Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 167
Timing chain tensioner replacement

How many people have done it?
And what kind of job is it?
Does one need to replace only the plunger or the hole kit?
__________________
1995 GXE auto. AGX, H&R, STB,Budget y-pipe with, Courtesy B-pipe,S/S lines, brembo drilled rotors, EBC green stuff pads, trailer hitch, replaced timing chain tensionner, a lead gas pedal installed,...and plenty of scratches!!!

Dreaming:rework the internals, TB from Q45 and slap on a huge turbo and titanium exhaust,...
MarcGXE95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
This is a TSB

...at least for my car.

Mine had that rattling sound a bit last summer (exist only for 3 starts after that it's dead silent ever since *knock on wood*), which prompted me to go to Nissan dealer.

The service manager ran my VIN and there is a Technical Service Bulletion for it (something that might result in failure, not a recall, we only pay a small fee to get it done, else is charged to Nissan) for US$ 150. That will replace the tensioner and guides, but not the whole thing (US$ 1000).

Since the noise went away, I did not do the TSB.

Try asking your Nissan dealership to run your VIN and ask for Timing Chain Tensioner TSB.
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:19 PM   #3
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: This is a TSB

Quote:
Originally posted by ardika
...at least for my car.

Mine had that rattling sound a bit last summer (exist only for 3 starts after that it's dead silent ever since *knock on wood*), which prompted me to go to Nissan dealer.

The service manager ran my VIN and there is a Technical Service Bulletion for it (something that might result in failure, not a recall, we only pay a small fee to get it done, else is charged to Nissan) for US$ 150. That will replace the tensioner and guides, but not the whole thing (US$ 1000).

Since the noise went away, I did not do the TSB.

Try asking your Nissan dealership to run your VIN and ask for Timing Chain Tensioner TSB.
If it is a TSB for only certain years, then what year is your car?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
Re: Re: This is a TSB

Correct.

Mine is 1997, date of manufacture is 12/96 (hence I don't get free alternator).



Quote:
Originally posted by White96MaxSE


If it is a TSB for only certain years, then what year is your car?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #5
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

If I'm not covered by any TSB or Nissan Warranty (which is likely since I have 202,000 miles on my car), then how much would it cost to have a competent mechanic replace just the timing chain tensioner and install the updated one?

Anybody just have that done?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:08 PM   #6
The original VQ...

 
maxspeed96CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CT
iTrader: (9)
Posts: 4,922
Points: 21,629, Level: 92
Points: 21,629, Level: 92 Points: 21,629, Level: 92 Points: 21,629, Level: 92
Activity: 1.2%
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

Send a message via AIM to maxspeed96CT
Do you guys think getting this done would make my valves and my motor run quieter. I seems like the timing need to be set or something be cause my vales or something tick alot, how much does this go for?
__________________

-01 AE 5spd (recently sold )
maxspeed96CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
Good question.

White96MaxSE,

TSB should cover your car (mine is at 130k myself, and it happened when it was at 114k) regardless of mileage/year.

If you are not covered with TSB (which I find hard to believe), it probably cost you around US$ 500k without replacing the chain and guides. If you want to change the guides/chains everything it will cost around US 1000.

Make sure you find a very knowledgeable mechanic though. Otherwise, man.... you are probably looking at a new engine. Speaking of which, if you check the General/4th Gen Forum, there is one guy who could get a brand new engine for US$ 400 shipped (cost around US$ 500 to install).

So, I think it would be better off with the new engine rather than changing the chains/guides/tensioners.

Quote:
Originally posted by White96MaxSE
If I'm not covered by any TSB or Nissan Warranty (which is likely since I have 202,000 miles on my car), then how much would it cost to have a competent mechanic replace just the timing chain tensioner and install the updated one?

Anybody just have that done?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #8
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Good question.

Quote:
Originally posted by ardika
White96MaxSE,

TSB should cover your car (mine is at 130k myself, and it happened when it was at 114k) regardless of mileage/year.

If you are not covered with TSB (which I find hard to believe), it probably cost you around US$ 500k without replacing the chain and guides. If you want to change the guides/chains everything it will cost around US 1000.

Make sure you find a very knowledgeable mechanic though. Otherwise, man.... you are probably looking at a new engine. Speaking of which, if you check the General/4th Gen Forum, there is one guy who could get a brand new engine for US$ 400 shipped (cost around US$ 500 to install).

So, I think it would be better off with the new engine rather than changing the chains/guides/tensioners.

Ardika;

My engine seems to be in the very early stages of having problems with the timing chain tensioner (otherwise my engine runs like new at 202,000 miles).

I have always used original Nissan oil filters so the problem doesn't arise from the pressure relieve valve of an inferior oil filter.

I will hear noise for a couple of seconds only sometimes when I let the car sit for over 15 hours or so in cold weather in the garage that I can recall. It appeared this winter for the first time.

Now that the weather is moving into spring, the timing chain noise has stopped being a problem.

Previously, I have read on the org of the fact that the timing chain tensioner in the 95-96 Maximas being prone to failure, but that they redesigned this in the later 4th generation cars, and if you have it repaired then they would replace it with the newly designed timing chain tensioner.

Some have described this as a three stage problem. The first stage (the one I'm in now) is intermittent noise for a couple of seconds at initial startup of the day only. It has been described as nothing to be concerned about.

Second Stage has been described as when the noise continues until the engine is warmed up.

Third stage (definitely a bad situation) is when it the timing chain tensioner never pumps up with oil and the chain is loose all of the time. I would agree at this stage with the cost of used junk yard motors it would probably be best to swap in another engine.

My question is whether or not I can have someone replace the timing chain tensioner while I am in Stage One of the problem, and do this inexpensively without changing the guides or or timing chains.

(I might add that I talked to my local dealer and they said that a technical service bulletin (tsb) was just a bulletin for the dealer and did not necessarily mean that Nissan would pay for a repair. In this case they said no way with 202,000 miles on my Max.) Does anyone think I should talk to another Nissan dealer about this or go directly to Nissan themselves?

(I just re-read your post and you think 500.00 for just the timing chain tensioner? Ouch, Is that from the dealer?)

I'm glad I'm still in Stage One!!!!

That is the work I would like to have performed for a fee from a competent mechanic. Given the skill level needed to do this a low-mileage Maxima VQ might be something I should invest in and put it in the garage for when it is needed.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.


Now, look here at a possible solution I found.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hain+tensioner

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:04 AM   #9
Member

 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hfx, N.S.
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 231
Points: 10,031, Level: 66
Points: 10,031, Level: 66 Points: 10,031, Level: 66 Points: 10,031, Level: 66
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
White96MaxSE

If you have small hands and patiences you can replace it yourself by removing the passenger side engine mount. Then remove the accesss panel and just replace the tensioner. ( I heard of one person doing it.)

I replaced mine when I replaced my clutch. Took the engine right of the mounts and shifted it over 8". I was going to replace the chain and guides but I could not take the main pulley off ( the first thing you should do)and I was runninng out of time so I just replaced the tennioner and it runs fine. ( may change the chain later)


If you are in the early stages try an engine flush it may help temporarily. I was at stage 2.
__________________
2002 GLE Auto, Rear sway bar, SE Springs, Ilumina Shocks, Painted grille and lights, 6th gen brakes, (Maf failure #1 - 09-05-08)

SOLD 96 se 5 speed, Super Black, Hack air box with K&N filter, budget y pipe, Budget B pipe with resonator , 5th gen muffler, GR-2 struts, rear sway bar, FSB ,clear corners, air horn beep beep:
maxger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:37 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
Re: Re: Good question.

Whitemax96SE,

Here is another solution that "may" cure your problem temporarily. Try to use a heavier oil (but don't exceed 10w30) and put some more into the block (usually it's 4.4 quart, but now pour 4.7 or so) whenever you change the oil and oil filter.

The TSB should cover your car, if your car's VIN is included. Period. It applies to specific Nissan vehicles (identified by VIN), and mine (97 GXE with 114k at that time) is included. The normal charge is US$ 500 including parts and labor, but because my car is included in the TSB, it's "only" US$ 150.

The dealer gave me a print out of the TSB and I received the paper. Unfortunately, I could not find the print out when I was searching through my Max documents. I will try again tonight, and if I could get a hold of this, I will fax it to you. Another thing that I could do is to ask the dealer to send me another one.

Try another Nissan dealer and give me a few days to find that paper. Man, I know it's somewhere here...
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:02 AM   #11
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Re: Re: Good question.

Quote:
Originally posted by ardika
Whitemax96SE,

Here is another solution that "may" cure your problem temporarily. Try to use a heavier oil (but don't exceed 10w30) and put some more into the block (usually it's 4.4 quart, but now pour 4.7 or so) whenever you change the oil and oil filter.

The TSB should cover your car, if your car's VIN is included. Period. It applies to specific Nissan vehicles (identified by VIN), and mine (97 GXE with 114k at that time) is included. The normal charge is US$ 500 including parts and labor, but because my car is included in the TSB, it's "only" US$ 150.

The dealer gave me a print out of the TSB and I received the paper. Unfortunately, I could not find the print out when I was searching through my Max documents. I will try again tonight, and if I could get a hold of this, I will fax it to you. Another thing that I could do is to ask the dealer to send me another one.

Try another Nissan dealer and give me a few days to find that paper. Man, I know it's somewhere here...

Ardika;

I am running 10W30 right now (always have used that weight of oil)

I think I will try two other dealers in my area to see what they say about the TSB you describe.

I would like to have the document you speak of, but I don't have a fax machine. Is it possible that I can have you send it (if you find it) to like a local Kinkos Copy Center and then go pick it up?

I guess if you can't find it maybe someone else has it and can scan it or someone knows the TSB Number for the Timing Chain Tensioner.

In any event thanks a lot for you input and your help on this one.

It may take a little while to get to the bottom of this, but it is worth a look into if it would save 350.00.

Anybody have or know about the TSB if Ardika isn't able to find his copy?

Thanks again, Ardika for your help.

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:32 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
Re: Re: Re: Re: Good question.

Whitemax96 SE,

Worst come to worst, I'll call the dealer and give them my VIN number. If they are able to give me the# of the TSB or something, I'll forward them to you.

If you don't have a fax machine, we could always go snail mail. I'll let you know as soon as I talk with the Service Manager. I just contacted a Nissan dealership in Milwaukee, and they don't know (or don't want to know) about the TSB on tensioner. I will contact my old dealer (the one in Madison, WI not in Milwaukee, WI) and have them forward the documentation.

Stay put.

Armand

Quote:
Originally posted by White96MaxSE



Ardika;

I am running 10W30 right now (always have used that weight of oil)

I think I will try two other dealers in my area to see what they say about the TSB you describe.

I would like to have the document you speak of, but I don't have a fax machine. Is it possible that I can have you send it (if you find it) to like a local Kinkos Copy Center and then go pick it up?

I guess if you can't find it maybe someone else has it and can scan it or someone knows the TSB Number for the Timing Chain Tensioner.

In any event thanks a lot for you input and your help on this one.

It may take a little while to get to the bottom of this, but it is worth a look into if it would save 350.00.

Anybody have or know about the TSB if Ardika isn't able to find his copy?

Thanks again, Ardika for your help.

White96MaxSE
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
TSB: I got them right here but....

Whitemax96SE,

Here ya go!

Classification: EM00-003
Reference : NTB00-054
Date : June 19, 2002

Applied Vehicle :1997-1999 Maxima VQ30
Applied VIN : Before JN1CA31D1YT746029
Applied Date : Before December 12, 1999
Applied Enginer : Before VQ30-192142 Refer to Service Comm

The bad news is, perhaps your car is not covered since it's 1996. However, the TSB said this applies to VIN before the numbers above, and your should be included.

I could make a copy of the TSB and snail mail it to you, no problem. Let me know your address and it should be on its way.

Armand
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: TSB: I got them right here but....

Quote:
Originally posted by ardika
Whitemax96SE,

Here ya go!

Classification: EM00-003
Reference : NTB00-054
Date : June 19, 2002

Applied Vehicle :1997-1999 Maxima VQ30
Applied VIN : Before JN1CA31D1YT746029
Applied Date : Before December 12, 1999
Applied Enginer : Before VQ30-192142 Refer to Service Comm

The bad news is, perhaps your car is not covered since it's 1996. However, the TSB said this applies to VIN before the numbers above, and your should be included.

I could make a copy of the TSB and snail mail it to you, no problem. Let me know your address and it should be on its way.

Armand
Thanks for the information, Armand.

I have sent you my mailing address via PM.

I sure do appreciate your sending me a copy of the TSB!

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
Re: Re: TSB: I got them right here but....

Joel,

I got it. I just dropped it off at the shipping dept. It will go regular air mail, let me know if you don't have it by Wednesday next week.

Armand

Quote:
Originally posted by White96MaxSE


Thanks for the information, Armand.

I have sent you my mailing address via PM.

I sure do appreciate your sending me a copy of the TSB!

White96MaxSE
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:45 PM   #16
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 884
Points: 11,510, Level: 70
Points: 11,510, Level: 70 Points: 11,510, Level: 70 Points: 11,510, Level: 70
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
All TSBs can be found here.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/
95Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:47 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 167
Tensioner?

Does anyone know if the tensioner is sold by it self, or does it come with the chain guide and the whole kit?
I think I just found my next weekend project, I'm in stage 1.
__________________
1995 GXE auto. AGX, H&R, STB,Budget y-pipe with, Courtesy B-pipe,S/S lines, brembo drilled rotors, EBC green stuff pads, trailer hitch, replaced timing chain tensionner, a lead gas pedal installed,...and plenty of scratches!!!

Dreaming:rework the internals, TB from Q45 and slap on a huge turbo and titanium exhaust,...
MarcGXE95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #18
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Tensioner?

Quote:
Originally posted by MarcGXE95
Does anyone know if the tensioner is sold by it self, or does it come with the chain guide and the whole kit?
I think I just found my next weekend project, I'm in stage 1.
Hey MarcGXE95;

I called Nissan Customer Affairs about the TSB and it doesn't apply to my VIN number, in fact it does apply to only 1997-1999 cars!!

I'm like you I'm leaning toward just opening up that access hole on the timing chain cover and replacing the timing chain tensioner itself.

The link below will take you to a thread where 95bluse kindly describes the procedure to replace just the tensioner. He mentions "Chain guide SLA" kit Part Number 13091-31U26 which is not expensive and has the tensioner and a timing chain guide (that you can't use for now). Check it out here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...chain+tensioner

If anyone has already done this fix and has additional hints or tips please let us know before we attempt this. MarcGXE95 and myself would certainly appreciate it. MarcGXE95, If you do get this done before me please post your progress up here for us to learn from.

If we address this in Stage 1, then we could all save a boat load of pain and money, and it may be a simple fix similar to the knock sensor deal which turned out to be a fifteen minute fix after everybody put their heads together and learned from each other's mistakes and came up with creative approaches to the repair.

Hey Maxger, Did you read 95bluse's writeup and see anything you might add to his instructions for replacing the timing chain tensioner itself?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 05:35 AM   #19
Member

 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hfx, N.S.
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 231
Points: 10,031, Level: 66
Points: 10,031, Level: 66 Points: 10,031, Level: 66 Points: 10,031, Level: 66
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hello White96MaxSE

The link does not seem to open for me. But when I replaced mine I replaced the tensioner itself. You can get it in the timing chain kit or you can get the tensioner separately.

The hardest thing to do is to push the plunger back in and then remove the tensioner. I even had an additional 6 to 8" of space to get at it but I could not do it So I removed the tensioner the plunger under spring tension. When I removed the assembly the plunger and spring shot down deep inside the chain cover. My heart just dropped. So I went to the local auto/hardware store and pick up a teleoscopic magnet.

Took me 5 mins to get the two parts out THANK GOD. (Best $5 bucks I ever spent) So remmeber when you do remove it remember the plunger is free to move.

It will not be easy to remove it but it will save you a lot of money for sure ( $500). I will try the link again.
__________________
2002 GLE Auto, Rear sway bar, SE Springs, Ilumina Shocks, Painted grille and lights, 6th gen brakes, (Maf failure #1 - 09-05-08)

SOLD 96 se 5 speed, Super Black, Hack air box with K&N filter, budget y pipe, Budget B pipe with resonator , 5th gen muffler, GR-2 struts, rear sway bar, FSB ,clear corners, air horn beep beep:
maxger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:38 AM   #20
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by maxger
Hello White96MaxSE

The link does not seem to open for me. But when I replaced mine I replaced the tensioner itself. You can get it in the timing chain kit or you can get the tensioner separately.

The hardest thing to do is to push the plunger back in and then remove the tensioner. I even had an additional 6 to 8" of space to get at it but I could not do it So I removed the tensioner the plunger under spring tension. When I removed the assembly the plunger and spring shot down deep inside the chain cover. My heart just dropped. So I went to the local auto/hardware store and pick up a teleoscopic magnet.

Took me 5 mins to get the two parts out THANK GOD. (Best $5 bucks I ever spent) So remmeber when you do remove it remember the plunger is free to move.

It will not be easy to remove it but it will save you a lot of money for sure ( $500). I will try the link again.
Thinking about the removal of the tensioner and plunger made me wonder a couple of things:

1. If you loosen the bolts that hold the tensioner in there wouldn't some of the oil drain out and lower the tension on the plunger eventually?

2. What if you used some braided twine say about 8 inches long and attach one piece to the tensioner and the other to the plunger piston so that when you remove the two 10 mm bolts and they spring out as the tension on the chain guide is relieved that you have the two parts on the end of the twine, and you don't have to go fishing for the parts at the bottom of the timing chain cover with the magnetic tool?

Anybody want to agree or disagree with these two ideas?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:52 PM   #21
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Re: Re: TSB: I got them right here but....

Quote:
Originally posted by ardika
Joel,

I got it. I just dropped it off at the shipping dept. It will go regular air mail, let me know if you don't have it by Wednesday next week.

Armand

Ardika;

What quick mail service!!!

I got the copy of the TSB you sent to me today (Saturday) in the mail.

Thanks a bunch for sending it.

I am talking to Nissan Customer Affairs in Gardena, California and my local Nissan Dealer's service manager about what I can do about the timing chain tensioner noise at my first start of the day, but get this, it hasn't made the noise for like four days in a row now that the weather is warmer!

Thanks Ardika,

White96MaxSE

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 167
I'll try to keep you guys updated!

I should be doing the job in a week or two.
Wish me luck!
__________________
1995 GXE auto. AGX, H&R, STB,Budget y-pipe with, Courtesy B-pipe,S/S lines, brembo drilled rotors, EBC green stuff pads, trailer hitch, replaced timing chain tensionner, a lead gas pedal installed,...and plenty of scratches!!!

Dreaming:rework the internals, TB from Q45 and slap on a huge turbo and titanium exhaust,...
MarcGXE95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #23
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: I'll try to keep you guys updated!

Quote:
Originally posted by MarcGXE95
I should be doing the job in a week or two.
Wish me luck!
I do wish you luck, and keep detailed notes!

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:54 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 204
Send a message via AIM to supercobraz Send a message via Yahoo to supercobraz
Hey guys, I have a 98 SE and I had that same sound coming from my car about 2 years ago when I had about 40K miles. Same symptoms, first start up of the day but only for about a second. It only did like 3 or 4 times and I haven't heart it but maybe once since then. It also looks like I fall within those VIN # to. I didn't think those bullatons help the constumer in any way though. I called about my rear brakes sticking and making a humming noise and there is a TSB on that and I called Nissan and the dealer and neither was willing to pay for repairs. So does it just depend on the dealer or what?
supercobraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:20 PM   #25
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 77
Points: 8,487, Level: 62
Points: 8,487, Level: 62 Points: 8,487, Level: 62 Points: 8,487, Level: 62
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via Yahoo to DMaximus
Quote:
Originally posted by maxger
Hello White96MaxSE

The link does not seem to open for me. But when I replaced mine I replaced the tensioner itself. You can get it in the timing chain kit or you can get the tensioner separately.

The hardest thing to do is to push the plunger back in and then remove the tensioner. I even had an additional 6 to 8" of space to get at it but I could not do it So I removed the tensioner the plunger under spring tension. When I removed the assembly the plunger and spring shot down deep inside the chain cover. My heart just dropped. So I went to the local auto/hardware store and pick up a teleoscopic magnet.

Took me 5 mins to get the two parts out THANK GOD. (Best $5 bucks I ever spent) So remmeber when you do remove it remember the plunger is free to move.

It will not be easy to remove it but it will save you a lot of money for sure ( $500). I will try the link again.


Where can you buy the kit and/or the plunger from?
__________________
DMaximus
DMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:36 PM   #26
Supporting Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dublin, Ohio
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 75
Points: 7,185, Level: 56
Points: 7,185, Level: 56 Points: 7,185, Level: 56 Points: 7,185, Level: 56
Activity: 0.2%
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

My 96 SE has this very same issue, except it falls outside of the TSB VIN range! I'm working with Nissan of North America on the issue too...

MyGray96SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:11 PM   #27
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by MyGray96SE
My 96 SE has this very same issue, except it falls outside of the TSB VIN range! I'm working with Nissan of North America on the issue too...

The closest Nissan Dealer needs me to bring the car in to see if they can duplicate it (it takes overnight, but it only occurs right now once in the last 5 days, and only for 2-4 seconds at first start of the day).

Honestly, I don't like taking my car to the dealer for them to keep my car. I have had too many bad experiences in the past with this arrangement (not necessarily Nissan, but dealers in general) so I discussed this with Nissan Consumer Affairs and they told me that I could wait until it got a little worse before calling back and reopening the case (they also stated that it was a little out of warranty (I'm at 202,000 miles), but I may still bring it up again unless I just buy the tensioner and do it myself once we here on the .org figure out the right way to approach this and we get some more feedback from those that complete the project.

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:30 AM   #28
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 77
Points: 8,487, Level: 62
Points: 8,487, Level: 62 Points: 8,487, Level: 62 Points: 8,487, Level: 62
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via Yahoo to DMaximus
Quote:
Originally posted by White96MaxSE


The closest Nissan Dealer needs me to bring the car in to see if they can duplicate it (it takes overnight, but it only occurs right now once in the last 5 days, and only for 2-4 seconds at first start of the day).

Honestly, I don't like taking my car to the dealer for them to keep my car. I have had too many bad experiences in the past with this arrangement (not necessarily Nissan, but dealers in general) so I discussed this with Nissan Consumer Affairs and they told me that I could wait until it got a little worse before calling back and reopening the case (they also stated that it was a little out of warranty (I'm at 202,000 miles), but I may still bring it up again unless I just buy the tensioner and do it myself once we here on the .org figure out the right way to approach this and we get some more feedback from those that complete the project.

White96MaxSE


I went to the Nissan dealership here and told them about the TSB issued on the timing belt tensioner. I inquired how much would it cost to have it replaced. They told me that it was $79.84 for the part and about $880.00 for the labor.
I told them that I thought that if there was a TSB issued that they were supposed to fix it for free. They told me no. The TSB is simply just that. It tells them how to fix it. They said that they would only replace it for free if there had been a recall on the part.

What is the number for Nissan Consumer Affairs? Did they say it was free to replace it?


DMaximus
__________________
DMaximus
DMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:01 AM   #29
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2000
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 884
Points: 11,510, Level: 70
Points: 11,510, Level: 70 Points: 11,510, Level: 70 Points: 11,510, Level: 70
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
The dealer is correct a TSB is not a recall. It is simply a way to fix an issue.

The number for nissan is 800-nissan1 They will tell you the exact same thing though.
95Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (3)
Posts: 997
I was quoted for US$ 150 plus tax. It should take around 2 hours or less, plus parts.

Quote:
Originally posted by 95Max
The dealer is correct a TSB is not a recall. It is simply a way to fix an issue.

The number for nissan is 800-nissan1 They will tell you the exact same thing though.
ardika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:21 PM   #31
Supporting Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2000
iTrader: (1)
Posts: 2,622

Send a message via AIM to GarthG
There is this TSB for 95-96 Maxes, but I don't know if they will help us with the costs involved. Here is a link to the PDF from the TSB website listed earlier:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/TSBScans/sb613975.pdf
__________________
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man
affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in
darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening
to repetitive electronic music."
Kristian Wilson,
Nintendo Inc., 1989
GarthG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:15 PM   #32
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by DMaximus
DMaximus


I went to the Nissan dealership here and told them about the TSB issued on the timing belt tensioner. I inquired how much would it cost to have it replaced. They told me that it was $79.84 for the part and about $880.00 for the labor.
I told them that I thought that if there was a TSB issued that they were supposed to fix it for free. They told me no. The TSB is simply just that. It tells them how to fix it. They said that they would only replace it for free if there had been a recall on the part.

What is the number for Nissan Consumer Affairs? Did they say it was free to replace it?


****
Nissan Consumer Affairs:

Nissan Consumer Affairs has not stated outright that they wouldn't assist in repairing the problem. I mentioned to them that it was my understanding the the timing chain tensioner was redesigned in later models of the Maxima, and that I had heard that it was recommended that the timing chain tensioner be replaced with the updated timing chain tensioner in the 1995-1996 models.

To me that seems to indicate some kind of "recall on the part itself". I think Nissan should cover this poor design of their timing chain tensioner, but I haven't continued to pursue this with Nissan Consumer Affairs because of mine being very intermittent lately. I just got done letting my car sit without starting it for 36 hours and when I started it this morning it didn't make the noise at all!

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 296
timing chain tensioner

sup guys.. got a 96 max with 136,000 miles on it... dont really notice this sound u guys talking about... but could u explain to me how it sounds like... and wat are the 3 stages of this problem???
BigJayx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:09 AM   #34
Supporting Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 28
Points: 8,304, Level: 61
Points: 8,304, Level: 61 Points: 8,304, Level: 61 Points: 8,304, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: This is a TSB

Quote:
Originally posted by ardika
...at least for my car.

Mine had that rattling sound a bit last summer (exist only for 3 starts after that it's dead silent ever since *knock on wood*), which prompted me to go to Nissan dealer.

The service manager ran my VIN and there is a Technical Service Bulletion for it (something that might result in failure, not a recall, we only pay a small fee to get it done, else is charged to Nissan) for US$ 150. That will replace the tensioner and guides, but not the whole thing (US$ 1000).

Since the noise went away, I did not do the TSB.

Try asking your Nissan dealership to run your VIN and ask for Timing Chain Tensioner TSB.
I think that my 95 Maxima has this problem. How do you characterize the noise that comes from the alternator area? Is it a high-pitch squealing sound?
MaxLimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:48 PM   #35
Donating Maxima.org Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 245
Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68 Points: 10,479, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Re: This is a TSB

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxLimits


I think that my 95 Maxima has this problem. How do you characterize the noise that comes from the alternator area? Is it a high-pitch squealing sound?
My Opinion on:

High pitched squeal coming from the alternator area sounds like either adjustment of serpentine belt or air conditioner belt, or a failing alternator.

This sounds like a separate issue from the Timing Chain Tensioner problem.

White96MaxSE
__________________
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Arctic White Pearl/Charcoal Cloth Interior
White96MaxSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #36
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: May 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 13
Send a message via AIM to SmoothBlack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardika
Whitemax96SE,

Here ya go!

Classification: EM00-003
Reference : NTB00-054
Date : June 19, 2002

Applied Vehicle :1997-1999 Maxima VQ30
Applied VIN : Before JN1CA31D1YT746029
Applied Date : Before December 12, 1999
Applied Enginer : Before VQ30-192142 Refer to Service Comm

The bad news is, perhaps your car is not covered since it's 1996. However, the TSB said this applies to VIN before the numbers above, and your should be included.

I could make a copy of the TSB and snail mail it to you, no problem. Let me know your address and it should be on its way.

Armand

Guys, my Timing chain tensioner is about dead, and after readin this it appears that i may qualify for the TSB.

I don't now how to decode the vin to see if it falls before or after the previously listed vin, can someone help me out? Hopefully i do qualify for this TSB.

My car was manufactured in 12/1998 and the vin is JN1CA21D9XT816482

Thanks!
SmoothBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #37
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: May 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 13
Send a message via AIM to SmoothBlack
bump ^ 4 me

edit: I went to the nissan $tealer$hip and they told me that they had to run a work order and sharge me a minimum of 29bucks to see if my vin number is covered or not...
__________________
Dennis
1999 Max SE
2000 i30
2001 IS 300
1991 Sentra SE-R
SmoothBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 742
Points: 6,192, Level: 51
Points: 6,192, Level: 51 Points: 6,192, Level: 51 Points: 6,192, Level: 51
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBlack
bump ^ 4 me

edit: I went to the nissan $tealer$hip and they told me that they had to run a work order and sharge me a minimum of 29bucks to see if my vin number is covered or not...
What the ............!@???
What a ripoff..

Change dealer.
twiggy144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Maxima.org Forums Home Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Frequently Asked Questions on the Forums Search Find other members Registration is free! Support Maxima.org! Receive perks and benefits by donating to Maxima.org Questions? Comments?  Suggestions? Contact Us! Visit our Sponsors View and submit Maxima events Log Out of Maxima.org
Emails Backup