4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

why do I have to press the gas to get my car started???

Old 06-21-2007, 06:48 AM

why do I have to press the gas to get my car started???

Every mornin or when the car sits for a while I go to start it up and it will crank all it wants untill I push the pedal and then it will turn on what's the deal???
Old 06-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ummm because you might not have enough fuel going through?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 AM

So many things could be the cause of this, something worth trying is getting your injectors cleaned.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try with the smallest thing. Fuel Filter. Costs about $15 from Autozone.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:53 AM

Hi there:

I had the same problem on my Max (98 SE) and it turned out to be a dirty butterfly valve on the TB. After thousands of miles, your TB can accumulate a lot of crap and it gets stuck on the edge of the butterfly valve and the valve itself, which does not allow it close properly. Then, when you go to start your car cold, the ECM thinks that there is too much air coming into the TB and adds more fuel, which is why you can crank and crank and the engine will never start. That is, until you press and/or hold the gas pedal down to "clear its throat." Sort of like when a carburated vehicle is flooded.

Try cleaning out your TB and see whether that solves the problem. If it still persists, then keep trouble shooting until you get your car running right. With gas prices so high these days, you cannot afford to have it running rich.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Ted
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tfvesquire
Hi there:

I had the same problem on my Max (98 SE) and it turned out to be a dirty butterfly valve on the TB. After thousands of miles, your TB can accumulate a lot of crap and it gets stuck on the edge of the butterfly valve and the valve itself, which does not allow it close properly. Then, when you go to start your car cold, the ECM thinks that there is too much air coming into the TB and adds more fuel, which is why you can crank and crank and the engine will never start. That is, until you press and/or hold the gas pedal down to "clear its throat." Sort of like when a carburated vehicle is flooded.

Try cleaning out your TB and see whether that solves the problem. If it still persists, then keep trouble shooting until you get your car running right. With gas prices so high these days, you cannot afford to have it running rich.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Ted
Aight good info how do I go about cleanin the throttle body though.........
Old 06-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Fuhget About It.....

its in the stickies...........
Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 AM

1. Take off the Intake Filter
2. Take off the rest of the piping upto the engine (TB)
3. Take TB Cleaner and clean the TB
Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 AM

I got the same problem I've done all of these except the fuel filter Now I gotta project for the weekend. I'll let you know what up.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
1. Take off the Intake Filter
2. Take off the rest of the piping upto the engine (TB)
3. Take TB Cleaner and clean the TB
I would recommend taking the tb all the way off. You may need a new gasket but you will get a much better clean if you take off the tb instead of shooting cleaner in it. It's easier for you since you won't have to hunch over in the engine bay, you get a better clean, and you don't risk shooting too much fluid into the engine and screwing up your plugs. Many people don't take it off but I think that's
Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 AM

Aight good stuff will test out on sunday guys
Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
I would recommend taking the tb all the way off. You may need a new gasket but you will get a much better clean if you take off the tb instead of shooting cleaner in it. It's easier for you since you won't have to hunch over in the engine bay, you get a better clean, and you don't risk shooting too much fluid into the engine and screwing up your plugs. Many people don't take it off but I think that's

Sorry not all of us are pros like you

i kid i kid
Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 AM

i have the same problem, in fact it was the worst just earlier today but sometimes it also just starts right up. it cant be my TB since i just cleaned it like 3 weeks ago. (took the whole thing off and did IACV also). It also cant be the fuel filter as also mentioned since i did that last summer putting on a 300z filter.

when my car does start tho after tapping the gas a bit, i hear high pitched squeal that lasts about a half second. I think it is one of the belts slipping for a half second before it starts catching
Old 06-21-2007, 11:36 AM

Seems like we r riding the same plane I'm gonna try the tb c if dats it then the fuel filter.... then follow up wit a full tank of gas 93 wit a fuel injector cleaner and see if dat will fix it....

Yesterday my car shut off at a stop sign and then at night when put it in park any ideas
Old 06-21-2007, 11:36 AM

could it be your starter squealing?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM

is there a how to on cleaning the fuel injectors or are you just referring to using a fuel injector cleaner you put in the tank. i did that about 3000 miles ago which was also about 6 months ago.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by heynow
could it be your starter squealing?
i thought that awhile ago and was gonna regrease my starter using the how to but i think that how to is for specifically 97-99 where as i have a 95 and i think its slightly diff. anyways i couldnt figure out how to get it out.

i was thinking it was my belt because when i replaced my water pump just a bit ago i didnt put the belt back on tight enough and it was basically the same sound. i have tightened the belt more so its good but it still squels as described and it also did it before the water pump change.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 AM

Naw my starter doesn't squeal at all I replace august of last year cuz it died...... but yea I was talkin bout the stuff u put in ur tank.... don't know if there is a write up on that....
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 AM

well the stuff you put in the tank you just dump in with a full tank. i was wondering is there a way to manually clean the fuel injectors for a better clean? sorry this is probly a noob question but i dont know too much about engines
Old 06-21-2007, 12:01 PM

sounds like a fuel filter. the TB will not make ur car shut off, but since ure at it

how is ur idle ? tell me what its at when the car is warmed up and standing at a red light ? in neutral or in gear, does it wabble when the cr is not moving ?do u hear it farting ?

take off the TB and the IACV, clean them both, replace both gaskets, replace the fuel filter while the IACV is off, its a lot easier that way, get urself a 1996 300z TT fuel filter.

see where that leads you,

filling up with 93 will not make the car NOT shut off, and that fuel injector cleaner stuff is dog **** in a bottle
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
Sorry not all of us are pros like you

i kid i kid
haha yea ok.

My other thought is that your injectors are clogged. I would take them out and look at them. Might need to clean them. If you clean them you can take them out and soak them in cleaner overnight, or there are other ways. That may be your problem. I would assume your filter is not the problem and the tb probably isn't but good be. If it's real dirty that is.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:39 PM

Well the idle doesn't seem to be an issue I check for that and it seemed at normall well any1 have a pic of where the fuel filter is and is there a right up on how to get the injectors out and how to clean the iacv and do they take enormous amounts of work to get off or sumtin that newbie to engines can do.....
Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM

OMG -- not again -- look man, u made like 3 threads today right , and in everyone of them people pointed u to the stickies. i think its time to check out the stickies

have u looked at the stickies yet ? do u know where the stickies are ?

also what i find usefull (if u have patience to do it like 3 times) is the awesome FREE search at the top of the page, yeah man amazing aint it ? u can just type "IACV CLEANING" into the search and it will give u like 100 threads u can read and learn from. Oh and if u dont like the results then search for a slightly different phrase, like TB AND IACV, or IACV IDLE, or TB CLEANING, then u get like 1000 threads and u look through them, i bet u can find something there.

honestly i dont mind positing pictures and explanations from when i did this on my car, but im kinda tired repeating myself over and over, and, besides this is all in the stickies. yeah the stickies are not perfect but the stickies contain a lot of useful links and information. Its like a hayens manual or the FSM u got those? yeah those are just like the stickies or the free search which u CAN use. so unless u have questions that are not in the stickies, we would all be very glad to answer them.

sticky is ur friend -- did i say sticky too many times ? good God, but thats called repetitive advertising!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM

All the 300zx filters are the same..there is NO difference between the N/A filter and TT filter, and no difference between the 1990-1996 version.

First of all i purchased a filter, and on the box it showed 90-96 300ZX VG30DE/TT

Second on FAST it shows the same P/N for all the Z32's 16400-N7605

to the OP..the answer you are looking for has been stated SEVERAL times. look in the stickies they are on the top of the page
Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by brandnew
Well the idle doesn't seem to be an issue I check for that and it seemed at normall well any1 have a pic of where the fuel filter is and is there a right up on how to get the injectors out and how to clean the iacv and do they take enormous amounts of work to get off or sumtin that newbie to engines can do.....
injectors come out fairly easily in the front. The back ones are under the IM so you need to take that off. Check the ones up front first since you're having start issues. But IMO, the best thing to do is go ahead and research, and buy manuals and all and start doing work by yourself. This way you start to learn on your own.. The only way to learn is do it IMO.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM

the only reason i was specific to the 96 TT 300z filter is because if i just said: " get urself a 300z filter" he would most likely ask what year and what type.

so its like killing two birds with one shot
Old 06-21-2007, 08:36 PM
dko
duck and cover

i don't see that anyone posted a direct link, but the best write up is on motorvate.ca

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/517
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/518
Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

Maybe someone swapped in a carbeurator??

Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by LILMAN
I got the same problem I've done all of these except the fuel filter Now I gotta project for the weekend. I'll let you know what up.
If it takes you the weekend definately let us know
kidding
like stated this could be WAY TOO many things, any codes? have you checked ?
little more info i think neccesary, otherwise we're just stabbin in the dark. Clean the TB anyways though if you dont know how to do it it probably hasnt been done in a while.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starting problem

Originally Posted by Cdg2125

I cleaned my TB by shooting cleaning fluid in to it and it solved my cold starting. However, now I have a problem starting at any tempature. It actually has a delay when I crank the car. It takes me a couple of times or for me to accelarate to start it. I also noticed that at a red light it feel it skeeping slightly or missing a spark. Could I have screewed up the plugs or the dirt from the TB screewed up something else? Please advise any help is appreciate.

FYI - I have read most of the sticky's on this...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by mgarcia
I cleaned my TB by shooting cleaning fluid in to it and it solved my cold starting. However, now I have a problem starting at any tempature. It actually has a delay when I crank the car. It takes me a couple of times or for me to accelarate to start it. I also noticed that at a red light it feel it skeeping slightly or missing a spark. Could I have screewed up the plugs or the dirt from the TB screewed up something else? Please advise any help is appreciate.

did you check the plugs before asking?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Plugs

This just happened tonight. I jsut wondering if this was possible or could it be the knock sensor?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 PM

This just happened tonight. I jsut wondering if this was possible or could it be the knock sensor?
well it was hard to tell what was actually happening in your post. It seems like it's slow on acceleration, doesn't start up, and it's skipping? I don't know. Yes you could have screwed up the plugs. It's still the same as I said, you should check the plugs then you could narrow things down. If they arn't black then there could be a different problem.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
OMG -- not again -- look man, u made like 3 threads today right , and in everyone of them people pointed u to the stickies. i think its time to check out the stickies
I agree w/cdg2125 and tfvesquire^^ clean your throttle body, check the stickies they should b your best friend. By the way you said you had to press your pedal, I may be going a little far with saying this but a year ago I read in one of the threads that some guys did some adjusting to their TPS and if I remember correctly they had a similar issue with pedal. It should be in the mechanicals sticky.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 PM

When u cleaned your TB did you take care in avoiding the small hole that lines up with the butterfly, if you pushed dirt into it- take of the vacuum hose and clean it (connection nipple and hose if blocked), if I remember correctly this hose leads to a sensor-Did you check for codes.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by brandnew
Seems like we r riding the same plane I'm gonna try the tb c if dats it then the fuel filter.... then follow up wit a full tank of gas 93 wit a fuel injector cleaner and see if dat will fix it....

Yesterday my car shut off at a stop sign and then at night when put it in park any ideas
Could be the MAF sensor? Mine did the same thing. I went and got another one and all that stopped but the hesitation on starting still happens.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 AM

Yea could be the MAF sensor. i think i posted that before in here or i might have seen a similar post. its common when you hear a problem like this.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 AM

I had the same problem on my car. After checking for spark, fuel pressure I noticed the TB was ridiculously dirty. I removed the Tb and gave it a nice cleaning along with a fuel injector service and it was running smooooth again. Good Luck