4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Odometer just stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:32 AM

Odometer just stopped working

95 auto max. Just realized my odometer is not working. the speedometer and everything else work just fine. any ideas? I asked a mechanic he said the entire unit (something in the dash) would have to be replaced. Is there any other device that keeps track of mileage? if so I won't have to fix the problem because I wont have trouble when selling the car.......ow i guess im screwed. .............please help.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:54 AM

Same thing happened to my 95 max: The speedo and tach keep working, but the odometer doesn't move at all.

I have no idea how to fix this. I pushed and pulled on the vehicle speed sensor, and the odo worked for a while, but has since stopped again. stupid odometer..
Old 10-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Custom User Title...

maybe buy a used gauge cluster for like $30 on ebay or here and either install it yourself, or bring to nissan or a mechanic and have them set it to your mileage and install it. goodluck
Old 10-18-2004, 11:34 AM

yea try like 75-80 shipped for the whole cluster. I installed LED's on my needles and none of my **** works right. So im buying a used one from a fellow org member for the time being.. until i ger brave again and throw them on the new one hopefully without messing it up.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Custom User Title...

damn prices really have gone up then because i bought one for $25 plus shipping last year and have seen plenty go cheap. i also see them go for tons like what you're saying but i think there's always a deal to be found.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Snordolio
Same thing happened to my 95 max: The speedo and tach keep working, but the odometer doesn't move at all.

I have no idea how to fix this. I pushed and pulled on the vehicle speed sensor, and the odo worked for a while, but has since stopped again. stupid odometer..
So you just keep driving? Won't this be a serious problem when you go to sell the car?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:33 AM

Holy crap, last Monday I was driving to pick up a starter with my friend for his truck. It was about a 1/2 hr trip, but when we got off the highway into the city, I noticed that my tripometer was at the same reading than when i left my house. I didn't notice the odometer. But i just pressed the reset botton and it immediately started to move again. WTF?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
Holy crap, last Monday I was driving to pick up a starter with my friend for his truck. It was about a 1/2 hr trip, but when we got off the highway into the city, I noticed that my tripometer was at the same reading than when i left my house. I didn't notice the odometer. But i just pressed the reset botton and it immediately started to move again. WTF?
I think only Nissan can solve the problem. I'm skeptical, however, to take the car to them with such a problem because if I don't fix it through them I think they would make a note of it or something. Depending on the state you live in I think the whole odometer thing can be a big deal, that's what I'm worried about most. Many ppl seem to be having problems with this, can anybody provide a real solution?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:52 AM
xarfox

thats awesome!!

keep driving the car all over the freaking place

then just fix it right before u sell it (or trade it in!)

Old 10-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really don't see how this is a problem. I would love to do that mod.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:33 AM

heres what you do.. take a picture of your broken odometer to account for the miles... to prove that this is your picture you can even get the sticker off your window from your next expected oilchange, throw he new guage in.... take a pic of that and the miles on that.. As long as you account for it there shouldnt be a big problem. Im not sure what Nissan can do about the whole thing.. I might give them a ring today and ask them how much they would charge to recalibrate a cluster and set the mileage accordingly. Hit you guys back up later today.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by riggy
So you just keep driving? Won't this be a serious problem when you go to sell the car?
Yup, unfortunatly this is my only vehicle so I can't drop it at a shop..I do want to remedy the issue, but haven't purchased a cluster off Ebay yet.

I plan on haning onto the car for another 3-4 years, but I'm not too worried about the resell value being effected by the odo because the car will probably be given to a family member.

How tough is it to change the gauge cluster?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Pizda Boy

easy & i got a 98 (digital) SE cluster for sale...
Old 10-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Its a piece of cake. I can have it done in 5-10 minutes. Just make sure you plug all the harnesses back in and the only tough part is putting that piece that has your cruise control/dimmer back in. Feels like your going to brake it sometimes. lol
Yup, unfortunatly this is my only vehicle so I can't drop it at a shop..I do want to remedy the issue, but haven't purchased a cluster off Ebay yet.

I plan on haning onto the car for another 3-4 years, but I'm not too worried about the resell value being effected by the odo because the car will probably be given to a family member.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:25 PM

Its a piece of cake. I can have it done in 5-10 minutes. Just make sure you plug all the harnesses back in and the only tough part is putting that piece that has your cruise control/dimmer back in. Feels like your going to brake it sometimes. lol

Old 10-20-2004, 12:08 PM

Your words are very encouraging.

Hopefully I'll find a used odo and install it next weekend.
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

stay away from the dealer or "odometer discrepency" will end up on your title.

I think 95 and 96's were prone to dash problems in general.

I bought an entire gauge cluster for like $60 shipped off ebay just to get the tach...resold the rest of it to the second highest bidder whom I'd previously contacted for $40....his odo had stopped working as well.

Its an easy swap to do...but if you have never done it i would ask advice from some one here with more experience or get a service manual.

good luck,
JB
Old 10-20-2004, 02:31 PM

I can look on ebay for one or get it from the junkyard. however, where can i go to get it installed. i can't do it myself. thanks.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:45 PM

Ok, be careful if you ever tell anyone about this and you try to sell your car. I just bought a 1995 Maxima and the odometer does not work. It has not worked for years!!! I am taking him to court and got a lawyer because it is ILLEGAL to sell a car that the odometer does not work!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sassy Girl
Ok, be careful if you ever tell anyone about this and you try to sell your car. I just bought a 1995 Maxima and the odometer does not work. It has not worked for years!!! I am taking him to court and got a lawyer because it is ILLEGAL to sell a car that the odometer does not work!

To all the guys that are talking about how they would love to do this mod and don't see the problem.................well, this is the problem. this whole odometer deal is def no joke. thanks for the post sassy....
Old 10-21-2004, 08:37 PM

I think only Nissan can solve the problem. I'm skeptical, however, to take the car to them with such a problem because if I don't fix it through them I think they would make a note of it or something. Depending on the state you live in I think the whole odometer thing can be a big deal, that's what I'm worried about most. Many ppl seem to be having problems with this, can anybody provide a real solution?
It's a problem with the 95's, and possibly the 96 and 97's, the motors wear out for the odometer. You'd have to get a new one somehow. Mine has been broken for almost 2 years, I'm considering swapping out all the gauges and going with autometer ones (speedo, tach. etc.) and fixiing it that way.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:58 AM

To all the guys that are talking about how they would love to do this mod and don't see the problem.................well, this is the problem. this whole odometer deal is def no joke. thanks for the post sassy....
Ok, and not only illegal, but very unethical! I bought this car from a "friend"! Some friend he is! And, he does not have oil change or repair records so that I would be able to tell "approximately" how many miles are on it. I don't think it has worked for years. So, do the right thing and fix it ASAP and keep track of how many miles you put on it in the meantime. Please!
The "friend" who sold me this car is (i think) actually going to buy the car back without going to court. Because not only would he have to pay me back the $-but, he may get in legal trouble and it will be hard to sell this car to someone else because I reported the odometer to the attorney general. So, when he tries to sell it again, he has to disclose that he has no idea how many miles are on it!
Oh, just to add on to this sale...There is a loan out on the car and I cannot put it in my name or put insurance on it. Nice friend, hu?!?