4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do I remove the upper back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:29 PM

How do I remove the upper back seat?

I have searched and found nothing.....

Time to do the rear struts and I'm not crawling in the trunk this time!

I feel like that red headed guy in the Austin Powers movies! Too tight in there!

Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 PM

After removing the lower back seat, there are two 10mm bolts with JIS looking X heads that hold a wire loop from the seat back to the body at each lower corner. Remove those two bolts. Next, remove the cover from the center arm rest to expose a more of the same type of 10mm bolt. Once those are removed you can lift the upper back seat "up and out" to remove.

I checked the I30 and 99 SE and there is a pan that must be removed also. It's a lot of work to remove all that when going through the trunk just requires the plastic trunk liner to be partially removed.

Last edited by CS_AR; 08-04-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Removal is quit easy as Craig stated. But there is an additional metal support that spans across the back that would need to be removed too as mentioned. Even with everything removed, access to the struts isn't the best. I think your best best is to still go through the trunk.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:44 PM

Thank you Gentlemen!

I guess I should have started a diet and exercise regimen months ago.

Time to suck it up and SQUEEEEEEEZE in there. LOL

Who should I call if I need the "Jaws of Life" to get me out? (assuming I can even reach my cellphone) LOL
Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 PM
JvG

Do you know any kids who might want to earn a little extra money? Particularly someone small for their age, possibly a girl?

I'm serious. I'm thinking of someone who is small enough to fit, and bright enough to follow instructions.

It's amazing what a little bit of bribery can accomplish.

Last edited by JvG; 08-04-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: To add something
Old 08-04-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Do you know any kids who might want to earn a little extra money? Particularly someone small for their age, possibly a girl?

I'm serious. I'm thinking of someone who is small enough to fit, and bright enough to follow instructions.

It's amazing what a little bit of bribery can accomplish.
I wish! Although, in these times, I'd be afraid to ask a girl. SJW's are looking for ANYTHING they can sink their teeth into and get off on taking anybody down (including something innocent).

So, I guess you agree 6 foot and 250 pounds is going to need an extraction team! LOL

I'll tough it out. I might not get out, but I'll definitely tough it out! I did it 2.5 years ago. And got out to be here now!

Thanks JvG!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 PM
JvG

You do have a valid point.

It would look suspicious if you bribed a little girl to climb into your trunk.

I was picturing a family relation, like a nephew or niece, while mom or dad was present. Perhaps a neighbor.

But yes, the world of SJW has gotten insane. One cannot be too careful.

I'm 6'3" , 220 pounds. It's difficult to squeeze into small spaces.

I have respect for the intelligence and ability of 8-12 year old children . Before the days of SJW s , attorneys, and general paranoia, this is how children gained self respect and learned how to be competent adults.

But I'm 63 years old, a relic of a day gone by.

Last edited by JvG; 08-04-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Additional comment added.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:31 PM

I'm a girl, 6'1, and I didn't have to crawl into my trunk per se. I just reached in and removed the nuts.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
You do have a valid point.

It would look suspicious if you bribed a little girl to climb into your trunk.

I was picturing a family relation, like a nephew or niece, while mom or dad was present. Perhaps a neighbor.

But yes, the world of SJW has gotten insane. One cannot be too careful.

I'm 6'3" , 220 pounds. It's difficult to squeeze into small spaces.

I have respect for the intelligence and ability of 8-12 year old children . Before the days of SJW s , attorneys, and general paranoia, this is how children gained self respect and learned how to be competent adults.

But I'm 63 years old, a relic of a day gone by.
Dude..... We're Fossils (In a Jeff Spicoli kinda voice!) LOL
Old 08-04-2017, 10:03 PM

I don't remember this being a problem on 4th gens per se, but Q45 people suggest stuffing a rag or small towel in and around the crevices where the rear strut tower meets the body to keep from accidentally losing a nut down one of those crevices. Once a nut has been lost in one of those Q45 crevices, there is no getting it back.

This is one of the reasons I like to work on 4th gens. They are a bit more forgiving about stuff like this.

Last edited by CS_AR; 08-04-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxima297
I'm a girl, 6'1, and I didn't have to crawl into my trunk per se. I just reached in and removed the nuts.
Where's that "Pics or it didn't happen" emoticon? LOL

Not that I don't believe you, but more like I'd be so proud of you to see that! Especially if you were my daughter! That's MY girl!

Yeah, the last time I replaced them, I had to get in there and sawzall off the nuts. Whoever installed them locked them in and rounded all four nuts. My 6 point sockets were useless. I had to buy Lennox Gold metal blades and by the time I got them out, I was miserable. Especially because the torque spec is 15 foot pounds on those nuts. It didn't have to be!

Very cool you did your own! A picture like that could easily go viral!

Market it well and buy more tools with the money!

If I have to crawl in there again..... I'm Callin you! LOL

Keep up the good work!