in the process of moding my GLE (R) and when it is done, the only way you would be able to tell that it was a GLE on the outside would be the door handles and the chrome door surround. Its easy to tell from the inside though.
Somehow I knew I would be corrected. You learn something everyday. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2001, 01:22 PM

Re: Re: Forgetting that

Originally posted by SB97MAX
Just a quick question here. I bought my car used and they didnt know exactly what was on it. I have a GXE with power seats, power windows, power locks, and its Automatic. No BOSE system. Does this GXE have the comfort package or is it just a bottom of the line Maxima? Oh its a 97 if that makes a difference. Thanks
If you have power seat, then your car should have the C&C package. Intermittent wipers should also come with this package. There is much more to the list but I don't recall now
Old 04-30-2001, 01:44 PM

SE standard package

I thought the SE came standard with a few things that you can't get on the other models delivered from Nissan, which is stiffer springs and anti-sway bars front/rear. Am I wrong?
Old 04-30-2001, 01:50 PM

Re: SE standard package

Originally posted by Gary95
I thought the SE came standard with a few things that you can't get on the other models delivered from Nissan, which is stiffer springs and anti-sway bars front/rear. Am I wrong?
I dont' believe Max's come with swaybars at all.
Old 04-30-2001, 02:01 PM

Re: Re: SE standard package

Originally posted by deezo

I dont' believe Max's come with swaybars at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought SE Maxs came with a limited-slip differental. I know the Stanza had one and I was pretty sure the Alitma had one has well. If this is true, is it possible to swap one into my 95 GXE?
Old 04-30-2001, 03:39 PM

No LSD for you. BTW, ALL Maximas come with power windows and door locks, so no one has to post those as options. The SE comes standard with fogs and the spoiler, but were options for the two other models.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:04 PM

I wonder if you can go to a dealership with a GLE and tell them to install foglights just like an SE...Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:16 PM

See my car? Thats a GLE with foglights. You really can do this yourself, the whole kit costs ~225 and takes less than an hour to install.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:24 PM

See my car? Thats a GLE with foglights. You really can do this yourself, the whole kit costs ~225 and takes less than an hour to install.
no **** ? what kind of foglights do you have and what all do you have to get ???? whats the best kind of foglights out there right now ?
Old 04-30-2001, 05:36 PM

They are Nissan OEM foglights, ordered from the dealership. The part number is 999F1-7F000 (this is the kit number for the '95-'96 model years), cost ~225, can be installed at home with only an exacto knife and a screwdriver needed, and comes with everything that needs to be added to the car. NOTE: your car must have at least a GXE w/ the C&C package in order to have the factory prewiring. The GLE is already prewired.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:47 PM
Maxima Princess

Re: Re: Re: Forgetting that

Originally posted by Hercules

If you have power seat, then your car should have the C&C package. Intermittent wipers should also come with this package. There is much more to the list but I don't recall now
Yeah I belive I have the C&C Package now, all the extras...even chrome door handles grill It's so purdy...
Old 04-30-2001, 09:52 PM

Just so you know, the package names, what the options actually are in the package, and what option packages you need to advance to the next package under the different trims changes a little every year..... For instance the cold weather package in 97 included

low windshield washer wiper fluid light
better battery
heated seats
heated mirrors

but in 98 there was no cold weather package, but rather a package called deluxe seating package which included the options above along with front side airbags.......

So one person may say 1 thing, while another says another; and technically they both could be right, especially if they are dealing with cars from different gen's, but the basic foundation of how the packages work is consistent throughout all years..... The easiest way to think of it is

GXE - Base
SE - Sports Edition
GLE - Grand Luxury Edition

Some like the GXE because they'd rather save the couple grand when they buy the car, since they are going to swap out the suspension, etc. already... Some prefer the SE since its the sports model and has no governor from the factory and can be equipped with (almost) all the options as the GLE and comes out from the dealer looking really nice.... Some prefer the GLE since it offers a quieter, smoother, more relxed ride right from the begining... So whatever floats your boat I guess, or wallet for that matter...

-Nate
Old 05-01-2001, 06:14 AM

Go here for the specifications of your Maxima:

http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/maxspecs.html

Later,
-Nick
Old 05-01-2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Nick
Go here for the specifications of your Maxima:

http://www.geocities.com/jgadlage/maxspecs.html

Later,
-Nick
Thanks for the link, nick. And Nate, that was a great summarization of the different models.

Here's the SE suspension for '95:
* Front: Independant MacPherson struts
* Rear: Multi-Link beam suspension
* Front and rear stabilizer bars
* Engine speed-sensitive power-asssisted rack-and-pinion steering
* Sport-tuned suspension- Firmer springs, front struts and rear shock absorbers
liquid filled compression bushings, urethane front suspension bushings

So it wasn't anti-sway bars at all. They're stabilizer bars. What's the difference?

The other notable addition is the liquid filled compression bushings.

I'm going to install front and rear strut tower braces to see how that helps with body roll during sharp cornering.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:14 AM
Maxima Princess

Ijust remembered the other question I had....I notice I have the digital odo....but I don't see my trip meter?? I have the button you can push sticking out of the dash to reset it, but I don't actually see the meter that it's going to reset??? Could mine not be working?? Or do I just not have one? And if I dont have one, what will happen if I push the button? I dont want to reset my regular odo??? Or if I push it will it switch over to the trip meter?? I'm so confused..
Old 05-01-2001, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Sarah99GXE
Ijust remembered the other question I had....I notice I have the digital odo....but I don't see my trip meter?? I have the button you can push sticking out of the dash to reset it, but I don't actually see the meter that it's going to reset??? Could mine not be working?? Or do I just not have one? And if I dont have one, what will happen if I push the button? I dont want to reset my regular odo??? Or if I push it will it switch over to the trip meter?? I'm so confused..
I don't have the digital odometer, so I can't really help you, but I'm sure that there is information on that in your owner's manual.
Old 05-01-2001, 01:02 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by Nick

I don't have the digital odometer, so I can't really help you, but I'm sure that there is information on that in your owner's manual.
I'm sure there is...I just haven't made it that far yet
Old 05-01-2001, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Sarah99GXE
Sarah,

If you push the button once, it will switch from the ODO to trip....it is impossible to reset the ODO...and if you switch to the trip and you then HOLD DOWN the button...the trip meter will reset. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:20 PM

Yes, also you have 2 trip meters. Starting from the odo, push once goes to trip meter A, push again and it goes to B. Push and hold while you are at A or B, and that counter resets to zero.

DW

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Sarah,

If you push the button once, it will switch from the ODO to trip....it is impossible to reset the ODO...and if you switch to the trip and you then HOLD DOWN the button...the trip meter will reset. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:48 PM

Front what I know, here's the differences...

Engine:
All the same (for 95-99). Differences are: electronically controlled liquid filled engine mounts on the GLE and SE AUTO. GXE AUTO and all 5sp have liquid filled engine mounts that aren't electronically controlled.

Performance:
GXE models without the security and convience package had a top speed limit of 112mph due to tires. GXE models WITH the package and SE and GLE models did not have a speed limiter (they had at least H rated tires). They are drag limited to around 140mph. I believe the security and convience package on the GXE's required the automatic transmission, so 5sp GXE models had the limiter.

Suspension:
The SE has spring rates that are approximately 50lbs heavier (stiffer) on the FRONTS only. The rears are the same.

Exterior: (for 1997) SE had 16" rims and fog lights, and body colored door handles, grill, and rear spoiler. GXE had wheel covers on 15" wheels, and GLE models has alloy wheels from '95-'96 SE models. The GXE and GLE models both had a shiny grill cross bar and door handles. Variable intermittent wipers were standard on the GLE, and required security and convience package for the GXE and SE as was keyless entry.

Interior: GLE has a standard BOSE sound system. SE had a headunit that looked like the BOSE as standard (tape and CD and tweeters), but wasn't a BOSE. The GXE had a tape deck as standard (which appeared to be a clarion made unit used in the 240sx as a BOSE head unit.) The SE models had white faced gauges, while the GXE and GLE had black faced. GLE models had faux wood trim on the center console and power window switch areas. GXE and SE models had black trim on the center console, and interior colored accents on the power window switches. I believe the SE's also had leather wrapped steering wheels.

Options:
SE models were basically GXE models with white gauges, a leather wrapped steering wheel, body colored exterior, a spoiler, 16" alloy wheels, and fog lights. You could not option up the GXE to a GLE level, but could option up a SE to a GLE (which would actually cost more than a GLE). Climate control was standard on the GLE, but optional on the SE, and not available on the GXE. Heated seats was on option on all models.

-V
Old 05-03-2001, 06:31 PM

yea it wasn't really a summary, I was just trying to prevent any arguments that might occur in this post; just trying to say that both parties could be right for a specific year/trim

-Nate
Old 05-04-2001, 02:10 PM

I wonder if you can go to a dealership with a GLE and tell them to install foglights just like an SE...Just a thought.
Sure you can, but if you want, you can order a kit and do it yourself. The hardest thing to do is cutting out the holes to mount the fogs.
Old 05-04-2001, 03:20 PM

Canadian models differ slightly from their American counterparts. SE's in Canada (I think since 1997 or 1998) come fully loaded (leather, sunroof, bose, heated seats) and have a limited slip differential. My SE also has the factory wood trim.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:29 PM

Suspension Differences

For '98/99 the suspension differences:

SE: Sport-tuned suspension - Firmer springs, front struts and rear shock absorbers; liquid-filled transverse- link compression bushings; urethane front-suspension pivot bushings.

The GLE has the liquid & urethane too. No sway bar in the rear on any model, although I think the the lateral link performs the locating function without the associated inside wheel lift problem, but also without the roll control.

Bob
Old 05-06-2001, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Evan
Canadian models differ slightly from their American counterparts. SE's in Canada (I think since 1997 or 1998) come fully loaded (leather, sunroof, bose, heated seats) and have a limited slip differential. My SE also has the factory wood trim.
Is it possible to swap the limited-slip diff into my 95 GXE? Also, I have wood trim in my car. That did'nt come from the factory, right?
Old 05-06-2001, 06:04 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by gakary54

Is it possible to swap the limited-slip diff into my 95 GXE? Also, I have wood trim in my car. That did'nt come from the factory, right?
Not sure about the limited-slip diff but you can buy a wood trim kit to install in your car.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:05 PM

GXE the basic max

GLE is same as SE except

SE u can get manual, GLE u get wood trim

just depends on wat u want..
Old 08-06-2001, 10:23 AM
spreng

Originally posted by Gary95

* Front and rear stabilizer bars

So it wasn't anti-sway bars at all. They're stabilizer bars. What's the difference?

According to NADA, there is no difference. This is from their glossary:

"Stabilizer Bar
A metal bar, usually in a rough U-shape, which links wheels on opposite sides of the car. It tends to keep the wheel motion similar for each side, thus it reduces the roll or sway of a car. As a result, it is frequently also called a roll bar or sway bar. Almost always installed on the front suspension, but many touring or performance cars use rear stabilizer bars also.

Interestingly, the ADDCO rear sway bar is 19mm (7/8") while the stock is one is a much larger 31mm (1 1/4").

Patrick

Old 08-06-2001, 10:57 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by spreng

Interestingly, the ADDCO rear sway bar is 19mm (7/8") while the stock is one is a much larger 31mm (1 1/4").

Patrick
NO 4th or 5th gens come with a rear sway/stabilizer bar of any kind. I know some sources say different, but if you get under there and look, you won't find one. They ALL have one in the front.

Also, one thing that you have all forgotten:

GXE OWNS jOO!!!

(But, the GLE gets props for the pop-out drawer and the fuzzy A-pillars)
Old 08-06-2001, 11:20 AM
spreng

Originally posted by mzmtg

NO 4th or 5th gens come with a rear sway/stabilizer bar of any kind. I know some sources say different, but if you get under there and look, you won't find one.
For the record, here are three sources that say different:

- My 1998 Maxima sales brochure has this information: "Rear Suspension - Rear Multi-Link BeamTM suspension with 31.8 mm stabilizer bar."

- The new car window sticker from my car says the car has "Front and rear stabilizer bars."

- The ADDCO web site has this footnote for its Maxima rear sway bar "13. This bar is an original factory type replacement which mounts in the factory location..."

Don't you find it odd that they are all wrong about this.

Patrick

Old 08-06-2001, 11:25 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

NOTE: your car must have at least a GXE w/ the C&C package in order to have the factory prewiring. The GLE is already prewired.
Not true. My 97 GXE does not have the C&C package, and it was pre-wired for the OEM forlight kit.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by spreng

For the record, here are three sources that say different:

- My 1998 Maxima sales brochure has this information: "Rear Suspension - Rear Multi-Link BeamTM suspension with 31.8 mm stabilizer bar."

- The new car window sticker from my car says the car has "Front and rear stabilizer bars."

- The ADDCO web site has this footnote for its Maxima rear sway bar "13. This bar is an original factory type replacement which mounts in the factory location..."

Don't you find it odd that they are all wrong about this.

Patrick

Do you see one under there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between GXE, GLE, SE