Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 06-25-2003, 07:30 PM   #1

Timing marks on a vg30e

I just bought a rebuilt 92 vg30e engine replacing a blown engine in my 94 max. The old engine and shop manual has the cam timing marks at 11 o-clock for the rear and 1 o-clock for the front (roughly). The new engine timing marks are at 3 o-clock for rear and 1 o-clock for front

Are there differences on different year model engines? Is the 92 engine miss marked? My shop manual is for a 94. Does any one have a 92 manual they could check on this for me.
Nismomaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Points: 11,225, Level: 69 Points: 11,225, Level: 69 Points: 11,225, Level: 69
Activity: 2.2%
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

Send a message via AIM to todamax
sounds like the rear is off...I wonder how that works?
WRECKED 10/20/07: 92' SE Auto, rebuilt VTCs, Ported upper and lower intake manifold, Nissanworks Spacer kit, FSTB, RSTB, ST sways, Eibach and Koni. 16" 2K SE wheels/BFGoodrich KDW. ASP UDP, WSP Y-Pipe and cat back, 5-spd swap. JWT ECU, Fidanza, ACT, B&M 4th gen Short Throw, PlaceRacing CAI, Groundwire Kit. Brembo Sport rotors.

Interior Mods: Katzkin two-tone leather interior, HUD from early 3rd gen, 5th gen Titanium edition shift ****

fquick page
todamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #3

Do you know if this engine is good? The engines are the same. I don't know if you noticed but there is a stamped dot on the backing plate of the Timing belt cover.
dsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #4

Yes, the engine should be good. The stamped dots are the ones I'm confused about because they are different than the other engine and the shop manual.
My first intuition is to just go with the alignment marks no matter where they are located and my second is to find someone who agrees that its possible to have different locations of them. I'm under the impression that all cams are the same, (for that engine) and don't want to trash an engine because of improper timing belt instillation.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:48 PM   #5

Does the timing belt have marks on the outside of the belt?
dsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have you tried manually turning your new engine to see if the valves contact the pistons? Just thinking that if you try this, and there is contact, then you'd know for sure that the timing marks are off on your new motor (that's all assuming you haven't already heard it running?). I've no experience with the timing belt yet (doing mine this weekend), but everything I've seen says the marks should be as you described for your old engine - 11 and 1 (roughly).
shvelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 05:45 PM   #7

Re: Timing marks on a vg30e

Quote:
Originally posted by Nismomaxt
I just bought a rebuilt 92 vg30e engine replacing a blown engine in my 94 max. The old engine and shop manual has the cam timing marks at 11 o-clock for the rear and 1 o-clock for the front (roughly). The new engine timing marks are at 3 o-clock for rear and 1 o-clock for front

Are there differences on different year model engines? Is the 92 engine miss marked? My shop manual is for a 94. Does any one have a 92 manual they could check on this for me.

No, there is no difference on a VG30e engine with reguards to the timing marks from 1985-1994

11 o-clock and 1 o-clock roughly is correct.

A cam that is 3 teeth out "Will" make the valves hit the pistons. I have seen this done at our dealership by a couple of tech's
KAWAZILLA12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:53 PM   #8

I'm gona line them up at 11 and 1 using the old timing belt back cover. I sure hope it is the correct way. I can't find anywhere where it says they should be any other way. Even the timing belt kit instructions say 11 and 1. Thats for 6 different make cars. Thanks every one!!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:56 AM   #9

I have some pics of mine when I took it apart if that would be helpful. I have an 89se. The marks on the cover are white highlighted and the ones on the cams are red. BTW mine was off by 3 teeth on the front cam when I got the cover off! No interference but confused the heck out of me for a while, I just set it back and put the belt on. Runs great now. Shoot me an email if you want the pics.
Steve
89sks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:56 AM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement