4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coils... I think I know why Hanshins Fail

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:54 AM
be the change u want2C

*Coils.. I think I know why Hanshins Fail *Pix Inside* Tested on How to repair Coil!*

Well after some investigating on the Hanshin Coil packs. I was like Hmmm. And I pulled it apart. Discovered a few things. The long tube that connects to the spark plug has a long thin spring. And at the base of the Coil is a metal connect that connects to the spring. Found some dirt in it. My freind is comming over with his digi cam right now. Will post pics soon. Im gonna clean it out and test it and see if Hanshins really do need replacing.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
be the change u want2C

Got the pix

Here is the coil seperated in three parts

and here is the Base of the coil. its kinna blurry but you can still see the dirt on the connecter.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:32 AM

So do you think if we all take them apart that we can fix them by just cleaning them off?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:41 AM

Clean it up, put it back, come back and post results.. This could be a breakthrough if.. you are right.. lol
Old 03-19-2005, 10:01 AM

Wow good work dawg
Old 03-19-2005, 10:06 AM

I really hope this is true, would definitely save me some money
Old 03-19-2005, 12:29 PM
be the change u want2C

Yeah, im waiting for my friend to come back from work. Then I will try. Man if this works, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 03-19-2005, 01:40 PM

any update on this yet ?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:40 PM
be the change u want2C

Update

Update**** Important Information concerning Money and Coils... (lol) Ok I tried cleaning it with a q-tip. That didnt work, Pulled out the dremel and got to workin. Cleaned off the durt and had a successfull install. The car is running better then before. But I still have to do this to all of the other coils. the coil in its before state was broken and created missfires. It was also a spare coil I had lying around and now I think its almost like new.

Caution and a warning this was only initial usage and driving around for 15 min.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:53 PM

I def. want to know about this too. I had posted a few days ago about hearing about coils being cleaned to good working order, but nobody answered. Good job! Def let us know about when you do all 6 how it comes out. Also, how do you take the coil packs apart? Are you cleaning a metal connection or something inside?
Old 03-19-2005, 06:59 PM

I recently came back from a NGK seminar sponsored by the char store I work for. Interestingly enough they began talking about the harm of replacing Platinum plugs for Copper plugs. Although the coppers allow for a better spark, it takes about 30% more effort to send this spark through the copper as opposed to the platinum, therefore over working the coil packs and frying them.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I couldn't get that spring back in the rubber boot, so I had to buy a new coil pack...

so the coppers produce a better spark? meaning a more powerful spark? but it is harder bridge the gap?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1qwkmax
I recently came back from a NGK seminar sponsored by the char store I work for. Interestingly enough they began talking about the harm of replacing Platinum plugs for Copper plugs. Although the coppers allow for a better spark, it takes about 30% more effort to send this spark through the copper as opposed to the platinum, therefore over working the coil packs and frying them.
Why take Joe Blow from NGK's word for it? Just test the resistance between platinum and copper.

There would have to be major difference between Hanshin and Mitsubishi coil packs. But I seriously doubt if there is.

This guy is probably on to something with the dirt getting in there. Probably all of us have it.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1qwkmax
Although the coppers allow for a better spark, it takes about 30% more effort to send this spark through the copper as opposed to the platinum, therefore over working the coil packs and frying them.
How is this possible if copper has less resistance than platinum?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Armelius
Why take Joe Blow from NGK's word for it? Just test the resistance between platinum and copper.

There would have to be major difference between Hanshin and Mitsubishi coil packs. But I seriously doubt if there is.

This guy is probably on to something with the dirt getting in there. Probably all of us have it.
as an aircraft mech. i see alot of problems with different things, and i see alot of different electrical problems all the time. here is the problem, alot of metals when cold as we know contract - causing loose connections - but in fly by wire systems we see that metals react differently in warm temps as opposed to cold ones. in the air flying you have a problem cause of a contact (cold) but when on ground and warm no problem. so i ask you, when hot what causes the most resistance (copper or the plat) test cold then test hot and use a mega ohmer as well.......not a fluke
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM

any new information in this at all? Did you get around to cleaning the other 5?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:06 PM

how do you take these apart at the stem like that? I feel like I am going to break something...
Old 03-20-2005, 07:26 PM

Okay guys- I did this today. I pulled all six packs. You need to just pull on the rubber boot. it WILL come off. I also thought I would break something but i didnt. it is merely held on by tension. I cleaned off all 6 internal connections. I actually used a little bit of metal polish on a q tip. When you pull the boot off, you will see that the inside will be tarnished and dirty . work the magic with the metal polish, wrights, brasso etc. I got all 6 inner connections MIRROR shiny- I also cleaned the coils with polish. Everything was gleaming. (MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL OF THE POLISH OUT) use another q tip moist with water to clean the residue off and then finaly use a dry one just to be extra safe. It was raining here in brooklyn today so I was unable to really hit the gas, But i would say that the car does feel like it has more pull in the lower registers. I'm definately glad I tried this.It makes perfect sense that a clean connection would produce a better spark, thus giving us more power. Now let me get this straight- the mitsubishi packs are sealed and that is the reason they dont fail? And the fact that the hanshins are two separate pieces, letting dirt build up in there is the reason why they fail? Whatever the case- go do this, you have nothing to lose. BTW Michaelnyden, what happened that you could not get the coil back into the boot?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:28 PM
be the change u want2C

Well the part is rubber so it came off easily. Just twist first then pull. Im gonna do the rest of the coils tommorow when I do my oil change.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:32 PM

does anybody have a price quote on the coil packs and how do u know u have to change them???
Old 03-20-2005, 07:50 PM

I was changing my plugs and one of springs got stuck on the top of the spark plug...long story short, I was pulling on it trying to get it off the spark plug and the spring stayed on the plug and came out of the rubber tube (I guess you would call it)...it guess that pulling deformed the spring or the spring is an exact fit and is not meant to be taken out....anyway, couldn't twist it or slide it back in so I had to replace that coil....
Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 PM

Im going to check this out now next weekend, my car has been stumbling a bit and I think its a coil. Good ol spring break gives me lots of time to work on the car and get her cleaned up. A nice wax after this terrible winter. But ill post my experience when im done cleaning the coils.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:48 PM
be the change u want2C

I wish somone expierenced would post about this. Maybe the actual parts inside fail also, I have no clue.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM

UPDATE
The rain has dried up here so I was able to let her out just now. All I can say is "HOLD ON TIGHT" I thought I had torque steer before, now its crazy. Polish those Coil Packs people. Make sure that the metal contact is refelctive when you are done and your max will reward you.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
be the change u want2C

hehehe you guys owe me e-props
Old 03-20-2005, 10:54 PM

you definetly deserve props
Old 03-20-2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by memphis_sktr
you definetly deserve props
Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
be the change u want2C

^ ~eh lette'm get his post count up is what I say
Old 03-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
hehehe you guys owe me e-props
Awesome....this should be a STICKY.....this will be my spring break project =P

Im really surprised this wasn't discovered earlier but nevertheless good job!! PROPS!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
What does this supposed to mean. That it is weird for a "newbie" to give props to someone. I may be a "newbie" but you really don't know me personally. So anyways, frome a "newbie" in the org. PROPS.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by memphis_sktr
What does this supposed to mean. That it is weird for a "newbie" to give props to someone. I may be a "newbie" but you really don't know me personally. So anyways, frome a "newbie" in the org. PROPS.
dude- all that i meant when i posted was that I aggree that he deserves some props. I took his advice and did it to my car. The sign held is WERD- not WEIRD. And I could give a rats @ss about post counts. Took Nino's advice- did the job- and I am happy with the resluts. Nuff said.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:45 PM

im not giving props to anyone just yet. There still is NO proof that it will fix our coilpack problems, just because one guy says that it "pulls" harder, does not mean it actually worked. Someone get a CEL for a coilpack, clean it, reset ECU, and than tell us if it comes back or not. If the CEL does not come back, that is when i give props, but untill than i think props should not be issued yet.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:51 PM

sweet deal, ill jump on the I-94 and give you a big kiss if this saves me sweet cash!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
dude- all that i meant when i posted was that I aggree that he deserves some props. I took his advice and did it to my car. The sign held is WERD- not WEIRD. And I could give a rats @ss about post counts. Took Nino's advice- did the job- and I am happy with the resluts. Nuff said.
MY BAD ABOUT THAT. NOT TOO GOOD IN ENGLISH CLASS.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:59 PM

...6th gen weights more, tahts all.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 PM
^ Jeff™

This was my concern as well...it seemed as the weather got more humid here in Texas that I would have a consistent misfire on one of my coil packs a long time ago. I ended up replacing it though. I would be willing to bet certain batches of the Hanshins are not sealed as well as others and this lets moisture/dirt in.

If any more of mine go out I will check it out.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:44 PM

what else can we use? alcohol? air intake cleaner? pcb/electrical cleaner (radio shack)....?

are they as easy to get back 2gether as take apart?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
what else can we use? alcohol? air intake cleaner? pcb/electrical cleaner (radio shack)....?

are they as easy to get back 2gether as take apart?
you need to get some metal polish to get the crap off. Yes the go back on, even easier
Old 03-21-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ilyaat
...6th gen weights more, tahts all.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Hella internets

Would us early 95 drivers benefit from this? im gona try to take em apart tonight and do this

Quick Reply: Coils... I think I know why Hanshins Fail