3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

which downpipe flange size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TurboA32
I don't know cuz i bought my turbo on the streets n it came with vband. Fits prefect yho
Old 02-20-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by TonyJr
I don't know cuz i bought my turbo on the streets n it came with vband. Fits prefect yho
(The v band for the turbo should be flat and fit plush with no gasket needed so if it fits perfectly on the turbo then good) but for the rest of the exhaust you want the obx v-band with the lip..
Old 02-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Was asking question about stainless steel n steel welded together if its a problem or headache welding it.
Its no problem if the welder your using can weld stainless steel....for example I have a mig welder that says "not suitable for stainless steel" and I another mig welder that welds stainless steel and will weld stainless and mild steel together easily. I have a tig welder that will weld stainless steel and mild steel together easily. So it depends on the welder but as long as it can weld stainless steel its easy
Old 02-20-2015, 12:56 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Was asking question about stainless steel n steel welded together if its a problem or headache welding it.
Yes and I answered that but you must have missed it
Old 02-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by James92SE
Also, for future reference Tony - yes mild steel and stainless can be welded together no problem. My muffler is stainless welded straight to my mild steel.

Of course, you have none of the rust-proof benefits of the welds when you do this via MIG welding with normal C25 gas or whatever. But that's somewhat irrelevant anyway if the rest of the system isn't stainless.
it can be done...my only issue is the thermal expansion since the exhaust/DP goes through a massive range of temp.

less of an issue with it's out in the exhaust tube...more of an issue when it's feeding the turbo....but that's personal preference.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Its no problem if the welder your using can weld stainless steel....for example I have a mig welder that says "not suitable for stainless steel" and I another mig welder that welds stainless steel and will weld stainless and mild steel together easily. I have a tig welder that will weld stainless steel and mild steel together easily. So it depends on the welder but as long as it can weld stainless steel its easy
wait...you lost me here...

a MIG welder should be able to handle mild steel or stainless steel as long as you have the proper wire loaded up into it...and if you have the correct gas.

why would one MIG have listed down not suitable for SS? it a flux core welder?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

No
errr....you CAN use one..
http://store.034motorsport.com/v-ban...-gasket-3.html
Old 02-20-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY

a MIG welder should be able to handle mild steel or stainless steel as long as you have the proper wire loaded up into it...and if you have the correct gas.

Yes flux core
Old 02-20-2015, 02:03 PM

it can be done...my only issue is the thermal expansion since the exhaust/DP goes through a massive range of temp.

less of an issue with it's out in the exhaust tube...more of an issue when it's feeding the turbo....but that's personal preference.
Good point. My SS bit is at the very very back (muffler). My flex section is probably SS though. But then again can't really get away from that there.

But given the vast amount of mild steal options for the collector he shouldn't even be trying to bother with it regardless

I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen MIG stuff listed as "not suitable for SS", and figured it's all just subject to wire and gas requirements. Then again I've only ever messed with my Hobart MIG so I figured maybe this "not suitable for SS" bit is maybe an issue with some other MIG welders
Old 02-20-2015, 02:52 PM

Good point. My SS bit is at the very very back (muffler). My flex section is probably SS though. But then again can't really get away from that there.

But given the vast amount of mild steal options for the collector he shouldn't even be trying to bother with it regardless

I was thinking the same thing. I've never seen MIG stuff listed as "not suitable for SS", and figured it's all just subject to wire and gas requirements. Then again I've only ever messed with my Hobart MIG so I figured maybe this "not suitable for SS" bit is maybe an issue with some other MIG welders
I was talking about a flux core welder which is a gasless mig (uses self shielding gas within the wire itself) it's not suitable for stainless steel. I call it a mig because well it looks just like a mig. Here's what I have

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html
Old 02-20-2015, 03:22 PM

(The v band for the turbo should be flat and fit plush with no gasket needed so if it fits perfectly on the turbo then good) but for the rest of the exhaust you want the obx v-band with the lip..
That's the same vband i have.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Welder king here lol

Man i wish you guys lived in Florida.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM

I was talking about a flux core welder which is a gasless mig (uses self shielding gas within the wire itself) it's not suitable for stainless steel. I call it a mig because well it looks just like a mig. Here's what I have

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html
Yes I know what flux core is and how it works but flux core is not MIG. The very term MIG itself implies the use of gas. So it never even occurred to me to think of flux core stuff when we're talking about MIG welding

But yes now I understand what you mean. Years and years ago when I had a crappy $100 flux core welder I tried to weld an SS tip to an exhaust and the SS stuff was just totally immune to it. I was like wtf is this black magic
Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 PM

Yes I know what flux core is and how it works but flux core is not MIG. The very term MIG itself implies the use of gas. So it never even occurred to me to think of flux core stuff when we're talking about MIG welding

But yes now I understand what you mean. Years and years ago when I had a crappy $100 flux core welder I tried to weld an SS tip to an exhaust and the SS stuff was just totally immune to it. I was like wtf is this black magic
Yea I tried to weld stainless steel with my flux core welder and it wasn't pretty lol
Old 02-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Welder king here lol

Man i wish you guys lived in Florida.
Since you bring up welding are you going to be welding yourself and if so what welder do you have?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:31 PM

Welding stainless to mild steel need to use 309l wire/filler. Stainless to stainless 308 wire for 304l and 316 for 316 with a tri mix gas. Same with tig except straight argon.

Last edited by akurtzer57; 02-20-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 PM

I use .030 carbon steel wire on my mig when I'm welding stainless steel with mild steel exhaust pipes And 25% co2 and 75% argon mix
Old 02-20-2015, 08:02 PM

I use .030 carbon steel wire on my mig when I'm welding stainless steel with mild steel exhaust pipes And 25% co2 and 75% argon mix
Will hold fine just giving the info in proper procedure.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:35 AM

Since you bring up welding are you going to be welding yourself and if so what welder do you have?

I though about it but I'll let the pros do it
Old 02-21-2015, 10:29 AM

I though about it but I'll let the pros do it
I think you should give it a try It really isn't hard to weld
Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Yes flux core

yes...flux core is not MIG...as James mentioned. just b/c it's from the same machine the lack of shielding gas turns it into arc welding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux-cored_arc_welding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_metal_arc_welding
Originally Posted by akurtzer57
Welding stainless to mild steel need to use 309l wire/filler. Stainless to stainless 308 wire for 304l and 316 for 316 with a tri mix gas. Same with tig except straight argon.
quoted for truth here ^^^^

so basically you leave the same set up as mild steel. you CAN do it...but at that point might as well run all mild steel piping.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I think you should give it a try It really isn't hard to weld
honestly...unless he's willing to ready to get serious with this and start welding other stuff then what you're recommending him to do is a waste of time and money.

he would need to get a mig welder, the gas+tank, regulator (if it doesn't comes with it), helmet, gloves, protective gear, wire...other BS (nozzle dip, grinder, fiberglass mat, etc etc) before a MIG gun can hit any metal. that's quite the investment for an one time set up.

let's not go into the time to learn how to weld....the materials he'll waste on welding scrap tubing. then if it's a turbo set up he'll need to get a chop saw...even an HF one is still some cash.

anyone can glob some metal on a pipe and have it stick..but someone that actually puts in the time and effort to do it well is a true crafts man.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by danny

honestly...unless he's willing to ready to get serious with this and start welding other stuff then what you're recommending him to do is a waste of time and money.

He would need to get a mig welder, the gas+tank, regulator (if it doesn't comes with it), helmet, gloves, protective gear, wire...other bs (nozzle dip, grinder, fiberglass mat, etc etc) before a mig gun can hit any metal. That's quite the investment for an one time set up.

Let's not go into the time to learn how to weld....the materials he'll waste on welding scrap tubing. Then if it's a turbo set up he'll need to get a chop saw...even an hf one is still some cash.

Anyone can glob some metal on a pipe and have it stick..but someone that actually puts in the time and effort to do it well is a true crafts man.
+1
Old 02-25-2015, 11:49 PM

he would need to get a mig welder, the gas+tank, regulator (if it doesn't comes with it), helmet, gloves, protective gear, wire...other BS (nozzle dip, grinder, fiberglass mat, etc etc) before a MIG gun can hit any metal. that's quite the investment for an one time set up.

let's not go into the time to learn how to weld....the materials he'll waste on welding scrap tubing. then if it's a turbo set up he'll need to get a chop saw...even an HF one is still some cash.

anyone can glob some metal on a pipe and have it stick..but someone that actually puts in the time and effort to do it well is a true crafts man.
He can get everything he needs to start welding for around 300 bux at harbor freight and can use mild steel and or aluminized Steel using a flux core welder
and anything Stainless he can get welded and he'll have the satisfaction from doing it himself
Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

He can get everything he needs to start welding for around 300 bux at harbor freight and can use mild steel and or aluminized Steel using a flux core welder
and anything Stainless he can get welded and he'll have the satisfaction from doing it himself
or the frustration that he wasted 300 bucks on stuff that he probably won't use again and then he has to go out and pay for someone to do this for him.

you think he'll take the time to learn how to weld himself? a leak free weld? really?

go back and read my last line.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 PM

or the frustration that he wasted 300 bucks on stuff that he probably won't use again and then he has to go out and pay for someone to do this for him.

you think he'll take the time to learn how to weld himself? a leak free weld? really?

go back and read my last line.
The person asked about welding because I believe that he/or she wanted to attempt to weld themselves this would be a perfect opportunity to start. For all we know he or she could be a natural at welding and be very good at it and the money shouldn't be an issue because (lets just call this person a he) he is going to have to come out of pocket regardless because he's trying to turbocharger his car ( never ending money pit) im sure most people heard the saying " if you want to play you have to pay" now im not trying to be a smart guy in any way so dont take anything im saying the wrong way but he asked would it be hard to weld stainless steel and mild steel together and the answer is no it isn't. Ever since i answered his question i feel like im being targeted here when im just trying to help and boost his confidence. I thought this was a fourm where we help one another and share our ideas
Old 02-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

The person asked about welding because I believe that he/or she wanted to attempt to weld themselves this would be a perfect opportunity to start. For all we know he or she could be a natural at welding and be very good at it and the money shouldn't be an issue because (lets just call this person a he) he is going to have to come out of pocket regardless because he's trying to turbocharger his car ( never ending money pit) im sure most people heard the saying " if you want to play you have to pay" now im not trying to be a smart guy in any way so dont take anything im saying the wrong way but he asked would it be hard to weld stainless steel and mild steel together and the answer is no it isn't. Ever since i answered his question i feel like im being targeted here when im just trying to help and boost his confidence. I thought this was a fourm where we help one another and share our ideas
is it hard to weld stainless steel and mild steel together? he11s yeah it's hard when you don't have a welder and knowledge of MIG welding or arc welding. that's the point i'm trying to make.

if you welded in the past and know what you doing and have the right equipment...sure it's a lot easier.

the forum is to give sound advice to people.

if tony want to buy the equipment and start welding then he should go for it...but he will need to make a significant investment (time and money) to it in order to make good/leak proof/structurally sound weld.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:08 AM

Guys tony isn't doing any welding. Lol
Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Guys tony isn't doing any welding. Lol
i figured as much..LOL
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM

Damn it....lol
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 AM

https://i.imgur.com/jbBywgm.jpg

What kind of work can i do with this. Just wondering?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 AM

You can weld fence posts and accomplish other hillbilly type tasks with it
Old 02-28-2015, 07:01 AM

You can weld fence posts and accomplish other hillbilly type tasks with it

Lmao