4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake Air sensor

Old 11-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Intake Air sensor

Im wondering what happens when This sensor goes bad? what type of symtoms does it cause? I checked my ecu for codes because of some fuel problems and got this code and the knock sensor code also. Well I have a 32,000 mile dek so i guess the codes just came together, but the iat sensor is from my olk de motor. Also the only way to check my codes is with a scan tool. It will not flash the CEL when I try manualy. but the CEL does work I get the P0600 Code too. How do I fix that code so i can check manualy?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 PM

Did you try simply replacing the sensor? That could be all there is too it. Hopefully nothing big.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Did you try simply replacing the sensor? That could be all there is too it. Hopefully nothing big.
yes it will be monday before i can replace it. Its about 177 at a to z. Im jsut wondrering what pepple have found them to do when they mess up.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:33 PM

Oh ok. $177 is crazy. Good luck with it tho.

Hey did you check the classifieds? You could find a cheap one there I'm sure. At least in good enough shape to see if that will fix the problem.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Licensed to Spell

When I need used parts, I contact fanaticrock. He's really cool, he has countless parts cars, and his prices are great. Good luck. Remember the AIT sensor has different connections for different years.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:52 PM

I've had a chance to poke around on Motor Alldata (thats a real-time update manufacturer database for cars) about our cars and the air intake temp sensor was one of those dubious components I just had to research, so here is what I found out... Basically the ECU uses the MAF sensor as the primary intake temperature sensor and the air intake temp sensor (tampon-esque module that sticks into the stock air intake path beneath the airbox) is just a secondary signal which is compared to the main signal to calculate the input reading. It's basically our car's appendix and can be replaced with a 2.5 (I have to double-check to be certain...) ohm resistor to always factor in a cool temperature signal. I would not pay $177 for one. The real problem is that you probably need to do an Auto-rx crankcase clean and maybe a new fuel filter or knock sensor, but then again I dont know all the details in your particular case. Keep us informed on your results!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by L0R1DA
I've had a chance to poke around on Motor Alldata (thats a real-time update manufacturer database for cars) about our cars and the air intake temp sensor was one of those dubious components I just had to research, so here is what I found out... Basically the ECU uses the MAF sensor as the primary intake temperature sensor and the air intake temp sensor (tampon-esque module that sticks into the stock air intake path beneath the airbox) is just a secondary signal which is compared to the main signal to calculate the input reading. It's basically our car's appendix and can be replaced with a 2.5 (I have to double-check to be certain...) ohm resistor to always factor in a cool temperature signal. I would not pay $177 for one. The real problem is that you probably need to do an Auto-rx crankcase clean and maybe a new fuel filter or knock sensor, but then again I dont know all the details in your particular case. Keep us informed on your results!
what do you mean? It could mess up my knock sensor.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:37 PM

what do you mean? It could mess up my knock sensor.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:24 PM

Well my car now is going really rich under any type of throttle other than maybe lees than 10% throttle. It will go into the 10 and 9's in air fuel on my wideband and the car is slugish. Not less than 10% throttle it will be around 14.7 Although i did catch my car ideling the other day at like 11.1 and the fuel pump you could hear it screeming. Will the intake sensor cause problems like this?