3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension refreshments

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I miss my VE

Suspension refreshments

Hey guys, so my friend has decided to freshin up his suspension a bit, but cant afford struts yet so those will have to wait.. Found something that sounds a bit too good to be true here on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BALL-...item5add937d55

and you get all that for a hundred bucks.. Wonder how long that would last anyway, I forgot what he could replace in the rear.. I know there are the sway bar end links for the rear, but what else is back there? Parrelel links or something like that? How many bushings should he replace back there and what are their exact names? Thanks guys.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

that kit should be fine, but I would swap out the balljoint hardware for the original one (nearly had a catastrophic accident because two bolts (third was almost) broke on the ****ty hardware from some eBay bj's. 20k miles, the bj themselves are fine.)

the ES bushing kit will cover the rear suspension, minus the radius rods. I got a pair from ebay, they worked fine (couldn't find just the bushings)
Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 PM

i got basically the same kit for around the same price from a different seller, all was good and everything had bushings on it
Old 11-30-2010, 11:28 PM

is there a complete ES bushing set available for 3rd gens... like with... say a car with an aftermarket worth a damn?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Yeah I bought that same kit on eBay for the same price but may have been a different seller, but everything worked out fine except the ball joints were not greased... easy fix tho.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
i got basically the same kit for around the same price from a different seller, all was good and everything had bushings on it
Dude I'm gonna b!tch slap you if you don't get those te37's put on soon! I wanna see what they'll look like on the terd gen!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM

i looked up the same exact kit and seller on ebay. planning in buying and swapping out my current (new) balljoints. i just really need control arms but why not change out everything to a fresh front end. i also have to but struts. does anybody see pre spring loaded struts for out cars (i have a 94 ve auto)?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:27 PM

plus for the Front sway bars you can get these! Autozone $22, i haven't install them yet, but will do this weekend!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by BenStoked
that kit should be fine, but I would swap out the balljoint hardware for the original one (nearly had a catastrophic accident because two bolts (third was almost) broke on the ****ty hardware from some eBay bj's. 20k miles, the bj themselves are fine.)

the ES bushing kit will cover the rear suspension, minus the radius rods. I got a pair from ebay, they worked fine (couldn't find just the bushings)
Oh really? Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like some crappy hardware.

Sweet.. So did ya have any issues with greasing anything or any strange noises after install?

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Yeah I bought that same kit on eBay for the same price but may have been a different seller, but everything worked out fine except the ball joints were not greased... easy fix tho.
How'd you grease them? Doesn't look like there are fittings. Did you lift the boot somehow and shoot the grease in there? Is that all right to do?

Originally Posted by coolsun
plus for the Front sway bars you can get these! Autozone $22, i haven't install them yet, but will do this weekend!
Wow, had no idea AZ sells stuff like that. Btw, that looks like some pretty cool hardware in the left of the pic
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I would buy the balljoints again, if I had to do it over. but I would reuse the stock bolt-thingy.
@coolsun
it's helpful if you post the numbers of that stuff. is it ES 9.5165r?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I would buy the balljoints again, if I had to do it over. but I would reuse the stock bolt-thingy.
@coolsun
it's helpful if you post the numbers of that stuff. is it ES 9.5165r?
Whoops forgot, its the 1 1/4 inch ES 9.5165R is correct. These are the greaseable ones so they are $3 more, but they do sell the non greaseable ones but you would have to order from them. I would recommend this one cause i think all poly or ES bushings should be greased cause its stiffer than stock.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Sweet.. So did ya have any issues with greasing anything or any strange noises after install?
i didnt do it myself, JSmax has a friend who was a Subie mechanic and knows EVERYTHING, especially Nissans so he did all of my engine and suspension stuff, no noises or anything afterwards. i just bought all the parts and he looked over things. there was actually alot of bad stuff on the suspension and lots of seized bolts so im thankful he was willing to do it. i'll be apprenticing in a couple months so afterwards maybe i can pass it on

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Dude I'm gonna b!tch slap you if you don't get those te37's put on soon! I wanna see what they'll look like on the terd gen!
soon enough lol, my cousins friend has a tire place so if i can get some used tires he will put them on and balance them for free, i got my lugs for them in the mail yesterday though. just have to wait for the snow to **** off though so i can get some summer tires on
Old 12-01-2010, 11:43 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

just have to wait for the snow to **** off though so i can get some summer tires on
Totally off-topic, but gah, being in Texas, I'm soooooo glad I don't have to mess with that
Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Totally off-topic, but gah, being in Texas, I'm soooooo glad I don't have to mess with that
its a pain, especially in March/April when its just soft dark slush allover, fun to slide in but it gets old really quick. especially since my digital entry isnt working so if i wash the car i have to spend a few bucks on the air hose at the wash or else my locks freeze, happened once at work but someones husband luckily came by and had deicer in his truck

its good for nothing crap, combined with salt it causes rust and crap

and at the junkyard ive had it where i lean to get something from a dash and when you rattle the car the snow breaks off and flies in your face
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 AM

Hey guys, so my friend has decided to freshin up his suspension a bit, but cant afford struts yet so those will have to wait.. Found something that sounds a bit too good to be true here on ebay

and you get all that for a hundred bucks.. Wonder how long that would last anyway, I forgot what he could replace in the rear.. I know there are the sway bar end links for the rear, but what else is back there? Parrelel links or something like that? How many bushings should he replace back there and what are their exact names? Thanks guys.
Aren't these all hard parts that don't need refreshing? Just tell him to replace all of the bushings with poly parts. Unless he has rusted through control arms or something
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE

+1. Summer tires all year FTW. (Houstonian here)
Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by colinod
Aren't these all hard parts that don't need refreshing? Just tell him to replace all of the bushings with poly parts. Unless he has rusted through control arms or something
His control arms are pretty bad in terms of rust, but theres tie-rods and ball joints that come for that price. Hes paying for the labor so him burning those old bushings out is gonna run him close to the same Im assuming. And hes looking for some comfort, so the poly parts will probably be too rough.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Yeah I seen that myself but would be very concerned about the quality for that price, there was a better quality set on ebay for 60 more with a limited life time guarantee. I replaced my ball joints and sway links already but was considering buying that set anyway just to refresh the control arms/bushings even though mine aren't that bad. I just got some strut mounts and looking at springs. Since talkin' bout suspension, how bout this?

Quantity: 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293 0

or Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.

or
Amazon Prime Free Trial required. Sign up when you check out. Learn More
Amazon Prime Free Trial Free Two-Day Shipping is available to Amazon Prime members. To join, click "Add to Cart with FREE Two-Day Shipping" and confirm your Amazon Prime Free Trial sign-up during checkout.

Amazon Prime members enjoy:
  • Unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping
  • One-Day Shipping for just $3.99/item
  • No Minimum Purchase for free or discounted shipping

Important: Your credit card will NOT be charged when you start your Free Trial or if you cancel during the trial period. If you're happy with Amazon Prime, do nothing. At the end of the Free Trial, your membership will automatically upgrade to a full year for $79.

More Buying Choices
Aftershock Audio and Performance Add to Cart $166.55 + Free Shipping
AutoPartsWAY Add to Cart $164.06 + $10.99 shipping
TheFactoryD... Add to Cart $176.30 + $7.99 shipping
6 new from $126.03

Have one to sell? Sell yours here

Considering this as a gift?
E-mail someone a gift card featuring this item. Learn more

See larger image Share your own customer images

Eibach 5.67330K Pro-Alignment Performance Alignment Kit

by Eibach
5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
1 Review
5 star: (1) 4 star: (0) 3 star: (0) 2 star: (0) 1 star: (0)
See the customer review...

List Price: $164.10 Price: $126.03 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details You Save: $38.07 (23%)
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Only 3 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
Want it delivered Friday, December 3? Order it in the next 1 hour and 19 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details

Ordering for Christmas? To ensure delivery by December 24, choose FREE Super Saver Shipping at checkout. Read more about holiday shipping.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM

^ does that even work on our car? i dont think that has to do with handling?
anyway some poly bushings don't really mess up comfort cause its mostly for handling. The roughness would mostly be on the type of springs/struts. I got more poly today! $13 AutoZone for the sway endlinks
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by colinod
+1. Summer tires all year FTW. (Houstonian here)
Really where?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM

Mmmm suspension refreshments

Old 12-02-2010, 09:40 PM

In south texas. In houston. Since our typical low is around 40 I can sport summer rubber year round
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by Hectic
Mmmm suspension refreshments

Nicely done
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

sway bar end link bushings might as well replace end links. I have replaced sway bar end links, ball joints, outter tie rod ends, rack and pinion, 4th gen energy suspension control arm bushings, all four shocks, all brake hardware, front rotors, rear brake pads, power steering pump, both front wheel bearings, four wheel seals, both front wheel hubs from Nissan, and four new all season 205/55/R16 tires. That is suspension refreshment.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM

wow that does sound like some suspension refreshment
Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I miss my VE

I appreciate all the feedback guys, but I really don't think my question was answered. The only sensible response was that an 'ES bushing kit would cover that'.. What parts do these bushings go into? Typing in ES bushing kit at ebay or 92 nissan maxima rear bushings comes up with nothing. I dont even know what Im suppose to be looking for.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I miss my VE

Ok so I did some digging.. Aside from the rear sway bar bushings, is that the only bushings that could be replaced in the rear? Are those called the parralel link bushings? No wait, now I actually see smaller bushings there for parts I don't know names for. Would love to know where all these bushings could be purchased.

Last edited by VEvolution; 12-06-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM

This is what your looking for.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/energy-...ath=1610_5825&
Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I miss my VE

Thanks coolsun
Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM

oh wow great link coolsun thanks too!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Quick questionn coolsun I was wondering if you happen to kno what kind of bushings/struts/springs wld give me a more comfortable ride, also I got a lil confused with the part that some poly bushings don't "rly" mess up comfort..shld I be looking for a certain brand? I mean I would still like a pretty tight handle
Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BklynsmoeVE
Quick questionn coolsun I was wondering if you happen to kno what kind of bushings/struts/springs wld give me a more comfortable ride, also I got a lil confused with the part that some poly bushings don't "rly" mess up comfort..shld I be looking for a certain brand? I mean I would still like a pretty tight handle
Bushings, doesn't make much or even none of a comfort effect on a car. It is based on your struts and springs, best comfort ride would be stock springs/KYB Struts which what i have, but if u want more handling than comfort it would be Eibach springs and your choice of struts, cause and springs other than stock would be a bit more hard, bumpy.
Poly bushings is just the material, its not a brand. Poly is a firm rubber type and firmer rubber means better handling. If you haven't gotten a front strut tower bar (fstb) grab one on ebay and that would be a good start to handling.(since I think you drive a VE, you should look for the 5th gen fstb)
The Poly bushing i got are universal (brand-Energy Suspension). The rear Poly bushings are made for our car and provide a slightly tighter ride.
Search around for suspension upgrades, most handling modifications had been covered already. Good Luck
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I miss my VE

Wait, the FSTB marked for VEs on ebay won't fit the VE? It has to be 5th gen?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Wait, the FSTB marked for VEs on ebay won't fit the VE? It has to be 5th gen?
well, it has to be the ones with a raised bracket/bar, cause it won't clear the manifold
you want these

Not these for VE (you see how these are straight and doesnt have a bend to go up on the bar)
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM

well, it has to be the ones with a raised bracket/bar, cause it won't clear the manifold
you want these

Not these for VE (you see how these are straight and doesnt have a bend to go up on the bar)
I have the top one.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

I got an Otto fstb like James has VE-5
Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I miss my VE

You rock coolsun

doubleclutch, thats a sweet engine bay btw, whats that purple box on the firewall?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 PM

You rock coolsun
No problem, Just an update, those poly bushings for the front sways made a huge difference on the vehicle's turn in to the corners, or maybe its just that i had a busted bracket and worn out endlinks? In the end i think it was worth it, rather than a new front sway
here how the broken one looks
Old 12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Well now got two more pieces to add to my suspension refreshment. Two remaned rear calipers. Now almost all new suspension and brakes done lol just need to replace rear rotors when i do rear BBK and front calipers and pads as well as rotors when front BBK gets done.

Last edited by elusivemax93; 12-11-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:33 PM

Bushings, doesn't make much or even none of a comfort effect on a car. It is based on your struts and springs, best comfort ride would be stock springs/KYB Struts which what i have, but if u want more handling than comfort it would be Eibach springs and your choice of struts, cause and springs other than stock would be a bit more hard, bumpy.
Poly bushings is just the material, its not a brand. Poly is a firm rubber type and firmer rubber means better handling. If you haven't gotten a front strut tower bar (fstb) grab one on ebay and that would be a good start to handling.(since I think you drive a VE, you should look for the 5th gen fstb)
The Poly bushing i got are universal (brand-Energy Suspension). The rear Poly bushings are made for our car and provide a slightly tighter ride.
Search around for suspension upgrades, most handling modifications had been covered already. Good Luck
Thanks a lot coolsun appreciate the well explained response I was alrdy planning on going with kybs was jus a lil hazy on the poly bushin part..I had no idea about that fstb tho rly glad I held off buying one jus yet thanks again!

Quick Reply: Suspension refreshments