4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 PM

I have been reading on advancing the timing like 5* and was wondering if it was safe with my engine having 126xxx miles? thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 PM

I searched around online to find an 00vi and couldnt really find one. would my best bet be going to a junkyard? does the 00vi mount on with no problems?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by allblackmax96
I searched around online to find an 00vi and couldnt really find one. would my best bet be going to a junkyard? does the 00vi mount on with no problems?
from you're post I would tell you right now, do not try to do the 00vi. You will mess up your car. If you can't find one (two are being sold in the classifieds right now) thats one problem. But the fact that you're asking if it mounts up no problem means you have not read anything about the swap and will not have a running car if you try this mod. You should start reading first, then worry about finding the parts.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 AM

when you take your oil pan (drain plug holder part) off and scrape the gasket off, is it supposed to be completely flat because four holes have a slight notch up and its the only 2 on each side and the top and bottom portion is fine, i think i need a new oil pan ill upload pictures tom if no one knows what im talking about.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 AM

torque converter problems Help

i had my transmission rebuilt. i'm still having problems. i was told my solenoids went bad due to a bad torque converter. well my car is starting to act up again although not as bad, yet. the shop told me they put in bad solenoids so they will have to replace them. this is the second time they put in a bad part. it's either that or it is an electrical problem. so now i'm really doubting whether the TC needed replaced to begin with.

i can't find info on what happens to a car if the torque converter is bad. the problem i experienced was in drive the car/transmission would jerk really bad and it wasn't safe to drive. but in 2nd the car would run smoothly. if the TC was going bad would i still be able to drive my car in 2nd with no problem?

any help would be appreciated. i've been frustrated for about a month now.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by chazmcgee
when you take your oil pan (drain plug holder part) off and scrape the gasket off, is it supposed to be completely flat because four holes have a slight notch up and its the only 2 on each side and the top and bottom portion is fine, i think i need a new oil pan ill upload pictures tom if no one knows what im talking about.
You need to get all of the old gasket off. That's what's important.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by nicki
i had my transmission rebuilt. i'm still having problems. i was told my solenoids went bad due to a bad torque converter. well my car is starting to act up again although not as bad, yet. the shop told me they put in bad solenoids so they will have to replace them. this is the second time they put in a bad part. it's either that or it is an electrical problem. so now i'm really doubting whether the TC needed replaced to begin with.

i can't find info on what happens to a car if the torque converter is bad. the problem i experienced was in drive the car/transmission would jerk really bad and it wasn't safe to drive. but in 2nd the car would run smoothly. if the TC was going bad would i still be able to drive my car in 2nd with no problem?

any help would be appreciated. i've been frustrated for about a month now.
I don't know an exact answer to your question but I would recommend not going to this shop anymore. The fact you paid twice for them to but bad parts in baffles me. I don't know a shop that puts in bad parts and says, oh we'll fix it later. Make sure those are fixed first and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
I don't know an exact answer to your question but I would recommend not going to this shop anymore. The fact you paid twice for them to but bad parts in baffles me. I don't know a shop that puts in bad parts and says, oh we'll fix it later. Make sure those are fixed first and see what happens.
i put a lot of money into the rebuild cause i was told that's what it needed. as for the bad parts they put in, it's covered. i'm asking for the bad solenoids this time. i'm just not too knowledgeable when it comes to cars so i've been giving them the benefit of the doubt. but the more i deal with them the more doubtful i become. i don't know if they are charging me for parts i don't need, for stuff they didn't do to begin with or if indeed my luck is this bad. was hoping to get more info from here so i can not be so clueless. i figure i can be nice this one last time. anything else happens i will have it all looked into.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by nicki
i put a lot of money into the rebuild cause i was told that's what it needed. as for the bad parts they put in, it's covered. i'm asking for the bad solenoids this time. i'm just not too knowledgeable when it comes to cars so i've been giving them the benefit of the doubt. but the more i deal with them the more doubtful i become. i don't know if they are charging me for parts i don't need, for stuff they didn't do to begin with or if indeed my luck is this bad. was hoping to get more info from here so i can not be so clueless. i figure i can be nice this one last time. anything else happens i will have it all looked into.
well im sure they have a warranty so all the problems should be fixed by them. I just meant that the shop seems like bad news if they are putting parts the know are bad into your car. Yes they said they will fix it but wtf ya know? Why would they not keep the car an extra day and order the correct parts or what not. The shop itself seems sketchy to me. Nothing can really be done now tho since the warranty is with them. Any trouble should be covered by them so get everything fixed and don't go back lol. Just make sure they arnt charging for other stuff. They are supposed to fix the parts.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by chaotic
I have owned a number of 3rd gens and currently own a vg5, which is a bit slow but very clean and reliable. I am looking at a '95 SE 5spd that needs work, I believe the current owner hit a pothole at a pretty high speed or maybe went over a median and bent a wheel, knocked it out of alignment and even blew both airbags. The car has 210k on it and is otherwise pretty clean. He is pretty firm on $1k and claims he will have the front suspension work taken care of and aligned at the shop he works at. I am thinking of picking it up and just removing the airbags and putting new covers on it. There is no inspection here and I have no intention of reselling it. Is it worth messing with and do you think the asking price is reasonable? I like the color combo and can fix it myself....
I think you should look elsewhere. Judging by how the car was taken care of I would say that the 210k miles will effect the car. Find another deal IMO.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey all,

My 99 sometimes performs better than others. I haven't been able to notice any specific pattern, but many times it just seems much 'peppier' than other times. I dont know of any factors that are directly related to the way it performs, though it seems to be a little sluggish on rainy/cold days.

I am gussing this is most likely an ignition problem, but im not sure what exactly I should look into. Could it just be plugs/wires, or something bigger like the coil? I have read a few places that 99 coils are a known issue...is this true?

Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 AM

Can the SES light come on for no apparent reason? It came on today on my way to school. After my exam, I went home to extract the code(s) out of the Self Diagnosis ECU and it gave me nothing, no blinks. So I resetted the ECU and drove around for a while, and it didn't come back on...

Can the SES light be faulty itself? ...anything I should've done differently? or can do now?

---By the way, last I asked about wipers, and I was told to apply glass stripper to it to remove any old build-up of wax, etc, but when I went to Canadian Tire, they had absolutely no clue what it was. I looked through all their glass cleaning products and the most "deep cleaning" one (I assume) was something called "Invisible Glass" which claimed to leave no streaks, and so clean it'd be as if the glass was invisible... Is glass stripper just extra strong glass cleaner? Any brands / stores I should check out to get this stuff?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Hammy

Ok I got a question, yesterday I cleaned out my throttle body and all was good, today on my day to work i noticed the surging from 1.5-2.0 ks, it would only happen when I'm in neutral and Coasting, or when I'm at a complete stop, I have no codes so I have nothing to go On Now.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Ham1987
Ok I got a question, yesterday I cleaned out my throttle body and all was good, today on my day to work i noticed the surging from 1.5-2.0 ks, it would only happen when I'm in neutral and Coasting, or when I'm at a complete stop, I have no codes so I have nothing to go On Now.
There wasn't a question in there...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by headhunt3r
Can the SES light come on for no apparent reason? It came on today on my way to school. After my exam, I went home to extract the code(s) out of the Self Diagnosis ECU and it gave me nothing, no blinks. So I resetted the ECU and drove around for a while, and it didn't come back on...

Can the SES light be faulty itself? ...anything I should've done differently? or can do now?
The SES light will illuminate when there is a problem, but the problem CAN fix itself and then the light simply needs to be reset. I have had this happen if I got some kind of cleaner on a sensor and it triggered the CEL, but after the cleaner went away there was no longer a fault. I cleared the CEL and it went away. Sometimes they even go away on their own.

By the way, last I asked about wipers, and I was told to apply glass stripper to it to remove any old build-up of wax, etc, but when I went to Canadian Tire, they had absolutely no clue what it was. I looked through all their glass cleaning products and the most "deep cleaning" one (I assume) was something called "Invisible Glass" which claimed to leave no streaks, and so clean it'd be as if the glass was invisible... Is glass stripper just extra strong glass cleaner? Any brands / stores I should check out to get this stuff?
This stuff is a paste, similar to a rubbing compound. I don't remember where I got it. I have had one tube of it for 10 years...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 AM

---By the way, last I asked about wipers, and I was told to apply glass stripper to it to remove any old build-up of wax, etc, but when I went to Canadian Tire, they had absolutely no clue what it was. I looked through all their glass cleaning products and the most "deep cleaning" one (I assume) was something called "Invisible Glass" which claimed to leave no streaks, and so clean it'd be as if the glass was invisible... Is glass stripper just extra strong glass cleaner? Any brands / stores I should check out to get this stuff?

Thanks in advance!
All you need is a razor blade and some soapy water in a spray.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by sypher373
Hey all,

My 99 sometimes performs better than others. I haven't been able to notice any specific pattern, but many times it just seems much 'peppier' than other times. I dont know of any factors that are directly related to the way it performs, though it seems to be a little sluggish on rainy/cold days.

I am gussing this is most likely an ignition problem, but im not sure what exactly I should look into. Could it just be plugs/wires, or something bigger like the coil? I have read a few places that 99 coils are a known issue...is this true?

Thanks
Yes coils can be an issue but why don't you check before posting. Check the plugs and coils, clean tb and IACV, and just perform an overall tuneup and then post. Also, you don't have wires with plugs.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ham1987
Dude Thanks for the help. From the top of the engine? Or from down under, A picture would be great.
From the top, only sensor on timing cover held in by one 10mm bolt.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Misunderestimated

Hi all,

Thought I'd ask about a strange problem I've been having for over a year with my Max... much like what Ham1987 described a few posts ago, in fact. Long after the engine has warmed up, I'll be stopped at a light and my idle will stay up around 1500, as if the automatic choke was engaged. Goosing the throttle will drop the idle back to normal, so it's more of an annoyance than a major driveability issue, and CEL hasn't come on. Friends have suggested maybe it's the throttle position sensor, maybe it's the EGR valve (I did test rather high on NOx at my last smog check)... Any input would be much appreciated. It's a 1995 Maxima SE 5spd, 99K, for those interested.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 PM

hey i just have a real quick question there isnt really any place for me to ask this but this thread so here i go. i was wondering if anyone one know of a website that gives away free after market stickers or something like that

anyways thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by maxima_fan_boy
hey i just have a real quick question there isnt really any place for me to ask this but this thread so here i go. i was wondering if anyone one know of a website that gives away free after market stickers or something like that

anyways thanks
You just want to put random stickers on your car? You want people to think that you have all that in your car or what? Either way, most places sell them but if you contact the company you want a sticker for they can tell you if they have free ones.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:41 PM

Nissan parts

kind of random but I do have enought posts to start my own thread. Anyways I just got a job as a porter at Bill Kay Nissan in Downers Grove, Illinois and can get nissan parts for a discount. I dont get it for cost but its a pretty good discount. Let me know if anyone is interested in anything. Im not asking for anything extra than what it would cost so its all good.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 99maximaSEL
kind of random but I do have enought posts to start my own thread. Anyways I just got a job as a porter at Bill Kay Nissan in Downers Grove, Illinois and can get nissan parts for a discount. I dont get it for cost but its a pretty good discount. Let me know if anyone is interested in anything. Im not asking for anything extra than what it would cost so its all good.
what kind of discount are we talking?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is Monroe struts good enough?

Hi All,

My struts are getting bad and I have a good deals on "Monroe MacPherson Strut: Sensa-Trac". Is these struts good enough for my 96 MAXIMA? If yes, what additional parts should I buy along with these to change the struts?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:31 PM

This is great phen, I have a 99 maxima GLE with a bose sound system & I am trying to get my ipod to play. Does anyone know which plug/adapter I need to place into the cd changer plug area? I dont want to spend $300 on a aux input adapter. (The plug that I'm looking for goes into the bose stereo and the RCA females jacks should be coming out). Or if you have a better suggestion. ALso, wanted to put on some 2003 350Z enthu stock wheels on my 99 max, but the 350Z wheels are staggered. Are they compatible?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 99goldmembermax
This is great phen, I have a 99 maxima GLE with a bose sound system & I am trying to get my ipod to play. Does anyone know which plug/adapter I need to place into the cd changer plug area? I dont want to spend $300 on a aux input adapter. (The plug that I'm looking for goes into the bose stereo and the RCA females jacks should be coming out). Or if you have a better suggestion. ALso, wanted to put on some 2003 350Z enthu stock wheels on my 99 max, but the 350Z wheels are staggered. Are they compatible?
In the how-to's is the thread for wiring in an aux for our Ipod on the stock hu. 350z rims should fit. Offset is important, not that the are staggered.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
In the how-to's is the thread for wiring in an aux for our Ipod on the stock hu. 350z rims should fit. Offset is important, not that the are staggered.
Dont know the offset, but the fronts stick out approx 3-5mm, but the rear is perfectly flush. What to do?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by 99goldmembermax
Dont know the offset, but the fronts stick out approx 3-5mm, but the rear is perfectly flush. What to do?
If the back is flush then you're fine. You can put a spacer up front to make them both flush
Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 AM

CDG2125
I get it for a little over cost on stuff including all parts and nissan brand shirts and jackets coffe cups stuff like that (the stuff they have on display in the waitng room)
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM

just got a hole in a section of my exhaust and now im trying to decide on whether too just get it repaired or go with a cat back system.Wondering what systems yuou would recomend in the lower price ranges seeing as i am far from loaded with cash.Also i am considering doing the install myself seeing as i am trying to do more of the work on my car myself but have never done exhaust work before.Just wonmdering how involved the install is , thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by bcmaxima96
just got a hole in a section of my exhaust and now im trying to decide on whether too just get it repaired or go with a cat back system.Wondering what systems yuou would recomend in the lower price ranges seeing as i am far from loaded with cash.Also i am considering doing the install myself seeing as i am trying to do more of the work on my car myself but have never done exhaust work before.Just wonmdering how involved the install is , thanks

all depends on what part of the section has the hole and how much you have to spend. install is easy if you have a torch. pain in the **** if you dont have one but have rusted bolts (as I am sure you do).
Old 04-16-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
all depends on what part of the section has the hole and how much you have to spend. install is easy if you have a torch. pain in the **** if you dont have one but have rusted bolts (as I am sure you do).
was lookin at the pacesetter cat back.It is in my price range just wondering wat your oinion on it is or wat other system in that price range($300ish) you would recommend for me to check out
Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM

autotranny problem

97 Maxima. Recently my transmission coolant hose slipped off the nipple(clamp came loose) and I lost my fluid. When this happened I noticed rights away and pulled over, fixed the hose filled it with tranny fluid. It was fine for a couple days till it really started losing power and actually wouldnt move. My dads friend put more coolant in it and was revving it and shifting, it made a loud noise which he said was trapped air coming out of the tranny. It is now driving but seems like something is slowing it down faster when coastin and doesnt have as much power, I have a cat-back exhaust which used to sound nice and even the backpressure in that seems to have gone a little with the power. It feels as if there is something restricting it. ANYONE HELP?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM

I own and would HIGHLY recommend a Megan cat-back exhaust, it is full stainless-steel, sounds awsome, and fairly priced. As in installing yourself, pretty straight forward, consists or three sections from the cat back, I think for a 96 though you might have to get an extra small piece where your sensor goes(right after the cat).
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 PM

one out of 4 windows not working

i have a 1995 GLE max which i bought used pretty recently, since i bought it my front passenger side window has stopped working. when i press the switch to roll it down from the main drivers panel or the single button on the passenger side door i hear a click as i press it and then no sound and no movement. all the other windows still work fine.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mge2790
i have a 1995 GLE max which i bought used pretty recently, since i bought it my front passenger side window has stopped working. when i press the switch to roll it down from the main drivers panel or the single button on the passenger side door i hear a click as i press it and then no sound and no movement. all the other windows still work fine.
look for new motor
Old 04-16-2007, 08:02 PM

my car has been idoling around 1300 rpm's but sometimes its lower around 900 ,its to the ppoint where i dont even have to give it much gas when letting off the clutch in first gear, any ideas????
Old 04-17-2007, 03:40 AM

my car has been idoling around 1300 rpm's but sometimes its lower around 900 ,its to the ppoint where i dont even have to give it much gas when letting off the clutch in first gear, any ideas????
Thtottle body and Idle Air Control Valve cleaning. A proper one (not while it is still on the car). Make sure you or whoever does it uses new gaskets. Whatever you do, do not adjust the idle using the screw since that will only be masking the problem. I would bet you need more service done to your car too after further inspection. p/s flush. brake fluid flush. etc. (If you havent already done those).
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 AM

look for new motor
thats what i figured i would have to do. are there any ways of testing my old motor. and any instructions of how to install a new one on the forum? i figure it should be pretty straight forward but not positive.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by mge2790
thats what i figured i would have to do. are there any ways of testing my old motor. and any instructions of how to install a new one on the forum? i figure it should be pretty straight forward but not positive.
Well you're window doesn't go up....I would say that's a good test. You don't need a write up to change the motor. Take the door trim off and look at what you're doing. Nothing too complicated.

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!