Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 01-28-2003, 03:10 PM   #1

NGK Copper Spark Plugs

About a week ago I bought some Autolite Double platinum spark plugs for my '96 GXE. After discussing this with some of you, I found out (the hard way), that my car needs the NGK's. My car started having rough idle this past weekend. So, I replaced those Autolites with some Copper NGK (BKR5E-11).

Anyway, to make a long story short -- the car's rough idle went away--so far. May have been the Autolites, maybe not... who knows? At least, now I feel better that I have those NGK's

Also, I noticed that some of you believe that the stock platinum NGK's are worth the extra money. Well, I emailed NGK prior to buying the copper's and this is the email they sent back:

"All NGK spark plugs have copper cores or nickel cores. The platinum and iridium are used on the firing ends for longevity not in the core of the spark plug. The BKR5E-11 has a copper core, however the firing end uses nickel alloy rather then precious metals. The longevity will be less and the ignitability won't be as good as the fine wire platinum and iridium spark plugs."

NGK Technical Customer Service Representative

Name of this NGK person has been withheld for privacy reasons.

Anyway, I thought I would share this email with you all as I thought it said a lot. It should make some of you mad (those that spent the extra doe on Platinums) and it may make others of you sad (for the others who bought the platinums)
jam4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
Sin

Send a message via ICQ to Sin Send a message via Yahoo to Sin
Re: NGK Copper Spark Plugs

" The BKR5E-11 has a copper core, however the firing end uses nickel alloy rather then precious metals. The longevity will be less and the ignitability won't be as good as the fine wire platinum and iridium spark plugs."

It should make some of you mad (those that spent the extra doe on Platinums) and it may make others of you sad (for the others who bought the platinums)"

Why would it make others sad\? As you just quoted, there are benefits to having the platinums over the coppers.
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:46 PM   #3

uhhh...

Let's list the benefits of Platinum plugs, shall we?

1. Longevity over copper due to that precious metal being on the firing tip

That's about it. And for that you're paying $9 - $15 more per plug??

The ignitability is up for debate. If the Platinums have a copper core just like the Copper V Power, then how does a drop of Platinum at the tip make this more ignitable? If anything, the Platinum just makes the plug's electrode more durable--right?? But is that durability worth a premium of 10x's the going rate for a spark plug?

I think the Platinum & Iridium plugs are nothing more than a gimmick (similar to the gimmick of an Extended Warranty on household items like VCR's and DVD players). I think Spark plug companies are marketing their plugs like Credit Card companies market their credit cards (i.e. Titanium, Platinum Plus, Centurion, etc.).
Old 01-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Sin

Send a message via ICQ to Sin Send a message via Yahoo to Sin
Re: uhhh...

Quote:
Originally posted by jam4me
Let's list the benefits of Platinum plugs, shall we?

1. Longevity over copper due to that precious metal being on the firing tip

That's about it. And for that you're paying $9 - $15 more per plug??

The ignitability is up for debate. If the Platinums have a copper core just like the Copper V Power, then how does a drop of Platinum at the tip make this more ignitable? If anything, the Platinum just makes the plug's electrode more durable--right?? But is that durability worth a premium of 10x's the going rate for a spark plug?

I think the Platinum & Iridium plugs are nothing more than a gimmick (similar to the gimmick of an Extended Warranty on household items like VCR's and DVD players). I think Spark plug companies are marketing their plugs like Credit Card companies market their credit cards (i.e. Titanium, Platinum Plus, Centurion, etc.).
Read the quote again.

" The BKR5E-11 has a copper core, however the firing end uses nickel alloy rather then precious metals. The longevity will be less and the ignitability won't be as good as the fine wire platinum and iridium spark plugs."

Notice the part about the ignitability?
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:14 AM   #5
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Many guys here who are quite knowledgeable use the copper plugs with no issues. I followed their lead, and am happy I didn't shell out $50 more for platinums. Changing them is elementary, thereby making the plats a waste of resources.

I have noticed zero performance difference.
bill99gxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:18 AM   #6
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Sprint
i have said this over and over again... copper plugs are better than platinum plugs performance/cost wise
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 AM   #7
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Quote:
Originally posted by SprintMax
i have said this over and over again... copper plugs are better than platinum plugs performance/cost wise

Maybe we should ask Steve to do a dyno plot of copper vs. plats.
bill99gxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:25 AM   #8
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Sprint
Quote:
Originally posted by bill99gxe

Maybe we should ask Steve to do a dyno plot of copper vs. plats.
no more steve plots
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:31 AM   #9
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Points: 9,355, Level: 65 Points: 9,355, Level: 65 Points: 9,355, Level: 65
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via ICQ to BlueBOB Send a message via AIM to BlueBOB Send a message via MSN to BlueBOB Send a message via Yahoo to BlueBOB
Now, this may be a stupid question, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if SprintMax went off on my a$$, but the first weekend I owned my Max, I went and put Bosch Platinum's in my car not knowing what I was doing.

The car has been running fine, but recently it seems to very briefly feel like it's stalling. The only times I feel this is when I'm at a constant speed and the speed doesn't seem to be a factor. I am planning on changing the plugs to NGK Coppers this weekend. Do you think this minor stalling will stop?

Cardomain : Dallas Nissan Enthusiasts : DNE Forums : VQPower.com - DTM

Nissan's Owned: 95 Maxima, 06 G35c 6MT, 06 Titan
BlueBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:22 AM   #10

Bosch

Hey,

Take it from me -- I had Bosch Plat's prior to my last series of spark plug changes (that's what triggered the replacements in the first place) -- I had hard starts in the morning and my engine would stumble and stall. Just FYI I used the Bosch Plats for approx. 30k miles before all this developed.

The weekend before last I pulled the Bosch out and noticed that they looked pretty fouled from all the hard starts. I replaced them with Autolites (which performed pretty well up until this past weekend where I just noticed some rough idle). Now, it could have been that I haven't cleaned my TB, but I just felt I needed to put the NGK's in so that I don't have any doubts, so I swapped those Autolites out with NGK Copper's this past weekend. The car is running like a dream again (other than some vibrations from my wheels which are still not quite perfectly balanced).
Old 01-29-2003, 08:20 AM   #11
dot dot dot ...

Points: 47,889, Level: 100 Points: 47,889, Level: 100 Points: 47,889, Level: 100
Activity: 45.9%
Activity: 45.9% Activity: 45.9% Activity: 45.9%
Send a message via AIM to NmexMAX Send a message via MSN to NmexMAX Send a message via Yahoo to NmexMAX
How long do they usually last? I've had mine in for about 40K. I thought they laste or should be replaced somewhere in the range of 30K, but performancewise, no complaints whatsoever.

03 SE 4AT 257whp/245wtq
95 SE 4AT 245k Miles
08 Pathy LE 5.6

Stuff for sale: 4" intake tubing/FastCat, HID bulbs, HID Fog Kit,front bearingshttp://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...t-springs.html
NmexMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:20 AM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement