3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Frame Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:20 PM

Frame Damage?

I'm looking for a rust free 3rd gen Max with a blown engine or front end damage(have the parts to fix either)... I Was searching ebay and came across this car... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6400

The price is right and it looks to be in good condition(minus the front end)... The guy doesnt know if there is frame damage.... From the pictures of the damage do you guys think the frame is alright or do you think it is bent or damaged in any way that would make putting a new front end on and a new engine in more trouble than its worth?

Thanks for the advice,
Rob
Old 02-21-2004, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ninty-two-se
I'm looking for a rust free 3rd gen Max with a blown engine or front end damage(have the parts to fix either)... I Was searching ebay and came across this car... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6400

The price is right and it looks to be in good condition(minus the front end)... The guy doesnt know if there is frame damage.... From the pictures of the damage do you guys think the frame is alright or do you think it is bent or damaged in any way that would make putting a new front end on and a new engine in more trouble than its worth?

Thanks for the advice,
Rob
Definately some frame damage. The body panel seams where the fenders meet the doors will tell alot. Expect to have the front frame straightened.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:12 AM

i was gonns talk you out of it until i remembered you have the parts(althouigh i dont know if you can salvage anything ont he ody of the roll over one.

the damage looks to me like he hit a pole and drove the car home with the radiator busted causing the car to over heat.i dont buy the hit while parked crap( i workfor an ins comp., that damage isnt from being parked).it's probably going to need the rad support, but it doesnt look that bad in the pics. it;; probably need a rough pull, but i dont think the frame rails are too bad. if you could get it for a couple of hundred bucks, go for it, but anyting over 500 is a money pit
Old 02-22-2004, 05:49 AM
Grumpy old guy

Doesn't look as bad as this http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...728_1_full.jpg

If you got the time and money go for it.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
i was gonns talk you out of it until i remembered you have the parts(althouigh i dont know if you can salvage anything ont he ody of the roll over one.

the damage looks to me like he hit a pole and drove the car home with the radiator busted causing the car to over heat.i dont buy the hit while parked crap( i workfor an ins comp., that damage isnt from being parked).it's probably going to need the rad support, but it doesnt look that bad in the pics. it;; probably need a rough pull, but i dont think the frame rails are too bad. if you could get it for a couple of hundred bucks, go for it, but anyting over 500 is a money pit
Whats a Rough pull, where could I get one, and how much do they usually cost?... Sorry, I'm new to anything that has frame damage(and fixing it)... I just want to know what kind of money I'm looking at before I do anything...

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Grumpy old guy

If you look at my webpage you'll see how far my frame was swayed... I paid $100 for the rack time to get it corrected and the radiator support straightened enough to be usable.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nozama
If you look at my webpage you'll see how far my frame was swayed... I paid $100 for the rack time to get it corrected and the radiator support straightened enough to be usable.
any pics of the car done, i remember you posting about it.

expect to pay more than that in NY, BUT if its not bad you can tie a chain around the bumper and then around a tree and just floor it in reverse. that's very back woods style
Old 02-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Grumpy old guy

Yeah Juan, pics are on my cardomain page 4 it turned out nice.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nozama
Yeah Juan, pics are on my cardomain page 4 it turned out nice.

yeah like a moron i posted forst and looked after, tooks good, hows it running?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
if its not bad you can tie a chain around the bumper and then around a tree and just floor it in reverse. that's very back woods style
..The sad thing is that no matter how bad it was that is how my family would fix it... but instead of a tree they would anchor the car to something like a dump truck or forklift(What ever isnt going to move easily) and pull the bend out with a tractor or something...
Old 02-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Grumpy old guy

78,000 miles still runs like new.. hardly broken in yet
Old 02-23-2004, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ninty-two-se
..The sad thing is that no matter how bad it was that is how my family would fix it... but instead of a tree they would anchor the car to something like a dump truck or forklift(What ever isnt going to move easily) and pull the bend out with a tractor or something...
, well, if i didnt have any friends in the body industry thats how i would do it too. whatever gets the job done!