4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New EGR valve and Check Engine light is on again!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 PM

New EGR valve and Check Engine light is on again!!

I just had my EGR valve replaced, with a new Nissan EGR valve, about a month ago and this past Friday the check engine light went on again. I got so p*ssed that I went out and bought an inexpensive code scanner and found out what it's complaining about. The 2 codes are P0400 and P0325. The P0400 code states "EGR function." Possible causes are EGR valve stuck open, closed or leaking, passage obstructed, EGR and canister control solenoid valve, tube leaking for EGR valve vacuum, EGRC-BPT valve leaking. The P0325 code states "knock sensor circuit." Possible causes are harness or connectors(the sensor circuit is open or shorted, knock sensor.

Any ideas??
Old 04-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Kevlo for President

Maybe your EGR-BPT is bad, I am pretty sure mine is too. I trip the CEL about once every 1-2 months.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:33 PM

Anybody ever replace an EGRC-BPT valve?? What does the part cost?? Also, how often do knock sensors go bad?? I located my knock sensor, but I'm not sure I want to tackle that job due to the location of the sensor.

Where is the EGR Control Solenoid Valve located?? If anybody has any pictures for the location of this valve, please post them. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 AM

I had the exact same problem as you..I replaced EGR valve and BPT valve..still CEL..Finally EGR solenoid valve was replaced..CEL free for almost a year now.

check this thread for info:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=357902

also:
http://img52.photobucket.com/albums/v158/evilBIGD/EGR/
Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 AM

That exactly what mines was.. The egr solenoid has a plastic end on it that is prone to breaking after time. Its on the right side of your end on the battery side. If you have a stock intake set up it would be under the black plastic tube that connects to the front of your car. You can also follow the hoses to it from the EGR valve. Its pretty small and it has 3 hoses that connect to it. It should be aluminum color and has a green end on it.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 AM

I saw something similiar to what you described, but I found that to be the Absolute Pressure sensor.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 AM

http://photobucket.com/albums/v158/e...s_location.jpg
Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 AM

I just called 2 dealers to get a price on the EGRC solenoid valve. One wants $171.67 and the other wants $71.11. Which one is correct?? I think the first one gave a price on the EGR valve itself!!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Make sure your solenoid hoses aren't switched up.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 AM

I went to the dealer for the parts...EGRC__67.98, EGR__104.98, hose 2.00 (just in case), KS 135.00. I installed them all...the KS was a bit hairy but got it in. EGR was a snap, took some time though to unloosen the nut(s) and bolts. EGRC was not hard either, just cut the tubing (thats where the extra tubing costs comes in) and reinstall.
Parts total: 309.96 Labor: 0 Stealership: Respect for the parts, Actual labor 60.00 per hour.

There are diagrams here that will show you exactly how to install, where to find them, and sometimes good deals from other users.

Have fun.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The knock sensor code is coming up because the EGR system isn't working correctly.
Fixing the EGR issue will most likely stop the KS code from coming back.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM

It shouldnt be more then a $100.00 I think he priced out the EGR valve. I purchased mine last week. It was around $83.00.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:51 PM

I picked up my new EGRC Solenoid valve, bought some new hose, removed the old valve, cut 2 new lengths of hose, installed new valve and found out that the plug will not fit on the new valve!! After wrestling with the plug for about 10 minutes, I decided to remove the new valve and compare it to the old one. They are exactly the same except for the electrical connection. The old one has a black socket and the new one has a green socket. Both sockets are keyed so the plug only fits on one way. Well, the key locations are slightly different making it impossible to fit the plug onto the new valve!!! So now I have to go back to the dealer, armed with the old and new parts and ask what happened. Are there different part numbers for this valve??

Now, the wife and I have to carpool tomorrow while the car sits in the drive!!

Why can't this do-it-yourself stuff be easier!!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had an EGR issue, and it was the EGR solenoid. It just stopped functioning electrically.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:20 AM

I went back to the dealer and showed him the old valve I removed and the new valve he sold me yesterday. He told me that there are 2 valves on my car that look exactly alike, but he couldn't tell me the locations. I would have to ask "service." From the diagrams here on this forum, the EGRC solenoid valve is on the right-front side of the engine. PRPmax stated that it was near the battery. I'll have to look again.

P.S. The Nissan part number is 14956-31u10 Valve assy-sole.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:49 AM

got mine from the dealer for 95 took me 5 mins to swap out and no more cel for me
Old 04-06-2005, 09:38 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Just remove it. EGR is overrated.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by jobell
I went back to the dealer and showed him the old valve I removed and the new valve he sold me yesterday. He told me that there are 2 valves on my car that look exactly alike, but he couldn't tell me the locations. I would have to ask "service." From the diagrams here on this forum, the EGRC solenoid valve is on the right-front side of the engine. PRPmax stated that it was near the battery. I'll have to look again.

P.S. The Nissan part number is 14956-31u10 Valve assy-sole.

If you follow along the right side of the engine (battery side) You'll see 3 hoses connected into it. I should be aluminum color with green and have a green wire clip attatched to it. I wish I had my digital camera with me so I could show you exactly.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:08 PM

If you need I can take a picture of it tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:32 AM

Thanks, but I finally found it yesterday after taking a 2nd look. I re-installed the other valve and installed the real EGRC solenoid valve. One thing though, how the h*ll did you get the nut off of the bottom of that valve?? I couldn't even get a small wrench in there!!! I even tried bending the metal piece that it was connected to. I ended up just disconnecting everything from the old valve, cut longer lengths of vacuum hose, connected the new valve to all of the connections and used cable ties to mount it to a nearby hose!! Connected my scan tool, cleared the codes and fired it up. Now I'll have to keep an eye on the check engine light for awhile. Thanks to everyone that helped me locate this part.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 AM

I changed my EGRC over the weekend. There is a 10mm nut that can only be accessed with a short wrench. That's how I did it and be careful with the nut, as it can fall and dissapear forever.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:31 AM

Well done Jobell, hopefully CEL will not return.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jobell
Thanks, but I finally found it yesterday after taking a 2nd look. I re-installed the other valve and installed the real EGRC solenoid valve. One thing though, how the h*ll did you get the nut off of the bottom of that valve?? I couldn't even get a small wrench in there!!! I even tried bending the metal piece that it was connected to. I ended up just disconnecting everything from the old valve, cut longer lengths of vacuum hose, connected the new valve to all of the connections and used cable ties to mount it to a nearby hose!! Connected my scan tool, cleared the codes and fired it up. Now I'll have to keep an eye on the check engine light for awhile. Thanks to everyone that helped me locate this part.
Is that the same code as P1400, if so did you see a decrease in gas mileage.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 AM

I used a small flex socket wrench. Its a lot easier to take it off when the transmission bell housing isn't in the way. I did what you did till I was able to get some time to take off the old one the right way.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:36 PM

i got the P1400 Code EGR valve solenoid does this effect in the performance of the car or it's just for emission i been also having bad gas mileage is it the green one i'm suppose to replace cause as i know it has 3 color
Old 04-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Reaction021
i got the P1400 Code EGR valve solenoid does this effect in the performance of the car or it's just for emission i been also having bad gas mileage is it the green one i'm suppose to replace cause as i know it has 3 color

It does effect performance, not as much as it effects the emissions and gas mileage.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 PM

can someone take a pic and post them up so i can see exactly where it's located is there only 1 EGRC-Solenoid Valve cause i called up the dealer today the guy told me there was 3 correct me if i'm wrong
Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 AM

I just went thru this a few days ago on my car. I don't know about '96s, but on my 95, I had to remove that black box that sits on top of the air intake. The EGRC solenoid valve has a green electrical connector and 3 vacuum connections on it. One vacuum connection on one end and 2 on the other end. It's not positioned up and down; it's laying down and that makes it hard to locate. If you look at where the gas pedal cables connect to the throttle body, then look straight down from there. That should get you close to where the EGRC is.

Another thing; the valve is mounted with a nut underneath of it. I couldn't get to it, but other's have. If you read my previous post, you can see what I did!! Good luck.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:01 AM

just stop by the dealer today for the EGRC-Solenoid Valve he told me there was 3 of them which one should i be getting the scanner didn't really tell me which one to get it just gave me Code P1400 EGRC-Solenoid Valve any help would be greatly appreciate
Old 04-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here and thought I would share (EGR)

Wow my first post on Maxima.org! I just went through about two days of hell taking the EGR valve off of my wife’s 99 Maxima! Of course the reason for this was because the check engine light was on and a check showed that it was the EGR valve that was acting up. I searched this site as well as I could (without the aid of the search function) and then tackled the job.

I just finished it up today and took her for a test drive. Light is still on but I think that it will stay on until I can get it to Auto Zone so they can clear the code. Other than that the car ran good. By the way I think I may have taken off more bolts and unhooked more things than I really had too. But, what the hey, I had never done this before so I was kind of going at it blind.

I will let you guys know how it goes after I get back from Auto Zone. By the way can anyone recommend a good affordable scanner that I could purchase for checking the codes myself?

Update:
On the way back home the check engine light came on and blinked for about 30 seconds and went back off. I also bought a scanner so the next time I will be able to do the scan myself

Old 04-11-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Georgia Flash
Wow my first post on Maxima.org! I just went through about two days of hell taking the EGR valve off of my wife’s 99 Maxima! Of course the reason for this was because the check engine light was on and a check showed that it was the EGR valve that was acting up. I searched this site as well as I could (without the aid of the search function) and then tackled the job.

I just finished it up today and took her for a test drive. Light is still on but I think that it will stay on until I can get it to Auto Zone so they can clear the code. Other than that the car ran good. By the way I think I may have taken off more bolts and unhooked more things than I really had too. But, what the hey, I had never done this before so I was kind of going at it blind.

I will let you guys know how it goes after I get back from Auto Zone. By the way can anyone recommend a good affordable scanner that I could purchase for checking the codes myself?
Update:
On the way back home the check engine light came on and blinked for about 30 seconds and went back off. I also bought a scanner so the next time I will be able to do the scan myself

unfortunately your problem might not be resolved, check this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&page=1&pp=30
Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your Cel May Come On Again!

I have fixed several 95-99 Maximas with a EGR problem and it was not the EGR valve. I found that the metal tube between the EGR valve and intake manifold was completely clogged with carbon. After removing the tube and cleaning with carb cleaner, the CEL never came on again. Hope this helps!
Old 04-16-2005, 05:37 PM

Make sure you check to see that the EGR solenoid is actually faulty before replacing.

I have the 0302 code. I check and there was no vacuum coming from the BPT to the EGR valve. I went ahead and replaced the EGR solenoid. The code came back again. After testing the solenoid, it seems to be working fine. I also removed, tested, and cleaned the EGR valve... which is working fine. I finally removed the BPT valve and tested it. It seems to be faulty. I will be replacing it as soon as I can purchase one. I hoping this will solve the problem once and for all!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could you clarify the tube you are referring to?

Originally Posted by bigmike747
I have fixed several 95-99 Maximas with a EGR problem and it was not the EGR valve. I found that the metal tube between the EGR valve and intake manifold was completely clogged with carbon. After removing the tube and cleaning with carb cleaner, the CEL never came on again. Hope this helps!
Hey BigMike,

Are you referring to the tube that is attached with 4 bolts (two at the top and two at the bottom) that also has a sensor attached at the top? Does the sensor have to be removed to remove the tube for cleaning? My Max is a 1999 gen 4. Many thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM

i had those same codes. when i removed my intake manifold to do my valve cover gaskets i noticed that the EGR guide tube was completely clogged. there is a sensor attached to it. i did this a while back but i think you can remove the EGR guide tube without removing the manifold. you might want to check it out cuz that turned off my check engine light. it took about two days for the light to go away.
good luck!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:35 PM
pei

except the egr did you think about oxygen sensors, its very important to effect check engine light.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by cdmarsh
Hey BigMike,

Are you referring to the tube that is attached with 4 bolts (two at the top and two at the bottom) that also has a sensor attached at the top? Does the sensor have to be removed to remove the tube for cleaning? My Max is a 1999 gen 4. Many thanks in advance.
Yes. That is the correct tube. You need to clean out that tube and also clean out the plenum port where that tube connects to it. That port will also be clogged.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by blkmaxz95
I went to the dealer for the parts...EGRC__67.98, EGR__104.98, hose 2.00 (just in case), KS 135.00. I installed them all...the KS was a bit hairy but got it in. EGR was a snap, took some time though to unloosen the nut(s) and bolts. EGRC was not hard either, just cut the tubing (thats where the extra tubing costs comes in) and reinstall.
Parts total: 309.96 Labor: 0 Stealership: Respect for the parts, Actual labor 60.00 per hour.

There are diagrams here that will show you exactly how to install, where to find them, and sometimes good deals from other users.

Have fun.
Has anyone seen the kind of diagram he is talking about?

And isn't "unloosening" the same as tightening...??? I need to clean the EGR valve, but I can't seem to locate it using the diagram I have. Anyone?
Old 07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/evilBIGD/EGR/
Old 07-01-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The knock sensor code is coming up because the EGR system isn't working correctly.
Fixing the EGR issue will most likely stop the KS code from coming back.
njmaxseltd- i'm interested in hearing more about this. You always give good advice, but this one sounds a bit, uhhmmm, "interesting??"

Quick Reply: New EGR valve and Check Engine light is on again!!