Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Newbie! How to add clearcoat to the dull paint?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Newbie! How to add clearcoat to the dull paint?

My car have a stream of stain on the hood. I tried using a couple of chem. to remove it. Paint thinner, alcohol, etc. None of them works. Finally I used a rubbing compound and the stain it gone. Here's the problem, I removed the clearcoat also. I need help in getting the clearcoat back on the car. I got a bottle of clearcoat from Paintscratch.com. There wasn't any damage to the paint.

What are the step to correct this problem?

I'm thinking of getting a polishing bit and hook it up to a drill.
Apply clearcoat on the car and polish it until dry. Will this method works?

Any advice?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:15 AM

You used PAINT THINNER on your cars finish??????????
Old 09-16-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Monkey1313
You used PAINT THINNER on your cars finish??????????
Yup, I put some on a towel and use it to rub the stain for a minute. It didn't work and I wash the area afterward.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You probably oughta do some more reading up on proper car paint care before you mess with your car's paint anymore. I would suggest taking it to a professional (NOT Maaco or the like!). It's pretty easy to screw up the finish if you don't do it right.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:24 AM

If your clear coat is gone/worn off, and all you see is the dull basecoat, the only way to fix it is to have it repainted.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by wylie-c
If your clear coat is gone/worn off, and all you see is the dull basecoat, the only way to fix it is to have it repainted.

The clearcoat kind of worm out. I want to know if this can be done in the garage. If not, i'll just leave it alone.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM

Hold on a minute here.....

1) EXACTLY what "rubbing compound" product did you use?

2) How long or hard did you work the area?

3) Does the paint just look dull and hazy but smoothly transitions to the shiny paint? OR does the paint in the area actually look different (basecoat) and you can see a visible "ring" around where the two paint types meet each other?

You can usually see the border between basecoat and clearcoat paints because they look very different.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:40 AM
OG and counting...

In addition to what Bman asked, do you see any other spots that look like the clearcoat is failing?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bman
Hold on a minute here.....

1) EXACTLY what "rubbing compound" product did you use?

2) How long or hard did you work the area?

3) Does the paint just look dull and hazy but smoothly transitions to the shiny paint? OR does the paint in the area actually look different (basecoat) and you can see a visible "ring" around where the two paint types meet each other?

You can usually see the border between basecoat and clearcoat paints because they look very different.
1. I got the rubbing compound from Paintscratch.com.

2. I use a cloth and apply the beige compound on the the cloth. I rub it for like a minute. I did it in a up and down motion.

3. The paint looks dull. The surface of the hood is smooth. I didn't see any metal etc. The paint was not damage. The basecoat is still there, is just lost the gloss or shine.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by PrinzII
In addition to what Bman asked, do you see any other spots that look like the clearcoat is failing?

Naa, other than the spot I use the compound on. The other part is fine. My car was re-paint from the previous owner. Over all after one year, she still had the shine when I first brought her.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:51 PM

Was this the product you used? http://www.paintscratch.com/rc.htm

If so (and assuming you didn't really lean on it) then I doubt that you actually removed your clear coat.

Clear coat IS paint, not the shine/gloss/bling, and it shouldn't be possible to rub through it that easily. It is paint that has no colour, that's all. It sounds like all you did was dull the surface a little bit because the rubbing compound (maybe in combination with the cloth you used) was on the "coarse" side. A finer polish like a pre-wax cleaner or scratch remover should fix it. Go to your local Pepboys or Autozone or whatever and they'll have one of these.

It's JUST like sanding wood furniture. Instead of using a fine 600 grit or something you picked up 240 grit and left the surface rough and scuffed up. Go and get some finer sandpaper and in the future try gentler products first to fix paint problems. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:24 PM

exactly what bman said, all you need to do is polish that bad boy and give her some wax and you should be fine. if you removed the clear coat you would know, trust me. there would be a ring and it would probably be peeling based on what i have seen on cars with clear coat that has been destroyed. Good luck!

-Tom
Old 09-20-2004, 10:23 AM

Was this the product you used? http://www.paintscratch.com/rc.htm

If so (and assuming you didn't really lean on it) then I doubt that you actually removed your clear coat.

Clear coat IS paint, not the shine/gloss/bling, and it shouldn't be possible to rub through it that easily. It is paint that has no colour, that's all. It sounds like all you did was dull the surface a little bit because the rubbing compound (maybe in combination with the cloth you used) was on the "coarse" side. A finer polish like a pre-wax cleaner or scratch remover should fix it. Go to your local Pepboys or Autozone or whatever and they'll have one of these.

It's JUST like sanding wood furniture. Instead of using a fine 600 grit or something you picked up 240 grit and left the surface rough and scuffed up. Go and get some finer sandpaper and in the future try gentler products first to fix paint problems. Good luck.
Yes, that's what I used to remove the stain.

Thanks for you info, let me try it this weekend. Yes, it looks dull with no shine. Anyone have any DIY instrution to apply clear cloat? Can I do it with a brush? Get a can of spray clear coat? thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Max96GLE
Yes, that's what I used to remove the stain.

Thanks for you info, let me try it this weekend. Yes, it looks dull with no shine. Anyone have any DIY instrution to apply clear cloat? Can I do it with a brush? Get a can of spray clear coat? thanks
.....you didn't read the last 2 paragraphs in my post did you?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:55 AM

.....you didn't read the last 2 paragraphs in my post did you?
Sorry about that, I thought Clear Coat gives it a gloss. I guess I was wrong.
I will get some pre-wax cleaner or scratch remover and see how it goes.

thanks man