5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do GXE, GLE & SE stand for?

Old 07-08-2001, 11:35 PM
RBa

So does anyone know?
Old 07-09-2001, 12:09 AM

I've pondered this myself.

GXE = i dunno
SE = Sport Edition
GLE = General(?), Grand(?) Luxury Edition

Old 07-09-2001, 03:32 AM
lymby

GXE is extended edition
GLE is luxury edition
SE is sports edition

The "G" I don't know what that stands for.

Old 07-09-2001, 03:34 AM

This is probably wrong but it could be like with Hondas...

DX(Honda)=GXE(Nissan)=Delux

SE=Plain ol' Sport Edition

LX(Honda)=GLE(Nissan)=Luxery
Old 07-09-2001, 03:41 AM
lymby

how about infinti

I-35 the "I" must be for Infiniti but
Q-45 what does the "Q" stand for.

VW-
GL- standard or
GLS- mid-standard
GLX- Luxury

Old 07-09-2001, 06:23 AM

They have no actual meaning. Most manufacturers trim level designations don't mean anything by themselves, unless we are talking engine size. The engine size is usually in the model number, i.e. Q45, I35, G20, but the letters don't mean anything by themselves. There is a general exception to this however. An X at the end of a model designation, usually means 4WD.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
They have no actual meaning. Most manufacturers trim level designations don't mean anything by themselves, unless we are talking engine size.
I wouldn't say that. The SE stands for Sport Edition -- even Nissan's website says that. The XE/GXE/GLE designations are a little more cryptic, but probably mean something. 'E' probably is always for Edition. The 'L' in GLE is almost certainly for Luxury, but who knows for the 'X' and 'G'.

The GM ones make more sense: SE = Standard Edition, GT = Grand Touring, SS = Super Sport, etc. I actually had one guy with a Grand Am GT comment to me at an autox that my Altima (SE) did pretty good for the base model. I had to explain that SE meant Sport, not Standard like on Pontiacs.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:51 AM

Creature, you just proved my point. They model designations don't make any sense. So, yes, SE stands for Sports Edition as per Nissan, but why wouldn't they tell you what GLE or GXE stand for? Because they don't stand for ANYTHING. Car manufacturers these days are running out of original model designations, so they throw letters around. The letters don't mean anything, in general.

Some that don't make sense. GXE, GLE, GTP, SEL, SSEi, GL, SH, HX, CX, CE, DL, DX, LX, RS, TL, ES....
Old 07-09-2001, 05:42 PM

Some that don't make sense. GXE, GLE, GTP, SEL, SSEi, GL, SH, HX, CX, CE, DL, DX, LX, RS, TL, ES....
Umm, actually GTP and SSEi do stand for something, the pontiac Grand Prix GTP Stands for Grand Touring Performance and the ssei is the bonneville Super Sport Edition (something - i fporget what the i is but it does have a meaning).

And as for the rest:
GXE = Grand Xtra Engine
SE = Sporty Engine
GLE = Grand Luxo Engine

wioth the Maxima it always comes back to the engine...
Old 07-09-2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Ironlord

Umm, actually GTP and SSEi do stand for something, the pontiac Grand Prix GTP Stands for Grand Touring Performance and the ssei is the bonneville Super Sport Edition (something - i fporget what the i is but it does have a meaning).

And as for the rest:
GXE = Grand Xtra Engine
SE = Sporty Engine
GLE = Grand Luxo Engine

Uh, nice try with that. Grand Xtra Engine
Old 07-09-2001, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by AdamK
This is probably wrong but it could be like with Hondas...

DX(Honda)=GXE(Nissan)=Delux

SE=Plain ol' Sport Edition

LX(Honda)=GLE(Nissan)=Luxery
What about the EX though...isn't that Honda's top edition?
Old 07-10-2001, 12:22 AM

i thought it was grand luxury edition (GLE)
Old 07-10-2001, 12:34 AM

i think outta all these alphanumeric names i like BMWs the best. higher the number, the better/more expensive the car. although i dont get how they get the numbers and why theyre all odd...
Old 07-10-2001, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The real breakdown of the letter designations:

GXE = Good but Expensive Edition - When you discover that it’s quite costly to upgrade to all that GLE standard equipment you now want.

SE = Snob Edition - That rear spoiler lets everyone think you’re a real car enthusiast on his way to the track.

GLE = Grand Letdown Edition - When you find out that a less expensive GXE would have performed the same.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:15 AM

It's all thought up by psychologists...they was to make you think of sex. Why else would they put S and X in every models names. You never see the Nissan Altima KL, or the Ford Explorer RFT
Old 07-10-2001, 09:27 AM

I always thought it was this...

GXE = Grand(?) Base Edition
SE = Sport Edition
GLE = Grand(?) Luxury Edition

I think X represents Base because it doesn't sound good if it was GBE!

I could be wrong!

-Nick
Old 07-10-2001, 09:30 AM

Creature, you just proved my point. They model designations don't make any sense. So, yes, SE stands for Sports Edition as per Nissan, but why wouldn't they tell you what GLE or GXE stand for? Because they don't stand for ANYTHING. Car manufacturers these days are running out of original model designations, so they throw letters around. The letters don't mean anything, in general.

I wouldn't say they're running out of letter combinations. I mean, the Nissan ones have been around 15-20 years now. I admitted in my post that some of the letters are a mystery to us, but I do imagine that they mean something to the car companies, and that they didn't just start pulling letters out of a hat. Most of those are from Japanese companies, so the letters may come from their loose translation to English of what they call the model there.

As stated, GTP is Grand Touring Performance, SEL (actually SE-L) is Sport Edition Limited, the lower-case "i" after many of them (SSEi, LXi, Si, 325i) is a carry-over from when they started producing models with fuel-injection back in the 80's, HX is for High-efficiency (it's the high-mpg Civic 3-dr), CX is for Continuously-variable (it's the Civic with the CVT), RS is Rally Sport (in the case of the Impreza), TL is Touring Luxury. The rest I'd be guessing.

I do agree that most of them are cryptic and don't mean anything to the general public (aside from identifying trim levels) but I have to believe they mean something somewhere.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by bcannon
It's all thought up by psychologists...they was to make you think of sex. Why else would they put S and X in every models names. You never see the Nissan Altima KL, or the Ford Explorer RFT
Hehe ... wouldn't it be cool if Nissan added an AWD option for the SE model ... we-d have the Maxima SE-X!
Old 07-10-2001, 01:15 PM

The first number is the model line (3 = small, 5 = medium, 7 = large) and the remaining 2 numbers are engine displacement. 28 = 2.8L, 40 = 4.0L So we all want an M350

Originally posted by Ludacris
i think outta all these alphanumeric names i like BMWs the best. higher the number, the better/more expensive the car. although i dont get how they get the numbers and why theyre all odd...
Old 07-10-2001, 02:07 PM

dont let Cheston see this thread, he is very sensetive when seeing GXE and SE on the same sentence.

BTW, Cheston, if you see this, we all know GXE is way better than SE! :rolleye:
Old 07-10-2001, 02:11 PM

Some of them do mean something.

Lexus ES=executive sedan
Lexus GS=grand sedan
Lexus LS=luxury sedan
Lexus SC=sport coupe

Acura RL=road luxury
Acura TL=touring luxury
Acura CL=coupe luxury

Honda Accord DX=deluxe
Honda Accord SE=special edition

Toyota Camry DX=deluxe
Toyota Camry CE=classic edition

Chevy Cavalier RS=rally sport

Frankly, I don't care what they name it just as long as people don't mistake the model for something else.
Old 07-10-2001, 05:29 PM

didnt some people say RL could also have stood for "Renamed Legend"?

i think these are right...

CLK- Coupe/Convertible Luxury Kompressor
SLK- Sport(?) Luxury Kompressor
Old 07-10-2001, 06:31 PM

And as for the rest:
GXE = Grand Xtra Engine
SE = Sporty Engine
GLE = Grand Luxo Engine

The i in SSEi is for the supercharged (I don't know why they picked i). They have Bonneville SE, SLE, SSE, and the SSEi.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

What about the EX though...isn't that Honda's top edition?
duyyyyyyyyeeeeeeee EX is Executive how could I have forgot
Old 07-10-2001, 07:16 PM

didnt some people say RL could also have stood for "Renamed Legend"?
Actually, I think it stands for "Refined Legend"
Old 07-10-2001, 07:20 PM

they use to have a 6th series and a 8th series
Old 07-10-2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by stevepake
Actually, I think it stands for "Refined Legend"
Actually it stands for rally luxury.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by bert
The first number is the model line (3 = small, 5 = medium, 7 = large) and the remaining 2 numbers are engine displacement. 28 = 2.8L, 40 = 4.0L So we all want an M350
BMW screws around with the displacement numbers a bit.

The old 323i was still a 2.5L engine, but they left room for the 325i which was still a 2.5L I6, but with a higher performance intake and some other goodies to give it more power.

The 540i and 740i are actually not 4.0L V8's but rather 4.4L V8's. The 750i is actually a 5.4L V12 and not a 5.0L engine. I think in these cases the 40 or 50 numbers stands for a class of displacement - i.e. "4.0L class, or 4.x Liter" and 50 stands for a 5.x liter engine.

Mercedes is also a bit cryptic with their displacement designators. The current C240 is a 2.6L V8, and not a 2.4L engine. The "55"'s (CL55, CLK55, E55, and ML55) are really only 5.4L V8's. And the current 600's are really 5.8L V12's.

In this premium category, the even numbered displacements are more to define a "class" of performance or displacement rather than the actual displacement.

If you're paying $20-30k extra for the V12 in your Benz, would you rather have a cheapo odd-ball 580 designation or a much cooler 600 designation to set you apart from the wussies driving the mere 5.0L V8 with "only" 300HP!! bwahahaha!

My favorite is the old Mercedes-Benz 190E. It first had a 1.9L I4, but then they put a bigger 2.3L engine in it but it was still the same car so they called it a "190E 2.3" or a "190E 2.6" or whatever. I'm sure there's tons more history too.

Sometimes the names are cryptic and sometimes they're not, but it's usually "ballpark" heh heh
Old 07-10-2001, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by stevepake
BMW screws around with the displacement numbers a bit.

The old 323i was still a 2.5L engine, but they left room for the 325i which was still a 2.5L I6, but with a higher performance intake and some other goodies to give it more power.

The 540i and 740i are actually not 4.0L V8's but rather 4.4L V8's. The 750i is actually a 5.4L V12 and not a 5.0L engine. I think in these cases the 40 or 50 numbers stands for a class of displacement - i.e. "4.0L class, or 4.x Liter" and 50 stands for a 5.x liter engine.

Mercedes is also a bit cryptic with their displacement designators. The current C240 is a 2.6L V8, and not a 2.4L engine. The "55"'s (CL55, CLK55, E55, and ML55) are really only 5.4L V8's. And the current 600's are really 5.8L V12's.

In this premium category, the even numbered displacements are more to define a "class" of performance or displacement rather than the actual displacement.

If you're paying $20-30k extra for the V12 in your Benz, would you rather have a cheapo odd-ball 580 designation or a much cooler 600 designation to set you apart from the wussies driving the mere 5.0L V8 with "only" 300HP!! bwahahaha!

My favorite is the old Mercedes-Benz 190E. It first had a 1.9L I4, but then they put a bigger 2.3L engine in it but it was still the same car so they called it a "190E 2.3" or a "190E 2.6" or whatever. I'm sure there's tons more history too.

Sometimes the names are cryptic and sometimes they're not, but it's usually "ballpark" heh heh
Personally I like the old 5.0! As in the Ford Mustang 5.0L engine that was actually 4.9L. One of the most popular engines and designations and its wrong. Go figure -> Its a Ford.

Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily
Old 07-10-2001, 08:55 PM

Personally I like the old 5.0! As in the Ford Mustang 5.0L engine that was actually 4.9L. One of the most popular engines and designations and its wrong. Go figure -> Its a Ford. Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily
Really? :

I never knew that. Haha...even at 4.9L that poor old engine STILL couldn't manage to break the 50HP/L barrier.

bwahahaha!
Old 07-10-2001, 09:12 PM

RL=road luxury. Acura even has that on their old Acura RL ads.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:49 PM
lymby

Originally posted by bcannon
I think BCANNON has a point. When you sit in the showroom deciding on which model to buy, you look at the brochure and listed right there next to each other are the SE model and the GLX model. The brain computes SE or GLX; SEX or GLX; SLX or GSE; then the brain gets all confused and you end up buying something boring like something that ends in CL or TL. But even Acura, they know that CL is a boring series, that is why they enhanced it by adding an 'S' to it.

How come they don't use the letter F,H,J,P like a JP series maxima, meaning 'J'ust 'P'erfect.

What do you think.

Old 07-10-2001, 11:22 PM

Personally I like the old 5.0! As in the Ford Mustang 5.0L engine that was actually 4.9L. One of the most popular engines and designations and its wrong. Go figure -> Its a Ford.

Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily
Or you can say

Ford= Found On Road Dead