5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help! cant bleed clutch...I cant drive my Max

Old 06-02-2004, 03:26 PM

Help! cant bleed clutch...I cant drive my Max

I had to replace my clutch slave cylinder because it was leaking, so obviously air got into the system and I cant seem to bleed it, I have been doing it for 15-20 min and no fluid comes out, pedal still has no pressure The master is full and I am doing the procedure properly (hose over bleeder screw into full container, release while someone presses down the clutch)
Old 06-03-2004, 05:59 AM

come on now...no one here has had to bleed their clutch before?? man, this sucks I still cant get any pressure on the clutch, I am going have to tow this thing to dealer.......
Old 06-03-2004, 06:11 AM

Make sure there is no bleeder valve between the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder that you missed.

One of these would make bleeding a lot easier.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:32 AM

Thanks Charlie...I went to sears and picked this tool up. Unfortunately still got no fluid pressure out of the system, pedal on the floor. I browsed the internet some I saw some stuff about having to "pressure" bleed hydraulic clutches instead of vacuum bleed.
The basic problem is that when the clutch pedal is pressed the clutch master cylinder isnt pumping out any fluid (yes, its full!). So its either bad or has to be bled properly.....
Has anyone replaced their clutch master cylinder before and run into this?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kiosk
Thanks Charlie...I went to sears and picked this tool up. Unfortunately still got no fluid pressure out of the system, pedal on the floor. I browsed the internet some I saw some stuff about having to "pressure" bleed hydraulic clutches instead of vacuum bleed.
The basic problem is that when the clutch pedal is pressed the clutch master cylinder isnt pumping out any fluid (yes, its full!). So its either bad or has to be bled properly.....
Has anyone replaced their clutch master cylinder before and run into this?
you're welcome. It could be that your master cylinder is bad. It uses the same fluid as the slave cylinder does so whatever caused the slave to leak could have also affected the piston cups in the mc. You need to bench bleed the new mc if you decide to replace it. I have used a vacuum bleeder to bleed a hydraulic clutch before.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:02 PM
ABS

I don't know about the '00 and '01 model years, but '02 and later has a second bleeder valve for the clutch above the driver's side strut tower. I just bleed my clutch without any problems, but I did not replace any hardware. Per charliekilo's comments, I know brake master cylinders do require bench bleeding prior to install and I also think the vacuum tool should work even without the bench bleeding since it is based on suction. Pressure bleeding should work too. Even gravity feed could work . . . Make absolutely certain that your bleed valve is fully open/loose on your slave cylinder . . .
Old 06-07-2004, 03:07 PM

SOLVED! First off I want to thank Charliekilo3 and ABS for pitching their thoughts on this one, the vacuum bleeder was a most have tool and it helped get the job done a lot quicker....

Here was the problem, it turns out the pedal was adjusted too low, so after I drained the fluid it was not letting the piston in the master clutch cylinder to go all the way back and open to allow more fluid into the slave, thats why i couldnt get any pressure in the pedal.
So after I re-adjusted the pedal to let the piston travel all the way it immediately sucked all the fluid and I was able to then vacuum bleed with no problem.

So if this happens to you, check your pedal adjustement!
Hope this helps someone in the future....The Max is up and running again!!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 04:35 PM

SOLVED! First off I want to thank Charliekilo3 and ABS for pitching their thoughts on this one, the vacuum bleeder was a most have tool and it helped get the job done a lot quicker....

Here was the problem, it turns out the pedal was adjusted too low, so after I drained the fluid it was not letting the piston in the master clutch cylinder to go all the way back and open to allow more fluid into the slave, thats why i couldnt get any pressure in the pedal.
So after I re-adjusted the pedal to let the piston travel all the way it immediately sucked all the fluid and I was able to then vacuum bleed with no problem.

You're quite welcome. Glad that you got it figured out and back in service.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:26 PM

yup, im bringing up an old thread....... i think this is my problem here