3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:38 PM

Rear disc brake conversion

Been reading through the stickies but can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether the rear disc setup from an ABS car would work on the gxe swap without changing master cylinder. I see where the non abs will work with my master but all the max in my local jy have the abs.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
Been reading through the stickies but can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether the rear disc setup from an ABS car would work on the gxe swap without changing master cylinder. I see where the non abs will work with my master but all the max in my local jy have the abs.
Well there are ABS specifications for the calipers (different part numbers). So if you don't have ABS, you should probably wait. I don't think the service manual shows any difference between them, so they might work, but because they have specific part numbers, I'd wait for a non ABS one to show up just to play it safe. Master cylinder is totally different, but it sounds like you know this already.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Well there are ABS specifications for the calipers (different part numbers). So if you don't have ABS, you should probably wait. I don't think the service manual shows any difference between them, so they might work, but because they have specific part numbers, I'd wait for a non ABS one to show up just to play it safe. Master cylinder is totally different, but it sounds like you know this already.
Thanks hectic, you confirmed what I was thinking, I will wait for a non abs.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 PM

Arent all 4 wheel disc equipped 3rd gens ABS only and non ABS are with rear drum brakes? Guess I never paid attention in that dept???
Old 09-10-2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Arent all 4 wheel disc equipped 3rd gens ABS only and non ABS are with rear drum brakes? Guess I never paid attention in that dept???
I believe it was probably an option back then just like a/c. Now its almost unheard of to get a new car without being equipped with a/c or abs. I have 4 wheel discs and no abs.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:48 PM

I know for sure the 89-92 were not all abs - heck, I'm not even sure any were - but I am not sure if there were any SEs post 92 that were not. I have come across some 93 GXEs with the digital climate control at my jy and they are 4wheel disc with the abs. I want to do the swap with the bigger calipers which are from the 92-94 SEs.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
I know for sure the 89-92 were not all abs - heck, I'm not even sure any were - but I am not sure if there were any SEs post 92 that were not. I have come across some 93 GXEs with the digital climate control at my jy and they are 4wheel disc with the abs. I want to do the swap with the bigger calipers which are from the 92-94 SEs.
This is a tough one at least for me champ. Where is Matt or Jeff? They should know more about this. For now I think you have to wait until you come across one without ABS.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:24 AM

ABS was an option.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:24 AM

To date, I have been unable to find a non abs rear disc car for my swap. Next weekend is the half off sale at my local jy and I'm tempted to go get the setup from the abs car, what is the main difference? Is it just caliper sizes? Can I just get everything else for the conversion less the calipers and then buy refurbish calipers for the non abs?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:54 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Sorry I'm late to this thread but I think you're over thinking this.

I have owned two 92 VE's - one with ABS and one without.

I can definitely say from experience - the actual calipers are the same between non ABS and ABS (they may technically have different OEM Nissan part numbers but they're physically the same). All the rotors are the same.

The ABS differences are found elsewhere but not on the caliper/rotor. Differences:

- The caliper mounting bracket that bolts to the spindle behind the dust shield - the ABS version has a circular cutout for the ABS stuff that is lacking in the non-ABS version.

- The dust shield also has a circular cut-out as well that is lacking in the non-ABS bit.

- The lower strut housing/spindle/hub setup is different between ABS and non-ABS. You can't use the strut housing/spindle/hub setup from a non-ABS car on an ABS car (if you want to keep ABS), because the ABS version of the strut housing/spindle/hub setup has a spot for some bits to bolt to that is lacking on the non-ABS version (just like the bracket and dust shield).

- The ABS hub has the notched ring on it. Non-ABS hub does not, obviously.

Anyway, so where I'm going with this is that there is absolutely no reason you can't just get "ABS" calipers and rotors and use them on your non-ABS car. You just won't working have ABS, obviously.

The only no-go would be trying to use 1989 or 1990 stuff on your 1994. I know for certain the 1989 rear discs had a different/incompatible e-brake setup. I found this out the hard way once scoring rear discs from an 89 SE at the junkyard only to realize when I got home they wouldn't work. I think the 1990's had this too.

Just make sure you go 91+ to be safe. To be absolutely certain, go 92+
Old 12-08-2015, 10:00 AM

just a side note. i put in 00-01 rear disc and caliper brakes on my 93 ve5 non-abs and it works. ONLY thing was the e-brake wont work. the mechanism is layout differently, (obviously). but for me i didn't mind. i parked in gear and it solved that problem anyways.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:54 PM

Thanks a million guys, my concerns are now laid to rest. Heading to the jy next wkend.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Conversion was a success. Thanks to all who helped me along. Merry Christmas.