4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front Sway Bar or bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM

Front Sway Bar or bushings

so...i've heard a lot about suspension n sway bars. but never really nething about front sway bars or links or whatever. i'm lowered on coilovers n have a strut bar. i have a sway bar sitting in my tunk because i'm afraid that i'll fishtail if i take a turn too hard since i've heard taht its kinda bad for a lowered car to have a sway bar since it'll make hte back too stiff. but then i believe that i've also read that if you put a front sway bar or a front link on it'll be fine with the rear sway bar with D2 coilovers. if anyone knows that putting on a front sway bar with a rear sway bar will be good and if it'll still cause the back end to slide out. n if anyone knows who makes a good front sway bar or link n point me to that direction would be cool. i checked stillen, cattman, n paradox n has no front sway bars or nething..someone hlelp please!!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Even if you don't have an adjustable bar, there are ways to mount the rear sway bar without it having as big an effect on your car. I'd try putting on the rear bar and if it's much of a handful to drive, you can always take it off.

With a Maxima though, it should be pretty easy to catch those tailslides, so I wouldn't really be worried even if you go sideways.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 AM

but the only thing is, i can turn pretty quick already. if i put on the sway bar, n it'll only make it worse, there's no reason for me to put it on. its just kinda dumb to put something one that will only make the car worse. i have the addco rear sway bar, i know that they make front sway bars or links or what not. does anyone know?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
but the only thing is, i can turn pretty quick already. if i put on the sway bar, n it'll only make it worse, there's no reason for me to put it on. its just kinda dumb to put something one that will only make the car worse. i have the addco rear sway bar, i know that they make front sway bars or links or what not. does anyone know?
Ive never really seen an aftermarket performance fstb for our cars. I know that Energy Supensions sells polyurethane bushings for your front end suspension. Also Ive never even heard of fishtailing when having the rstb. I always thought it was a good thing to have to avoid when going over bumps, it wanting to tail out....
Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 AM

our cars come with front sway bar from factory , and upgrading to thicker one will only make the car understeer even worse. ES makes sway bar endlinks and sway bar frame bushings , they give slightly better steering response ( quicker in high speed lane changes) but the trade off is increased ride harshnes ( twichy and nervous ) steering wheel.

Nick.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 AM

so.....should i put this thing on or not...i'm just afraid i'd hit the side of the curb n damage something if i do slide out...sliding out isn't fun at all..n i dun wanna slide out.... btw, i can turn faster than now with the rear sway bar correct?? like when i push it to the limit, i'm going to slide out.. but the limit will still be more than i am now correct?? n if the front sway bar creates more understeer, thats also good cause it will conteract the oversteer caused by the rear sway bar. but it is only good if the conteraction only improves the speed of being able to go aroudn a turn.

scenario, if i'm going 50 mph now at a limit on a turn, i can still go 50mph with the rear sway bar correct??
Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 4thgenx42
Ive never really seen an aftermarket performance fstb for our cars. I know that Energy Supensions sells polyurethane bushings for your front end suspension. Also Ive never even heard of fishtailing when having the rstb. I always thought it was a good thing to have to avoid when going over bumps, it wanting to tail out....
Just a minor nitpick, as it might possibly cause some confusion - FSTB and RSTB are front/rear strut tower bars, FSB and RSB are the front/rear sway bars the topic is about.

They may sound interchangeable, but they are different.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM

bump cause i dun wanna fishtail out...-= 0..where are all the suspension people?!?!?!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:32 PM

dude , if you slam you car on coilovers and install Rear Sway Bar , you are increasing the risk of fishtailing.

I've spun out with Sprint springs and KYB AGX struts on stock SE rims, after that I took the bar off and sold it.

Nick.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:36 PM

this is basically what i want to know. if the limit of my car going around a turn is 50mph , meaning 51 mph will cause me to slide out. will adding the sway bar cause me to slide out before 50mph or later?? thanks!!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by pmohr
Just a minor nitpick, as it might possibly cause some confusion - FSTB and RSTB are front/rear strut tower bars, FSB and RSB are the front/rear sway bars the topic is about.

They may sound interchangeable, but they are different.
I'd call this a big nitpick. Good call pointing it out!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:09 AM

It all depends on how you handle your car, how wide the turn is, and other random factors. That is like saying you don't want RWD because you can fishtail at 50 MPH ... if you know what you are doing you can use the loss of traction in rear tires to your advantage. But then again it can always go sour. If you were going auto-x then I would definately have one because there is no way you can make turns without the ebrake or slowing down, but this effect would be reduced with a RSB.

It is definately not recommended for the common A-B driver.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 AM

scrhale. Sliding a little is one thing, but whether you actually spin out depends on technique, road conditions, tires, springs, shocks....

Unless someone gets to it first, I'll get back to this thread later when I have time to forumate a real recommendation.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 AM

hymmm....so bascially this bar is going to sit at my house until i go autocrossing like mabe once a year??? hymm......i drive about 100+ miles a day. soo.....yea..well time to wax my car since i haven't in ilke 7 months..heh..but i have been using very good soap that feels as if i waxed it....its the gliptone soap, pinkish/orangish that is like maple syrup thick...thanks guys..hope someone can tell me if its a good idea or not
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 AM

whats the difference between a power slide and a spin out, uh thats if the driver can regain control/maitain it. so the only diffeference between the two is like what you were trying to contradict. its not like your driving on ice or something, you just have to turn into it, and keep trying, giving up is the worst possible thing to do
Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 AM

Supposedly it is uncomfortable at high speeds ... like 80+ because your back end can come loose if you switch lanes really fast or something. So if you have a lead foot and drive 100+ miles a day I guess I wouldn't advice using it unless you go auto-x
Old 08-09-2005, 10:41 AM

thanks.....i drive a lot mainly not cause i want to sometimes, but my gr/f lives like 10 miles, n then i go there to pick her up bring her back to my friends n then drop her off n then come back to my house, thats already 40 miles. n school each way for me is 36 miles....n work is another 25 miles....sooooyea.....but i guess i'm going to leave the sway bar off or i might sell it. if anyone's interested, hit me up, i don't think i'm gonna post this is the for sale forum tho...since i just buoght the damn thing..
Old 08-09-2005, 11:31 AM

Here's the thing.

Having a sway bar keeps both wheels on the ground because it makes them not want to move separately. That's good, because you get more traction. In gradual maneuvers, breakaway should be more gradual because both wheels will be forced either to grip together or slip together, and it'll take more to break them loose.

One effect of having the rear be so much stiffer is that it forces the front end to do more of the work. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but basically, since the rear will now resist cornering loads, more of the load will be on the front. That's how a rear sway bar helps limit understeer.

The problem with a sway bar is in quick maneuvers, or hitting a bump in the middle of a turn. If you apply enough force to one wheel -- either upward (big bump) or sideways (HARD corner), both will move, and both will slip.

If you're a really good driver, oversteer is better than understeer because if you can control it, at least you'll be getting somewhere. If that's you, you can tune the front for as much grip as possible (IMPORTANT in a FWD car) by softening/removing the front swaybar and stiffening the rear end (springs and sway bar). That will give you excellent turn-in and response, and let you put your power down effectively at the exit of a corner.

If you're not as good of a driver, you can still get a great benefit in handling and feel with a rear sway bar. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine.

If you're scared of oversteer, then don't bother. I'm sure you'll live.