3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

windshield wipers quit....wiper motor or relay?

Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 AM

windshield wipers quit....wiper motor or relay?

Hey today of course while it was raining my wipers quit on me.

Im lookin at the FSM diagram but im drawing a blank on something. where is the relay at under the hood? and would them stopping be the motor itself or just the relay? im guessing its not the wiper control as none of the positions on the wipers work.

anyway whats the easiest way to figure out what my problem is?

ps this isnt fun
Old 01-29-2006, 10:05 AM

ok well i did hear the motor trying to move the wipers but its for maybe a split second you can hear the motor. but the wipers dont budge at all.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like the motor to me. I had similar symptoms on a car I used to have.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

could also be the wiper linkage... there's a plastic piece that will break over time
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 AM

is it raining there now? I'm sorry if it is, but some rainex will help out some until you can get them fixed, but I'm guessing you already thought of that
Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes, check the linkage. Somehow the one in my VE got bent, and therefore no matter how many times I would put it back on, it kept rubbing and popped off. Got another for $1 from a junk yard and its worked fine since.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:20 PM

my motor was intermitently working on my 93, it only worked in one speed. it ended up being the motor(i swapped the switch first, then the motor and it worked.) if it doesnt make a sound, check your fuses, them see if a buddy will let you swap motors( i happened to have my 89 too!) thats the easiest way to tell.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Alex_V

Ive got a parts car if you need any parts, fast. Of course picknpull always has 3-5 maximas too.

~Alex

Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 AM

ok i did the rainX because i knew i was going to have to if they were gonna stop working.

i went outside to the car and said some choice words to teh wiperz and sorta budged them up and down maybe 1/2" up and down, tried the wipers and nothing. fast forward 25 minutes when i need to go somewhere and they started working. first time they sounded like they were going to break. but then they seemed fine. they worked this morning fine.

so im thinking this linkage, where is the linkage located? alex ill def. get a hold of you if i need some parts.

btw, thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:49 PM

sounds like a motor to me. linkage is either broken or not it doesnt fix itself.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:12 PM

ok is that thing under the cowl?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:06 PM

motor is on the cowl on the pass side, linkages are in the cowl. the motor and linkages are a biatch to have pop back together once theyre taken appart, otherwise its a couple of 10 mm bolts
Old 01-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Welcome to my world dude, well not anymore since you got them workin temporarily..mine keep blowing 20A fuses and its not the motor, relay, or switch..I dont know what else could cause a short beside a wire.

I've been driving without wipers for like 2-3 months now..I'll let you in on a lil secret since you might need it someday. When using RainX be sure to drive 20MPH+, if you're not using RainX then you need to speed up to 45MPH+ and the water should start flying off upward. I'm telling you it works like a charm, oh and if its just drizzle and it doesnt fly off simply let some water accumulate on your car then stop hard and water will fall forward on your windshield clearing the view. Hope these steps work.

Hey perhaps someone can help me too since I mentioned what seems to NOT be the problem.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:00 PM

ok......

1. you jacked my thread

2. ive been using rainX and driving even before you got off your moms teet.

3. im just messin with you on both 1 and 2. lol

anyway your problem i cant figure out. good luck with it.

and thanks shavedmax, ill try to get amotor off of alex
Old 01-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Welcome to my world dude, well not anymore since you got them workin temporarily..mine keep blowing 20A fuses and its not the motor, relay, or switch..I dont know what else could cause a short beside a wire.

I've been driving without wipers for like 2-3 months now..I'll let you in on a lil secret since you might need it someday. When using RainX be sure to drive 20MPH+, if you're not using RainX then you need to speed up to 45MPH+ and the water should start flying off upward. I'm telling you it works like a charm, oh and if its just drizzle and it doesnt fly off simply let some water accumulate on your car then stop hard and water will fall forward on your windshield clearing the view. Hope these steps work.

Hey perhaps someone can help me too since I mentioned what seems to NOT be the problem.
you answeared your own question, its a shorted wire or a frayed wire if you only blow the fuses intermitently. start ghettofying by making your own harness and having wipers before you hit someone
Old 01-31-2006, 12:39 PM

Hey I noticed in the diagram that the wiper fluid motor is in the circuit too perhaps that could be bad? I'm gonna give it a shot by unplugging it and puttin in a fuse to see if it still blows it, if it does then at least I can say that I tried by eliminating possibilities then get that short fixed. Does anyone know how to access the windshield wiper fluid reservoir/motor since its somewhere in front of the right front wheel?

tripleG didnt mean to hijack your thread lol...yes I know I'm a damn Colombian..

shavedmax thanks for the reply on that, I want them working but I dont want to have another switch added to the car but I'm sensing that I'll have them fixed within this month. also I'm wondering, is that your Maxima in that J-LO and P.Diddy video? I just thought of your Max and it looks similar..is it you?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:24 PM

im pretty sure shavdmax wasnt talkin bout puttin in another switch, but a new one.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Hey I noticed in the diagram that the wiper fluid motor is in the circuit too perhaps that could be bad? I'm gonna give it a shot by unplugging it and puttin in a fuse to see if it still blows it, if it does then at least I can say that I tried by eliminating possibilities then get that short fixed. Does anyone know how to access the windshield wiper fluid reservoir/motor since its somewhere in front of the right front wheel?

tripleG didnt mean to hijack your thread lol...yes I know I'm a damn Colombian..

shavedmax thanks for the reply on that, I want them working but I dont want to have another switch added to the car but I'm sensing that I'll have them fixed within this month. also I'm wondering, is that your Maxima in that J-LO and P.Diddy video? I just thought of your Max and it looks similar..is it you?
you may be able to get to the motor from underneath the car, under the pass side splash shield. i doubt that's it. but its worth a try. have you actually switched the motor out? because maybe the motor is shorted internally too.

and no , the only video my car was on is the etown one n34jz took. if its an old video the car is actually a mitsubishi diamante my friend owns. there was a grey caddy in it too
Old 01-31-2006, 02:18 PM

Well, my conclusion on saying its not the motor, relay, switch is because I disconnected 1 by 1 and put in a fuse and still blowing them, I unplugged all 3 at same time and still blew a fuse so I dont think motor is bad.

Isnt the car in that video a 3rg gen though? dont look like a diamante..I think its for the video "I'm gonna be alright" if you havent seen it check it out launch.com