3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

replacing bose head unit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

replacing bose head unit...

Can someone please give me a definitive answer?
If I am replacing my 1989 BOSE head unit with a different brand w/CD:
Is it fine to simply disconnect each of the amps at the speakers and wire direct to the existing speakers?
The problem (besides no CD...) is that the rears squalk something fierce. I have been told and have read here that that is a sure sign that the amps are bad, not the speakers. True for both cases?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:21 PM

the bose speakers still need the amps to run. they run on like a 1 ohm system compared to a 4 ohm that most aftermarket speakers and head unit take. you can still use the original wiring by bypassing the amps but id definetly go ahead and replace your spekers too. the bose speakers are no way compareable to aftermart spkrs.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by dieseldaddy
Can someone please give me a definitive answer?
If I am replacing my 1989 BOSE head unit with a different brand w/CD:
Is it fine to simply disconnect each of the amps at the speakers and wire direct to the existing speakers?
The problem (besides no CD...) is that the rears squalk something fierce. I have been told and have read here that that is a sure sign that the amps are bad, not the speakers. True for both cases?

Thanks in advance!
You can't bypass the amps and run the speakers direct.
You can however still use the amps and speakers if they are good
HOWEVER that will shorten the life span of your HU.
but since we already know your rears have failed/ failing just go ahead and replace the speakers if you can afford to do so.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:05 AM

i bypassed the amps to my pioneer hu, you just cut the wires at the harness and match the colors up at the front. i know you cant do it using the bose speakers. ur hu will die
Old 12-02-2003, 12:24 PM

does anyone know where the amp wiring jumps in from? at the speakers theres the 2 thick ones for the amp and the 2 little for the head unit...i wanna rip it all out for new wiring but where does the amp wiring come from? the battery?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:43 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

changing the rear speakers to pioneer with the stock headunit wouldnt blow the headunit would it ?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:59 PM
mod or sell?

Wouldn't blow the HU but would sound off either.
the stock HU has line outs to the amps.
Now running the Pios off the amp....
Didn't try. My rears never worked
Old 12-02-2003, 06:00 PM

no but youd need to do some heavy constructing to have the speakers work properly. as i said the bose system uses 1 ohm stuff, whereas aftermarket uses 4 ohm.

the wires for the amps actually come from the hu, i hooked mine up using the nissan harness from crutchfield and my pioneer has an output for amps. i just hooked up my wiring throught the harness and only by passed the amps witht the color coded speaker wire. i noticed something though my speakers wouldnt work without the amps being plugged in.

i really need to do the work and replace all the wiring, though it sounds better than bose, imstill only using the 1 ohm wiring. something is gonna blow.

just pull it all out
Old 12-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go either all bose or no bose, none of this half way bull...

Really I dont remember hearing about it blowing your HU, I dont think it would do that. I know they make the converters and stuff, Redmax92se has some experience with this, personally I just replaced everything when the bose on my old black car went out.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by harrymay
the bose speakers still need the amps to run. they run on like a 1 ohm system compared to a 4 ohm that most aftermarket speakers and head unit take. you can still use the original wiring by bypassing the amps but id definetly go ahead and replace your spekers too. the bose speakers are no way compareable to aftermart spkrs.
The front speakers work fine on a standard amp. Can't say about the rears since mine were trashed before I changed over.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by harrymay
no but youd need to do some heavy constructing to have the speakers work properly. as i said the bose system uses 1 ohm stuff, whereas aftermarket uses 4 ohm.

the wires for the amps actually come from the hu, i hooked mine up using the nissan harness from crutchfield and my pioneer has an output for amps. i just hooked up my wiring throught the harness and only by passed the amps witht the color coded speaker wire. i noticed something though my speakers wouldnt work without the amps being plugged in.

i really need to do the work and replace all the wiring, though it sounds better than bose, imstill only using the 1 ohm wiring. something is gonna blow.

just pull it all out
1 Ohm wiring? Not. It's the same wiring pattern as any other car stereo system from the HU to the amps.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:22 PM

ok well i know that the speakers are 1 ohm. im not a stereo guy, im a mediocore car wannabe guy.