4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

!!!! HOW do U know if ur starter and alternator are goin bad?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:33 PM

!!!! HOW do U know if ur starter and alternator are goin bad?

This is the situation (ecuse the typing cuz I'm on a sidekick) every morning or after a long period of no starting... my car is hard to start.... my car will crank and crank... after a while just to get it 2 start I have 2 pump the gas and now sumtimes that is takin a couple of times to work! Also I have a remote start on the car and recenlty had to pull the fuse because I tried to start the car and it wouldn't. It was actin like the starter had died but when I pulled the fuse the car turned over but after a couple of times....

It seems like by the day its gettin worse so I dunno what is exactly wrong but u guyz think its my starter or alternator or both???

What u guyz think I should do? Or what is wrong the remote start is still disabled and it is a viper xv 791....

Appreciate the help sorry if the typin is a lil messed up
Old 07-30-2007, 12:41 PM

For sum reason I can't edit but I forgot to add that when it does start the rpm thing dips a lot up and down almost under 500 rpms then it gets steady untill warm up
Old 07-30-2007, 01:06 PM

starter goes bad when... well, if ur car doesn't start. tap on the solenoid to see it if works, just for temperary.

alternator is what keeps ur car running.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Bump for any otha ideas?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 PM

my starter just didnt do anything either. No lag...nothing. My battery was fine, so it had to be the starter. The wires were loose where my starter was. Just have to tighten them. Did you see if they were loose? I hate being a newbie to cars. I am just relating your problem with the one i had. I dunno about your alternator babe, i never had problems with mine...yet. :[ Good luck love <3
Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 PM
il massimi bassi

your max sounds like it needs a good tuneup. Replace your spark plugs, clean the throttle body and look for metal shavings on your CPS. A properly tuned nissan starts without the gas being applied withing 3 seconds...... the fact that the car is cranking but not starting rules out the starter
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Any CEL's/SES lights? Sounds like a CPS problem.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:17 PM

replace ur starter its going to leave you stranded. My max use to do that and i always thought it was something else, till one day the starter just took a **** on me. I replaced it and never had the problem again.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 PM

i dont know if the starter is your problem but i have one for sale since i totalled my car. pm me interested.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 PM

IF your alternator was bad or dead or disconnected it will still start and still run just fine. It is just not good for the car and battery. I remember the time when I my belt ripped off from my bad AC clutch and my battery light came on but the car still started and drove just fine for a few miles until I got another belt on it.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Battery get's my vote.......
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
maxima985spd

Chris, call me this week so we can meet up and I will check your car out.

Aaron

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM

same problem

u know, I've got the same problem. It cranks but the engine doesn't turn over. I went to auto zone and they told me my starter was bad, so i replaced it, and it started ok for a couple days, but then it started doing it again. I've replaced the ignition switch, plugs, and given it somewhat of a tune-up (no belts) and it still won't start right up.
I know I have a bad knock sensor, which I tried replacing, the dumb way (remove whole intake manifold), until I realized it would be easier to get an extension and adapter and try to hit it from an angle, but I ran out of daylight and will have to try later. Anyways, I wouldn't think that is the problem. That was the only code I got last time i checked.
I didn't think it was my battery, since I have a yellowtop and once the car starts my electrical system is fine and I run a decent system, but yesterday something happened that makes me wonder about it. the radio was hiccuping whenever I raised the volume, which hadn't happened before, but it's worth checking out. If it's not that, I'm not sure what it could be either, keep the suggestions coming
Old 07-30-2007, 09:07 PM

if it's the alternator, it would be much easier to tell. A bad alternator will either not charge your battery at all, which means your car will drive just fine until your battery is completely drained or your car has to be restarted then it won't start at all, or will charge your battery at very high strain or load, but this should be evident if you're running a system and try to raise the volume and get denied by your car. a bad alternator is not very subtle
Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Well I changed the starter b4 around august time of last year cuz it died the problem didn't stop it still took a while to crank but I never had to push the gas to get it started like now.....

Yo aaron what's up wit like sunday or saturday afternoon trying to figure this out while we fix the tail lights the car can sit... so u can c what I'm talkin
Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 AM

brake light and battery light on means something with the charging system. my belt came off and those lights were on the whole time.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 AM

I would vote plugs, or injectors. Giving it gas? putting more through the injectors = starts. Just using logic.

My alty went bad with the brake and battery light randomly on/flickering.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For the alternator, an easy way to check is to just take it to checkers, or the nearest similar auto store.
They'll test it for free.

It took me around 5 minutes to take off, and you dont have to be mechanically inclined at all. Easier than an oil change. (On a supra anyway)
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

TRY THIS BEFORE YOU SPEND MONEY ON STARTER.....clean the throttle body and both sides of the plate with carb cleaner... use a toothbrush and really get way in there....Seriously!... I have 214,000 miles on my I30,, ive had to do this 5 times... If the starter is bad it will just die and do nothing,,not gonna give you weeks of warning,,,,Hope this helps.. Now wait till you hear my problem,,just occured,...post to follow.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

first post... but been wrenching on imports for a long time.

you are confusing engine not starting properly with your starter motor and/or alternator not working.

if your starter is cranking over engine at normal speed, then starter is functioning correctly. this also indicates battery is charged enough to crank the starter motor. which indicates your alternator is charging battery back up after repeatedly excessive use of starter motor.

this excessive cranking is hard on starter motor and alternator.
you need to find out why engine is so hard to start.

first place to start is to pull normal maintenance. do a tune up, including replacing fuel injection filter. a solidly clogged up air filter can cause all sorts of problems. get the easy stuff out of the way.

if that doesn't fix it, then probably best to take it to a mechanic for a diagnoses.

Originally Posted by brandnew
This is the situation (ecuse the typing cuz I'm on a sidekick) every morning or after a long period of no starting... my car is hard to start.... my car will crank and crank... after a while just to get it 2 start I have 2 pump the gas and now sumtimes that is takin a couple of times to work! Also I have a remote start on the car and recenlty had to pull the fuse because I tried to start the car and it wouldn't. It was actin like the starter had died but when I pulled the fuse the car turned over but after a couple of times....

It seems like by the day its gettin worse so I dunno what is exactly wrong but u guyz think its my starter or alternator or both???

What u guyz think I should do? Or what is wrong the remote start is still disabled and it is a viper xv 791....

Appreciate the help sorry if the typin is a lil messed up
Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 AM

my engine almost always takes 5-10 seconds to start up. It cranks fine, but takes forever to actually run. It's not the battery for sure. It's been doing this since about...spring 2003!