3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

mirror ground wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:46 AM

mirror ground wire

Hi all. Just did an s13 power folding mirror swap on my 3rd gen. I find if i push the button to fold one way weather it be in or out it folds fine but if i push the button to go back the other way right after it seems as if the power is weak but if i let it sit a minute it seems as if more power returns and it works fine so im wondering would tapping into the ground wire for the harness and grounding it somewhere to the frame maybe give it a stronger ground for a better operation when folding in and out simutaniously instead of having to wait a minute or two in between folding one way or the other? If so would anyone know which is the ground wire for the mirror switch? Im thinking it's the black but i want to be sure before tapping into it. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-16-2014, 03:15 PM

you're not supposed to go back and forth folding the mirrors like that, or so ive read. its a good way to burn up the motors.

i highly doubt "beefing up the ground" will do anything, im almost sure it wont. i dont have any info about the wiring that you're looking for but im pretty sure you should just fold the mirrors when you need to and not worry about flapping them back and forth rapidly, unless you're trying to fly.

i found a lot of good information about PFM on a G20 forum awhile ago...
Old 11-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Not sure it its normal but i wouldnt fold them constantly but only when you need to. I had grind down a raised dimple between the mirror base and mirror. Supposedly this is the end stop for the folding feature but for the S13 chassis. This could cause your concern if you dont grind it down. Try that and report back.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Don't ground anything to the door frame, it's a shoddy connection to say the least. If you did, you're definitely going to want to tap into the door harness instead. Pick the lowest gauge black wire, you can't miss it.

Probably isn't the cause of the weak operation, sure doesn't help though.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 PM

I wasn't folding them back and forth rapidly as im sure that probably would burn out the motor. I simply folded in which went in all the way fine then pressed the button to fold out and it would go so far then stop and if i pushed it again it would finally go all the way out as if the motor was getting a little weak. but if i fold one way it goes all the way fine then if i let it sit for a couple minutes it would fold all the way back the other way with no issues as if it needed a moment to charge between folding one way and back the other. Thats why i thought perhaps a better ground might help with it. GRNMAXDMON i noticed those dimples on the base and did make sure i grinded them down. The 3 screws obviously hold the mirror to the base just fine without those little dimples.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Don't ground anything to the door frame, it's a shoddy connection to say the least. If you did, you're definitely going to want to tap into the door harness instead. Pick the lowest gauge black wire, you can't miss it.

Probably isn't the cause of the weak operation, sure doesn't help though.
Hi Hectic, Im pretty sure the mirror harness has it's own ground being it has heated mirrors and movement for the glass. I was thinking the black wire at the harness connection where the switch plugs into is the ground and tapping into that and grounding it at the frame where the boot runs through to the door or around that area. I believe the only black wires in the door harness are the 2 for the heated glass.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Hi Hectic, Im pretty sure the mirror harness has it's own ground being it has heated mirrors and movement for the glass. I was thinking the black wire at the harness connection where the switch plugs into is the ground and tapping into that and grounding it at the frame where the boot runs through to the door or around that area. I believe the only black wires in the door harness are the 2 for the heated glass.
All wires at the white and blue mirror connectors lead to the factory mirror switch connector, they are all variable signal wires, and dependent on the state of the switch. With exception to the white/blue wire, which is your 12v source.

There is a constant ground wire at the door harnesses. I've used them on both sides. The ground wire is there for the window and door lock switches. If you want to track it down, it'll be the black wire that goes to the window switch connectors. On the master window switch, it's at the smaller connector (6 pin).

Folding mirrors isn't a mod I've considered, so I don't know whether or not the factory connector fits directly into the switch.. If it does, make sure the routing from factory switch connector to the 3 wire connectors is identical on both cars. IE: the same wires go to the same pin on each connector in each car. Otherwise, it's wired wrong in at least one way. I don't know if Dmad or anyone else did a write up on this, but hopefully someone has made sure the wiring is correct. Just as important even if the connectors are all identical, otherwise there are possible missing wires, or inaccurate pinning. Probably not easy to track down the JDM s13 manual to get the folding mirror diagram, but seems there would be one floating around on the net somewhere
Old 11-18-2014, 05:25 AM

JDM s13 mirrors use the same mirror tilt motors as 3rdgens, same wire colors, same plugs. At the door they usually have a 5 wire connector (3 for the mirror tilt and 2 for the power fold) however you have to cut that connector off in order to fish the wiring thru the mirror base so that's when Ill reattach stock connectors.

Ac I saw your pm. You'll have to remove that plastic cover that surrounds the pfm motor and see how the other wiring is routed thru. You'll have to cut the end off, fish it thru and then reattach. Be careful tho there's some kind of paste that you don't want to get on you when you take that plastic cover off.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
JDM s13 mirrors use the same mirror tilt motors as 3rdgens, same wire colors, same plugs. At the door they usually have a 5 wire connector (3 for the mirror tilt and 2 for the power fold) however you have to cut that connector off in order to fish the wiring thru the mirror base so that's when Ill reattach stock connectors.

Ac I saw your pm. You'll have to remove that plastic cover that surrounds the pfm motor and see how the other wiring is routed thru. You'll have to cut the end off, fish it thru and then reattach. Be careful tho there's some kind of paste that you don't want to get on you when you take that plastic cover off.
Lol Funny you mention it. It sucks getting it off of your fingers but i managed to figure it out. The top of the casing came off pretty easily so i re wrapped it with the black plumbing tape to seal the casing back together which worked well. I don't think it would have made any difference but rather than use the s13 harness i cut the wires and butt connected them to my stock harness wires i did that on the door connections only but before hooking anything up i ran 2 wires from the switch directly to the mirror for the folding only. That's when i noticed the weak fold. They work just fine if i fold one way then wait a minute or 2 before folding back the other direction. It's almost as if it needs that minute of rest to bring the power back. If i fold one way then back the other without waiting a minute or 2 it seems weak folding back which i suppose overall really shouldn't be an issue considering they will get folded in just fine before turning off the car then folding them out after starting the car back up which will work fine.

Last edited by ac max 92; 11-18-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 PM

Hope you didnt just splice and tie the wires togther since this just cause weak voltage to the motors? Hopefully you did it the right way. I had to order another set of PFM a few years ago but only to replace the pass. side motor. I noticed that the pass. exhibits the same symptom you are having. I recently replaced my battery and alternator and now i dont have the concern you are having. Weird? Hopefully you can resolve this issue. Having the PFM feature has been very usefull for me.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Hope you didnt just splice and tie the wires togther since this just cause weak voltage to the motors? Hopefully you did it the right way. I had to order another set of PFM a few years ago but only to replace the pass. side motor. I noticed that the pass. exhibits the same symptom you are having. I recently replaced my battery and alternator and now i dont have the concern you are having. Weird? Hopefully you can resolve this issue. Having the PFM feature has been very usefull for me.
Hi GRNMAXDMON, I did actually just tie/splice the 2 folding wires just to test it but when i put both mirrors on i did all the wires in the door with butt connectors and shrink tubing over the butt connectors to seal them. Being they are not stock you do have to properly splice the wires in the door. I used the stock harness connectors in the doors for the mirror movement and defrost and butt connected those wires to the ones from the s13 mirrors which are the same it's only the pink and orange for the fold you have to run the 2 new wires for to each door for a total of 7.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724

Try fishing all these through..

Name:  DSCN7991_zps6691e493.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  51.1 KB
Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 PM

I have the mirrors on. Basically what i did is cut the connector off the s13 mirrors being they're different from the stock and spliced them to the stock connectors. Did the same for the defrost wires as i had to fish those 2 black wires from the mirror to the stock door connector. The white connector has the 3 wires for the tilt function and i just had to run the 2 wires to each door for the folding feature. The blue connector has only the 2 black wires for the defrost but looking at your blue connector at the door Hectic i see you have 3 coloured wires?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
The blue connector has only the 2 black wires for the defrost but looking at your blue connector at the door Hectic i see you have 3 coloured wires?
I used the blue connector for a custom project. My car doesn't have heated mirrors, so I utilized the factory wiring instead of adding wires from the chassis to door. I added a ground wire to each of the center spots. Then spliced those into the factory door harness ground wires, which is what I was talking about earlier.