Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

cons of using fuel system cleaner too much?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
VIP Maxima

cons of using fuel system cleaner too much?

i ordered a one gallon bottle of lucas fuel system cleaner and by accident they sent me two. now this is good for 49 fill ups. they recommend a treatment every 3k miles which translates to a 12 year supply. so i was thinking maybe i should dump a treatment at every fill up which would last me two years. is there a downside to doing this? i drive 80% city driving and always use shell or chevron 91 octane (highest offered in CA). they say too much of anything is bad so i was wondering if there are any downsides of using a treatment at every fill up ??

Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 PM

It will not hurt a thing. A couple of ounces in 12-14 gallons of gas it gets watered down. You could even double the recomend dose and still be ok.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM

There have been unconfirmed reports that using a heavy dose of fuel injector cleaner will increase the viscosity of the motor oil in that engine. Note that I say this has not been fully proved, but is a concern that should be watched. Therefore, I only do a fuel system clean treatment about 500 miles before I plan to change the motor oil. I was changing my oil every 7,500 miles (Nissan's maximum recommended OCI), but will be going to 10,000 miles with my next change (the powertrain warranty expired when my Max hit 60 K miles) because I used Mobil 1 and a good quality oil filter and will also get a lab test of this first longer OCI change.

I have no eperience with Lucas -- I only use Chevron's Techron. But I find that this schedule of treatments is sufficient for me. How do I know? Well, I've not taken the engine apart, but don't seem to be getting any knocking from engine deposits when burning regular grade gasoline all of the time.

Final point: All brands of gasoline must contain a minumum amount of fuel injector cleaner -- not enough in my opinion, but it is there. If you do put some of the Lucas in your gas at each fill-up, you should probably minimize the volume.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
STFU n00b!

Remember those are often pretty harsh chemicals in that stuff. don't use it too often or you can risk eating away the brass on the precisely machined orifices and such. seen it happen before..

My recommendation is to sell the other bottle to someone.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 PM
VIP Maxima

its not worth selling it because shipping is going to cost as much as the darn thing. lucas recommends a 5.25oz portion for a 25 gallon tank. i guess ill just use it once every other fill up.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM

why dont u try selling locally, people you know, or even craigslist ? not shipping it to someone.

its a good idea Matt93SE
Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 PM
VIP Maxima

not worth the trouble for $20

Old 08-10-2007, 05:50 AM
sky jumper

this particular product does not contain solvents. it is also known as UCL (upper cylinder lube). its primary function is to lubricate fuel pumps, fuel injectors, and the valves, etc. it is also supposed to clean, but I'm not sure how much cleaning it can do without solvents.

using the recommended dosage every fill up is probably fine. you could also share it with family/friends.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 AM
VIP Maxima

A powerful blend of oils and additives that contain no SOLVENTS. Designed to increase power and fuel mileage and also lower exhaust emissions through a more complete combustion.

Lucas Fuel Treatment is formulated for both gasoline and diesel engines, carbureted or fuel injected. It gives your fuel system what it really needs - a blend of super slick oils and additives with a high detergent action that allows the engine to operate at maximum efficiency. Also, it cleans and lubricates the carburetor and injectors and causes the fuel to burn more thoroughly for increased power and less fuel consumption. Lucas Fuel Treatment should definitely be used in vehicles that require leaded fuel because it actually replaces the benefits of lead in gasoline without causing harmful emissions. Use it to pass smog tests. Finally, it totally neutralizes the harmful effects of low sulfur diesel fuel.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Give it to me. Problem solved.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 AM

I wouldn't use that product every fillup even if someone paid me to do it.

Sell the 2nd bottle and use it every 3,000 miles at the most.

However, I personally would only use it just before every oil change.

Your car has gone this long without that dosage.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:09 AM

There are times when Bobo and I don't agree -- but I certainly agree with his advice above.

This product is for both gasoline and diesel engines ?? I'm a little suspicious.

More information on one point made in the detailed quote, above. Many people did not realize that lead in leaded gasoline provideed a lubricating effect. When lead was removed from all gasolines, vehicle makers had to increase the hardness of engine valves to help compensate for the lack of lead lubrication. With newer engines, this lubrication (IMHO) is no longer needed.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 AM

Lucas UCL is perfectly safe to use in every fill up at the recommended dosage of 3 oz/10 gals fuel. This is not a "powerful" cleaner like Techron or Regane. It's primary purpose is to lubricate upper cylinders, fuel pumps, and fuel injectors. It's cleaning ability is very small. It is much more effective in preventing deposits than cleaning them.
I have been using it routinely for years in two different Nissans. I have also tracked my mileage in a spreadhseet for many years in both vehicles. I have a very consistent trend of better mileage with Lucas UCL (and even MMO) than without. In my case, the mileage improvement easily pays for the Lucas treatments. An added benefit is my engine is quieter and smoother at idle than without it.
I carry two of the 5.25 oz Lucas bottles in my trunk, with approx 4 oz Lucas in each. I refill them from the gallon at home. My 4 oz in a bottle will treat my usual fill up of approx 13-13.5 gallons. I have found that increasing the dosage does not increase the results. And when doubling the dose, the results actually decline slightly.
If you need more information, check out bobistheoilguy.com forums. Plenty of info about it on there.

Dave
Old 08-30-2007, 06:05 AM
wants an I35

remember these cleaners are acetone based liquids. they are corrosive by nature. too much of this CAN damage your seals/hoses. use it sparingly, and only do the additive thing once per oil change (preferably right before you change the filter as well)_
Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
sky jumper

Originally Posted by ROCKART
remember these cleaners are acetone based liquids. they are corrosive by nature. too much of this CAN damage your seals/hoses. use it sparingly, and only do the additive thing once per oil change (preferably right before you change the filter as well)_
no, lucas does not contain acetone at all.

its main ingredient is "petroleum hydrocarbon" which is another term for mineral oil - and that is exactly what lucas claims the product to be: a 40wt mineral oil with a stiff dose of additives & detergents (just like motor oil), and no solvents (acetone is a strong solvent). hence the term UCL, or "upper cylinder lube".

Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM

might i ask where one can get a bottle for $20
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
VIP Maxima

summitracing.com

Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've been running this stuff every tank for over a year now. No problems, only makes my engine run smoother.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
Lucas UCL is perfectly safe to use in every fill up at the recommended dosage of 3 oz/10 gals fuel. This is not a "powerful" cleaner like Techron or Regane. It's primary purpose is to lubricate upper cylinders, fuel pumps, and fuel injectors. It's cleaning ability is very small. It is much more effective in preventing deposits than cleaning them.
I have been using it routinely for years in two different Nissans. I have also tracked my mileage in a spreadhseet for many years in both vehicles. I have a very consistent trend of better mileage with Lucas UCL (and even MMO) than without. In my case, the mileage improvement easily pays for the Lucas treatments. An added benefit is my engine is quieter and smoother at idle than without it.
I carry two of the 5.25 oz Lucas bottles in my trunk, with approx 4 oz Lucas in each. I refill them from the gallon at home. My 4 oz in a bottle will treat my usual fill up of approx 13-13.5 gallons. I have found that increasing the dosage does not increase the results. And when doubling the dose, the results actually decline slightly.
If you need more information, check out bobistheoilguy.com forums. Plenty of info about it on there.

Dave
I totally agree......I have been using this in every fill up for the last year now......get better MPG's and car runs much smoother.....(did not use with one fill-up and dropped MPG on trip computer and noticed car ran a bit rough....put back in on next fill-up...came back)....good stuff

This in combination with premium gas and the yearly seafoam treatment has kept the engine running smooth as butter...
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM

it will get so diluted with the gas you wont notice it at all
Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
i ordered a one gallon bottle of lucas fuel system cleaner and by accident they sent me two. now this is good for 49 fill ups. they recommend a treatment every 3k miles which translates to a 12 year supply. so i was thinking maybe i should dump a treatment at every fill up which would last me two years. is there a downside to doing this? i drive 80% city driving and always use shell or chevron 91 octane (highest offered in CA). they say too much of anything is bad so i was wondering if there are any downsides of using a treatment at every fill up ??

Have you sold they other bottle or have I been lucky enough for you to still have it?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MetalBlueMaxx
I've been running this stuff every tank for over a year now. No problems, only makes my engine run smoother.
I agree I tried to go from oil change to oil change and the car didn't aidle the same or sound as smooth.