3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brake caliper question.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:39 PM

Brake caliper question.

So i noticed the past couple weeks or so my car was making like a grinding noising coming from the driver side wheel area. Finally took the tire off to find a deep scratch in the rotor so i thought maybe a rock might of just got stuck in there. I got the rotors resurfaced but the noise is still there. Took the tire back off and can see a light line in the same spot as if the pad is digging in to the rotor..So I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I'm thinking maybe the caliper is not retracting back all the way thus the pad is constantly grinding against the rotor? Does that sound about right and if so is my best bet just buying a new caliper?
Old 12-04-2016, 05:22 PM

If the piston in the caliper was seized on one side and not retracting you'd think you would feel the car pulling on that side? Did you put on a new set of pads when you did the rotors? Take the caliper off and put a c clamp on it to see if the poston retracts. If so your calioer should be o.k if so grease the slider pins and boots and put it back together if the caliper piston doesn't retract then yes it would probably be a good idea to replace it. Check the classifieds. I believe DanNY has all 4 for sale (used) if they haven't sold yet.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:39 PM

Yes i barely replaced the rotors and brakes maybe 4-5 months ago..I provided pics of what is happening. After i noticed that i was able to get the rotors resurfaced and i used the same pads since they are farely new still, they just sanded the pads down to take that line off but the grinding noise is still there. Took the tire back off and can see that line forming again. I also did push the caliper piston back with a c-clamp and it went in pretty easily. I'll try the grease tomorrow..Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Brake caliper question.-imag0445.jpg   Brake caliper question.-imag0446.jpg  

Last edited by tmorales509; 12-04-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Search this Thread