Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How to set up the settings on a 4 channel amp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:36 AM

How to set up the settings on a 4 channel amp?

Hey, I was wondering what is the best way to set up the treble and bass settings on a 4 channel amp? The way I am setting up my system, is two 2 way infinity speakers up front (channels 1 and 2), and two 3 way infinity speakers + one 12" polk sub (channels 3 and 4, 4th channel will also power sub), and use stock headunit.

What is the best way of setting the amp settings up?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Isn't that going to be a weak sub?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:14 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

There isn't, nor will there ever will be, a standard method for setting the treble, bass, gain, etc. on an amp. Each one will be different depending on how you like your music, HU, speakers, subs, etc.

You will simply have to tweak them until you find something that you like.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
There isn't, nor will there ever will be, a standard method for setting the treble, bass, gain, etc. on an amp. Each one will be different depending on how you like your music, HU, speakers, subs, etc.

You will simply have to tweak them until you find something that you like.
Well, I didn't ask for a standard :-p. Just wondering what the best way of doing so is, because awhile back, I remember reading that you should turn your head unit up 80% of the max volume, and set amp accordingly from there, but I'm not sure if thats for a 2 channel amp and subs.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Actually there is a standard for setting your gains so there is no clipping. Other than that Metal Maxima is correct. The proper way to set your gains is to use a DMM. The get a 50 hz Sine wave at 0 DB and burn it onto a CD. Then calcualte how much power your amps puts out in what ohm it is. For example, if you have a 100 watt amp and running it at 4 ohms you would do 100(watts) x4(ohms)=400. Then find the Square root of 400 which is 20. Now that you know that, turn the volume on you HU to about 75% with all EQ's and settings flat. Connect the DMM to teh amps output with the speakers disconnected. Set the DMM to VAC(Volts AC) and raise the gain the gain until the DMM reads 20 volts. Now you have correctly set your gains so there is no clipping and reduces the risk of damaging your equipment greatly. You can then adjust teh settings on the HU but do no max anythinig out because that will cause clipping.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jigga123
Actually there is a standard for setting your gains so there is no clipping. Other than that Metal Maxima is correct. The proper way to set your gains is to use a DMM. The get a 50 hz Sine wave at 0 DB and burn it onto a CD. Then calcualte how much power your amps puts out in what ohm it is. For example, if you have a 100 watt amp and running it at 4 ohms you would do 100(watts) x4(ohms)=400. Then find the Square root of 400 which is 20. Now that you know that, turn the volume on you HU to about 75% with all EQ's and settings flat. Connect the DMM to teh amps output with the speakers disconnected. Set the DMM to VAC(Volts AC) and raise the gain the gain until the DMM reads 20 volts. Now you have correctly set your gains so there is no clipping and reduces the risk of damaging your equipment greatly. You can then adjust teh settings on the HU but do no max anythinig out because that will cause clipping.

Well then, I guess I can't do any of that so I'm gonna go by ear :-p. I dunno, I'll get a friend of mine, who is good with the electronics to reread your post and help me take care of it, thanks man!