3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM

wat does a shifter bushing do and how do i replace it?? and also sometimes it can start without pressing in the clutch?? is that a problem too??
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM

whoops thought you have a auto, not the shifter bushing then

i havent driven stick for a couple years but im pretty sure you can start in neutral without the clutch in
Old 07-27-2010, 10:17 PM

well, then does anyone else maybe know??
btw, my shifter bushings do need to be changed lol it does have alot of play in gear and neutral so ill get that done.. also, sometimes when i try to put the car in gear, it wont go.. I have to pull or push to neutral and then back to the gear i want a couple times and then it goes in but kinda feels like it crunches into gear, but only sometimes it does it.. Shifting is very rough like as if the shifter vibrates as if you can feel the gear spinning.. Like there is no cushion or something.. especially my reverse gear, its a 5spd so people know lol but my reverse is really hard to get into.. Sometimes i have to go through all the gears, and then to reveres and it will go in.. Whats the cause of this problem??
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Gheremy harrison
well, then does anyone else maybe know??
btw, my shifter bushings do need to be changed lol it does have alot of play in gear and neutral so ill get that done.. also, sometimes when i try to put the car in gear, it wont go.. I have to pull or push to neutral and then back to the gear i want a couple times and then it goes in but kinda feels like it crunches into gear, but only sometimes it does it.. Shifting is very rough like as if the shifter vibrates as if you can feel the gear spinning.. Like there is no cushion or something.. especially my reverse gear, its a 5spd so people know lol but my reverse is really hard to get into.. Sometimes i have to go through all the gears, and then to reveres and it will go in.. Whats the cause of this problem??
tranny's just old and worn. doesn't wanna slide into gear easily.

your starting problem could be a loose wire connection that doesn't make full contact when you're on a hill. does it matter if you're parked up or down the hill or sideways on the hill just that you're on a hill at all.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:54 AM

so tranny rebuild??
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM

so tranny rebuild??
that or if you have a VG 5spd tranny, upgrade to a VE 5spd
Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM

too late.. motor blew like an hour ago on the freeway.. no more max and i never got it fixed to truely drive it like i wanted to and even hear the actual sound of the vg motor because of a major exhaust leak.. absolute worst car i ever had
Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM

goodbye maxima forum..
Going on to a nissan 240sx now..
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

too late.. motor blew like an hour ago on the freeway.. no more max and i never got it fixed to truely drive it like i wanted to and even hear the actual sound of the vg motor because of a major exhaust leak.. absolute worst car i ever had
goodbye maxima forum..
240 won't be any "better." promise.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

goodbye maxima forum..
don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out...
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 PM

absolute worst car i ever had
not our fault/the cars fault it wasnt taken care of
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM

my transmission is broken, and i want to put all good bits in it, are there any performance orientated valve bodies available for the VG auto? and before you tell me to get a manual it's not covered by the warranty and I'm in Australia where they don't exist, plus i have an auto restricted license so i don't want one
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

buy my civic then. it'll totally redefine your concept of "good" and "bad" cars. you'd fight tooth and nail to get your maxima back after a day with that POS!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM

ok, cant deal with having no cup holders anymore, and want to put in one of those single DIN cup holders, found one on ebay i think may fit but i want your input on other options or a better site with better products. basically, sick of having no cup holders. E brake gets old. just reply with what u have done, seen done. thank you
Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM

its a 1990 maxi, found this on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...item27b39ed107 but am a bit sceptical.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by IDFKmaxima
ok, cant deal with having no cup holders anymore, and want to put in one of those single DIN cup holders, found one on ebay i think may fit but i want your input on other options or a better site with better products. basically, sick of having no cup holders. E brake gets old. just reply with what u have done, seen done. thank you
that altima cup holder may not work cuz the maxima cup holder is two of those put together height wise. cuz the top pop out is the cup holder and the bottom pop out is a coin holder.

im working on a cup holder mod. not done yet tho, ill make a thread when its done.

Last edited by nyc_ink; 07-29-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:05 PM

I dont feel like creating a whole new thread for this, but does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the fuel lines from the tank on a VG? I am looking at one for my girl, but the car was stolen a couple of weeks ago, and they cut the fuel lines... the car runs fine otherwise.. just wondering if anyone knew what needs to be done?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Dalez0r
Hello all!

I recently purchased a 94 Maxima GXE at 170k, VG30E engine of course. Bought the car because I also own a 86 300zx with that engine, and know it's highly reliable. The car according to Carfax has only had two owners, and spent most of it's life in Florida.

In any case, the engine had leaky valve cover gaskets, so I had a friend who has tools (some idiot stole mine. GRRR) pop the covers off, where we found a CRAPLOAD of oil sludge everywhere. It looks like someone took hot roofing tar and splashed everything with a good 1/8+" layer of it. The friend says he used to work at a engine rebuilding shop, and this is one of the worst he's seen. He recommends selling the car immediately so I don't end up with a dead car and no money. I assume this was caused by one of two things: lack of sufficient oil changes, or overheating. I mentioned overheating because the car also has a brand new radiator the previous owner must have installed before selling it. Everything else about the car seems great, runs good, shifts fine, etc. Only problem I've had is a rough idle when it's cold outside and the engine isn't warmed up (temp sensor not kicking in cold enrich?) and a code for a bad O2 sensor.

Soooo, what's the popular opinion here? I hate to let the car go, I only paid $1500 for it, and my girlfriend who I bought it for loves it.
Use some Sea Foam in the crankcase and change filters every 200 miles,
then change oil and filter at 1000 miles. Do this for at least 4000 miles and
you should see a much cleaner engine. NO I don't own stock in Sea Foam I just like it.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm new to this forum and need some help. To wit where is the turn signal relay/flasher on my 89 Maxima? No turn signals either side, good bulbs and fuse. tried
new flasher in 3 sockets beside fuse block under dash ( not labeled but same coil and contact as new one) No flashey-flashey> Anybody have a guess? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by rustycrusty
I'm new to this forum and need some help. To wit where is the turn signal relay/flasher on my 89 Maxima? No turn signals either side, good bulbs and fuse. tried
new flasher in 3 sockets beside fuse block under dash ( not labeled but same coil and contact as new one) No flashey-flashey> Anybody have a guess? Thanks.
Check if the emergency light switch is connected. The turn signals will not work without the switch connected. If it is connected, replacing it would be the first step.

And you didn't need to answer a question that was asked back in Dec 07 to post a question.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine

Did Nissan make a DOHC engine in 93-94 with a distributor, and black valve covers?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ambyrell1
Did Nissan make a DOHC engine in 93-94 with a distributor, and black valve covers?
For the VE30DE (92-94 SE) they do not have a distributor and they didn't have black valve covers stock.

As far as other DOHC engines from Nissan during 93-94, I don't know.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jbbons25
For the VE30DE (92-94 SE) they do not have a distributor and they didn't have black valve covers stock.

As far as other DOHC engines from Nissan during 93-94, I don't know.
Do you know how I can find out about the other engines Nissan made? The engine looks a lot like this one except for the red valve covers http://www.caraudiohelp.com/nissan_m...e_tutorial.htm[IMG]file:///C:/Users/amber/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Last edited by ambyrell1; 08-02-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Do you know how I can find out about the other engines Nissan made? The engine looks a lot like this one except for the red valve covers http://www.caraudiohelp.com/nissan_m...e_tutorial.htm[IMG]file:///C:/Users/amber/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Hey, amber.

if (aside from the valve cover color) the engine looks the same, it is. this is the vg30e, shared with dozens of other vehicle (including ford/mercury) and produced for 20 years in various forms
Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

..DOHC... v6? 4cyl? v8?

89-94 GXE, and 89-91 SE had the VG30E. And if you paint the valve covers black it looks like this...

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-02-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
..DOHC... v6? 4cyl? v8?

89-94 GXE, and 89-91 SE had the VG30E. And if you paint the valve covers black it looks like this...

That is the motor! The problem is that my sister purchased a motor for her 94 Maxima SE and was sent this motor. What all will have to be changed for this to work? Her old motor was the variable valve timing engine.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM

So I need to change the rear struts on my newly accuired 1993 maxima, I have never done this task and my chiltins book only covers up to 1992, is the 1993 different. I believe I have the standard model, (no ABS, VG, auto, no spoiler, rear drum brakes, side mirrors same color as body, no moon roof) is this a hard task? I have just finished a tranny swap on this car but I have done that before, I have several maxx's just never a 1993 and never done the rear struts. Any advise?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by dadswieser
So I need to change the rear struts on my newly accuired 1993 maxima, I have never done this task and my chiltins book only covers up to 1992, is the 1993 different. I believe I have the standard model, (no ABS, VG, auto, no spoiler, rear drum brakes, side mirrors same color as body, no moon roof) is this a hard task? I have just finished a tranny swap on this car but I have done that before, I have several maxx's just never a 1993 and never done the rear struts. Any advise?
if you can swap a trans, you can change the struts.
they are the same as the 92's struts.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 AM

how would you do it?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
if you can swap a trans, you can change the struts.
they are the same as the 92's struts.

OK but the book would have you pull the engine and tranny together to get the tranny out and I would never do it that way. The book tells me to remove the entire suspension and take the housing to a vise to remove the strut rod. Is this the best method? Can you just compress the spring and remove the strut without removing the whole housing? Just saying.... I never have done this task. How would you do it?

thanks
Darryl
Old 08-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1994 Nissan Maxima (145K miles) Spark Plugs

I'm perplexed, the spark plugs in the car are NGK PFR5C-11 (2271), yet web sites are telling me that is not the right plug...they say NGK BKR6ES-11 (5553) or BKR6EGP (7092).
Were the wrong plugs in the car?
What is the 'real' difference?
[If you have time, please read on...any help or ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.]

...not my car, use it when I visit...sits unused most of the time.

-oil light appeared...
My solution change the oil Quaker State 5W-30 (according to manual) and Slick 50 (had purchased a bottle long ago) and changed air filter.

-power steering leak, prob. needs hose replace???...guess cost $50 to $150.
My solution, purchase power steering fluid ($1-$2) and keep replacing...next try Lucas (gel) PSF. Sometimes reservoir is empty,sometimes it is full. Place cardboard underneath car.

-check engine light illuminated all of a sudden, rough idle and sluggish acceleration.
My solution, wait to see if problem would go away. It did!
I did fill up the tank to the top (car is not driven often and thought maybe water/bad gas), also put in can of sea foam ($7.50) in gas tank.

-check engine light reappeared after a month with rough idle, sluggish acceleration which turned into PATHETIC acceleration.
My solution, put the automatic transmission in lowest gear from stop, then shift to 2nd lowest, then Drive. It could be anything someone told me. I thought I would try changing the spark plugs, what do you think ?

I removed one plug and it looked normal (http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/) trace amounts of debris, but otherwise very clean. I do not know when the last plug replacement was, but I thought it might be worth it to gamble $20 or so to see if that fixed the problem.

Also, checked what I think is transmission fluid (red) and it was a COLD level on stick.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by steve777
1994 Nissan Maxima (145K miles) Spark Plugs

I'm perplexed, the spark plugs in the car are NGK PFR5C-11 (2271), yet web sites are telling me that is not the right plug...they say NGK BKR6ES-11 (5553) or BKR6EGP (7092).
Were the wrong plugs in the car?
What is the 'real' difference?
Which engine is in the Maxima? If it has the SOHC engine (picture reference here) then it uses the copper plugs. Else if it hs the DOHC engine (picture reference here), then it uses the platinum plugs.

Last edited by jbbons25; 08-03-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Which engine is in the Maxima? If it has the SOHC engine (picture reference here) then it uses the copper plugs. Else if it hs the DOHC engine (picture reference here), then it uses the platinum plugs.
You can use coppers in the VE engine...platinum spark plugs are not necessary..
Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

DOHC engine (picture reference here), then it uses the platinum plugs.
I obviously was selecting the wrong option, it is DOHC, pictures helped thanks.

And Greeny, thanks for the other thread re: ECU w/pics and vid.
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-then-off.html

A18-B50 EC8 94 Maxima N A F J30-VE30DE 23710-7E505
5 Red, 1 Red = 51 Fuel injector circuit open (California models only)
http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/a...urrent=ECU.mp4

That makes sense, problem started, stopped on its own and then started again.
Well at least I know what is wrong and most most likely changing the spark plugs was not the thing to do (6 x $7.50).
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=136112
$1800, YIKES!

Thank you Maxima Forum for the knowledge base.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM

my transmission is broken, and i want to put all good bits in it, are there any performance orientated valve bodies available for the VG auto? and before you tell me to get a manual box it's not covered by the warranty and I'm in Australia where they don't exist, plus i have an auto restricted license so I'm not allowed to drive one
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 AM

is there a noob section for the 6th gen? I was wondering about how much would a complete paint job on my 05 SE cost me from silver to black. I dont want a cheap one i want it to last but i dont want to pay top dollar either i live in new england
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by livindominicano
is there a noob section for the 6th gen? I was wondering about how much would a complete paint job on my 05 SE cost me from silver to black. I dont want a cheap one i want it to last but i dont want to pay top dollar either i live in new england
doesn't appear to be one.
but, since this is a general maxima question (again, no newbie thread)...
expect to pay at least $1000 for one. depending on the car's current paint, scratches, dents/dings,etc. will depend on how much prep work is needed for it to turn out right.
you may check the regional forum, see if anyone can suggest a paint shop.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

High, I have read these forums for months in search of my problem with limited luck. I have a 92 VG and it has an intermittent problem. It will cold start and run fine, but occasionally on a hot restart it misses very bad and throws white smoke. It will barely move unless you floor it and then it jumps. This seems to happen most often with 1/4 tank or less. Here is what I have done so far. O2, water sensor, 3 new Bosch fuel injectors and 3 rebuilt- big mistake as many have said here, fuel pump and hose. I have also done timing belt, water pump, CV joints etc but those things are unrelated.
I need help and I am hoping you Masters can solve my intermittent rich situation. Oh yea, I pulled the plugs and they were all about the same color, the old injectors were a bit darker but not much. Also I have all new plugs and wires and cap.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM

That is the motor! The problem is that my sister purchased a motor for her 94 Maxima SE and was sent this motor. What all will have to be changed for this to work? Her old motor was the variable valve timing engine.
you would have to change a bunch of wiring as well, a few people have done VG to VE conversions but i dont think anyone has gone a VE to VG conversion. its alot of work
Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
doesn't appear to be one.
but, since this is a general maxima question (again, no newbie thread)...
expect to pay at least $1000 for one. depending on the car's current paint, scratches, dents/dings,etc. will depend on how much prep work is needed for it to turn out right.
you may check the regional forum, see if anyone can suggest a paint shop.

Thank you thats what i was wondering because maaco gave me a quote for $1500 with a 2 year warranty because there is a spot near the rear fender thats needs to be painted over becuase of the color change
Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by livindominicano
Thank you thats what i was wondering because maaco gave me a quote for $1500 with a 2 year warranty because there is a spot near the rear fender thats needs to be painted over becuase of the color change
don't go maaco. do not go maaco.
I can never say it enough.
I have seen one job that was decent, but it was a show car they did on some tv show.
every real car I have seen had poor prep work, peeling clear coat, flaking paint, runs, anything you can think of for a bad paint job. There are usually more than one of these on a maaco paint job.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)