4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car will not start, no dash lights turn on w/ ignition..Need help ASAP Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Car will not start, no dash lights turn on w/ ignition..Need help ASAP Please!!

Alright- Tonight I went out with my car and met up with some friends at a parking lot..I parked my car but left the keys in it on the accessory mode(radio on) for about 5-10 minutes..
I then got back in my car and the radio was still on, so I went ahead to start it and absolutely nothing happened.. I tried it again and now nothing would work, No dash lights, radio, clock... I havent been able to get Anything out of turning the key anymore.. I figured it was maybe a bad connection or something, but no luck their. I had to get my car towed back home by a friend after 3 hours of diagnosing it without any luck.. I checked fuses, connections, used a Volt Ohm Meter and the battery and starter where getting good voltage..
I am now to the point where I feel that it's ignition related.. maybe the switch or something.. So basically nothing happens when I turn the key, No dash lights, radio cranking, fuel pump..anything... Although my headlights, interior lights work fine?

Please someone help me out, Its 12:30 right now and I have to be to work by 9:00, so any help now or anytime is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Thank you,

-Nick
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 PM

BTW I had checked the battery for power and it was fine (new Optima Red Top).. It just seems like the ignition switch is not giving a signal when the key is turned.. I have removed the ignition switch covers and havent noticed anything out of place... No prior problems until tonight.. No signs of hard starts of anything before this..

-Nick
Old 02-12-2005, 05:50 AM

bump...anyone??
Old 02-12-2005, 06:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Ignition switches are known to go bad....
Old 02-12-2005, 06:57 AM

sounds like the ignition switch......

only about $30 if I remember right. can dig out the part number if you want it.

takes about 1/2 hr
Old 02-12-2005, 06:58 AM

Yes, I have had to replace my ignition switch about 2 years ago.. But this isnt the symptons that it gave me when it went bad.. The car just wouldnt start then, but all the dash lights would turn on when the key was turned.. Now nothing happens, but the ignition switch is the only thing I can find feasible now.. Does anyone know if you can get a ign. switch at Autozone and such.. My Nissan dealers are closed today for the weekend.

Thanks,

-Nick
Old 02-12-2005, 07:00 AM

Also does it seem right that the ignition switch would just go without any symptons prior? I mean the car has been absolutely perfect, no hard starts or anything and jjust know this happens..

-Nick
Old 02-12-2005, 07:59 AM

If wiggling the key around alittle bit in the switch does nothing, it's probably not the switch - especially if it's only 2 years old.

It could be relays, alarm system, fusible links. If you have an FSM, look under the starting system. I'll look and see what I can dig up.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:21 AM

Wiggling the key does nothing... I've called everywhere and no one can get the switch until at least Tuesday.. If you could look in your FSM that would be great! I found a wrench that was laying in my engine bay right by the starter, I have no idea what is was doing there... I am now starting to believe it has something to do with that.. There were no arc marks on either the starter or wrench. I'm going to try looking at the starter relay next.. But I dont understand how that would affect the dash lights and such, but I dont know..
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Nick
Old 02-12-2005, 09:46 AM

if you send me your e-mail address, I can send info from the FSM that should help you out.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It sounds like a fusible link. My car did the same thing. Pull the cover off the fuse box beside the battery, put your key in the on position and wiggle the ignition fuse. There are a few different fuses under there, try any associated with ignition or power. The are alot bigger than a normal fuse, you should be able to see what I'm talking about. If it is the fuse loose, you will hear clicking and your heater kick on when it makes contact. If the fuse is blown, you could stick a wire inside the fuse, which basically bipasses it, but allows you to drive the car. I hope that can help you.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03 PM

Similiar Problem...?

My car is having a simliar problem. I turn the ignition and the lights dim, but SOMETIMES the starter will not crank. About 50% of the time the starter cranks, if not i release the key and try again, this time it cranks fine.

Replaced starter, no change
Put a relay in the ignition wire just short of the starter, so if any signal goes through the wire, a direct 12v from the battery is sent instead. This changed nothing.

I guess my ignition switch is bad?? Anyone?

95 Maxima GLE
Old 10-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car will not start wants to but will not

I have a 1999 nissan maxima that will not start it tries to start but nothing and dash lights not coming one everything like radio and door buzzer works
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 PM

I would pull out the switch and try turning it with a screwdriver. If you need an ignition switch, let me know. I can get you one.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:38 PM

What do you mean by "tries to start"? Does this mean the engine cranks over but doesn't start?

When you first turn the key to the ON position, do you get the lights in the instrument cluster (oil, battery, etc)?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The starter might be stuck. Get a hammer and long screwdriver to tap the starter gently, then try to start the car.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maximacarlover
I have a 1999 nissan maxima that will not start it tries to start but nothing and dash lights not coming one everything like radio and door buzzer works
NATS may have struck and you've been immobilized. Tell us what the security light is doing as you're cranking.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

same thing 2005 nissan xterra

same exact circumstances left key in while doing a spark plug change got in dash came on, turned key everything went black/blank, no power no blinky security light. did you find a resolution?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:06 PM
JvG

Is yours a 1999?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rotncarcas
My car is having a simliar problem. I turn the ignition and the lights dim, but SOMETIMES the starter will not crank. About 50% of the time the starter cranks, if not i release the key and try again, this time it cranks fine.

Replaced starter, no change
Put a relay in the ignition wire just short of the starter, so if any signal goes through the wire, a direct 12v from the battery is sent instead. This changed nothing.

I guess my ignition switch is bad?? Anyone?

95 Maxima GLE
My first guess would be battery. What voltage is it showing? And check the connections and ground, and make sure they're clean and tight.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the exact same problem as Nick. Can anyone tell me how this was resolved. Bought a new ignition switch and that didn't work.
Originally Posted by 95CustomMaxima
Wiggling the key does nothing... I've called everywhere and no one can get the switch until at least Tuesday.. If you could look in your FSM that would be great! I found a wrench that was laying in my engine bay right by the starter, I have no idea what is was doing there... I am now starting to believe it has something to do with that.. There were no arc marks on either the starter or wrench. I'm going to try looking at the starter relay next.. But I dont understand how that would affect the dash lights and such, but I dont know..
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Nick
Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 AM

There are many things that can keep the car from starting. What fixed one person's problem, may not fix yours. You found that out with the ignition switch.

Instead of throwing parts at the car, diagnose the problem. Here is a link to guide you.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...rt-thread.html
Old 09-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There are many things that can keep the car from starting. What fixed one person's problem, may not fix yours. You found that out with the ignition switch.

Instead of throwing parts at the car, diagnose the problem. Here is a link to guide you.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...rt-thread.html
After examining the car we noticed that one of the belts is missing. It's the one at the bottom near starter not sure what it's called. Could this be the problem? Also what is the name of this belt so I can get another one
Old 09-03-2017, 03:12 PM

Serpentine drive belt. It's the outer belt in this video. The video covers the power steering and serpentine drive belt.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RoroandRobin
After examining the car we noticed that one of the belts is missing. It's the one at the bottom near starter not sure what it's called. Could this be the problem? Also what is the name of this belt so I can get another one
Well, I guess I have to accept the fact that one of your belts is missing.

However, your statement "It's the one at the bottom near starter" is grossly inaccurate. The belts are on the passenger side of the car and the starter is on the driver side. Also, the starter is not at the bottom of the engine, it is about 3/4 of the way up.

You were looking at either the alternator or the air conditioning compressor.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:39 AM
Jcg
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a similar problem I turn the key and nothing happens , no dash lights , no cran

Originally Posted by klymkow
If wiggling the key around alittle bit in the switch does nothing, it's probably not the switch - especially if it's only 2 years old.

It could be relays, alarm system, fusible links. If you have an FSM, look under the starting system. I'll look and see what I can dig up.

I turn the key and nothing happens, no dash lights no crank , just the blinking security light , head lights work though
Old 01-27-2022, 11:29 AM
JvG

Is your car a 1999 model?

Does the radio work?

How about heater blower and wipers?

I'm asking all this for a reason.

Last edited by JvG; 01-27-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:12 PM
Jcg
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima

It's a 98 maxima
Old 01-29-2022, 12:22 PM
Jcg
Newbie - Just Registered

I was trying to tighten up the screws holding the ignition wires down opposite of the cylinder , I grounded out the screwdriver the engine then started to crank over like it was being "hotwired" I stoped , tried turning the key and nothing no dash lights to click nothing

Old 01-29-2022, 08:51 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Jcg
I was trying to tighten up the screws holding the ignition wires down opposite of the cylinder , I grounded out the screwdriver the engine then started to crank over like it was being "hotwired" I stoped , tried turning the key and nothing no dash lights to click nothing
Did the car stop running by its self all of a sudden?

Did you attempt a repair procedure of some kind, after which the car would not run?

We need more information.

A photo of which wires you are talking about would help.

We diagnose well given enough descriptive information.

It's ok to have Reverse Midas Touch. Lol.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:58 AM
Jcg
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
Did the car stop running by its self all of a sudden?

Did you attempt a repair procedure of some kind, after which the car would not run?

We need more information.

A photo of which wires you are talking about would help.

We diagnose well given enough descriptive information.

It's ok to have Reverse Midas Touch. Lol.
No I had just got the car running again replacing crank pos sensor,any way, I had always had a problem with the cylinder, I would turn the ignition to start position and nothing, it'd sometimes take 5- 10 tries till it would "catch" and turn over , well this time it didn't want to start at all , witch is why I was tightening those little screws holding the wires , on the other side of the cylinder I'll get pics soon
Old 01-30-2022, 02:55 PM
JvG

Ok.

So you are talking about the electrical portion of the ignition lock?

Those are known to fail. They act like you describe when they do.

They cost about 30 dollars.

Instructions are on the forum, or on youtube.

It's not difficult. Can be done in half an hour.