Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

New ghetto lower air dam..

Old 03-14-2006, 12:19 PM
retired moderator

New ghetto lower air dam..

I've been trying to think of a way to improve the below-car aerodynamics a bit, just for the hellovit but didn't want to "buy" a lower lip or any of that crap, so....went to the junkyard to see what I could find. This is "step 1" towards making something that actually has an effect....I don't expect this by itself to do all that much.

What I ended up getting is the middle lower rubber air dam from a Ford Taurus, which I secured to the underside of the maxima, about a foot behind the bumper. In this location, it should deflect air at higher speeds that otherwise would be "crashing" into the bottom of the tranny, lower tie bar, and other various un-aerodynamic crap down there. At least that's the idea.

yeah, it looks a bit ghetto, but it sits back from the front of the bumper but you can't see it unless you get down near the ground and look under the car....standing up, it is not visible AT ALL from 20 feet away...

not bad for a $3 piece of junk from the yard

EDIT: clearer pics added
Old 03-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Does it worth it?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice idea. What is next? How about the rest of the air that flows under the car towards the back? Are u gonna design some type of under carriage fin to channel the air?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:54 PM
VIP Maxima

bleh, that just blocks airflow....

Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Does it worth it?
I won't know until it's out on a highway or road course.....

if it's not, I'm out 30 minutes of my life and $3
Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
bleh, that just blocks airflow....
no, that would be your body kit that "blocks" airflow
Old 03-14-2006, 01:01 PM
VIP Maxima

actually my bodykit cuts through air its stillen's mad tyte aerodynamics. werd dawg !

Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
retired moderator

actually my bodykit cuts through air its stillen's mad tyte aerodynamics. werd dawg !
I give you high props for how your car looks (very, very nice)....but my boring/ugly max would take you in any performance event (drag, autocross, road course, etc) we have different goals, needless to say

if you think my car looks ugly now, though, wait until you see it with the bronze 5zigens on it at the track....then it looks REALLY ugly...
Old 03-14-2006, 01:27 PM
VIP Maxima

i never made any comments on your cars visual apperance

lets swap wheels and see who would win at the track

Old 03-14-2006, 01:44 PM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Them sound like fighting words to me
Old 03-14-2006, 02:21 PM

I don't think that it will do anything on an auto-x track. But on the highway you might lower you mpg's alittle, it doesn't look like it is shaped the correct way to add downforce.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

looks good to me...

I would love to create an entire front splitter though...cause we don't know for how long that would divert the air...it might still hit it then scoop right back to still hit on the ltb and such...an entire front splitter that would cover almost all of the undercarriage would be great and perhaps one with channels or scoops that direct air to the front brakes...too bad I am not handy or creative, otherwise I would have already custom fabbed a front splitter...

I guess what we would have to do next is make the entire underbody more aerodynamic from there...

if you've ever seen the bottom of a elise for example, you would see the entire underbody is not exposed...and is completely smooth...unfortunately, this makes it near impossible to work underneath the car if need be...but certainly has it's benefits!

I would have to say nice work irish! can't wait to hear your testimonial on it when you get out to the track...I would venture that this would be only beneficial on higher speed road coarses...
Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by irish44j
I give you high props for how your car looks (very, very nice)....but my boring/ugly max would take you in any performance event (drag, autocross, road course, etc) we have different goals, needless to say

if you think my car looks ugly now, though, wait until you see it with the bronze 5zigens on it at the track....then it looks REALLY ugly...
quit bragging irish

Old 03-14-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Woody
I don't think that it will do anything on an auto-x track. But on the highway you might lower you mpg's alittle, it doesn't look like it is shaped the correct way to add downforce.
i dont think its for downforce, its way to flimsy to do that. its more to reduce drag on the underside of the car
Old 03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
vsamoylov

no, that would be your body kit that "blocks" airflow
any data to back this up?

Old 03-14-2006, 06:52 PM
retired moderator

I'll freely admit that my car is often ugly....many paint chips, roof rack, ugly track wheels, etc etc.

Tell ya what, you drive over here to Virginia, and I'll race you with my heavy G35 18's

Originally Posted by woody
I would tend to agree that any downforce it adds would be minimum (if any)...some suction downforce, perhaps, but nothing that could be really noticed. Why would you think it would LOWER the mpg's?? Deflecting air with a smooth surface is preferable to having it run along the lower front end of the car (LTB, etc)

for an example of this, look at my roof rack. Thule (and other rack companies) make the "fairing" for the front to deflect air away from the bars, which create much more drag than the fairing does. Same concept applies here.

Originally Posted by mccwebdesign
I would love to create an entire front splitter though...cause we don't know for how long that would divert the air...it might still hit it then scoop right back to still hit on the ltb and such...an entire front splitter that would cover almost all of the undercarriage would be great and perhaps one with channels or scoops that direct air to the front brakes...too bad I am not handy or creative, otherwise I would have already custom fabbed a front splitter...

I guess what we would have to do next is make the entire underbody more aerodynamic from there...

if you've ever seen the bottom of a elise for example, you would see the entire underbody is not exposed...and is completely smooth...unfortunately, this makes it near impossible to work underneath the car if need be...but certainly has it's benefits!

I would have to say nice work irish! can't wait to hear your testimonial on it when you get out to the track...I would venture that this would be only beneficial on higher speed road coarses
like I said, "baby steps" - I have other plans for underbody smoothing, but they will have to wait until I have better facilities to work in (read: a house with a garage)....then I will be doing some fabrication of some more effective underbody components.

I will agree, that it will have no effect on autocross, just higher speed road courses.

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
quit bragging irish
I'll extend the challenge to you too....and you live local so you can't back out (obviously, this will not apply to drag since you have a VQ35 swap and drag is all about raw power)...April 1st - better be at Ripken

any data to back this up?
wtf.....yes, I tested it in the wind tunnel in my basement....wtf...
Old 03-14-2006, 06:59 PM
vsamoylov

I'll extend the challenge to you too....and you live local so you can't back out (obviously, this will not apply to drag since you have a VQ35 swap and drag is all about raw power)...April 1st - better be at Ripken

how about you be at dyno day on april 8th?
and about drag, i take off in second gear lol
a wind tunnel in a basement? let me come

Old 03-14-2006, 07:04 PM
VIP Maxima

when the vsamoylov move outta cali? wtf?

Old 03-14-2006, 07:06 PM
vsamoylov

when the vsamoylov move outta cali? wtf?
last year man.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mccwebdesign
looks good to me...

I would love to create an entire front splitter though...
Here's a couple of pictures of one that I built for the SE-R.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4bddh/id6.html
Old 03-14-2006, 07:14 PM
retired moderator

how about you be at dyno day on april 8th?
and about drag, i take off in second gear lol
a wind tunnel in a basement? let me come

I might go just for the hell of it....though I care "not at all" how much power (numerically) the car puts down,personally....I'll just go for the sake of being able to tell people how much power x mod + y mod + z mod are good for, for reference sake.

I should hope that your VQ35 puts down more power than a lightly modded VQ30....seriously.

Don't worry, I'll drag once this year, just for the sake of doing it. No need for you to start in 2nd....
Old 03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
vsamoylov

I might go just for the hell of it....though I care "not at all" how much power (numerically) the car puts down,personally....I'll just go for the sake of being able to tell people how much power x mod + y mod + z mod are good for, for reference sake.

I should hope that your VQ35 puts down more power than a lightly modded VQ30....seriously.

Don't worry, I'll drag once this year, just for the sake of doing it. No need for you to start in 2nd....
we will find out how much mine will put down. my guess is close to a bone stock 5.5 gen or a little more. i just want to see my air/fuel ratio

Old 03-14-2006, 07:26 PM

I like the idea... however since its made of rubber, won't that just bend back when you're going at high speeds? How flimsy is it? Seems to me like it may even flap around and make annoying noises if the wind catches it right.

On the other hand another good thing I'd like to point out about this is that it doesn't effect your car's clearance.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:33 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by trigger005
I like the idea... however since its made of rubber, won't that just bend back when you're going at high speeds? How flimsy is it? Seems to me like it may even flap around and make annoying noises if the wind catches it right.

On the other hand another good thing I'd like to point out about this is that it doesn't effect your car's clearance.
actually, it is pretty sturdy. I can bend it by pushing hard with my hand, but doubt it will move unless at VERY high speeds...it has rubber stiffening ridges and is about 1/2" think...not flimsy stuff. It was made to do the same thing on the Taurus that I'm using it for...so it should be ok.

I took it up to around 70mph on the highway tonight and had a guy I work with drive next to me and see that very thing - he said it didn't appear to be distorting at all, though it was fairly dark, being night time
Old 03-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Props to Josh for taking the initiative and coming up with what seems to be a good & beneficial mod, instead of just saying “someone should try this”.

Nice job Josh
Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM

I took it up to around 70mph on the highway tonight and had a guy I work with drive next to me and see that very thing - he said it didn't appear to be distorting at all, though it was fairly dark, being night time
You need to use that fancy camera mount with the suction cups to get a vid of it at high speeds, then you'll know for sure.

Btw, I guess you deleted the thread in the 5th Gen forum because of all the idiotic comments?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
You need to use that fancy camera mount with the suction cups to get a vid of it at high speeds, then you'll know for sure.

Btw, I guess you deleted the thread in the 5th Gen forum because of all the idiotic comments?
that's an idea though I will have to find an empty road in the middle of nowhere - not doing that on the beltway

yeah, the thread in the 5th gen forum was getting to be too much work, responding to the idiots...it's a good thing I'm not a moderator, or I'd hand down the "stupid question/stupid comment" bans alot
Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 PM

that's an idea though I will have to find an empty road in the middle of nowhere - not doing that on the beltway
If you do find one, you wanna make some exhaust sound clips for me?

Originally Posted by Irish44J
yeah, the thread in the 5th gen forum was getting to be too much work, responding to the idiots...it's a good thing I'm not a moderator, or I'd hand down the "stupid question/stupid comment" bans alot
I was gonna post this in response to the "track car" comment, but didn't get a chance.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:08 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I was gonna post this in response to the "track car" comment, but didn't get a chance.

I wouldn't mess with that car, it has a good driver is awd, and he can drive it faster than most.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
I wouldn't mess with that car, it has a good driver is awd, and he can drive it faster than most.
Exactly.

Actually, at Ripken, there were 2 drivers rotating with that car; they were both nuts and put down some pretty damn good times.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:19 AM
this place is dead

I'll

like I said, "baby steps" - I have other plans for underbody smoothing, but they will have to wait until I have better facilities to work in (read: a house with a garage)....then I will be doing some fabrication of some more effective underbody components.

I will agree, that it will have no effect on autocross, just higher speed road courses.

What, you mean your neighbors wouldn't approve of you doing some fiberglass work on the sidewalk? Or just make the splitter in your back yard, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Wow, I never knew you had a wind tunnel.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Lightly modded

Nice job Josh. This is just one more of your ideas that I will attempt to steal Kind of reminds me of the black plastic splitter thing on some of the 97-98 240SX's, although in a different location.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
retired moderator

car on the left, FTW

Old 03-15-2006, 05:19 PM
this place is dead

car on the left, FTW

Didn't that guy beat the Gayata?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
retired moderator

Didn't that guy beat the Gayata?
what happens in Frederick...stays in frederick.

but, yes.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:04 PM

yeah, the thread in the 5th gen forum was getting to be too much work, responding to the idiots...
Man, my first post in months and it gets deleted along with all the other stupid comments! I guess I'll ask again. How did it handle on the highway? I am looking for something to improve my handling at highway speeds. The Max is a little too flighty at times.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:07 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Dustyroads
Man, my first post in months and it gets deleted along with all the other stupid comments! I guess I'll ask again. How did it handle on the highway? I am looking for something to improve my handling at highway speeds. The Max is a little too flighty at times.
dude its not goign to improve handling at highway speeds. if you want improvements get the suspension done first.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:11 PM

dude its not goign to improve handling at highway speeds. if you want improvements get the suspension done first.
Suspension is just about as done as it can get. Eibachs and Tokico Illuminas. Also have the FSTB and RSB, but those don't really help on the highway. What else would you suggest?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Driving is the next best thing

I don't understand how you guys can complain about highway handling with aftermarket suspension. I'm on stock springs and shocks and my car handles very good at any speed under 110mph.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:22 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Dustyroads
Suspension is just about as done as it can get. Eibachs and Tokico Illuminas. Also have the FSTB and RSB, but those don't really help on the highway. What else would you suggest?
lower tie bar - stage 2...makes the biggest difference in highway stability, IMO.

as to this "mod" on the highway - hard to tell today, since it was very windy. It's so subjective....I "felt" like the car was a bit grabbier on the high-speed corners, but my mind could have just as easily been playing tricks on me....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New ghetto lower air dam..