3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

trannys

Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 PM

trannys

My tranny is slipping into 3rd gear[every now and then] so im looking for a rebuild. My uncle is in the buisness where he buys/sells junkies for scraps and such.
but.
What other trannys would fit our cars? engine wise[of course]. It is true our trannys come from a 4cyl stanza, right??? ugh.
Lol.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:19 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Here are your options...

1.Have your current transmission rebuilt<---best option IMO..

2.Swap your automatic for a 5 speed manual,this swap is very requires some semi-major modifications on your part to get it to fit and work correctly.(not your average shade tree mechanic job)

3.Swap your bad trans for a new/rebuilt unit(expensive) or a used unit,<--this option may leave you in the same boat due to not knowing if the used trans is in good working order prior to swapping..

4.buy another car...

All the options listed are going to be expensive,so it's up to you which one you want to do..
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hope its the same tranny as a 4 cyl Stanza because I just picked up a freshly rebuilt Stanza tranny for 300. It might be a while before I attempt the install so Im not sure what needs swapping etc. but Ill let you know once I do, unless you beat me to it. I think the mounts might be different and speed sensor???? Im just going to pull my old one and put them side by side and play swap the pieces. Wish me luck. Anyone in Portland, Or. area wanting to help?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by Reizy
I hope its the same tranny as a 4 cyl Stanza because I just picked up a freshly rebuilt Stanza tranny for 300. It might be a while before I attempt the install so Im not sure what needs swapping etc. but Ill let you know once I do, unless you beat me to it. I think the mounts might be different and speed sensor???? Im just going to pull my old one and put them side by side and play swap the pieces. Wish me luck. Anyone in Portland, Or. area wanting to help?
Bell housing bolt pattern is different on the 4 cylinder.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Oops. Anyone want a Stanza tranny?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Alex_V

doesnt mean you cant put the stanza parts in your maxima housing. Or just swapping the passenger half of the transmission housing.

~Alex

Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 AM

Well in my search for a new tranny I only found the Stanza tranny (which I guess you need to swap the bell housing) and the Max tranny.

This is what I found on one site:
Nissan RE4F02A for 86-94 3.0L Nissan MAXIMA
Nissan RE4F02A for 90-on 2.0L Nissan STANZA

While on another I found:
MAXIMA 89-94 4 SP FWD V6 3.0L RE4F02A SOHC ENGINE
STANZA 90-92 4 SP FWD L4 2.4L RE4F02A

Im assuming you are reffering to your 90. I think its a different tranny for the 92-94 SE.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Alex_V

Yes the 92-94 SE's transmission is a stronger/different design. That goes for manuals and auto's.

I should have clarified that only the 89-94 SOHC (VG30E) shares the stanza's (2.4L K24E) transmission. Thats 89-91 SE and GXE and 92-94 GXE can use that tranny.

~Alex

Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I could get a used M/T R55F50A that plan to put in my 89 GXE with the A/T also slipping in 3rd gear, but the guy helping me with this project warned me about the almost impossible way to install the clutch master cylinder and the pedal bracket unless you dismant the hole car. Have anybody gone through this?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Ok,Here is my theory on the stanza/maxima transmissions..

They should be identical transmissions even down to the bell housing,simply due to having the exact same part #'s,and being manufactured during the same years..

If you think about it,the part#'s are the same,so if they were actually different transmissions,then how could nissan distinguish between the two?

Anyhoo,here are some pictures that might help you in match the stanza tranmission to the vg30 mounting points...

Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Alex_V

I have noticed on the transmissions there are some un-used bolt holes, on the auto's and manuals.

But on the same note, there are 240sx guys paying $1000-1500 for a mount kit to adapt a 300zx 5 speed to their KA's. Ive seen pics of it and it requires alot of machining and the bolt patterns don't seem close.

Keko- Manual swaps aren't that bad at all. Its all in the stickies. The pedal goes in the auto cars just like the manual cars, theres nothing in the way except some sound deadening that pulls out and 3 missing holes you drill. Every thing else bolts in.

~Alex

Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alex, thanks, I'll go there and start doing my homework
Old 08-19-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Sorry, not trying to jack a thread but I thought that I would clear up some confusion for future reference. oldngivout ^^^ was right. The bell housings are different. There is no cut out in the Stanza for the starter and a few other differences. I got pics on my buddies camera, dont give me that worthless without pics stuff. Ill post them soon if people want to see. As for MyGreenMax's theory (below), I thought the same thing. But I guess Ill be swapping bell housings. Im just waiting on some stuff from DaveB and hopefully will be back on the road soon, if all goes well. Ive been driving my 5.5 gen SE but I really miss the 3rd gen.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Ok,Here is my theory on the stanza/maxima transmissions..

They should be identical transmissions even down to the bell housing,simply due to having the exact same part #'s,and being manufactured during the same years..

If you think about it,the part#'s are the same,so if they were actually different transmissions,then how could nissan distinguish between the two?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Reizy
Sorry, not trying to jack a thread but I thought that I would clear up some confusion for future reference. oldngivout ^^^ was right. The bell housings are different. There is no cut out in the Stanza for the starter and a few other differences. I got pics on my buddies camera, dont give me that worthless without pics stuff. Ill post them soon if people want to see. As for MyGreenMax's theory (below), I thought the same thing. But I guess Ill be swapping bell housings. Im just waiting on some stuff from DaveB and hopefully will be back on the road soon, if all goes well. Ive been driving my 5.5 gen SE but I really miss the 3rd gen.

Yes,please post pics.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Willing to learn

Just so you know, there are internal differences as well between the KA & VG trannies. I work with a guy who is very familiar with rebuilding these units. He claims the Stanza has smaller planetary gearsets, or something like that. I have no picture proof, just repeating a reliable source. There must be a reason the Maxima versions fail so often, and it appears it is because they are merely upgraded Stanza trannies.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

Maxima auto transmissions have a higher gear shift point then the nissan stanza. where the stanza shifts around proll 5 or 5.5 grand. the maxima transmission depending on the year shifts at around 6-6.5 (89-91) gxe's and se's) to around 6.5-7 grand (92-94 gxe's and se's).all internals within the the Stanza transmission and maxima transmissions are different Stanza transmissions do not require as strong of internal parts as the Maxima transmissions do. because the KA24E does not produce as much horse power or torque as the VG30E or VE30DE makes.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
Maxima auto transmissions have a higher gear shift point then the nissan stanza. where the stanza shifts around proll 5 or 5.5 grand. the maxima transmission depending on the year shifts at around 6-6.5 (89-91) gxe's and se's) to around 6.5-7 grand (92-94 gxe's and se's) ......................
You sure? - Not trying to start an argument but what's the purpose of the TCU then?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Alex_V

Maxima auto transmissions have a higher gear shift point then the nissan stanza. where the stanza shifts around proll 5 or 5.5 grand. the maxima transmission depending on the year shifts at around 6-6.5 (89-91) gxe's and se's) to around 6.5-7 grand (92-94 gxe's and se's).all internals within the the Stanza transmission and maxima transmissions are different Stanza transmissions do not require as strong of internal parts as the Maxima transmissions do. because the KA24E does not produce as much horse power or torque as the VG30E or VE30DE makes.
you must be talking about maximum shift points, as no auto i know of always shifts at those rpms.

~Alex

Old 08-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

i am talkin about maximum red line points only when someone is pedal to the metal to wrap out each gear.

Question not to **** anyone off or make argument but how many of you all have took the automotive course on automatic transmissions?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM
LvR

i am talkin about maximum red line points only when someone is pedal to the metal to wrap out each gear.

Question not to **** anyone off or make argument but how many of you all have took the automotive course on automatic transmissions?
the automotive course on automatic transmissions

To make an argument out of it then:

If you have been to such a "course" then you must have been absent for a while or they didn't give you a full course or sure as hell only taught you the very basics of it all ito a mechanically controlled auto box.

Simple fact is this:

Any and all gears and other mechanical components found inside any auto box is quite able to handle just about any input rev range of any current Nissan motor on a production car - so what the hell does "pedal to the metal" have to do with any of this when the TCU is in absolute control of shifting points on all Maxima autos?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Banned

look at this ******* once more doing the very same thing as before. you know i really dont appreciate you attacking me this time around for just saying my part as i didnt attack you old fart *** nor did i mean to attack you in any way. and also to answer your question in my automotive automatic transmission course we learn how to take apart rebuild and understand the flow of hyrdolic pressure. and we did more work on learning about the turbo 350 and turbo 400 and the 700r4 transmission for trucks and american cars then learning about import transmissons. More then likely you cant tear down and rebuild an automatic transmission and know for a fact that your transmission will work after you have rebuilt it unlike i who knows if i do so it will work.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 PM
LvR

look at this ******* once more doing the very same thing as before. you know i really dont appreciate you attacking me this time around for just saying my part as i didnt attack you old fart *** nor did i mean to attack you in any way. and also to answer your question in my automotive automatic transmission course we learn how to take apart rebuild and understand the flow of hyrdolic pressure. and we did more work on learning about the turbo 350 and turbo 400 and the 700r4 transmission for trucks and american cars then learning about import transmissons. More then likely you cant tear down and rebuild an automatic transmission and know for a fact that your transmission will work after you have rebuilt it unlike i who knows if i do so it will work.
My point exactly.

Making intelligent noises like "hydraulic pressure" etc will get you nowhere when talking in generalities.

Get specific and talk Maxima/Stanza electronically controlled autos - not ancient dinosaurs like the turbo 350 and 400s.

As far as "old fart" goes - yep - you may be right about that - but I am able to still crap nicely on your "current" generation Maxima auto knowledge all the same.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Banned

just because i mentioned that i did those didnt mean i didnt work on electronically controlled transaxles in college we did also rebuild a few of those as well and let me tell you there is alot more involved in a transaxle then in transmission. for such a small space in a front wheel drive car their is alot of parts within those small spaces. Have you ever disassembled a transaxle or transmission LvR? if not the STFU
Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 PM
LvR

just because i mentioned that i did those didnt mean i didnt work on electronically controlled transaxles in college we did also rebuild a few of those as well and let me tell you there is alot more involved in a transaxle then in transmission. for such a small space in a front wheel drive car their is alot of parts within those small spaces. Have you ever disassembled a transaxle or transmission LvR? if not the STFU
Yes I have - many - but that is not the point.

If you have a relevant point make it - I am keen to learn from others' experience.

Your first post here does not make sense at all - that is the point.

Now if you can explain the relevance of it to the thread topic while keeping in mind and addressing the fact that shift points on the Maxima/Stanza autos are electronically controlled, you sure don't need my permission to post your experience and even enlighten an old fart like me.

So - till you make sense, STFU is not an option here.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

what i was meaning which i did not add to that post was that the Stanza has a lower shift point in MPH to what the Maxima has. Ask any 240sx or Altima owns or even Stanza owners and they will tell you that there cars can not and do not go up as high in MPH as the Maxima does. I know this as i go to college with a buddy of mine with two 240sx's and another two one with a Sentra and another with an Altima and they all tell me that there cars can not go as high in rpm's to MPH then the Maxima. Plantary grears within the transaxle vary from model to model.

And yes i know the 240sx and the Altima does not have the same transmission as the Maxima and Stanza share.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 AM

OK. Tell me this, what is the point of the two cars having the same part number if the trannys are completely different? They cant have the same part number as a whole but have different internals. I understand that the bell housing might not be a piece included with the RE4F02A part but why would they have different internals with the same part number? I thought that RE4F02A referred to the whole unit. Like if I ordered the RE4F02A from Nissan that it would be the same no matter if it went on a Stanza or a Max. It just might not include a bell housing. Ill find out the whole story in about 12 hours. Im fortunate to live within driving distance of http://www.txchange.com/main.htm (and no, Im not driving 12 hours. i gotta get some sleep and they are closed at 1 AM) I need to go and pick up some parts later today.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:45 AM
LvR

what i was meaning which i did not add to that post was that the Stanza has a lower shift point in MPH to what the Maxima has. Ask any 240sx or Altima owns or even Stanza owners and they will tell you that there cars can not and do not go up as high in MPH as the Maxima does. I know this as i go to college with a buddy of mine with two 240sx's and another two one with a Sentra and another with an Altima and they all tell me that there cars can not go as high in rpm's to MPH then the Maxima. Plantary grears within the transaxle vary from model to model.

And yes i know the 240sx and the Altima does not have the same transmission as the Maxima and Stanza share.
I still am not getting it in that case. Your logic would then dictate that because the shift "vehicle speed" differs between the Stanza and Maxima (fact?) the BOX must be responsible by way of differing overall gearing ratios?

I don't doubt for a minute that its possible that some differences may exist in overall gearing between the two but as I said before - the TCU controls the shift points not the box's design.

Now I have never had the misfortune to have a stripped RE4F02A ex a Stanza and a Maxima on the bench in order to do a direct comparison, but as Reizy says - why would Nissan sell the same part numbered box for both cars .............................. if that fact alone turns out to be the truth, then I suspect the difference in shift "road speed" points (if really actually present) are as a result of the TCU and the difference in the rolling circumference of the vehicle's wheels.

I guess the next few hours will bring an answer from Reizy - one that myself as an auto VG owner with 300000km on the original auto box will be really interested in.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:16 PM

Damn it! I didnt find a definitive answer. I couldnt find the gasket local so its coming from DaveB. But I did talk to many people and got mixed reviews just like above. DaveB compared a few of the major parts from the two and said that they appear to be the same and that I shouldnt have a problem. Im too far in it now to stop so we'll see after I get my gasket. Stay tuned. Does anyone have the parts fiche or FSM for the 90 Stanza? That might help.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
LvR

2 1/4" and 3 1/4" axle seals mentioned here for the same RE4F02A part number - wonder what else is different then.....................
Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 AM
No turbo, no care!

Someone should look into the Nissan Quest/ Mercury Villager transmissions. They clearly bolt up to the VG and are much stronger than the maxima trans.

RE4F04A - Quest
4F20E - Villager
Old 08-22-2007, 11:31 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Someone should look into the Nissan Quest/ Mercury Villager transmissions. They clearly bolt up to the VG and are much stronger than the maxima trans.

RE4F04A - Quest
4F20E - Villager
RE4F04A = VE w/o LSD trans
I wonder on the flywheel and starter mounting...
The quest uses the VE A/T starter.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar

Hmmmmm......

I might do a little j-yard research on the flexplate,it is the key part that prevents the ve auto from being used on the vg maxima engine..
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
No turbo, no care!

Is it possible that there is some other internal differences like larger bearings or larger gears? The quest is quite a bit heavier than the maxima and had an optional towing package.

What do you know about the Villager trans? It seems to be one tough cookie, my neighbor just sold his villager with 220K and it never needed a rebuild on the trans. My villager has 193K with no rebuild on the trans and it still shifts perfect.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM
mod or sell?

same as the VE trans internally
http://www.transtarindustries.com/ca...oad.asp?ID=359
the VE has more HP and torque than the quest does.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 PM
No turbo, no care!

same as the VE trans internally
http://www.transtarindustries.com/ca...oad.asp?ID=359
the VE has more HP and torque than the quest does.
Well the VE has more torque than the 3.0 VG, but the 3.3 has more torque than the VE. Thats on top of the extra weight.

Do you have any info on the 4F20E? Most interesting would be the weight of it VS the RE4F04A.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 AM
mod or sell?

4f20E is just the ford ID for the RE4F04x
the RE4f04 was used on the VQ30DEK as well, it is a completely capable transmission.
it's strong enough to handle most reasonable abuse as long as it is maintained which is something people rarely do with a transmission.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:22 PM

I came across a parts list and it appears as if the internals are different for the Max and Stanza RE4F02A. So oldngivout had heard right. Im not exactly sure about the internals of an auto trans so Ill be leaving this to the pros. Hopefully I can sell the Stanza trans for what I paid and have my old tranny rebuilt for a reasonable price. It is out of the car at least. Who knows what the differences in the parts listed will make? http://www.shinseiauto.com/japanese/...tre4f02a04.pdf I mean clutch plates and such. Does that affect final drive ratio? I still find it strange that Nissan can package different guts with the same part number. Oh well, case closed???
Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 PM
mod or sell?

clutch plates affect the torque holding ability of the trans.
the more plates the higher the torque capacity.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Well the VE has more torque than the 3.0 VG, but the 3.3 has more torque than the VE. Thats on top of the extra weight.

Do you have any info on the 4F20E? Most interesting would be the weight of it VS the RE4F04A.
but isn't the more rapid build of torque (at 2800RPM instead of... high RPM) in the VG more damaging to the tranny if you get hard on the gas from a dead stop? Maybe that's half the problem with the VG autos then, because our torque shows up really fast and snaps stress onto the clutch packs and whatnot.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 PM

im interested in the Quest/Villager trannys. My dad has a Quest and it seems to have a lot of problems but the tranny seems good. :]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trannys