4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Wow I've been reading all your posts and I'm still scratching my head
You've got a complex problem haha

But the only thing that have been bothering me is that ONE Bosch spark plug, which might be the cause of the knock.

Also I agree with Pmohr I remembered reading a lot about failing coil packs causing the same problems.

This is painfully obvious but has the car been filled with 91 Octane gas, lower octane will probably not cause a knock for you to notice but its worth a shot checking.

I filled it first time with 87 and decarbonizer soon after then added 10 gallons of Shell 91 to fill it up the last time and still doing it. Who knows what that guy prior to me put in it but I wanted it clean(er).

I purchased a few coil packs from MOHF in the sale forums. Hopefully here in 2 days. Only 1 rear new coming but I can play find the faulty coil.

I've seen it posted before about disconnecting coil packs from the wiring to see if its the coil but is that good for the system and my health/safety? Since the missing was happening much more this morning it may be easier to diagnose which of the coils is dead or dying, if any are at all.

I may take off the KS just to see if it's cracked in any form. I'll scour car parts for cheap ones if I can grab it then it'll get replaced but from reading about the sensor it really doesn't matter. Retarding the timing wouldn't cause any misfire issues even if I'm running 87 unleaded, correct? The retardation (if any right now) is just a safety measure if the computer thinks that the KS is out as far as I've read. In fact, the KS retards the timing period if it is knocking at all.

Last edited by bushd; 07-06-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
Your using that AWD system from the GT-R right...thats so easy to do, it all bolts right in.
Of course, R35 AWD FTW, it's just that the overflow tube hits the headers on my LS6. Might have to swap back to the B18 to correct that, and I liked the massive amounts of torque anyway.

Originally Posted by bushd
Seems my car shakes more now and when at lower (sub-1000) rpms.

A general question kind of related to my current issues:

When the ECU spits a knock code that doesn't mean its dead necessarily, it could be tripped from serious knocking?

If the ECU self diag spits a knock and I reset it, I fixed said issue, would the OBD ii spit the knock code too? OBD ii only read a knock code and not the other that self-diag. did. The self-diag isn't showing knock since I reset it and fixed the issue. Issue was leaving the coil pack unplugged.
The only way I'm aware of that a KS code can be thrown is for a bad circuit, or bad signal. IIRC it won't throw the code if it detects knock, but not certain on that.

So the OBD-II reader wasn't reading any code other than the KS? That's...interesting.

90% of the time, an OBD-II scan and the ECU self-diagnosis should read exactly the same. There have been a few reported incidents of them differing, though.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM

pmohr you mentioned grabbing coils from junkyards but is that a luck of the draw or are you testing them on site somehow? I mean besides sticking them in your car, if that is the case.

If you clear the ECU how long does it give before a cel will light again for the same issue? I got 0201 and 0304 or 0403 (whichever is the knock) I can't remember. I plugged in the coil that in my rush to get to work I forgot to plug in, cleared the ECU and haven't had the cel turn on again. Those two tripped the cel after I left the coil pack unplugged. Autozone OBD ii showed only one code for KS. I think I checked the ECU diag. again and got nothing but I'll try it again later to see if KS shows up.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
No more Maximas...

pmohr you mentioned grabbing coils from junkyards but is that a luck of the draw or are you testing them on site somehow? I mean besides sticking them in your car, if that is the case.

If you clear the ECU how long does it give before a cel will light again for the same issue? I got 0201 and 0304 or 0403 (whichever is the knock) I can't remember. I plugged in the coil that in my rush to get to work I forgot to plug in, cleared the ECU and haven't had the cel turn on again. Those two tripped the cel after I left the coil pack unplugged. Autozone OBD ii showed only one code for KS. I think I checked the ECU diag. again and got nothing but I'll try it again later to see if KS shows up.
I don't bother testing them since in most cases they're most likely fine. Most yards have a short warranty period, though.

0304 is KS, and it won't light the CEL. A so called 'ghost code'.

As far as the CEL relighting for the same issue, depends on what it is. If it's a 'hard' error, like a component completely failed or unplugged, then usually after one drive cycle. If for something else that takes a while, like an EVAP system leak, EGR flow, etc, then it could take quite a while.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Some new things have happened. Waiting on coils to be shipped (paid for 2nd day priority from USPS) and a cel hit when I was near home. I was hoping finally it would tell me which cylinder the coil was going out on. Actually what I got back was 0302 and 0304. EGR is high or low and KS. Would a misfiring/dying coil cause the EGR to have issues since it is dumping gas? My guess is the EGR would be low if that was the case as there is less gas and more liquid entering exhaust from cylinders.

Really starting to misfire/shake now and I think the performance is starting to take a hit, noticable atleast.

It could be an egr obstruction and I was planning on cleaning the TB tonight but it seems to be getting late and if I was going that far I'd hit the EGR, maf, etc. Any idea on time for dismantling and reassembly for cleaning?

Any ideas on whether the EGR could be the result of the bad coil and whether I should be ignoring this until the coils get here?

Last edited by bushd; 07-06-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
The LS6, by far. I'd go with an LS7 swap myself, but it's cost prohibitive.

Although if you like torque, the B18 is the way to go.
I thought you were supposed to be nice to the noobs in the noobie post

Though, I agree, the B18 is a torque monster.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM

es Motor mount alternative??

Does anyone know the measurements of the Energy Suspension motor mounts for the 4th gens? would any of these be close enough?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by asand1
Does anyone know the measurements of the Energy Suspension motor mounts for the 4th gens? would any of these be close enough?
Motor mount inserts are 3 or 4", IIRC (auto vs manual front). Those aren't anywhere near large enough.

...why not just buy the correct ones?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM

My MM are totally shot and im on a budget with a family and MM's are at the bottom of my list of priorities right now.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by asand1
My MM are totally shot and im on a budget with a family and MM's are at the bottom of my list of priorities right now.
Then either don't worry about them for now, or just get some stock replacements on eBay. Can get a whole set for ~$100.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
No more Maximas...

I may take off the KS just to see if it's cracked in any form. I'll scour car parts for cheap ones if I can grab it then it'll get replaced but from reading about the sensor it really doesn't matter. Retarding the timing wouldn't cause any misfire issues even if I'm running 87 unleaded, correct? The retardation (if any right now) is just a safety measure if the computer thinks that the KS is out as far as I've read. In fact, the KS retards the timing period if it is knocking at all.
Honestly you're not likely to encounter knock even with 87. I've used all sorts of grades and qualities of fuel with the KS bypassed, never heard a bit.

Though I wouldn't trust a used one, you can get them BNIB on eBay for ~$25. The ~$60 ones are brand new OEM, FWIW.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM

What do you think about the cel giving EGR code? I haven't opened it up yet and I just reset the cel to see what happens in the morning but the car sounded like normal (w/ bad coil) when I started it a minute ago.

Going to call Nissan dealership tomorrow (Autozone failed me) to get the new gaskets for the TB, EGR tube, and IACV when I clean out the lot tomorrow thanks to the stickied how-to section. This forum actually makes me want to work on the car rather then throw cash at it.

Last edited by bushd; 07-06-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
No more Maximas...

What do you think about the cel giving EGR code? I haven't opened it up yet and I just reset the cel to see what happens in the morning but the car sounded like normal (w/ bad coil) when I started it a minute ago.

Going to call Nissan dealership tomorrow (Autozone failed me) to get the new gaskets for the TB, EGR tube, and IACV when I clean out the lot tomorrow thanks to the stickied how-to section. This forum actually makes me want to work on the car rather then throw cash at it.
The EGR code is likely a completely blocked EGR guide tube.

Yea, Autozone doesn't seem to carry much for the A32.

If you plan on doing any other top end work like replacing valve cover gaskets, removing the UIM, etc, I'd wait on buying the gaskets locally and cleaning everything, and just order a head gasket set on eBay. ~$70 for the set, and it has everything you need to R&R the heads. IACV, EGR, TB, UIM-LIM, LIM-heads, valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, etc.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM

The EGR code is likely a completely blocked EGR guide tube.

Yea, Autozone doesn't seem to carry much for the A32.

If you plan on doing any other top end work like replacing valve cover gaskets, removing the UIM, etc, I'd wait on buying the gaskets locally and cleaning everything, and just order a head gasket set on eBay. ~$70 for the set, and it has everything you need to R&R the heads. IACV, EGR, TB, UIM-LIM, LIM-heads, valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, etc.
As much as I'd like to overhaul the gaskets I just don't have the time for that kind of work, and 70 bucks is pushing the limits until next paycheck for everything I've purchased already. Unfortunately buying the car really wrenched my ability to tell work that I'm sick or I can't come in/X takes my hours. I'll try to take half a day off from univ. to fix the coil, replace gaskets and clean intake side components up to the TB.

I'm going to have to deal with the EGR cel until wednesday (thursday maximum) for the new coils to come in so I can take half the day off from univ. and deal with the lot of what I want to do.

Last edited by bushd; 07-06-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

loose steering wheel when accelerating

I just bought a 98 Max GLE with 97k on original motor and tranny. Pretty clean and nice ride. However, when I accelerate the steering wheel feels loose towards the left side and the car will shoot forward. Even if Im turning left! When I let go of the accelerator the car will recatch the grip towards the left side and then I need to cut back to the right to steady her out. This only happens to the left side. When turning right this problem doesnt happen. I dont know what it can possible be. When driving straight it does slightly pull to the right side so a wheel alignment is probably needed but I cant imagine that this could be the cause of the pulling problem. Can anyone help explain this?!?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Is there a way to tell what year and trim your car is?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by techking08
Is there a way to tell what year and trim your car is?
Did you read the stickies?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hread-yet.html
Originally Posted by mzmtg
TO DECODE THE VIN PLATE:
Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The sixth character is the trim level designator, defined as follows:
E = GXE
G = GLE
V = SE
For the year...have you looked at your registration, title, or insurance? Failing that, every VIN on the car tells you what year, there's a production date in the door jamb, and a model year on the emissions label under the hood.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Did you read the stickies?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hread-yet.html

For the year...have you looked at your registration, title, or insurance? Failing that, every VIN on the car tells you what year, there's a production date in the door jamb, and a model year on the emissions label under the hood.
Yea didn't scroll far enough, thanks. Registration, title, and insurance are all consume reported so it may not be correct. I'll def. take a look in the door jam today. Thank pmohr!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by techking08
Yea didn't scroll far enough, thanks. Registration, title, and insurance are all consume reported so it may not be correct. I'll def. take a look in the door jam today. Thank pmohr!
Consumer reported? They're all based off the VIN...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Consumer reported? They're all based off the VIN...
Not in NC you tell the clerk what year your vehicle is for registration and when you call the insurance company, and I don't have the original title. So I don't know how that works...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM

my brake light on my dash came on a couple of weeks ago. i checked under my hood to see my brake fluid level and it was on the minimum line. i topped it off, and the brake light went off. since than, this happens every 3 days. could this be a leak? my front pads & rotors were changed back in september, only about ~10k on them
Old 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by J RO 9
my brake light on my dash came on a couple of weeks ago. i checked under my hood to see my brake fluid level and it was on the minimum line. i topped it off, and the brake light went off. since than, this happens every 3 days. could this be a leak? my front pads & rotors were changed back in september, only about ~10k on them
Well it's certainly going somewhere.

Have you checked for a leak yet? It should be fairly obvious if you're losing that much in that period of time, should be a large wet spot along the lines somewhere.

If you don't see anything on the lines/hoses themselves, it's possible it's leaking back into the booster as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM

I have been searching all day for this. I just bought a new grille for my 98' and i really really like the badge on the front of the most recent MOTM (Flava 24/7):

http://forums.maxima.org/maxima-mont...ima-month.html

...does anyone know where to get one? I know I saw something on this earlier in the week but i can't find it anywhere.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Cmaxima
I have been searching all day for this. I just bought a new grille for my 98' and i really really like the badge on the front of the most recent MOTM (Flava 24/7):

http://forums.maxima.org/maxima-mont...ima-month.html

...does anyone know where to get one? I know I saw something on this earlier in the week but i can't find it anywhere.
You mean this thread? http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...em-maxima.html

You didn't even need to search, it wasn't even halfway down the front page.

Ordering information is in the thread.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi - I've got a 99 Maxima and retrieved a PO325 knock sensor code. The car is running rough at idle and when driving at below 2500 rpm. Could this be a result of it running in 'safe mode' or would the rough idle etc cause a PO325?

Cheers
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by gary cal
Hi - I've got a 99 Maxima and retrieved a PO325 knock sensor code. The car is running rough at idle and when driving at below 2500 rpm. Could this be a result of it running in 'safe mode' or would the rough idle etc cause a PO325?

Cheers
Are you on the original coils? If so, there's your rough idle.

Replace all of the coils, then go from there.

The KS is a common code to pop up, due to it's not lighting the CEL; it could be throwing that code forever and you wouldn't know until you pulled the codes when the CEL comes on.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright yes im a noob and yes your probally going to laugh when I ask this!

Just now recently trying to keep a tight budget and save money and have never changed my own brakes lol. Was wondering if there was a site that showed step by step how to change front brakes on a 1999 nissan maxima?

It looks easy as hell.. Just need to make sure i don't mess something up..
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JoshB0809
Alright yes im a noob and yes your probally going to laugh when I ask this!

Just now recently trying to keep a tight budget and save money and have never changed my own brakes lol. Was wondering if there was a site that showed step by step how to change front brakes on a 1999 nissan maxima?

It looks easy as hell.. Just need to make sure i don't mess something up..
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=155

There's also a guide on Motorvate, with pics.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks - I'll give that a go.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=155

There's also a guide on Motorvate, with pics.
Thanks.

I tried to pull Motorvate up. But when I clicked on the Front Brakes Assembly on the page it would not pull it up. Is their site down or experiencing problems?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks.

I tried to pull Motorvate up. But when I clicked on the Front Brakes Assembly on the page it would not pull it up. Is their site down or experiencing problems?
It would appear so.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It would appear so.
lol Well thanks man! Appreciate the help : ]
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM

The problem of my potential misfiring/shaking from a bad coil pack has disappeared. It won't happen anymore and I just as of making this post got the new (minus 2 rear) set of coilpacks from another seller on here. Quite frustrating because I need it to misfire so I can figure out which of the rear, if so, is dying to replace it while I wait on the other two to come.

Any thoughts on this? A problem suddenly fixing itself is usually not really a fix. Always calm before the storm I hear.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 AM
No more Maximas...

lol Well thanks man! Appreciate the help : ]
Site is back up now. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300

The problem of my potential misfiring/shaking from a bad coil pack has disappeared. It won't happen anymore and I just as of making this post got the new (minus 2 rear) set of coilpacks from another seller on here. Quite frustrating because I need it to misfire so I can figure out which of the rear, if so, is dying to replace it while I wait on the other two to come.

Any thoughts on this? A problem suddenly fixing itself is usually not really a fix. Always calm before the storm I hear.
Test out all the coils with a multimeter. You're not looking for a specific value, but rather an outlier from the norm. A coil with different readings by a wide margin will most likely be your bad coil.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i was wondering why i couldnt post i have a real problem on my hands
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Michaud85
i was wondering why i couldnt post i have a real problem on my hands
...what do you mean you can't post? You just did.

Use the newbie thread like everyone else.

But first, search. I can all but guarantee your 'real problem' has been covered dozens of times in the past.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Site is back up now. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300

Test out all the coils with a multimeter. You're not looking for a specific value, but rather an outlier from the norm. A coil with different readings by a wide margin will most likely be your bad coil.

Go figure when I get out the old fluke 77 multimeter it has some kind of short in itself.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM

how to take headlights off cause i want to remove haze?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wai18
how to take headlights off cause i want to remove haze?
I didn't know search was broken??

2 second search has revealed....there are tons more. I typed in "headlight removal"

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...t-removal.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...y-removal.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...headlight.html
Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 PM

how do i assemble my passenger side mirror??

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!