4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possible water in engine.. not pulling hard at all!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Go Hokies!!

Possible water in engine.. not pulling hard at all!?

Hey guys,

I successfully installed my knock sensor for my 99 cali spec, and cleaned the grounds also yesterday. Quite a job, but got it done. Problem is, it started to rain towards the end of the job, and some of the intake parts may have gotten a bit wet, and when I put everything back together, they still may have been a bit wet, along with my K&N panel filter..

The first time I started the car up, it revved pretty high right away, maybe like 3k RPM's, then went down to maybe 2k, then quickly shot back up to around 2.5k, then came down a little, then slowly came to a rest at a normal idle range. I started driving, and at over 3k rpm's, I could feel the car really lagging a lot, very noticeable. Under 3k seemed to be fine. Anyone know what problem these symptoms can be associated with?

So I let the car sit overnight, I took it out this morning, and it seemed to work nearly perfectly, pulled very hard (up until about 5k RPM's, then I could feel it start to lag a bit) in every gear. But just 15 minutes later of driving, the lagging started to occur again after 3k rpm's, and has stayed like that for the whole day today.

Does anyone think I may have gotten some water in my engine? Maybe if I let the car sit for a while it'll get a little better? As of right now, when I start the car, it still does that jumpy thing, but not nearly as bad as the first time I started the car. It revs itself to about 2k, then back to 1.5k, then jumps up a bit again, then settles down <1k rpm quickly. Also note, I have not cleared my ECU for the KS yet, but that shouldn't be what's causing this, right?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks a lot.

Dan
Old 08-09-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

a little water will not hurt the motor. perhaps there is an electrical issue that needs to be addressed. did you remember to plug in every wire? Did you disconnect the IACV?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:16 PM
99Automagic

Fade-

I may have experienced the same symptom. Not as extreme like in your case, but I did notice my car does idle a bit higher now that the ks has been replaced, during startup that is. People might say this is normal since the engine is trying to reach normal operating temps, but it's definately different since the swap. Until the car warms up, the idle will stay up a bit longer and hold when I blip the gas. I haven't experienced the lag you mentioned, so I couldn't comment on that. Besided the higher idle, the car seems to be running pretty well.

This is just a theory but, have you cleaned your TB? I did it right after I did my ks. Probably has nothing to do with the problem. But it could be that the throttle plate is moving more freely now since all the gunk was removed, and now is operating the way it was intended to be.

One more thing I was thinking of. You know that swirl control actuator, that round thing we had to move to get at our ks. That thing kicks in at around 3k rpm to let more air into the engine. I'm wondering if yours is stuck. maybe moving it after all these yrs did something to it? Move it around and make sure it has the full range of motion it's supposed to have.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 PM

If there is water in the engine, running it will blow it out, or if it was in the oil, you should change the oil & filter. But your problem doesn't see like water in the engine.

And the biggest question is what the hell were you doing with water around an open engine?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you end up having to take off the intake manifold to get to the knock sensor on your cali spec?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:05 PM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by A Flood99
did you end up having to take off the intake manifold to get to the knock sensor on your cali spec?

Nope. It looked impossible to do without removing the IM at first glance, but both fadeaway and myself have done them in the past couple of weeks. Here's a link to a thread that may be of some help.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=315851

Good luck man. Have patience and it can be done.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Go Hokies!!

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
Nope. It looked impossible to do without removing the IM at first glance, but both fadeaway and myself have done them in the past couple of weeks. Here's a link to a thread that may be of some help.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=315851

Good luck man. Have patience and it can be done.
Yep, no need to take out the manifold. There's just an extra bit of frustration for 99 cali's, since there is absolutely no way anyone can fit their hand through the hole of death. There's some metal linkage in the way (even after you move the actuator out of the way). Instead of using a coat hanger (which was actually pissing me off ( ), I used a mechanical claw thing from home depot, the really long ones. After much frustration, I finally got it.

And yeah, finally figured out my lag/idle problems. I just didn't have that swirl control actuator positioned tight enough. Thanks for suggesting that! I just thought it was some useless emissions crap. Car runs perfect now. Off to reset the ECU now.

[QUOTE=ryant35]If there is water in the engine, running it will blow it out, or if it was in the oil, you should change the oil & filter. But your problem doesn't see like water in the engine.

Thanks again.