3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:05 AM
mod or sell?

wayne, it's no more complex than any other motor swap of this era. but it's not worth it in the end. you are $$$ ahead buying an already done VE than doing the swap.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
wayne, it's no more complex than any other motor swap of this era. but it's not worth it in the end. you are $$$ ahead buying an already done VE than doing the swap.
What era? the 3rd gens,or general mid 90' cars?

How is swapping a sohc for dohc no more complex then,lets say a swapping out a ve30de with an identical ve30de?

please let us all know how this scenario is no more complex??

Last edited by Greeny; 12-20-2007 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 AM
mod or sell?

by motor swap I am referring to not replacing the motor but swapping it out for a different motor. it is no more complex than swapping a KA for an SR in a 240, B series for a D series in a honda.
it's actually easier to some extent than a honda swap since these cars at least came equipped with the motor so the factory has every part
Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

by motor swap I am referring to not replacing the motor but swapping it out for a different motor. it is no more complex than swapping a KA for an SR in a 240, B series for a D series in a honda.
it's actually easier to some extent than a honda swap since these cars at least came equipped with the motor so the factory has every part
Ok,i see what you are saying,but we do not want to lead any new members to believe that this type of swap is an easy/plug-n-play/be driving the car that day type of swap,you and I both know what has to take place(not typing all that ish) for a sohc to dohc to work correctly.

Last edited by Greeny; 12-20-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Ron

Bummer

Well I had a local mech. "diagnose" my problem, and right away they said it was the tranny. A tranny causing a rough idle in park?? This idle problem is, I'm sure related to the weird shifting of the tranny, which it shifted like after the car would stall out, and then restart on its own. Turning off the key and restarting it would get the tranny to shift right until it died again. I'm thinking vacuum leak. Anyone know what vacuum lines would affect the idle, and tranny shifting?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Ok,i see what you are saying,but we do not want to lead any new members to believe that this type of swap is an easy/plug-n-play/be driving the car that day type of swap,you and I both know what has to take place(not typing all that ish) for a sohc to dohc to work correctly.
maybe we should make a how to and just stickie it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

maybe we should make a how to and just stickie it.
ya think?
Old 12-21-2007, 06:32 AM

This is why I purchased a complete car...but this swap is not as difficult as you guys are making it out to be....(yes, you have to swap out the wiring harness and ECU) but that is the most major part of the swap. I have already checked and the VE will even bolt up to the VG 5sp tranny. (notice, this is a manual to manual swap) You just have to use the VE flywheel. (which is what I will be doing since I can't get the LSD tranny to shift into reverse) I am just trying to get my car back on the road and will repair/rebuild the LSD once this happens.

If you can swap a I6 Chevy to a V8, then this is a walk in the park. I will definitely keep everyone posted once I get started on this VG to VE swap.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:12 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
ya think?
working on it, but lost my drive after step 23

Code:
step 1.  Drive VG30E equipped car to JY
step 2. Buy VE30DE equipped car at dealer
:p

seriously it's more along the lines of:
1.Buy VE30DE donor car
2.If donor still has functional A/C drive car to certified A/C repair center to have system evacuated
3.Put VE donor car in long term covered parking space
4.Read and follow directions # 1,2, 4, in 1994 FSM pages EM-78 and EM-79
5.Leave all harnesses and hoses connected to the motor side of them, disconnect them from the body side
6.Leave all accessories attached to motor, but disconnected from body (I.E. Disconnect A/C lines from compressor, disconnect power steering hose at reservoir not at pump)
7.Remove ECU from car
8.Feed ECU Harness back through firewall out into engine compartment
9.pull motor and transmission from car complete with harness still attached
10.Remove spindle assemblies (undo ball joint castle nut and 2 bolts on strut.
11.Unbolt all mounts from car (or buy new ones)
12.take out the clutch pedal, brake pedal, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, hose, and ALL brackets and hardware that are attached to them
13.take a piece of stiff cardboard and mark on it the location of the hole that the clutch slave cylinder was mounted in relative to the rest of the firewall accessories
14.Replace water pump 
15.replace spark plugs
do not get rid of donor car yet it's time to start on the recipient 
16.since you've already pulled the motor from the donor car you should be able to follow the same logic to pull it from your current car since the 94 FSM doesn't show a how to for the VG motor
18.Remove ECU from car
19.Feed ECU Harness  through firewall into car interior
20.pull motor and transmission from car complete with harness still attached
21.Remove spindle assemblies (undo ball joint castle nut and 2 bolts on strut.
22.Unbolt all mounts from car
23.while you have the motor out take your cardboard template that you made on the donor car and make the hole in the firewall for the clutch slave cylinder
Old 12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mike90SE
If you can swap a I6 Chevy to a V8, then this is a walk in the park. I will definitely keep everyone posted once I get started on this VG to VE swap.
It's gonna be a bit more complicated than that, I believe
Old 12-21-2007, 12:48 PM

For what it is worth, the Chevy I6 to V8 is a pretty straight forward easy swap. The transmissions are the same. The wiring harness from the I6 will work with a little re-routing. You need to get the engine mounts for the V8, and might have to swap the throttle cable, and possibly extend wiring for the temperature sensor, but that is pretty much it.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:55 PM

need help will 350z nismo 18" rims fit on my 93 se???
Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tquick
For what it is worth, the Chevy I6 to V8 is a pretty straight forward easy swap. The transmissions are the same. The wiring harness from the I6 will work with a little re-routing. You need to get the engine mounts for the V8, and might have to swap the throttle cable, and possibly extend wiring for the temperature sensor, but that is pretty much it.
Are you not going to use an exhaust system? And most 6 cylinders only have a one core radiator whereas a V8 usually has at least a 2 core radiator. and then there is the fan shround to insure proper cooling.

I am not trying to argue, but nothing is as easy as it seems, but I truly do not think that the VG to VE swap is going to be as bad as everyone lets on. Especially considering it is 5spd to 5spd. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know, but I will definitely keep eveyone posted as this progresses.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by coolsun
need help will 350z nismo 18" rims fit on my 93 se???
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=350z+wheel
this be what your lookin for
read the first page, and ye'll find out
Old 12-22-2007, 01:17 PM
94 Nissan Auto

Power window problems

I have a '94 Maxima that has the front power windows stuck down. The battery is being drained by something and a new Power Window Master switch did not cure the window problem. Could the ignition switch have anything to do with the problem?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by stairman45
I have a '94 Maxima that has the front power windows stuck down. The battery is being drained by something and a new Power Window Master switch did not cure the window problem. Could the ignition switch have anything to do with the problem?
Thanks,
Mike
when the button is pushed, do you hear any sounds from the door?
if you can get the window up. will it roll down, or just fall?
was the switch new or "new"?

how old is your battery?
my brother had a battery that was a year old, and the symptoms sounded like a drain. took the battery in to be tested, it was bad. a new battery fixed the problem.
take your battery and have it tested first. sometimes it can be that simple

also, are you trying to think the two problems are related? they may not be...

Last edited by BenStoked; 12-23-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Mike90SE
Are you not going to use an exhaust system? And most 6 cylinders only have a one core radiator whereas a V8 usually has at least a 2 core radiator. and then there is the fan shround to insure proper cooling.

meh, the radiator can stay the same and don't worry about the shroud. (been there done that)
Old 12-22-2007, 04:34 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by stairman45
Thanks,
Mike
you need a window regulator probably and the power issue is probably unrelated but that you need to diagnose
Old 12-23-2007, 06:58 AM
94 Nissan Auto

Benstoked,
I had the battery charged and tested, It is ok. The switch is pulled from another car, but was supposed to be tested and certified to be ok. Door locks work, keypad works. The previous master switch had a burned area on the control board. The problem started with the front passenger window going up and down randomly on its own, then progressed to going up and down continuously. The power window lock would stop it. Then all the windows quit working. To test the window motors, I put the windows down using the keypad.They went down with no problem. To test the fuse, I switched the ignition and the power window fuses under the hood. The car started with no problem, windows did nothing. Car sat for a week and a half while waiting for the switch to arrive, battery went dead. Now windows are stuck down, battery will drain if left connected, car will not start. There is a keypad lockout device on the car that will not take its code input. Usually the only time that happens is when the ignition switch is on. The car will not start unless the code is entered.
Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by benstoked
when the button is pushed, do you hear any sounds from the door?
if you can get the window up. will it roll down, or just fall?
was the switch new or "new"?

how old is your battery?
my brother had a battery that was a year old, and the symptoms sounded like a drain. took the battery in to be tested, it was bad. a new battery fied the problem.
take your battery and have it tested first. sometimes it can be that simple

also, are you trying to think the two problems are related? they may not be...
Old 12-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Noob here. Well, I don't own a Maxima but I do have '69 510 with a Z31 Vg30e in it. It runs fine but in my quest for more power I'm looking for an 89-92ish VG30e engine including the intake manifold setup and alternator to start building without having my car torn apart. I don't need any of the other accessories. I will gladly yank one from the local pick and pull but figured someone here might have a rebuildable core laying around after a swap. Northern Cal preferred as they aren't really worth shipping. I'd love to post this in the WTB section but as you all know I'm banished here.
I dont want the pre 89 engine as the heads do not flow as well. e-mail or reply. mnr123@comcast.net

Thanks

-Mark
Old 12-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by benz-tech
Noob here. Well, I don't own a Maxima but I do have '69 510 with a Z31 Vg30e in it. It runs fine but in my quest for more power I'm looking for an 89-92ish VG30e engine including the intake manifold setup and alternator to start building without having my car torn apart. I don't need any of the other accessories. I will gladly yank one from the local pick and pull but figured someone here might have a rebuildable core laying around after a swap. Northern Cal preferred as they aren't really worth shipping. I'd love to post this in the WTB section but as you all know I'm banished here.
I dont want the pre 89 engine as the heads do not flow as well. e-mail or reply. mnr123@comcast.net

Thanks

-Mark
you might wanna check the classifieds on this forum, see if anyone has one there. GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'92 Maxima won't start

Hi everyone I have a '92 Maxima GXE. I Locked the car using the keypad on the door and I re-opened it with a spare key without disarming the security system. I put my spare key in the ignition to start it and for some weird reason it seems like the battery was completely drained so no start. Then the key wouldn't even come out of the ignition... I jump started it thinking it was only the battery that was not charged and then I tried putting my defroster on and the fan just went crazy so I had to turn the car off. Now nothing works and the key is still in the ignition. I didn't want to try jump starting again so... Is the problem the anti-theft system or can I just try jump starting it again and hopefully get my car running? What are your suggestions? PM me and thanks for reading and I hope to hear from someone soon. Just my luck that it did this on Christmas too Hope your Christmas' were awesome!

-Jaya
Old 12-26-2007, 08:07 AM
mod or sell?

sounds like you blew a fusible link.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 PM

I have a few questions, One. Does anybody know the gains from an Intake (Lower and Upper) port, Phelonic, and Throttle Body Spacers, and a Throttle Body port? Two. Does anybody know what would cause a manual transmission to feel like its in "park"?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 94se5spd
I have a few questions, One. Does anybody know the gains from an Intake (Lower and Upper) port, Phelonic, and Throttle Body Spacers, and a Throttle Body port? Two. Does anybody know what would cause a manual transmission to feel like its in "park"?
BTW, feel free to PM about the Tranny. Problems
Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Two. Does anybody know what would cause a manual transmission to feel like its in "park"?
what do you mean "park?" do you mean you let off the clutch, in gear, and it doesn't go anywhere, or what? if that is kinda meeting the description, sounds like a clutch problem...

the other stuff... somebody else who knows more can answer that
Old 12-27-2007, 10:53 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I have a few questions, One. Does anybody know the gains from an Intake (Lower and Upper) port, Phelonic, and Throttle Body Spacers, and a Throttle Body port?
http://www.nwpengineering.com/images...s-Dyno-NWP.gif

There is the dyno sheet comparison for the VE30DE with Phenolic Intake Spacers.

Include properly done intake port work to that and you can assume to see a bigger increase in top end power.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 PM

Car Jerking

My Car has a slight jerk in it when I i push the gas or let off of the gas. It isn't very sharp, but noticable nonetheless. When you give is gas, it is very tiny jerk, then all is well. Same happens when I give it gas, it is a slight jerk, like the engine goes for a split second, then gives power to the car. RPMs don't raise like a trans slip. I've been in another car that did it, but the car was never maintained, so it isn't a good comparison. Any ideas what could cause it, motor mounts maybe? They could be bad. And last how could I test if my mounts are bad? Cost to replace them?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by augiedog964
My Car has a slight jerk in it when I i push the gas or let off of the gas. It isn't very sharp, but noticable nonetheless. When you give is gas, it is very tiny jerk, then all is well. Same happens when I give it gas, it is a slight jerk, like the engine goes for a split second, then gives power to the car. RPMs don't raise like a trans slip. I've been in another car that did it, but the car was never maintained, so it isn't a good comparison. Any ideas what could cause it, motor mounts maybe? They could be bad. And last how could I test if my mounts are bad? Cost to replace them?
control arm bushings.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ontrol+bushing

http://www.internetautosupply.com/ca...5343c115e8e5f4

he seems to have the best prices, and take it from experience, replacing just the bushing is a bish, so get the control arm assy

also before replacing anything, go to a shop to get your alignment checked. most places will do it for free, just make sure it's a reputable shop. they can tell you for sure if they're bad.

Last edited by BenStoked; 12-27-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
mod or sell?

sounds like mounts to me.
to test them, pop the hood and watch if the engine moves (or jumps) when you put it in drive or reverse. if it does then it's mounts. if not then check the control arm bushings, especially the right side front one. the motor tends to leak fluids on it which destroys the rubber completely.

you can use the links ben posted on the control arms. the second is supposed to be a good place to deal with
Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

you can use the links ben posted on the control arms. the second is supposed to be a good place to deal with
Old 12-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Not new to cars!

I've accomplished the repair, after a long wait for the replacement part to arrive. Very easy to do, once I found where the relay was located. After the glove box is removed it's a straight shot to the relay. I also found out that my blower fan was loose and hanging by the remaining screw!
I was amazed by how much junk was in the space by the heater core!

(Heater switch relay for the lower fan speeds.)
Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by SparrowHawk
I've accomplished the repair, after a long wait for the replacement part to arrive. Very easy to do, once I found where the relay was located. After the glove box is removed it's a straight shot to the relay. I also found out that my blower fan was loose and hanging by the remaining screw!
I was amazed by how much junk was in the space by the heater core!

(Heater switch relay for the lower fan speeds.)
glad to hear!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM

I was replacing brake pads, easy job, but I noticed on the front, the mounting bolts for the caliper, things that slide. only one of them slid, I thought it froze, I pulled it out and found it to have a big rubber piece on the end. Both sides the top one doesnt move? I've never seen that before. And When I did the rears, I couldn't compress the piston, it wouldnt budge? Is there a special technique?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I was replacing brake pads, easy job, but I noticed on the front, the mounting bolts for the caliper, things that slide. only one of them slid, I thought it froze, I pulled it out and found it to have a big rubber piece on the end. Both sides the top one doesnt move? I've never seen that before. And When I did the rears, I couldn't compress the piston, it wouldnt budge? Is there a special technique?
I don't know what the eff you're talkin about for the front calipers(my ignorance? my dad did the front brakes b4 i got the car off him)
the backs need to be screwed in. I know youre askin "WTFin'F?" but its true.
take a pair of needle nosed pliers and screw them ****'s back in. thats all it takes. they are designed to be serviced thataway.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 PM

More fun, when I was replacing the brake pads, I also noticed that my strut boot was in shreds, how hard is this to replace?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:16 PM

hi...im sry to post here...i had no other choice as i had no prevlidges to put up a new pst..i really need some help and your valuable suggestion for my maxima 94 gxe..it was running fine until last week and all of a sudden it stopped..i showed to mechanic and after two days it started..and now again it doesnt starts...no one is ready to fix it..i dnt know wat the pbm is..the battery is brand new...cld anyone plz suggest me wat to do....i was thinking of gng to the showroom..but scared that they might charge me more...plz help me..thx
Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Fox Body FTW

Originally Posted by firasatahmed
hi...im sry to post here...i had no other choice as i had no prevlidges to put up a new pst..i really need some help and your valuable suggestion for my maxima 94 gxe..it was running fine until last week and all of a sudden it stopped..i showed to mechanic and after two days it started..and now again it doesnt starts...no one is ready to fix it..i dnt know wat the pbm is..the battery is brand new...cld anyone plz suggest me wat to do....i was thinking of gng to the showroom..but scared that they might charge me more...plz help me..thx
honestly they may say your question is not specific enough and clearer responses will drastically help you. Aside from that, Welcome to the forum!

what did the mechanics change/do if anything? there's a bunch of other questions the "know it alls" (not being snippy) may ask but i think that's the most direct question they'll ask you.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

More fun, when I was replacing the brake pads, I also noticed that my strut boot was in shreds, how hard is this to replace?
Not very hard if you are handy and the bolts are not rusted on. All it takes is for you to remove or somehow lower the strut assembly, take the top mount off (which requires springs compressors,) slid on the new boot and bump stop and reassemble the whole thing. Either that or ride until the shocks are gone, and then replace shocks and all related parts.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:47 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by firasatahmed
hi...I'm sorry to post here...i had no other choice as i had no privileges to put up a new post..i really need some help and your valuable suggestion for my Maxima 94 GXE..it was running fine until last week and all of a sudden it stopped..i showed to mechanic and after two days it started..and now again it doesn't starts...no one is ready to fix it..i dont know what the problem is..the battery is brand new...could anyone please suggest me what to do....i was thinking of going to the showroom..but scared that they might charge me more...please help me..thanks
1. what the heck is your screen name supposed to be
2. does it crank or "turn over" but not actually start?
there are many things it could be. I'm personally thinking the starter right now, but without more detailed info it's hard to tell you.
3. what is with all the double periods??

I also fixed your spelling as I am fairly fluent in ESL and Ghetto.

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)