4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What's my clutch life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 08:27 PM
rll96se

Just wondering what everybody has gotten out of their stock clutch. My 96 SE just turned 80k and I am the second owner (but still original clutch according to dealer). It still runs great but I am worried about having to bear the expense of a new clutch. Its not slipping or anything - I just wanted to know if there is more life left based on others experience (I never dump the clutch, rip seconds, or let my wife drive my car!). Also any recommendations on a replacement? Thanks in advance for the input!!!

Old 01-30-2001, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Clutch on my 95 max,

Bit the dust at 91K miles.But I learned how to drive a 5spd on that car and drove rather quickly on occasion.
Old 01-30-2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by rll96se
Just wondering what everybody has gotten out of their stock clutch. My 96 SE just turned 80k and I am the second owner (but still original clutch according to dealer). It still runs great but I am worried about having to bear the expense of a new clutch. Its not slipping or anything - I just wanted to know if there is more life left based on others experience (I never dump the clutch, rip seconds, or let my wife drive my car!). Also any recommendations on a replacement? Thanks in advance for the input!!!
Clutch life depends on driving style and driving environment.

If you drive gently, a clutch will last a long time. If you engage in abusive driving practices (drag race starts, power shifting) the clutch will have an early death.

The clutch doesn't wear at all when your foot is off the pedal. If your driving is mostly highway miles, clutch life is unlimited because it isn't being used. If your driving is mostly in a stop-and-roll urban setting the clutch won't last long.

If you don't know anything about the original owner's style and environment it is difficult to estimate the expected service life of your clutch.
Old 01-30-2001, 09:23 PM
rll96se

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Clutch life depends on driving style and driving environment.

If you drive gently, a clutch will last a long time. If you engage in abusive driving practices (drag race starts, power shifting) the clutch will have an early death.

The clutch doesn't wear at all when your foot is off the pedal. If your driving is mostly highway miles, clutch life is unlimited because it isn't being used. If your driving is mostly in a stop-and-roll urban setting the clutch won't last long.

If you don't know anything about the original owner's style and environment it is difficult to estimate the expected service life of your clutch.
Thanks Daniel. Unfortunately I do mostly city driving but not necessarily stop and go rush hour type. Any recommendation for the replacement when that time comes?

Old 01-31-2001, 04:59 AM

... Any recommendation for the replacement when that time comes? [/I]
I've owned many stick-shift vehicles, including Nissans. My '99 Maxima clutch gets a grade of C minus. The car was bought new and gently driven. Despite this, it suffers from "clutch groan" and occasional chatter. Therefore, when replacement time comes, I will not buy Nissan parts. I will buy a name-brand aftermarket clutch kit. New, not remanufactured.

I don't need the extra expense and stiffer "feel" of a performance clutch. This probably holds for you, too.
Old 01-31-2001, 04:54 PM
Keven97SE

My old clutch disk had gobs of friction material left when I had the clutch (along with the old tranny) replaced at 73,000 miles. I imagine I could have gone 125K miles before it NEEDED replacement. My style of driving is pretty aggressive, but I don't drag the clutch, most likely the reason the clutch lasted so well. (Of course, I destroyed the tranny, so what I do well in some regards I don't...you get the picture).

Very happy with the ACT heavy duty clutch (HDMM) I have now. Stock-type friction disk but beefed up a bit, and a stronger pressure plate the holds more torque (~35% more). Not at all stiff or rough. Engagement is actually smoother than stock now, no chattering at all. Full engagement comes on a little quicker though (less travel to reach full engagement - not difficult to use or get used to though). Pedal stiffness is the same, maybe a tad firmer than stock. Cost ~$360 for everything including pilot bushing and throwout bearing. Comparable to a stock kit I think and so far seems to be superior.

Old 01-31-2001, 06:18 PM
rll96se

Originally posted by Keven97SE
My old clutch disk had gobs of friction material left when I had the clutch (along with the old tranny) replaced at 73,000 miles. I imagine I could have gone 125K miles before it NEEDED replacement. My style of driving is pretty aggressive, but I don't drag the clutch, most likely the reason the clutch lasted so well. (Of course, I destroyed the tranny, so what I do well in some regards I don't...you get the picture).

Very happy with the ACT heavy duty clutch (HDMM) I have now. Stock-type friction disk but beefed up a bit, and a stronger pressure plate the holds more torque (~35% more). Not at all stiff or rough. Engagement is actually smoother than stock now, no chattering at all. Full engagement comes on a little quicker though (less travel to reach full engagement - not difficult to use or get used to though). Pedal stiffness is the same, maybe a tad firmer than stock. Cost ~$360 for everything including pilot bushing and throwout bearing. Comparable to a stock kit I think and so far seems to be superior.
Thanks KEVEN97SE, the clutch you got sounds like something suitable for me. Hey Daniel, when I reverse, I hear a sound similar to if you say the word "who" and hold the syllable for an extended period of time. I know its not the sound when you let the clutch out all the way and you hear the winding. It happens on occasion, more so in the cold. It has been doing that for a year now (which is why my concern for a new clutch is increasing). BTW I had a 96 200 SE-R and the clutch started acting like what you explained at 40k!! And that's with very conservative driving.

Old 01-31-2001, 06:25 PM

I replaced my stock clutch at about 130,000 miles. The only reason I did was because I started drag racing a bit out at the track on test & tune nights. I always lift-throttle on the up-shifts, and match revs on the down-shifts. I don't ride the clutch, power shift, or miss shifts. My new GOLD Centerforce clutch is sweet.
Old 01-31-2001, 06:30 PM

Clutch moan

... Hey Daniel, when I reverse, I hear a sound similar to if you say the word "who" and hold the syllable for an extended period of time. ...
[/I]
That sounds like the "clutch moan" many Maxima owners (including me) occasionally hear during engagement.