3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rear seatbelt location

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:51 PM

rear seatbelt location

After having a good amount of body work done on the back end getting new metal put into the back wheel wells and some work done in the trunk i got another set of rear shoulder belts. I want to get my back seatbelts put back in. The back passenger side is still in the proper location so im hoping i wont have any issues with it locking up when i put it back in but after having the work done i need to find out the exact location of where the rear drivers side belt goes as i believe the body guy may have put the new bolt hole in the wrong location but im not 100% Any pics. or measurements of the proper location of the bolt hole would be helpful and im hoping i can get the rear belts put back in without them locking up because from what i can tell they need to be in a specific postion. There is a plastic like needle that looks like it has to sit in a center point of a bell like weight in order for the belt to retract and not lock up. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by ac max 92; 11-22-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:12 PM

Should be identical measurements as the pass side.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:46 PM

It's keyed, you mount the assembly, make sure the right angle prong goes in the hole, torque bolt to spec.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
It's keyed, you mount the assembly, make sure the right angle prong goes in the hole, torque bolt to spec.
Does it need to be on a very specific angle as well as flush to the inner panel? I shouldn't have an issue with my passenger side as it was never touched. But the drivers side had new metal put in because it was starting to get rusted out on the drivers but I don't think the body guy put the bolt hole in the right location or if it doesn't so much matter the spot of the bolt hole then I'm guessing i need to figure out the angle the assembly needs to be on for that right angled prong to go in as i don't believe the body guy made a hole for it to fit into below the mounting hole he drilled.

Last edited by ac max 92; 11-23-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM

He shouldn't have to put a hole in, the sheet metal should come with the proper hole for the alignment tab and the welded nut on the back of the panel in the proper locations out of the box, all he has to do is put the pieces where the old ones were which, given that it doesn't sound like this was due to accident damage, is virtually a nonissue.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Levsimus
He shouldn't have to put a hole in, the sheet metal should come with the proper hole for the alignment tab and the welded nut on the back of the panel in the proper locations out of the box, all he has to do is put the pieces where the old ones were which, given that it doesn't sound like this was due to accident damage, is virtually a nonissue.
I didn't realize you could buy the panel pre fabbed to just weld in place or i definately would have had the body guy go that route. It was never in an accident. The inner wheel wells and that inner panel on the drivers side where the belt mounts was getting pretty bad rust wise so he replaced the metal but again had i realized there was a pre fabbed panel available i would have had him put it in.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
I didn't realize you could buy the panel pre fabbed to just weld in place or i definately would have had the body guy go that route. It was never in an accident. The inner wheel wells and that inner panel on the drivers side where the belt mounts was getting pretty bad rust wise so he replaced the metal but again had i realized there was a pre fabbed panel available i would have had him put it in.
Oh shoot, that explains it! If it makes you feel any better, this day in age, oddsare the most common replacement sheet metal is likely no longer in stock with Nissan, but yes indeed, they're not cheap but you could probably hand build an entire car from premade pieces and sections from the factory. Tis how we fix cars in the auto body trade when the panel can't be saved. Cut out the old, weld in the new!

At any rate, now that we're on the same page, the suggestion that the left and right side are more or less identical should be true but you'll need the welded nut/plate our whatever the belt bolts to on the back before you'll have any success. I admit I don't know specifics for our cars though.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Levsimus
Oh shoot, that explains it! If it makes you feel any better, this day in age, oddsare the most common replacement sheet metal is likely no longer in stock with Nissan, but yes indeed, they're not cheap but you could probably hand build an entire car from premade pieces and sections from the factory. Tis how we fix cars in the auto body trade when the panel can't be saved. Cut out the old, weld in the new!

At any rate, now that we're on the same page, the suggestion that the left and right side are more or less identical should be true but you'll need the welded nut/plate our whatever the belt bolts to on the back before you'll have any success. I admit I don't know specifics for our cars though.
Its 18ga metal that was put in. I just placed it in a certain position and was able to release the belt so I'm thinking I'm just going to have to tinker around until I get the position right on it and make the holes I'll obviously put a nut on the back but tack welding it in that area may be a little difficult due to space and being close to the filler neck. Levsimus, if your able to get that panel pre fabbed do you want to get me a price? I'm sure remounting it and making new holes will work fine. I'm sure in body work these thing can and need to be done at times but a part of me also wonders if there's any standards on such a job being it is a seatbelt.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM

I can ask, but I don't work at the Nissan body shop anymore, so whatever price I get would be different due to my new employer getting charged presumably less than asking price, and certainly my price was dealer cost so that'd be significantly lower than what you'd get at the counter.

Courtesyparts has it listed (I'm assuming we're talking about the inner wheelhouse, I've never really looked hard at the inner structure of our trunk space so I'm not sure exactly what panel we're talking about) for about 300 bucks. No idea if thats even in stock.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1747_1748.html

If I'm looking at the parts fiche correctly though, and the link isn't wrong, you can get the outer wheelhouse, outer wheelhouse extension along with the jack mount bracket for 185 bucks or so, plus another 600 bucks for the exterior quarter panel sheetmetal. That'd more or less build you an entire new corner not including floor rails, floor pan or package tray for under a thousand bucks in sheetmetal parts (don't know what kind of price reduction/markup they use on their site though, so YMMV)

Shipping would likely be insane though if you bought online, this is something you'd want to buy through a body shop that has a good relationship with your local nissan dealer, or simply buy it directly from a local dealer. They'll probably mark it up but if they're getting a discount, you'll probably still come out on top if the dealer stock orders everything (and therefore pays little to no shipping for a trade-off of a longer lead time)
Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 AM

^ Thanks Levsimus, I dont see the inner trunk panel where the seatbelt mounts to in that link but those wheel arches/wells definately would have come in handy. The body guy i know improvised and formed his own patching everything up to make it good and solid again but the parts around the filler neck would have been handy too but now after this work has already been done i think it would be kind of senseless to tear it down again just to put those arches in if i could even get them. The panel where the back left seatbelt mounts to would be great. Thanks. I will take a look on courtesy's site to see if i can find that panel otherwise i'll just have to find a spot close enough to the old one, drill the necessary holes and mount it with a nut and washer on the back side of the panel. Thanks again for your help