3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

J30 Brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:57 AM

J30 Brake conversion

Well, i did this brake swap about 2 months ago and now that ive proven it to myself i thought it would be a good thing to share it with everyone else. It uses the J30 calipers which is an upgrade because it is two piston and has more mass to suck up heat. It also uses the J30 Rotor, which is the same diameter, but is MUCH thicker. Stock rotor is about 3/4 of an ich where as the J30 rotor is 1-1/8 of an inch think. That means that there is alot more mass there to absorb heat also. The swap was pretty strait forward requireing very little fabrication, and all bolt on factory parts. It is a fairly easy swap to do.

Picture of the Two rotors next to each other

As you can see, theres alot more meat on the J30 rotor. In my eyes thats the most atracting part about this swap.

Pic of the assembled setup.

The only thing i had to fabricated is the 1/16 inch spacer that had to be made, or bought to space the Rotor out from the hub just enough to make it clear the caliper mount. Since i had to use the Maxima caliper mount, which is made for only a maxima rotor (3/4 inch), i had to make sure that the rotor was directly in the center. therefore the spacer was made. On a side note, if any of you are wondering, I had to use the maxima caliper mount becuase the j30 one spaced it about a 1/4 inch into to far towards the center of the hub. once i had the rotor spaced out i had to file a little on the caliper mount just to give it a little extra clearence so wheh your taking a turn the warping of the hub doesnt start makeing the rotor rub the caliper mount. This only took a matter of minutes on each side. the last thing i had to do was modify the maxima pads to fit into the space between the caliper pistons and the rotor. I found the the J30 must have thiner pads that maximas becuase when i put new maxima pads on it (maxima caliper mount) i found that the pad where always rubbing just a tad. it still drove fine but it made me nervouse haveing my brakes always rubing a little, so what i did to solve that poblem, I took them to a sander. It worked great, i took just enough off to make it not rub and not make any unwanted heat.

so hears a few pictures..

Edit: Added this photo because is shows the clearance between the rotor and the mount

I also added this because it shows one of the spots where you must file a little to get the caliper to clear the caliper mount freely, I clears without fileing but not loosly enough for my liking.

This entire brake upgrade at the time of installation cost me less than $100 I had just bougt new pads previous to install so im not counting that.

Calipers i got for a deal, $10 a piece,
Rotors where form slauterzone, Lifetime warrenty, but still crap. but hey... they where cheap. $35 a piece.

Feel free to ask any questions.

IM bad a typing what im thinking so im very sorry if this post is vague in places or just hard to understand. I will try and fix that if there are any problems.

Jeremy.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sweet, any chance of a more detailed write up later down the road? Not to doubt your work in anyway, since this is a pretty sweet looking job, but my main concern is that since the braking system on the maxima were designed around a flimsy looking rotor and caliper compared to that of the j30, the parts might be a bit weaker (thinner caliper mount, or a cheaper type of metalurg.) When doing the swap, the new system will no doubt have more clamping power, which in turns creates more stress on the caliper mount, so will it stand up to the new stress introduced? Sorry that I had to pose that question, but brakes are vital to your safety and mine (if I were to do the swap.) Thank you for your contribution though.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Getting back to his roots

Looking good! Are the J30 calipers the same as the 2-piston Q45 calipers?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
sweet, any chance of a more detailed write up later down the road? Not to doubt your work in anyway, since this is a pretty sweet looking job, but my main concern is that since the braking system on the maxima were designed around a flimsy looking rotor and caliper compared to that of the j30, the parts might be a bit weaker (thinner caliper mount, or a cheaper type of metalurg.) When doing the swap, the new system will no doubt have more clamping power, which in turns creates more stress on the caliper mount, so will it stand up to the new stress introduced? Sorry that I had to pose that question, but brakes are vital to your safety and mine (if I were to do the swap.) Thank you for your contribution though.

I understand your concern.. but this is how i see it. The most stress your caliper mount will ever see is that of brakeing just before you lock up your tires, or sometime around there. The factory brakes have plenty of power to do that so that means that the caliper mount is plenty strong for even the upgrade. Anyhow, the main reason for dong this upgrade isnt really for the extra brakeing power (in my eyes the factory brakes are plenty powerful) it is to have more mass to suck up more heat meaning.... your going to have that same braking power even after mashing the brakes 15 times in a row while going around a road course. Also, when comparing the J30 caliper mount with the maximas, they really look the same. There was no noticably larger or more reinforced areas. Again, this is just how i see it, and thankyou for your concern.

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
I honestly do not know, sorry
Old 12-04-2005, 10:02 AM

Nice writeup, This shoudl be linked to in the stickies.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:21 PM

well the way i look at it... when your brakes lock up... you are putting the same amount of stress on them no matter how hard you press on them
Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
well the way i look at it... when your brakes lock up... you are putting the same amount of stress on them no matter how hard you press on them
my thoughts exactly.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:57 PM
mod or sell?

you're over your limit
Old 12-04-2005, 03:05 PM

but how can you put more stress than your stock ones???? i mean if your brakes lock up.....you cannot put anymore pressure on them.... i mean the stock ones can lock up just like the j30's
Old 12-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you're over your limit
Fixed it

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2005, 03:43 PM

well...what u do to it?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 PM

i think he was talking about.. i was over my limit picture wise, on my hosting site.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 PM

ohh ok...got ya..sorry... in my point of view i think it would be fine...but i could be wrong.. i mean i dont see why it wouldnt work/ or break..but i can be wrong
Old 12-04-2005, 07:19 PM

That's it, guess I gotto get to work on my brakes next, thanks alot maxmaxima91!! Damn upgrades keep getting my wallet emptied out in no time.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:23 PM
RWD bolt-on conversion?

how does the increas in rotateing mass play in?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by andy044
how does the increas in rotateing mass play in?
well... i havent noticed anything. i dont think that it really would be noticable. I still do big smokey burnouts in more than one gear

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 PM

yea, but don't you have a turbo?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 PM

hea hea... maybe
Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 PM

well does it give you more braking power or not can you stop quicker with these
Old 12-04-2005, 09:49 PM

stop faster...maybe a little, thats all up to how much traction you have and youf ABS. if you have it. The whole goal of a brake upgrade is to be able to stop fast over and over again and not overheat your brake and get massive fade... Mainly on a road course. cause you dont want your brakes dieing as your going into a turn out of a straitaway at 100 mph. I never had my old brakes fade, but i was a little nervous.

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2005, 10:15 PM

dam thats a nice big o turbo you got in your sig. What is that? what the specs. Do you have that on the car now?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:38 PM

yup thats what in my car. its a garret t04b with a 1.32 exhaust a/r and a .60 compressor a/r. i think its the bigest t04 exhaust side they made. i love it

Jeremy
Old 12-05-2005, 05:10 AM
mod or sell?

why didn't you use the bracket off the j30 along with the caliper?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:40 AM

are you not reading the whole post again brian, cause I'm pretty sure that he said it put the caliper 1/4" too close to the center of the rotor, ie it DIDNT fit
Old 12-05-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Yep, they are the same, J30 and early Q45 sare the same brake components.
So i assume if they thing the brake is go enough for HEAVY Q45, and they work great on a heavy J30, they must be a good upgrade for a Maxima. Good find.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

Normally, you do just that. And just have a machine shop shave 3 mm off the radius of the rotor. Seems like alot less trouble than what he did.

Mix/Matching the mounts and calipers also explains why he had to do odd things to the pads and why he had to use a spacer. Never understood that until he posted what he did

why didn't you use the bracket off the j30 along with the caliper?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:46 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by twinkle
are you not reading the whole post again brian, cause I'm pretty sure that he said it put the caliper 1/4" too close to the center of the rotor, ie it DIDNT fit
that was b4 the spacer, I think he was using bare calipers (bracket not included) so he reused his factory brackets instead of the j30 brackets which jeff sez need to have the rotor shaved to use the j30 rotor if I understood him correctly
Old 12-05-2005, 10:56 AM

Jeff: after 3 mm were shaved off the J30 rotor, does the upgrade become a bolt on?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

Use J30 entire assembly + Shave 3mm from J30 rotor radius ( I think ), bolt on the assembly.

Doesn't anyone read the 300z coversion? It's the same procedure. The J30 and 300z mouting dimensions are the same (I believe). The 300z instructions have been around for years.

Personally I'd rather have the torque arm advantage of the 13" cobra rotor. But the good thing is my brackets might work for this conversion also. If someone is looking for a 13" rotor bbk w/ only a 2 piston caliper. Should allow more options for wheels. ie.. less spoke clearance is needed. Exactly WHICH wheels is a subject researched not by me. As I've not done this swap. You would need about 10mm more than normal I believe as my brackets space the caliper OUT a bit more.

that was b4 the spacer, I think he was using bare calipers (bracket not included) so he reused his factory brackets instead of the j30 brackets which jeff sez need to have the rotor shaved to use the j30 rotor if I understood him correctly
Old 12-05-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

In fact, I'd be willing to sell a set of bbk brackets and rings for a significant discount to someone willing to try this.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:55 PM

ummm how cheap I may try.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:05 PM
mod or sell?

Dam, I don't have money for it or I'd try
Old 12-05-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Normally, you do just that. And just have a machine shop shave 3 mm off the radius of the rotor. Seems like alot less trouble than what he did.

Mix/Matching the mounts and calipers also explains why he had to do odd things to the pads and why he had to use a spacer. Never understood that until he posted what he did
Not really, it may seam like theres alot to be done, but its not realy all that hard. I mean, i did all the fileing by hand it it didnt even take that long. i told myself "im not going to do this if have to get the grinder out to make it all clear nicely". but it turned out nice so i decided to try it. After driveing it for for almost 6000 miles with no problems i decided to do the little writeup. The way i did it is probably the cheapest way, (unless you own a machine shop). If anybody is interested, i am willing to cut a few 1/16 inch spacers on my cnc table. If your looking for the best Possible brake performance without a budget then Jeffs way is better. This is just a bit more cost effective way out. Althought jeffs idea of mounting the 2 piston calipers on cobra rotors is good also.. all im saying is that this upgrade can be done for less than $150 in most circumstances.

Jeremy
Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
In fact, I'd be willing to sell a set of bbk brackets and rings for a significant discount to someone willing to try this.
Hmmmm, does anybody remember there is a guy that has a Maxima w/Jeff's BBk
AND a J30?
Oh wait, that would be me. Can someone tell me exactly what do i have to do to help. Buuuuut give me some time, casue i have been really busy right now and really can't spare any time till may be Christmas.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Old thread, I know, but this is where my conversion began...I am here to tell you that the way Maxmaxima91 did it did not work for me, although I was using Q45 calipers instead of the ones from the J30. There are way too many clearance issues and after two afternoons carefully grinding and dremeling everything to fit together, I decided to scrap the idea.

So tomorrow I am going go the other route. I will have a machine shop grind 3mm off the rotor radius, and the same must be ground off the inner radius where the rotor contact surface becomes the art that mates to the hub. I will be using Q45 brackets and brake pads to complete the setup.

I also need a couple of those rubber boots for the brake pins...Hopefully one of the local parts stores can order them 'cause it will be a PITA to have to order them from Nissan...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Old thread, I know, but this is where my conversion began...I am here to tell you that the way Maxmaxima91 did it did not work for me, although I was using Q45 calipers instead of the ones from the J30. There are way too many clearance issues and after two afternoons carefully grinding and dremeling everything to fit together, I decided to scrap the idea.

So tomorrow I am going go the other route. I will have a machine shop grind 3mm off the rotor radius, and the same must be ground off the inner radius where the rotor contact surface becomes the art that mates to the hub. I will be using Q45 brackets and brake pads to complete the setup.

I also need a couple of those rubber boots for the brake pins...Hopefully one of the local parts stores can order them 'cause it will be a PITA to have to order them from Nissan...

Just buy a caliper rebuild kit at the autoparts store and it should come with that, its only like 5 bucks
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 AM

I like it. paint the callipers red!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Hmm. I've been here since Sept 2005, WhyTF did I not see this thread back then? Anyway I got access to all these parts incredibly cheap and think I might give it a shot just for the hell of it. The most expensive part is getting the 1/16 inch spacers but I guess I'll get cut something out of a freezer pizza cardboad
Old 04-23-2007, 04:23 AM

If you want the spacers, I'll sell them to you, John...Turns out I don't need them for the way I'm doing things...

Quick Reply: J30 Brake conversion