3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Trying to start 89 Maxima and the alarm locked my key in!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trying to start 89 Maxima and the alarm locked my key in!

So I was charging the battery up earlier today then hooked it back up to the car. The alarm is going off, I unhooked the horn chip from the terminal on the left side under the dashboard to prevent my neighborhood from freaking out when the alarm goes off at times like these. I heard this disables the alarm, but the blue light on the left side of the dashboard is still blinking so its still on.

Anyway I use the button on the remote to unlock the doors to stop the alarm, it's still going. So I use the key to unlock the driver's door manually, get in and put it in the ignition in another attempt to stop the alarm. It doesn't start nor does the alarm stop. I go to pull the key out and.... it's stuck! I can't get it out!! ahhhhh

Luckily I have my spare key with me, but I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery with the black plug and the same things happened.

Please help!
Old 12-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please can someone help?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:05 PM

Check to see if your car is "locked" in the park position. You should hear the solenoid click when it is in the park position.
Also to turn off the alarm, you might want to unlock other doors with the key.
The latter happens to me.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
Check to see if your car is "locked" in the park position. You should hear the solenoid click when it is in the park position.
Also to turn off the alarm, you might want to unlock other doors with the key.
The latter happens to me.
Alright so I tried locking it into Park. I'm not exactly sure what to hear for with the solenoid but I shifted it back to Rear to Park and pushed it forwards while holding the button and even wiggling it in place.

I tried opening the trunk, the trunk opened, alarm didn't disable from what I could tell. Disconnected and reconnected the battery during each attempt btw.
I tried unlocking the passenger door, but my key literally won't make it budge even when the passenger door lock is set to open.

I tried opening the driver door and a method I found that works or at least from what I've experienced so far, is moving the key to Lock then to Open and it will open all the doors. BUT the dashboard still won't light up, the alarm doesn't turn on, and MY KEY IS STILL LOCKED IN THE IGNITION!

I tried reconnecting the Horn Fuse while battery's disconnected, unlocking driver door, then disconnect reconnect battery and do the same with the trunk, then disconnect the battery and disconnect the Horn Fuse and try again. STILL NO LUCK. This method worked for me the last time I had my key locked in the ignition.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:56 PM

Maybe a silly question but did you press the button on the ignition below the key that releasss the key from the steering column? Otherwise it sounds like the shifter isn't engaged all the way to park. Also just simply unlocking the drivers side door with the key should disable the factory alarm. Do you have an aftermarket alarm system or something?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Maybe a silly question but did you press the button on the ignition below the key that releasss the key from the steering column? Otherwise it sounds like the shifter isn't engaged all the way to park. Also just simply unlocking the drivers side door with the key should disable the factory alarm. Do you have an aftermarket alarm system or something?
Yeah I did. I don't know, is there a surefire way to check?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still need help.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by neessanhelpman
Yeah I did. I don't know, is there a surefire way to check?
when your alarm is going off is it just "beep, beep, beep, beep" along with the headlight flashing?
that's your factory alarm.

if your alarm is sounding like a police siren then it's aftermarket. if you have a remote with the key that's also aftermarket.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

around the ignition key cylinder there's a little circular trim ring around it. it's where the key ring is glowing when you open the door. pop that open and there's a little release pin/lever/switch in there that you can flip and it will release the key.

i believe it's covered in the owners manual if you still have it.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:13 PM

Try moving the steering wheel left and right while trying to remove the key happens to me everyday with this car but you probably already got it by now almost a year Later lol