3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by LLkoolJJ
Hey dennismik thanks for the awesome response--havent been able to reply til now

So i have auto climate control--i did the self diagnostics test and everything seemed to work fine. Although there was a code for 25 (sunload sensor) mind you i was doing the diagnostics while its dark. Ill dig a little deeper into the link you sent--thanks a lot for that btw!
It still blasts the defrost when the key turns. Ill keep looking but wanted to thank u for the insight.
Can you change the air to blow out of other outlets or is it stuck in defrost mode?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im new on here I have a 1994 Nissan maxima se 5-speed (ve30de) v6 im having all kind of electrical problems. first speedo stopped working, only the gas gauge was working. couple of days later my sunroof went out then a week later I was driving and the engine turned off on me. I got the car back home it set for a week we thought it was the alternator but I had full power my system still played lights still work fuel pump still worked, we took off the alternator replaced it with a new one battery as well and I haven't got power inside the car ever since only thing that works is the headlights
Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

whats up everbody im new here
Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by maxima501
im new on here I have a 1994 Nissan maxima se 5-speed (ve30de) v6 im having all kind of electrical problems. first speedo stopped working, only the gas gauge was working. couple of days later my sunroof went out then a week later I was driving and the engine turned off on me. I got the car back home it set for a week we thought it was the alternator but I had full power my system still played lights still work fuel pump still worked, we took off the alternator replaced it with a new one battery as well and I haven't got power inside the car ever since only thing that works is the headlights
For starters have you gone through and checked all of your fuses?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Why do we still make new people post only in this thread even though we have an otherwise COMPLETELY dead forum
Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ac max 92
for starters have you gone through and checked all of your fuses?
yea replaced all main fuses and relays. Im guessing i need to start looking at the wiring harness. Could i pull an harness off any 2nd 3rd gen maxima, or would it have to be the same spc maxima?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

for starters have you gone through and checked all of your fuses?

thanks for the reply
Old 12-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

got it running thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlights wont turn off.

Hi I have searched the forum and cant find the answer. My headlights wont turn off. They go from high to low beam but will not turn off until I either dis connect the battery or remove the fuses. I rang Nissan and one guy said it is the relay but another said they have no relay. Can somebody please give me ideas on what to do next to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im new to the maxima life just picked up a 1990. I wanna lower it and searched for hours and cant find acomoy that makes a coil over kit. Does anyone know where i can find a kit or other nissan cars suspension i could use?
Old 07-14-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon Maddocks
Hi I have searched the forum and cant find the answer. My headlights wont turn off. They go from high to low beam but will not turn off until I either dis connect the battery or remove the fuses. I rang Nissan and one guy said it is the relay but another said they have no relay. Can somebody please give me ideas on what to do next to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
Yes there is a headlight relay. Check under the hood.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by xxjmrxx
Im new to the maxima life just picked up a 1990. I wanna lower it and searched for hours and cant find acomoy that makes a coil over kit. Does anyone know where i can find a kit or other nissan cars suspension i could use?
There are no coilovers for 3rd gens. Eibach springs were the best lowering springs for 3rd gens but they discontinued them in 08. You may be able to find a set though if you can find a supplier/shop that has a set collecting dust but its like hunting a needle in a haystack. B&G i believe still make 3rd gen lowering springs which are a 2" drop if im not mistaken and KYB still have struts for the 3rd gens. Lowering options are pretty limited on these cars now. I don't even think you can get tokiko blues for our cars now.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There are no coilovers for 3rd gens. Eibach springs were the best lowering springs for 3rd gens but they discontinued them in 08. You may be able to find a set though if you can find a supplier/shop that has a set collecting dust but its like hunting a needle in a haystack. B&G i believe still make 3rd gen lowering springs which are a 2" drop if im not mistaken and KYB still have struts for the 3rd gens. Lowering options are pretty limited on these cars now. I don't even think you can get tokiko blues for our cars now.
Damn i looked in to the b&g ones and they dnt get as low as i want. is there anyway i can use suspension from another nissan wit min fab required?
Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HI folks,

My Dad just brought his late Mom's pristine 91 GXE (67kmi) back up to Virginia from Florida. Unfortunately, on the long drive up, had a near miss when he kissed the guardrail when he scarily closed his eyes while driving(!!!) Aside from the fact that i could have lost my dad, we're in the market for a couple drivers side door panels as the previously perfect ones are now warped and bent. Can folks point me towards good leads to track down body parts for the 3rd gen? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im new here and i own a 1989 nissan maxima . runs alright other then i have a intake manifold leak and makes a funny noise when i hit the gas but its still driveable just havent had the time to sit down and replace the gaskets. But anyway I'm here because my AC is having issues .. It works fine on the freeway but when im in the city driving around stopping n going it blows hot air like the heater is on.. And also idles really rough and sometimes shuts down on me ... I dont know whats wrong with it can anyone help me ? The car runs perfect until i put the AC on then it runs like crap. Please and thank you if anyone can help me or find some manuels online that could help me
Old 08-07-2016, 07:58 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by balmer
HI folks,

My Dad just brought his late Mom's pristine 91 GXE (67kmi) back up to Virginia from Florida. Unfortunately, on the long drive up, had a near miss when he kissed the guardrail when he scarily closed his eyes while driving(!!!) Aside from the fact that i could have lost my dad, we're in the market for a couple drivers side door panels as the previously perfect ones are now warped and bent. Can folks point me towards good leads to track down body parts for the 3rd gen? Thanks.

That's actually an SE model, not a GXE.

As far as body parts you can still likely find them in junkyards although they are disappearing QUICK even in the yards. Beyond that you can use car-part.com which always has a good supply but if none are local you've got to work with the yards to arrange shipping.

You have any other pics of the car?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ABS system

Anyone know where I can get ABS unit for under the hood mine is leaking call me it's Smiley 416-524-0735 or text thanks Famz.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

crank/ no start/ no codes 92 max se AT

Hi everyone,
I have a problem diagnosing a 92 max se w/AT. Symptoms are car died suddenly while driving, then wont start. No codes other than 5 slow red lights followed by 5 fast blinking reds. No green lights. Am I not using diagnostic ecu correctly? I then changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and fuel pump, air filter, cleaned maf and throttle body. Car has new starter motor less than 1yr old and alternator checks out fine. All fuses check out fine. Relay for pump clicks when ign on but new pump doesn't spin up. All wires on pump test good, even checked new pump on 12vlt bat and it is good, so signal is lost or cut off by something. Is ecu telling pump not to function because of bad sensor somewhere? I'm thinking throttle position sensor pr cam angle sensor bad, yet no codes or dash light to check engine, hmmm. Any ideas where to continue cheaply like replace o2 sensor or knock sensor or iacv sensor or coolant temp sensor?
Old 01-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bought a 1990 Maxima, couple issues

Hi! So I bought a 1990 Maxima GXE manual with 170,000 miles on it for around $700. Has a couple issues.

First, I believe it has a slight misfire. I need to pull the plugs and clean the battery terminals to see if that helps. Also probably doesn't help it's 6 degrees outside.

Second, I have a vacuum hose missing from somewhere. Posted is the picture of a tube.

Third, the rear brake light and in trunk light don't work. Not sure if they're related or run in the same area. I replaced the bulbs and that didn't fix it.

Anyone have any ideas or help?
Attached Thumbnails *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)-img_20170107_085951_1.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tps reset

have a 1992 maxima se with 115k, recently I pulled a code from the self check on the ecu. After doing so the tps seems to be lagging. When I hooked a obd1 with a modis it told me that I need to relearn the tps through the ecu self check screw, I can't seem to find the proper procedure
Old 09-27-2017, 04:45 PM

VTC availability...

I'm looking seriously at buying a '92 Maxima SE 5spd that's in fairly great shape. The one thing keeping me from purchasing is the VTC issue. It doesn't tick currently, but if it does, I don't think I'll be able to fix it. I've looked and you can buy new VTC solenoids for a 300zx of the same year. Are they compatible/different? I've searched all over and can't find an answer. If not can someone point me in the right direction, or provide part numbers/specific part names. I've replaced the VTCs on my Infiniti I35 before...

Think I found the answer in the vtc write-up lol. Would still like to know if the 300zx solenoid will work though.

Last edited by brwnNbrusd46; 09-27-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

problem no power

star fine after two minutes no power mecanic change sparkplug wires rotor distributor cup mass air flow sensor gas pump i replace fuel inyectors 3months ago check vacum lines but steel the same no power any idea what it could be
Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Everybody. Another Maxima noob checking in. I bought a 1994 SEL (VG30E) - righthand drive and assembled in New Zealand - so there might be differences between NZ and US models.
Previous owner/s could not be bothered with a little trivial thing like coolant, so this had to be my first job. Lost a bit of metal off the outlet pipe and one of the heater pipes (thinking inlet?).
She has now been water flushed and Nulon flushed - ready for new coolant. Now to my question...
During the flush I noticed water spraying from a little rubber nipple on the firewall. It is on the left hand side of car (right if looking into engine bay from front), just behind the fuel filter. Even though the engine and water were hot, this water was cold. I have been using this manual http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nis...e-manuals.html and also have a Chilton's manual (for the VG30E but only up to 1992). And the internet, of course...
As the system has been flushed, incl heater core, this water is clean. So far I have not found any mention anywhere about this...uhh part?
Does anyone know what the function is of that little nipple and/or where the water is coming from? I am a little reluctant to put in water and anti-freeze before figuring it out. Everything else seems ok...
Thank you!!

Last edited by Paladin22; 01-05-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 99sidude
Hey everyone I've been lurking on this site for many years. I own a 96 se 5mt. My brother has a 93 se 4at. I'm having a missfire problem with his 93.

Symptoms:

-Power loss and missfire apparent when in drive. As the car warms up, the missfire gets worse. NO CEL's
-Problem has gotten worse and worse as the months went by. A gradual change in performance. It seems like the car is running lean.
-Coil packs are good. All have perfect resistance and I checked for spark.
-Coolant temp sensor, and tps were checked, all good.
-The MAF isn't outputting any voltage. That makes me think it's bad. The weird thing is that there's no CEL and the car isn't in limp mode (i can rev it as high as I want).
-I suspect the injectors, but the front 3 I know are good (hard to test rears). I inspected all of the spark plugs and cannot see any differene in condition across the board.

Ay ideas?
<b> 93 SE <b/>
182k Auto, One old lady owner who had a books worth of maintenance history.
Similar issue, starts right up, seems to have no low end power, as if its choking for air, but the higher RPM range seems to be perfect, and VTC seems to sound solid and great. Odd thing is, the infamous ticking sound does happen, or at least what i think to be the infamous ticking noise....but it idles a bit low and ruff. It just seems awfully similar to the MAF issue i had with my 90 R32 GTS-t. Havent done a whole lot of physical digging to see what's what yet, outside a new alternator on day one, removed the rusted spoiler from the rear and cant seem to find squat for it.
Attached Thumbnails *NOOBIES* The &quot;I am new here,but have a question&quot; thread..(post your questions here)-img_0171.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jh30SE93
<b> 93 SE <b/>
182k Auto, One old lady owner who had a books worth of maintenance history.
Similar issue, starts right up, seems to have no low end power, as if its choking for air, but the higher RPM range seems to be perfect, and VTC seems to sound solid and great. Odd thing is, the infamous ticking sound does happen, or at least what i think to be the infamous ticking noise....but it idles a bit low and ruff. It just seems awfully similar to the MAF issue i had with my 90 R32 GTS-t. Havent done a whole lot of physical digging to see what's what yet, outside a new alternator on day one, removed the rusted spoiler from the rear and cant seem to find squat for it.

This link is the engine, which I'm afraid does have the dreaded clicking and clanking, as well as the bouncy idle....

Anyone want to buy a maxima?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 PM

search under the 3rd gen forum, there should be a thread about how to ground the VTC to stop the clacking
Old 09-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a '94 J30 to do some troubleshooting, is there one available on here or somewhere online?
Thx
Chris

edit: found one .. link if anyone want: https://cardiagn.com/1994-nissan-max...ce-manual-pdf/

Last edited by skattrd; 09-26-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, Long time owner of my 94 maxima. Only 92k on it. But after all these years I ran into a problem with my sunroof. A critter got into my headliner and chewed part of the sunroof harness. My question is, where is the fuse or relay that operates the sunroof located at? I would like to just unplug it for the time being until i have the time to rip apart the headliner and rewire the harness so no wires are exposed. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-12-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jh30SE93
https://youtu.be/QFS6dVHqOUo

This link is the engine, which I'm afraid does have the dreaded clicking and clanking, as well as the bouncy idle....

Anyone want to buy a maxima?
Still for sale??????
Old 10-20-2020, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thread still alive?

I've seen a few have changed out Timing Chains in the 3.0, is this typically a preventive maintenance item?

I've heard of the belt @ 100k, usually there isnt much left of the vehicle @ 100K in my world.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:04 AM

I'm back,
Old 09-14-2021, 11:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

j30 maxima Service

hi im new to the j30.

i have 90' 5 speed manual vg30e.
where is the tranny drain plug located?
there is a weird flathead bolt underneath the tranny. cant imagine that to be the drain?
thanks!
Old 01-24-2024, 03:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys!

iam a new owner of a 91 j30 Maxima from germany and have a little question. 16'' Wheels with 7,5j and offset 30 is no problem to fit in.
I want to try 8j with offset 25. Does it fit? Car has 30/30 H&R springs
We have strict regulations in germany. for example, the tire surface must not be visible. What size 16inch rims do you have?

Iam also looking for the US frontgrill and the orange corner lights