3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Shock or Strut issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:31 AM

Shock or Strut issue?

Hello All

Just recently, I noticed that my car rides much stiffer on the right front side. And, the right front side is sitting lower than the left front. Would this be a Shock or Strut issue?

Thank You

Last edited by Kiron Kid; 12-22-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:30 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Shocks and struts - the terms are used synonymously even though they aren't technically the same thing. Technically the 3rd gen has MacPherson style struts.

Your better question is whether or not it's a spring issue or a strut issue. Of course we have no way of knowing that remotely and so your best bet is to get in there and look. Unless your spring is randomly cracked and sagging then it's likely your strut has failed.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Shocks and struts - the terms are used synonymously even though they aren't technically the same thing. Technically the 3rd gen has MacPherson style struts.

Your better question is whether or not it's a spring issue or a strut issue. Of course we have no way of knowing that remotely and so your best bet is to get in there and look. Unless your spring is randomly cracked and sagging then it's likely your strut has failed.

Thank You. I believe you are correct. I'm having difficulty locating a new (loaded-ready to install) unit with coil and spring. I know they exist and are common. Where do you recommend I get one? I've tried, NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Baxter, etc.

Thank You
Old 12-24-2016, 01:43 AM

Thanks. I just discovered that my local mechanic will replace both front end Struts for under $300 bones.

Thanks.