4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing Cover gaskets.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Timing Cover gaskets.

I think I have a leak behind my timing cover gasket. This royally sucks ****. I lose about a 1/4 of a quart of oil every 3 - 4 weeks. I've already replaced two valve cover gaskets and seals and oil pressure sending unit. Doing those two things has substantially decreased my oil leaks, but need to tackle the last one (before I'd lose 1/4 quart every 1-2 weeks). I have a 95 auto with 233K miles.

I was wondering...what gaskets should I replace if I were to replace anything behind that timing cover? I understand, that between the two-piece timing cover seam, you should use permatex RTV sealant...but what type (black, grey)? I also think there are 2 caps on the front of the engine block that are behind the timing cover. What are those part numbers?

Does anyone have the OEM part numbers for any and all gaskets/seals that need to be replaced if I take off the entire timing cover (including crank and cam sprockets...chains...etc.)? I'm going to leave all the timing chains alone (not replace them)...as well as the waterpump...I just don't want to spend the money right now.

Does anyone have all applicable OEM part #'s for this type of job? Secondly...which I'm considering...should I just swap the engine for a used....and seal up the old one? The seal job looks d amn hard doing it while the engine is still mounted in the car.

I think I'm looking at either : $50-$100 for new gaskets and seals and 15-20 hours of labor (for just a seal job) OR: $600 for a used engine and swap, including rear main seal..and 15-20 hours worth of labor. Tho of course with a spare engine...I could play with it (new cams...etc etc.) and it be more stress-free.

Please help! -Isaac
Old 01-27-2004, 05:56 AM
ejj

All the seals that I can recall with the timing cover are RTV grey. I don't know what you're refereing to with the "2 caps on the front of the engine block that are behind the timing cover."

I took my old engine apart (pics), but it was out of the car after doing a swap. Doing this with the engine in the car would be tough, but not impossiable.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:08 AM

Yeah, I also need to do this. I think you have to support the engine from a above because you have to remove 3 of the 4 engine mounts (says haynes) and drop the oil pan(s) before you remove the front timing cover.

Anyone done this fix themselves? We need input.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
"2 caps on the front of the engine block that are behind the timing cover."
I think he is referring to the water pump cover and the chain tensioner cover...

Old 01-27-2004, 09:59 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by MadMax95
I think he is referring to the water pump cover and the chain tensioner cover...

That's what I thought...but the bit about being "behind" the timing chain cover confused me.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:36 PM

From looking at the haynes book...I remember there are two caps that are on the block itself (not the water pump and tensioner cover plates). You'd have to remove the entire timing cover (front and back) to see them. I believe another member confirmed this, but I don't know what the part no's are. Maybe they are non-existant? Anyone have a FSM? If they are non-existant...I'd be very happy. I remember another guy had done just about everything to fix a similiar type of leak, except those two caps.

I'm building a list of things to do a complete job. Tell me what you think. I may just have to head over to the dealership...and look through their computer to see what I need. Did I miss anything? Thanks.

Option A:

http://www.nissan-part-dealer.com:
Front oil pan gasket. $6.11
Rear oil pan gasket. $6.11 (Note: Is the front and rear for the upper oil pan?)
Crankshaft front seal. $4.82
http://www.partsamerica.com (checker, kragen)
Fel Pro OS30696 - Lower Oil Pan Kit. $10.99
1 Permatex Black High Temp RTV. $3
2 Permatex Grey RTV. $6

Option B:
http://www.partsamerica.com (checker, kragen)
Fel Pro OS30696 - Upper Oil Pan Kit. $13.99
Fel Pro OS30696 - Lower Oil Pan Kit. $10.99
Beck/Arnley 0523741 - Front Crank Seal. $4.99
2 Permatex Grey RTV. $6
Old 01-28-2004, 05:41 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by izzydig
From looking at the haynes book...I remember there are two caps that are on the block itself (not the water pump and tensioner cover plates). You'd have to remove the entire timing cover (front and back) to see them. I believe another member confirmed this, but I don't know what the part no's are. Maybe they are non-existant? Anyone have a FSM? If they are non-existant...I'd be very happy. I remember another guy had done just about everything to fix a similiar type of leak, except those two caps.
Here's a pic of the block with no timing covers:

I don't see any "covers".
Old 01-28-2004, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by ejj
Here's a pic of the block with no timing covers:

I don't see any "covers".

Agreed...

I'm not sure what he's referring to...

Here is another pic in case you wanted a second opinion.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:03 PM

What are these things shown as A and B on the pic?

A don't look like caps, but I think those are things I was thinking about (and look replaceable). B looks like caps of some sort, but originally weren't what I was thinking about. Great Pics BTW. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by izzydig
What are these things shown as A and B on the pic?

A don't look like caps, but I think those are things I was thinking about (and look replaceable). B looks like caps of some sort, but originally weren't what I was thinking about. Great Pics BTW. Thanks.

The Red things refered to as "A" are o-rings. Thats the path of the oil from the pump through the chain cover and into the block.
What B refers to I never noticed. I think it's part of the casting of the head but without looking at it closer I'm not sure.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
ejj

What B refers to I never noticed. I think it's part of the casting of the head but without looking at it closer I'm not sure.
My first thought was that they could be drilled out for coolant passages....althought its obvious Nissan didn't intend that in our application.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
My first thought was that they could be drilled out for coolant passages....althought its obvious Nissan didn't intend that in our application.
Freeze plugs?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:45 PM
ejj

Freeze plugs?
Ah! I bettcha you're right. I've got the old heads laying around my garage...I'll take a look tonight.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ejj
Ah! I bettcha you're right. I've got the old heads laying around my garage...I'll take a look tonight.

I bet that's what they are. Unless they leak nobody really pays much attention I guess.