3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New ECU? No FI pulse on one cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:30 PM

New ECU? No FI pulse on one cylinder.

1991. SE engine swap continued.....
Troubleshooting today and pulled the #2 FI connector. No change in the idle. Plugged in a noid light and no pulse. Plugged it into the other 5 and had pulse. Checked the sub harness and it has power and the connections are good. Tracked it back to the #110 pin on the ECU and it all looks good. . not sure how to test from the ECU to the sub harness because it's a ground...my tester lights up on all of the FI pins. sounds to me...after all the searching and reading...that I must have a bad driver in the ECU for the #2 injector. Any other ideas out there?!?
One other small issue...no high beam on the right front. Tried 3 new bulbs and each time I go to high the fixture goes dark. Weird.
On a positive note...I replaced all 4 struts, mounts, boots...etc and the four I pulled were all shot. Now she rides like new!!

Name:  imagejpg1-3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 12-15-2014, 06:31 PM

She sits pretty good now and cleaned up nice. Shampoo out the interior and cleaned all the teenager beer, puke and who-knows-what stains out of it. The fabric was amazing! Cleaned up like new!

Name:  imagejpg4-2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  imagejpg2-3.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  imagejpg3-2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  96.9 KB
Old 12-15-2014, 07:23 PM

You must be in a nice climate. The cars looking pretty darn clean. Ive had to sink alot into mine to get it looking good though the interiors always been nice and clean. If you've got power it sounds like it rules out a broken wire in the harness. Was that the cylinder that was dumping fuel? Maybe a faulty injector? Could you maybe try plugging in a connector from another cylinder to see if it changes cylinders?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
You must be in a nice climate. The cars looking pretty darn clean. Ive had to sink alot into mine to get it looking good though the interiors always been nice and clean. If you've got power it sounds like it rules out a broken wire in the harness. Was that the cylinder that was dumping fuel? Maybe a faulty injector? Could you maybe try plugging in a connector from another cylinder to see if it changes cylinders?
I believe it's the one causes the fuel smell but don't know. I will try the plug from #4 over to it tomorrow if it will reach. Of course.....#2 is the tough one to get to. The injector was rebuilt and I have the test printouts from the shop. The guy is a FI expert and I trust his work. With the Noid light showing no pulse I don't think its an injector failure. I'll post results tomorrow.

(Edited for typo)
Thanks AC!

Last edited by Not a mechanic!; 12-16-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:59 PM

Oh...and the car is straight and ...after some work...very clean. I live 45 miles north of Seattle though. Can get sloppy!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:19 AM

The combination switch is the culprit why the light does not work. There's only two Philips head screws that mounts it to the steering column. After removing it, there is a small plastic that covers the contacts, clean them off and ensure there are making good contacts when the switch is operated. I've serviced mine with good effect.
I would not recommend switching wires from one injector to the other as the firing sequence is different for each one - if there are no breaks in the wire, then it is probably the ECU. Are there no jy close enough?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:28 AM

Thanks Tiniform!

Originally Posted by Tiniform
The combination switch is the culprit why the light does not work. There's only two Philips head screws that mounts it to the steering column. After removing it, there is a small plastic that covers the contacts, clean them off and ensure there are making good contacts when the switch is operated. I've serviced mine with good effect.
I would not recommend switching wires from one injector to the other as the firing sequence is different for each one - if there are no breaks in the wire, then it is probably the ECU. Are there no jy close enough?
I will look for that switch today! And there's a LOT of junkyards around. Not sure I trust putting a junkyard computer in the car though?!? How do I know it's the right one? Probably a model number or something ? And how do I know it works? Then again, you probably run the same risk with the 200.00 re manufactured ones I see online huh?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Not a mechanic!
Oh...and the car is straight and ...after some work...very clean. I live 45 miles north of Seattle though. Can get sloppy!
Having a good alignment done after the suspension work you did is always good. Glad to hear the cars straight lol. If it gets a little sloppy where you are I'd keep it rust coated annually. I rust coat mine on an annual basis and it definitely helps especially after all the body work I've had done and perhaps if it's not too costly or if you can find a spare it may not hurt to try another ecu like previously suggested.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:15 AM

Having a good alignment done after the suspension work you did is always good. Glad to hear the cars straight lol. If it gets a little sloppy where you are I'd keep it rust coated annually. I rust coat mine on an annual basis and it definitely helps especially after all the body work I've had done and perhaps if it's not too costly or if you can find a spare it may not hurt to try another ecu like previously suggested.
Will do on the alignment! I'm thinking about shipping this over to Honolulu when I go back to work so my wife has a commuter car when she's there. Lots of rust on he islands so the anti-rust coating will be a must. Need to kill this Cancer first. Then worry about Cancer on the car! .
Old 12-16-2014, 06:42 AM

I found a thread here where a guy with a third gen hooked up his injector harness to the tranny harness during a swap. Exactly what I did! It damaged his ECU and his idle was unadjustable...exactly what mine is doing. The injector issue is OLD because when I pulled the old engine #2 cylinder hadn't been firing in a long time. So...swap ECU AND ALL IS FIXED! I found a used parts shop 24 miles from me that specializes in Nissan and Infiniti only! Score. Stay tuned....I may even find the missing fog lights there!! And an antenna that works!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Not a mechanic!
I found a thread here where a guy with a third gen hooked up his injector harness to the tranny harness during a swap. Exactly what I did! It damaged his ECU and his idle was unadjustable...exactly what mine is doing. The injector issue is OLD because when I pulled the old engine #2 cylinder hadn't been firing in a long time. So...swap ECU AND ALL IS FIXED! I found a used parts shop 24 miles from me that specializes in Nissan and Infiniti only! Score. Stay tuned....I may even find the missing fog lights there!! And an antenna that works!
Awesome. Hopefully that does the trick. From what I see your car is the se model otherwise I have an ecu from a 94 gxe but it obviously wouldn't do much good being you have an se. If your stuck check the classifieds as well. There are a few members I saw that are parting out and may have the ecu your looking for. When you get better and do get into body work on the car check the rear wheel arches behind either side of the back seat and in the wheel wells. I've noticed those to be the biggest spots of concern rusting right through to the back seat especially the drivers side and where the back seatbelt mounts in the trunk. Keep us posted and let us know how your making out. So far for "I'm not a mechanic" you seem to be doing a good job bringing your car back to good shape. Keep up the good work
Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Success!!!!!

It was the ECU creating the 51 code AND the idle issues! Found a new ECU at the used Nissan parts house and plugged it in. Fired right up, no engine light and idles great! Also found a sun roof glass for 75.00, mine was cracked, and a Nissan antenna still in the bag for 40. A good day!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 PM

Funny...the engine I pulled out wasn't running on #2 either. I never thought about it because I was scrapping the motor. Probably the first time this car has had 6 cylinders firing in a very long time. Will time it and put the sunroof in and the antenna. Just about done! They had 2 right fog lights and no left. He's looking for a left. It will feel good to put the final pieces in! Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Awesome. Sounds like you made out pretty good. So the other motor may have still been o.k. May have been a good parts motor. Glad to hear its coming together well and its obviously keeping you in good spirits.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Awesome. Sounds like you made out pretty good. So the other motor may have still been o.k. May have been a good parts motor. Glad to hear its coming together well and its obviously keeping you in good spirits.
The motor was shot because she blew the timing belt and half a dozen folks tried to start it afterwards. I still kept it for parts though. 100 core charge is nothing. It had a lot of good parts on it! Thanks for your constant help AC. It was great to have someone to bounce this stuff off!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:58 AM

The project continues! Got another check engine light after she started sputtering and backfiring. Code 45. Fuel injector leak. No odor under the hood I could find but sure smells like gas coming out of the exhaust! Then I blew a fuse replacing a tail light and blew 3 more tring to get them to work. I'm sure they worked before?!? I had just replaced a brake light when I noticed all 4 lower bulbs were dark. Blew fuse after fuse trying to get them on. Looks like I have a short to track down. I'll check the 3 body grounds and go from there I guess. Still have the 1 high beam issue to check too. Someone mentioned a component screwed to the steering column. I'll start there for that gremlin....
Well, I was a little sad to have nothing to do because my car project was done...today looks like I may be busy again! .
Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 AM

On a good note...I got the antenna to work after the junkyard gave me the wrong one to start with. Tried to get it to work for over an hour ( had to pull the motor out and disassemble to remove the broken off parts from the little storage compartment) and finally googled the part number on the bag. 1994 and newer. Drove back and ...after arguing a bit with the guy who pulled the part for me...I asked him to show me his list he goes off of to sell these. He pulled his book out and I pointed to the part number he gave me next to 94+. I then pointed at another part number next to the 89-93 and asked if he had one of those....he said "My bad". Hahaha. He swapped no problem even though I destryed the one he gave me in my efforts to make it work. Still stoked to have Feldons Auto to go to!! They only do Nissan, Infinity and Datsun. A gold mine!!

Last edited by Not a mechanic!; 12-18-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:11 AM

Being a Project Manager of huge construction projects gives me a pretty good attitude for Mechanic-ing! When I was running the construction of the new Disney Aulani Resort on Oahu my Blackberry would go off over 200 times a day with emails and phone calls. Most of them problems that needed solved with my help. A lot of folks would get overwhelmed but the good Lord has gifted me with a temperament that just digs in, not get too upset and fix the issue. That seems to be helping me on this car project!!! Also seems to be helping me fight this Cancer! :-)

Last edited by Not a mechanic!; 12-18-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:25 AM

Thanks tiniform!!!!

I had some doubts on the high beam fix being the combination switch Tiniform described. Didn't even know where to look for it. Started looking under the hood near the steering column. finally figured out its way at the other end of the column. Took it off and found the little plastic cover over the contacts Tiniform described. Turned the lights on and pressed the contact furthest to the left.....2 high beams!!! I just pressed firmly on the lowest end of this 1-1/2" copper spring like contact to create more tension and VIOLA!! We have 2 high beams!!! Thanks Tiniform!! Awesome help!! I would have NEVER EVER EVER found that. :-).
Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Also fixed the tail lights! On a roll. Now if I can just get the engine to run! LMAO.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 PM

U r welcome my max brother. I research this forum a lot when I got my 1st gxe and it has always been a great help. I am happy to see the 3rd gen numbers increasing on the org lately.
Your car looks great by the way.