3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

which downpipe flange size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:53 AM

https://i.imgur.com/kJCYzIK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/w9Qs8Mi.jpg

Making my own 3in downpipe. Is this the right one i need to order?

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...069911&alt=web

Or 3.25"

Last edited by TonyJr; 02-19-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:45 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Are you taking a picture of your turbine side there? Does your turbine housing have no threaded bolt holes for a DP flange? What are you planning to do, weld a v band to it?

I think a lot of turbing housings are cast iron. Welding to cast iron is pretty difficult
Old 02-19-2015, 05:30 AM

What's the easiest way to go by this?

Damn i just bought a t3 to t3 adapter flange with wastegate port. That is cast iron. Good thing im getting a shop to weld it.

https://i.imgur.com/iHYJvL3.png

Turbine side has no thread or bolt hole. My thinking was to weld a 3.25" v band flange to downpipe and then use the v band that came with the turbo to join both together. The exhaust sode of turbo looks like it connects with a v band. Im guessing this is the new style of joining downpipe took turbo. No bolts use only v band

Last edited by TonyJr; 02-19-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:58 AM

I don't know the best way to go about that. I've never messed with that style turbine housing or looked into it. My turbine housing came pre-drilled for a bolt-on flange as I assumed most do. I would say you could drill and tap your own threads but I don't even see spots to do that. Dan or Chris (Maxpwer) may know more about your style turbine housing

Why are you trying to go with a 3.25" V band though? Your downpipe and exhaust will be 3". If you have a 3.25" v band you'll then have to step down again to 3" for the rest. And your own measurement with the rulers shows 3" would be a better fit anyway.

The adapter flange you bought is irrelevant to this because it requires no welding. The flange you just bought is total bolt on and one side bolts to your inlet of the turbine housing. Then your reverse y-pipe bolts to the other side.

Just an FYI though, the flange you just bought is a textbook improper way to orient your wastegate. I told you specifically in one of your other threads about how you want a Y inlet to your wastegate.

This is the way you want to do it:

This is textbook poor way to do it B and textbook poorer way to do it C. The flange you just bought has your wastegate oriented like the left side of this picture:

Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

can you take a pic of the turbo housing...in a few angles. it LOOKS like the turbo has a v-band but it's hard to see since you're directly on top. is there no vband lip on the housing at all? that's going to be tricky.

as to the inlet...is your turbo is a T3 or a T4?

there's multiple styles of housing, 4 bolt, 5 bolt, 5 bolt with internal WG, v band, etc.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
can you take a pic of the turbo housing...in a few angles. it LOOKS like the turbo has a v-band but it's hard to see since you're directly on top. is there no vband lip on the housing at all? that's going to be tricky.

as to the inlet...is your turbo is a T3 or a T4?

there's multiple styles of housing, 4 bolt, 5 bolt, 5 bolt with internal WG, v band, etc.
T3 and yes it has a v band lip.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
I don't know the best way to go about that. I've never messed with that style turbine housing or looked into it. My turbine housing came pre-drilled for a bolt-on flange as I assumed most do. I would say you could drill and tap your own threads but I don't even see spots to do that. Dan or Chris (Maxpwer) may know more about your style turbine housing

Why are you trying to go with a 3.25" V band though? Your downpipe and exhaust will be 3". If you have a 3.25" v band you'll then have to step down again to 3" for the rest. And your own measurement with the rulers shows 3" would be a better fit anyway.

The adapter flange you bought is irrelevant to this because it requires no welding. The flange you just bought is total bolt on and one side bolts to your inlet of the turbine housing. Then your reverse y-pipe bolts to the other side.

Just an FYI though, the flange you just bought is a textbook improper way to orient your wastegate. I told you specifically in one of your other threads about how you want a Y inlet to your wastegate.

This is the way you want to do it:

This is textbook poor way to do it B and textbook poorer way to do it C. The flange you just bought has your wastegate oriented like the left side of this picture:
Your right damn.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by TonyJr
T3 and yes it has a v band lip.
so it looks like you have a 3" v-band...your ruler is not directly right in the middle of the opening so maybe that's why you're getting a lower number.

is your DP going to be SS also? you want to stick with similar metals when you're building the exhaust piping.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:46 AM

What I'll do is use the flange n extended it with a pipe with the right angle then mount wastegate at the end of it.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i think you're missing the point. it's the angle that the flange is held in the exhaust piping...extending it by sticking a pipe to it will just make it worse.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 AM

so it looks like you have a 3" v-band...your ruler is not directly right in the middle of the opening so maybe that's why you're getting a lower number.

is your DP going to be SS also? you want to stick with similar metals when you're building the exhaust piping.
No ss.
The turbo came with a 3.25" v band.
I order exhaust, dp,manifold piping thur mes website
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Huh?

Your turbo DOES OR DOES NOT already have a V band flange on it?

If it DOES, then what are you talking about welding anything to it?

*edit* nevermind. Re-reading your stuff now makes more sense.

YES if your turbo DOES have a V band flange on it, then you will just need a 3.25" V band to weld to the downpipe side.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 AM

Huh?

Your turbo DOES OR DOES NOT already have a V band flange on it?

If it DOES, then what are you talking about welding anything to it?

*edit* nevermind. Re-reading your stuff now makes more sense.

YES if your turbo DOES have a V band flange on it, then you will just need a 3.25" V band to weld to the downpipe side.
Yea just order the v band flange for both ends for. $16
Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Yea just order the v band flange for both ends for. $16
Did the V band flange you bought match the style of the one on the turbo? By "style" I mean specifically the "lip".

Brands don't like to mix and match, because many of the bands are machined with a different angle. So, although you'd assume you can clamp brand X flange to brand Y flange that is usually not the case. Some have different diameters, thicker vs thinner "lips", clamps that won't fit over both styles, etc. Some V bands even have a machined lip and recess built into the flat mating surfaces. These are REALLY nice to use because they line right up but they don't mix and match with other brands.

And it's extra annoying when you welded in a V band set, then can't remember where you got it from or who the maker was to buy a replacement clamp or whatever. Last time this happened to me I stocked up on a set of 5 or 6 matching sets of V band sets from the same maker just for any future changes I may/need want to make.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 AM

Did the V band flange you bought match the style of the one on the turbo? By "style" I mean specifically the "lip".

Brands don't like to mix and match, because many of the bands are machined with a different angle. So, although you'd assume you can clamp brand X flange to brand Y flange that is usually not the case. Some have different diameters, thicker vs thinner "lips", clamps that won't fit over both styles, etc. Some V bands even have a machined lip and recess built into the flat mating surfaces. These are REALLY nice to use because they line right up but they don't mix and match with other brands.

And it's extra annoying when you welded in a V band set, then can't remember where you got it from or who the maker was to buy a replacement clamp or whatever. Last time this happened to me I stocked up on a set of 5 or 6 matching sets of V band sets from the same maker just for any future changes I may/need want to make.

Good to know. My order comes with 2 vband flange and a vband to clamp it so I'll be ok. But it's good to know that kind of info.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 AM

Good to know. My order comes with 2 vband flange and a vband to clamp it so I'll be ok. But it's good to know that kind of info.
Yes of course your kit comes with 2 v band flanges and a clamp.

.... but you will only be using one those flanges.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM
No turbo, no care!

James is correct, there are 3 different styles of v-band that are not compatible. Just knowing the size isn't enough. Why don't you contact the seller of the turbo, he MIGHT be able to help you. The fact that it's a Chinese knock-off complicates things because you can't just look up the info you need on the manufacture's site. It could even be a non-standard v-band that you can't (easily) find a mate for. Perhaps machining off the v-band on the turbine housing and welding on a new one will be the easiest solution.

Think of your exhaust as a race track, you want to maintain the fastest average speed. (Or think highway on ramp vs 90) Straight away are great, but for a 90 degree turn, you need to slow way down, as opposed to a gentle curve where you might not even need to hit the brakes). Start your wastegate outlet as a gentle curve (shoot for 45 instead of 90 degrees) and merge it back in with the same angle, if you want to get rid of the open dump.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i got all my vbands from ATP turbo.
i got one set from CRM and they were horrible compared to ATP. the v-bands with the male/female lip part are really good at sealing stuff up.

are you 100% sure that's a 3.25 v-band? the sizing is the tube/pipe size..not the actual flange size.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:46 PM

i got all my vbands from ATP turbo.
i got one set from CRM and they were horrible compared to ATP. the v-bands with the male/female lip part are really good at sealing stuff up.

are you 100% sure that's a 3.25 v-band? the sizing is the tube/pipe size..not the actual flange size.
Lmao but i just realize that my turbo i bought came with the male n female flanges. When i bought the turbo from a guy he gave me a vband clamp but i didn't realize that the flanges was in on the vband lol. I'm feeling stupid but happy that i don't have to spend money on vband.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 PM

https://i.imgur.com/5jRvymY.png

I'm about to order this. And pay maybe $150 to finish the welds for dp, exhaust muffler, manifold.

What you think?
After this all i need is wideband, fuel pump, nistune. Almost a turbo ve.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM

They have great prices on the mandrel bends. You will need some 2.5" for your intercooler piping if my assumption is correct your intercooler is 2.5" inlet/outlet?

It's tough to gauge just how much piping you will need ahead of time. I like to overbuy just in case. If you are very very judicious with your cuts that may be enough. If you can afford it, perhaps get two sets of the bend packs just in case.

You also will want a y collector to merge your two 2" pipes for your turbo side of the y pipe.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM

You also will need a flex section in your downpipe
Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 PM

You also will need a flex section in your downpipe
I'm ordering the ypipe of ebay dual 2" to single 2.5 ".

Where did you install your flex pipe on the dp
Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 PM

Same approximate area as the stock one

Look above my sway bar here

Name:  image_zps5316e282.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  118.6 KB
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Same approximate area as the stock one

Look above my sway bar here
Ok got it thanks. Did you vband your mes exhaust system to dp? I bought the 12pcs intercooler kit so i have the piping for it . But I'm swapping the bov location for the afm z32 n62 location.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 PM

Ok got it thanks. Did you vband your mes exhaust system to dp? I bought the 12pcs intercooler kit so i have the piping for it . But I'm swapping the bov location for the afm z32 n62 location.
Well I'm running a cat but yes it's all v band

Not sure a universal IC piping kit will work but it may be possible

And I'm glad you're swapping your BOV and MAF from how you originally had it drawn, seeing as you literally can't vent it after the MAF since that air has already been metered. So not really a choice there. BOV before MAF is non-negotiable
Old 02-20-2015, 03:42 AM

Just order mes exhaust system. Is it 1 piece or 2,3 piece?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

umm how about some silicone couplers?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 AM

Just order mes exhaust system. Is it 1 piece or 2,3 piece?
I don't remember. I think 2. Technically you can put it together with no welding though because it has slip joints and you can use clamps on it
Old 02-20-2015, 04:42 AM

umm how about some silicone couplers?

If you talking about couplers for intercooler then yes i have lots. It came with the kit.

https://i.imgur.com/KjcdtGM.png

I got this kit
Old 02-20-2015, 05:32 AM

I don't remember. I think 2. Technically you can put it together with no welding though because it has slip joints and you can use clamps on it
Perfect less work to do. All i have to do is weld a vband flange to front side of exhaust piping and attach it to dp.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:33 AM

Do i vband use gasket?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 AM

If you talking about couplers for intercooler then yes i have lots. It came with the kit.

https://i.imgur.com/KjcdtGM.png

I got this kit
The drawing you posted of your setup looks like you are planning to lay your setup similar to mine. In that case, it looks like you might roughly be able to make all the bends you need with this kit depending on your turbo placement.

If you are intent on using all universal stuff like this for your intercooler you will almost certainly need to mount/position your turbo AFTER mounting your intercooler stuff.

I say that, because if your turbo is mounted in a position that requires any bends other than these simple 90 degree bends in your kit, your kit won't work and then you're stuck building piping anyway.

Does that make sense?

I did it the opposite way. I positioned my turbo as the very first thing I did. Then I built my entire setup around that position. I assume this is how most people do it.

Do i vband use gasket?
No
Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 AM

The drawing you posted of your setup looks like you are planning to lay your setup similar to mine. In that case, it looks like you might roughly be able to make all the bends you need with this kit depending on your turbo placement.

If you are intent on using all universal stuff like this for your intercooler you will almost certainly need to mount/position your turbo AFTER mounting your intercooler stuff.

I say that, because if your turbo is mounted in a position that requires any bends other than these simple 90 degree bends in your kit, your kit won't work and then you're stuck building piping anyway.

Does that make sense?

I did it the opposite way. I positioned my turbo as the very first thing I did. Then I built my entire setup around that position. I assume this is how most people do it.

No
Awesome i was going to mount turbo first too. Thanks for the headup.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 AM

About to order y pipe collector. But they only make it in stainless steel and my manifold is regular steel from mes. Can i mix the piping when it comes to welding
Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 AM

There are hundreds of Y collectors out there. Why do you say they only make it in SS?

Are you checking Jegs and Summit?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Found this in 10 seconds...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowmaster-Y200250-2-IN-to-2-5-FINAL-Universal-Scavenger-Series-Y-Collector-/121183199271?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3714e027&vxp=mtr
This is the one I use

*edit* For future posterity, it's Flowmaster Part # Y200250
Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 AM

Also, for future reference Tony - yes mild steel and stainless can be welded together no problem. My muffler is stainless welded straight to my mild steel.

Of course, you have none of the rust-proof benefits of the welds when you do this via MIG welding with normal C25 gas or whatever. But that's somewhat irrelevant anyway if the rest of the system isn't stainless.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 AM

Do i vband use gasket?
If you get the obx v-band they have a lip for sealing check this out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181639510577?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Was asking question about stainless steel n steel welded together if its a problem or headache welding it.

Quick Reply: which downpipe flange size?