3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

fuel leak from tank/filler/something

Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

fuel leak from tank/filler/something

fuel leaks (a big slash, then a trickle, then just dripping) as soon as the filler neck fills up and the gas pump handle clicks, but not during the early part of the fillup, just the last 5 seconds of it. I know it's some kind of hose or the filler neck leaking or ill-fitted. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, depending what the problem is, is there any chance of some kind of leak (if it leaks gas, it definitely leaks air too) up in that area could affect engine performance, say, if it's the vapor line? Just curious because i've never gotten above 18mpg (usually 16-17) even after my plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuelfilter/pcv/fuel-injector-cleaner work. About 80%/20% city/highway miles.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 AM

I had the same problem a while back. For me, it was a small hose on the filler to the tank (I think.. it was a while ago) that had cracked. Changing it was a PITA though.

If you have the same problem I had, it shouldn't cause much trouble in performance since I averaged around 22 mpg (although mine was about 90/10 Highway to city) But I kept getting the same mileage after changing it.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 AM

I had the filler pipe replaced becuase of salt issues back in 2000. In 2006 I had a gas smell then a full leak after filling. It was the rubber boot/sleave between the filler pipe and tank.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jackb_guppy
It was the rubber boot/sleave between the filler pipe and tank.
That's the same place mine was leaking from. The was a small crack in the rubber boot. Got a new piece of rubber for less than 2 bucks.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jackb_guppy
I had the filler pipe replaced becuase of salt issues back in 2000. In 2006 I had a gas smell then a full leak after filling. It was the rubber boot/sleave between the filler pipe and tank.
I can't remember, but it seemed like we looked up under the car with a flashlight and the filler neck was saturated for as far as we could see. The thing you're talking about is right there at the top of the tank, right, but I think my leak maybe is higher than that. I'll look next time, if I can find a good gas station in a non-crowded area, where I can spend some time jacking the car up and looking under it just after I leave the pump.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 PM

i had something similar happening but it was just a small hose on the filler neck, like nineohse said, it was a PITA to change
Old 03-11-2007, 12:04 PM

Another idea, i know when i fill my tank i smell gas in the car when i take corners fast or stop quick or punch it. The seal on top the tank where the sending unit is crapped out i gotta go to the dealership and get one. As for fuel efficiency i wonder if maybe when i fix it I'll get better millage

------------------
Warpspeed Y, Custom CAI, ( soon to be 2 1/2" exhaust with new muffler, and UDP ) will work on the intake runners and exhaust ports this summer.

92 Maxima SE 5spd
Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by braxsusriely
Another idea, i know when i fill my tank i smell gas in the car when i take corners fast or stop quick or punch it. The seal on top the tank where the sending unit is crapped out i gotta go to the dealership and get one. As for fuel efficiency i wonder if maybe when i fix it I'll get better millage
If you're evaporating gas out of your tank, depending how long you sit on a tank, it will help to have that not happen anymore. My gas lasts about 2 weeks per tank, so mine has more time to leave than, say, a commuter, who refills every 5 days. So my improvement would be more noticeable than the commuter because his car uses the gas before it evaporates, assuming this is happening, of course. It could be a side-effect of the busted-whatever that we're leaking from. But yeah, my car gets stinky at random times too.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Might have something to do with the recall issue.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

It's the vent hose. That's very common to leak in the 3rd gen. It's a short run of hose that shouldn't have fuel in it unless you overfill your tank. The fuel will leak at first when you fill up your tank all the way. Then it will trickle out as fuel sloshes back into the vent hose. It should stop leaking as you get down to 3/4 of a tank or less.

If it's not the vent hose, then you have a broken filler neck, gas tank, metal fuel line, which is possible with a lot of corrosion if you live in snowy areas. And yes, they do have a recall for something pertaining to this if your Maxima comes from a select few states that have snowy conditions.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
It's the vent hose. That's very common to leak in the 3rd gen. It's a short run of hose that shouldn't have fuel in it unless you overfill your tank. The fuel will leak at first when you fill up your tank all the way. Then it will trickle out as fuel sloshes back into the vent hose. It should stop leaking as you get down to 3/4 of a tank or less.

If it's not the vent hose, then you have a broken filler neck, gas tank, metal fuel line, which is possible with a lot of corrosion if you live in snowy areas. And yes, they do have a recall for something pertaining to this if your Maxima comes from a select few states that have snowy conditions.
[heh we swapped posts on each others' theads]
Anyways.. is that vent hose supposed to leak, or is that a problem leak? I use automatic fill at the gas station, so the neck fills up to the pump nozzle.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
[heh we swapped posts on each others' theads]
Anyways.. is that vent hose supposed to leak, or is that a problem leak? I use automatic fill at the gas station, so the neck fills up to the pump nozzle.
No, the vent hose is not suppose to leak! It is just a 5/8" or so rubber fuel hose that connects the filler neck metal vent tube back to the gas tank.

It's ok to just let the gas pump click off by itself. But if the vent hose is cracked, then it will definitely leak right at that moment and leak all the way home until the fuel level is lowered.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

No, the vent hose is not suppose to leak! It is just a 5/8" or so rubber fuel hose that connects the filler neck metal vent tube back to the gas tank.

It's ok to just let the gas pump click off by itself. But if the vent hose is cracked, then it will definitely leak right at that moment and leak all the way home until the fuel level is lowered.
sounds just like what it's doing. PITA repair? I was actually looking under my car (one hand on the pump, other on my bumper) friday afternoon waiting for a puddle to show up. it went SPLASH-click, that fast.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
NWP Engineering.com

sounds just like what it's doing. PITA repair? I was actually looking under my car (one hand on the pump, other on my bumper) friday afternoon waiting for a puddle to show up. it went SPLASH-click, that fast.
Does it continue to drip after you stop filling up your car?

When my vent hose cracked, it would drip all the way home and once I got home, a 12" puddle would form when I let it sit in the driveway. NOT GOOD!

It's not too bad to repair. Just cut the old hose and remove it, carry it to the parts store, get a piece of hose, then install it with new hose clamps. It's a little bit of a pain just b/c it's cramped. But all you need to do is jack up the rear a little so you have room and replace the hose. You don't have to drop the fuel tank or anything.

You can just let me replace it. Let me know and we'll schedule an appointment.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Does it continue to drip after you stop filling up your car?

When my vent hose cracked, it would drip all the way home and once I got home, a 12" puddle would form when I let it sit in the driveway. NOT GOOD!

It's not too bad to repair. Just cut the old hose and remove it, carry it to the parts store, get a piece of hose, then install it with new hose clamps. It's a little bit of a pain just b/c it's cramped. But all you need to do is jack up the rear a little so you have room and replace the hose. You don't have to drop the fuel tank or anything.

You can just let me replace it. Let me know and we'll schedule an appointment.
Yeah there's at least a 16" puddle in one of the parking spots at work... that i dropped there 3+ months ago. And I looked in my rearview the last time I filled up during the daytime (last month) and I watched as my car was leaving a dripdrip trail behind me... all the way around the gas station lot.

As for replacement, I guess you can do that whenever I go to your place for the measurements.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:04 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeah there's at least a 16" puddle in one of the parking spots at work... that i dropped there 3+ months ago. And I looked in my rearview the last time I filled up during the daytime (last month) and I watched as my car was leaving a dripdrip trail behind me... all the way around the gas station lot.

As for replacement, I guess you can do that whenever I go to your place for the measurements.
Yeap, that'll work out great!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:58 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I,m going to check my vent/filler neck hoses today...Mine has been giving me an intermittent gas smell as i drive,i haven't seen any puddles[yes i have been looking for them] of gas as of yet,just a intermittent strong gas odor..

It's not coming from the engine bay,the smell is localized to the cabin/d side of car...

Atleast it's gonna to be nice weather today[70 degrees]
Old 03-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I,m going to check my vent/filler neck hoses today...Mine has been giving me an intermittent gas smell as i drive,i haven't seen any puddles[yes i have been looking for them] of gas as of yet,just a intermittent strong gas odor..

It's not coming from the engine bay,the smell is localized to the cabin/d side of car...

Atleast it's gonna to be nice weather today[70 degrees]
If you can put 5 gallons in, top of and watch just below [the upper mount for right rear tire's forward parallel link (couldn't think of a better way to word it)] for a puddle to hit the ground as soon as the filler neck fills up. Half the puddle will be there within 2 seconds, if your problem is the same as mine.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

If you can put 5 gallons in, top of and watch just below [the upper mount for right rear tire's forward parallel link (couldn't think of a better way to word it)] for a puddle to hit the ground as soon as the filler neck fills up. Half the puddle will be there within 2 seconds, if your problem is the same as mine.
There is no smell or puddles of gas during/after i fill up,only a intermittent raw gas odor as i drive..It even smells when close to empty...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I think i found the "smell" issue...

The rubber overfill tube has several small cracks around where it hooks up the metal tube on the filer neck...

I will buy some rubber hose later today,and report back...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeap, that's the vent hose that is so prone to crack on the 3rd gen. Most don't smell the fumes until they see fuel puddling underneath their car! Good nose!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:54 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yeap, that's the vent hose that is so prone to crack on the 3rd gen. Most don't smell the fumes until they see fuel puddling underneath their car! Good nose!

Yeah,i don't think the cracks are big enough to actually let fuel drip out,but enough to let it weep out...It was enough for teh ole nose though..
Old 05-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Quick question on this tube. Is it possible to replace this tube with a full tank and not have gas leaking all over the place?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
mod or sell?

not a chance
Old 05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont have that swoosh when you take off the gas cap like other cars.No gas leaks. I remember someone talking about they fixed it. Was it the filler neck they fixed to get that pop back when you take the gas cap off.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by JRS89MAX
I dont have that swoosh when you take off the gas cap like other cars.No gas leaks. I remember someone talking about they fixed it. Was it the filler neck they fixed to get that pop back when you take the gas cap off.

Defective gas cap maybe?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 PM
mod or sell?

Defective gas cap maybe?
he didn't buy it from me so it can't be defective
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM

(Quote) I remember someone talking about they fixed it. Was it the filler neck they fixed to get that pop back when you take the gas cap off. (Quote)

It was probably me talking about the hiss that should come out of your gas tank cap once you have driven it around some. The his means its holding pressure No leaks !

So thats a good quick check to see if your tank is holding pressure.

It is a true pain to replace but once I got the hose on there and clamped it no more puddle. I got the hose for free the guy at the auto place asked me how much I needed and I said 1 foot and he laughed and just gave it to me!

So I fixed the vent tube hose not the neck but your case may be different!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
(Quote) I remember someone talking about they fixed it. Was it the filler neck they fixed to get that pop back when you take the gas cap off. (Quote)

It was probably me talking about the hiss that should come out of your gas tank cap once you have driven it around some. The his means its holding pressure No leaks !

So thats a good quick check to see if your tank is holding pressure.

It is a true pain to replace but once I got the hose on there and clamped it no more puddle. I got the hose for free the guy at the auto place asked me how much I needed and I said 1 foot and he laughed and just gave it to me!

So I fixed the vent tube hose not the neck but your case may be different!
So it was the vent tube hose.Gonna take a look tomm. to see how it looks.

It was probably me talking about the hiss that should come out of your gas tank cap once you have driven it around some. The his means its holding pressure No leaks ! ................Thats the part I remeber
Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Your hose probably won't have a huge devestating crack it probably will look normal mine did but I watched where the gas dripped once I added gas to the tank at home with the car stoped and jacked up and it came out of that hose.

Good luck and take something to scrape the crap out from under your car so you don't get crap in your eyes.

Don't ask me why I know to do this !
Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM

Gotta replace with pressured hose?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 PM

The rubber overfill tube has several small cracks around where it hooks up the metal tube on the filer neck...

I will buy some rubber hose later today,and report back...

I just fixed that on mine yesterday. Gas is too expensive to just let it drain on the ground. It was a huge PITA. Cut the new line about 3/8" shorter and it should go on without much cussing.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM

Forty do you have that hissing sound when you take the gas cap off now that you fixed it?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JRS89MAX
Gotta replace with pressured hose?
No just reg gas line

I tryed to find that large diameter fuel line but couldn't so I settled for heater hose and it still works.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 AM

I haven't had the cap off yet, I'll check at lunch and report back.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 AM

I had something similar happen like three years ago. I was filling up during a long-distance drive and noticed dripping gasoline. Thankfully there was a repair garage near the station and they quickly replaced a rubber hose, but it seemed to me like it was somewhere higher up than the one in the photo so it was probably the vent hose.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Checked my hose today. Nice 1 inch slice.Pretty bad area to work from. But it'll get done.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 AM

Changed my hose.Now my idle went up bought 500rpms. Anybody had this similar problem.Should I lower my idle? Was steady before,now a lil jumpy when I stop while the car is on drive.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM

Well my idle is high when I start my car cold like 1500 rpms then 3 min later it will idle at 900-1000 rpms then once I drive it it will idle at 800 rpms.

I have my idle set at 850 rpms when hot so when I put it in drive my idle dosent go low enough to shake my car. If i set the idle at 700 then put it into gear it would drop to 550 then shake my car. (Anyone else have this prob?)

I dont think your high idle has anything to do with your fuel vent line.

But could be i guess?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:04 PM

Im thinking even though its a fuel vent line it was losing some pressure. Cause I had a nice slice on the hose. Now that its sealed with a new hose It must have built some pressure it didnt have before that may change my idle. Correct me anybody if im wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel leak from tank/filler/something