3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

oem fog lamp help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:28 PM
what can my max do for me

oem fog lamp help

hello all
warning - newbie's first question

so i'm new to this vehicle and also not 100% on the history of this specific unit. the fogs are busted and so i went to a local yard and picked up another pair. installed them and still nothing.

to be sure that i understand this correctly, the fogs only work with the headlamps on, correct? what about high beams, do they affect fog operation?

so with engine running and headlamps on, i push the fog switch and i can hear and feel the fog relay energize. ieven swapped in a known good relay (i.e. the a.c relay and obtained the same results). then i checked the connectors at the bumper and there was no voltage. i checked for continuity among like color-coded wires from the connectors to the relay and everything checked out fine.

where do i go from here?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
to be sure that i understand this correctly, the fogs only work with the headlamps on, correct? what about high beams, do they affect fog operation?

so with engine running and headlamps on, i push the fog switch and i can hear and feel the fog relay energize. ieven swapped in a known good relay (i.e. the a.c relay and obtained the same results). then i checked the connectors at the bumper and there was no voltage. i checked for continuity among like color-coded wires from the connectors to the relay and everything checked out fine.

where do i go from here?
first of all, the fog lights shut off with the high beams on. And you're correct on that they only turn on when you have the headlights on.... (unless you rewire it like some have done)

and I'm getting a little confused so lets make sure on the bolded part. You checked for voltage and got nothing? Or did that turn out fine, and you just wrote it up wrong.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:00 PM

Nevermind, i confused myself. I see what you're saying. First of all, are u sure you had a good ground when checking the voltage. That's can alwayz be the fun part. You said you checked the continuity and it came out fine. I'm assuming thats .01 ohm of resistance then. And not O/L. If that's the case, it's pointing to a bad ground connection when testing for voltage.

Possiblity is that the bulbs are shot in the fog lights. Open the fog light up and check it out. Look for corrosion on the connectors, or a bad bulb. Really beyond that, the only other thing would be a broken wire.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:55 AM

well as for a ground, the way i checked for voltage was by turning on the headlamps and then the fog lamp switch (listened for relay) and then i stuck each probe of a multimeter (set to "20" on the voltmeter setting) in each of the connectors. i figured ther should be voltage accross these two wires, correct?

if i do have continuity (and you are correct in saying there was resistance and not a o/l), should i be looking at the relay for grounding issues?

would anyone have a schematic of the fog lamp relay - the 1-2-3-5 blue type?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:22 AM

As for the schematic, try looking here. www.geocities.com/craigbrace/ it'll be toward the bottom of his how-to's.

As for the ground, it depends upon what the wires do. Easiest way to make sure, put your black test lead on the frame (probably on a unpainted bolt) and use the red lead to test both wires. One should give you a reading. If the reading is below 11v, and the car is running, there's either a bad wire, connection, or relay. If the voltage is good. Check the foglamp itself, and the ground.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:21 PM

ok...with much shame i must admit that i found the source of the problem

it all came to me when i was reading the posts on this thread

checked the bulbs!!

one blown and the other a broken filament....don't know why i ***-u-MEd they were good - i just bought the fogs from a yard - we all know that everything from a yard is in top working condition....and why wouldn't bulbs endure what i'm certain was the most plush journey from the yard to my garage...

i'm really not that much of an idiot...most of the time

thanks again people...sorry for the wast of time
Old 09-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
ok...with much shame i must admit that i found the source of the problem

it all came to me when i was reading the posts on this thread

checked the bulbs!!

one blown and the other a broken filament....don't know why i ***-u-MEd they were good - i just bought the fogs from a yard - we all know that everything from a yard is in top working condition....and why wouldn't bulbs endure what i'm certain was the most plush journey from the yard to my garage...

i'm really not that much of an idiot...most of the time

thanks again people...sorry for the wast of time

You know, admitting you had an oversight and apologizing makes you better than 80% of the demanding and cocky n00bs we get on this board. Welcome to the org.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:45 PM

thanks...
no i just gotta figure out how i'm gonna positon myself and a drill to get the shanks of the original bolts whose heads i snapped off while trying to remove the fogs
Old 09-12-2004, 06:31 PM

mine did that to... so i jsut said screw it im putting them on the bottom of the SE bumper. i think it looks pretty good there, but i dont have OEM anymore