4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
What's VIS.? . . . . .
Variable Intake System also known as NVIS Nissan " " the CVTC is an awesome feature I just don't know how that is going to work with the old 99 wiring system
Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm considering a 99 or 01 Max among other cars, manual tranny only. Just wondering what kind of problems I'm lookin for, which gen is more durable since I'm prolly gonna drive the car into the ground. I read the FAQ, not really what I was lookin for
Old 04-30-2007, 06:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 99 Max-D
Variable Intake System also known as NVIS Nissan " " the CVTC is an awesome feature I just don't know how that is going to work with the old 99 wiring system
Around here it's more widely know as VIAS, small difference, but the lingo here sticks. For all wiring/ECU options, check the Advanced Performance forums, lots of great information in there.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Maintenance Monster

sweet i'm looking at getting the motor in about a month or so... Know any local yards that have a vq35 laying around.. hahaha.... I'm trying not to buy it off ebay to aviod the shipping but it doesn't look promising. Any suggestions on the ecu???
Rob Tilley in Annville is where I would start. He might have one in fact.

Dave
Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
jpn

hey im new to maximas i just bought a 97 se and was wondering wut is the best exhaust system for it at a good price also since i cant PM u can email me at johnnygook@gmail.com any suggestions will b greatly appreciated thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jpn
hey im new to maximas i just bought a 97 se and was wondering wut is the best exhaust system for it at a good price also since i cant PM u can email me at johnnygook@gmail.com any suggestions will b greatly appreciated thanks
Dude, please read the stickies. the second one down is............. EXHAUST INFORMATION THREAD WITH SOUND CLIPS!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
I'm considering a 99 or 01 Max among other cars, manual tranny only. Just wondering what kind of problems I'm lookin for, which gen is more durable since I'm prolly gonna drive the car into the ground. I read the FAQ, not really what I was lookin for
'99's are well known for coilpacks. Also, all 4th gens usually need a knock sensor, but it's not a big deal. Manually tranny......ooooh, that's where you have to be careful, the manual tranny's happen to be so incredible weak and trouble prone it's absolutely ridiculous, I'm currently rebuilding one that only has 110k yet it has input bearing whine AND junk differential bearings. Here's what to check for. drive the car around, when just loping around in 1st 2nd and third barely on the gas letting on and off just the tiniest bit if you hear a whine it has bad input bearings. Next check is to safely get underneath the vehicle and inspect where the drivers side axle goes into the trannsmission, there should be no leaks, grasp the big part of the axle right where it goes in, there should be no up/down play. if there is play or an oil leak the differential carrier bearings are toast. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a 5-speed max, you will LOVE it and you will have a really tough time trying to drive it into the ground, but look for these problems.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Climate control and Shifter

Will an I30 shifter work in my car? Or is it better to go the route I was shown previously and make one? Also, how hard is it to convert to auto climate control? Is it just swapping the control heads? Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Rob Tilley in Annville is where I would start. He might have one in fact.

Dave
Yea I've heard about him, I've also seen on google that he's run his max at maple grove... with a crazy time of 11.55. I'd like to pm him but i don't know his sn or any other way of contacting him??? Do you know his sn of hand?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yea I've heard about him, I've also seen on google that he's run his max at maple grove... with a crazy time of 11.55. I'd like to pm him but i don't know his sn or any other way of contacting him??? Do you know his sn of hand?
http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?u=5725
Old 05-01-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by redright9
Will an I30 shifter work in my car? Or is it better to go the route I was shown previously and make one? Also, how hard is it to convert to auto climate control? Is it just swapping the control heads? Thanks for all the help.
Makle one? I'm so confused by this? But in case you're wondering, auto and manual shifters are the same on I30's and maxima's. Switching from manual to auto climate control is not as simple as switching the head units unfortunatly, it's next to impossible.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
'99's are well known for coilpacks. Also, all 4th gens usually need a knock sensor, but it's not a big deal. Manually tranny......ooooh, that's where you have to be careful, the manual tranny's happen to be so incredible weak and trouble prone it's absolutely ridiculous, I'm currently rebuilding one that only has 110k yet it has input bearing whine AND junk differential bearings. Here's what to check for. drive the car around, when just loping around in 1st 2nd and third barely on the gas letting on and off just the tiniest bit if you hear a whine it has bad input bearings. Next check is to safely get underneath the vehicle and inspect where the drivers side axle goes into the trannsmission, there should be no leaks, grasp the big part of the axle right where it goes in, there should be no up/down play. if there is play or an oil leak the differential carrier bearings are toast. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a 5-speed max, you will LOVE it and you will have a really tough time trying to drive it into the ground, but look for these problems.
Thanks for the great reply but damn that wasn't really what I hoped to hear haha. I just got the tranny replaced on our family's 2000 Odyssey for the same problem, weak diff carrier bearings w/ play. Can't believe that it's the MANUAL tranny that's weak.

Thanks again...the search continues
Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup

Makle one? I'm so confused by this? But in case you're wondering, auto and manual shifters are the same on I30's and maxima's. Switching from manual to auto climate control is not as simple as switching the head units unfortunatly, it's next to impossible.

Yeah, make one, Cdg2125 (picture on page 5 of this post) showed me his shifter he made for his auto car. Came out REALLY nice. I am thinking that is the way I am going to go. But I would like to see what the I30 Shifters look like if any different. The only question is how did he make his shift interlock button work.. you know, the button on the side to move it out of park.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:46 AM

okay i have a noobie question that i suppose i could ask here.

i recently got a pretty pristine '95 maxima GLE. it has 75,000 miles on it and as far as i know has just about all the options you could want, even the gold trim. unfortunately i do not have pictures as someone rammed into me about a week after i got the car, although i will take pictures when i get it repaired. oh and its pearl white also.

anyways i took the maxima emblems off the back for a little 'side project' while i am broke. my question to you guys is this. how do yall think it will look if i ordered the one piece maxima emblem and painted it black and slapped it on the back?

currently i have the gold Nissan emblem back there as well, but i was trying to figure out a way to take that off and fix the holes without spending god awful amounts to get it shaved.

so that is my question, the car is pearl white with black leather interior. i wanna do it with the Nissan logo removed and just have the maxima logo on the back. does anyone have pictures of a job like this or could anyone possibly photoshop me one if i take a picture?

thanks in advance,

andrew
Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 95.maxima
okay i have a noobie question that i suppose i could ask here.

i recently got a pretty pristine '95 maxima GLE. it has 75,000 miles on it and as far as i know has just about all the options you could want, even the gold trim. unfortunately i do not have pictures as someone rammed into me about a week after i got the car, although i will take pictures when i get it repaired. oh and its pearl white also.

anyways i took the maxima emblems off the back for a little 'side project' while i am broke. my question to you guys is this. how do yall think it will look if i ordered the one piece maxima emblem and painted it black and slapped it on the back?

currently i have the gold Nissan emblem back there as well, but i was trying to figure out a way to take that off and fix the holes without spending god awful amounts to get it shaved.

so that is my question, the car is pearl white with black leather interior. i wanna do it with the Nissan logo removed and just have the maxima logo on the back. does anyone have pictures of a job like this or could anyone possibly photoshop me one if i take a picture?

thanks in advance,

andrew
There are no holes when the emblems are removed.

How it would look depends on your car's color. You might also consider the already-gunmetal lettering from the SE-L or the 5th gen SE.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
There are no holes when the emblems are removed.

How it would look depends on your car's color. You might also consider the already-gunmetal lettering from the SE-L or the 5th gen SE.
so if i take off the stock hamburger Nissan looking logo, there will not be any holes in the trunk?

and i have considered the gunmetal pieces, but for some reason i don't think they really look to good myself. thats why i was thinking the black would accommodate the black interior color.

oh and the car is pearl white so the black will stand out pretty nicely. i was also thinking a flat jet black, nothing flashy.

thanks for the quick reply too.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

so if i take off the stock hamburger Nissan looking logo, there will not be any holes in the trunk?

and i have considered the gunmetal pieces, but for some reason i don't think they really look to good myself. thats why i was thinking the black would accommodate the black interior color.

oh and the car is pearl white so the black will stand out pretty nicely. i was also thinking a flat jet black, nothing flashy.

thanks for the quick reply too.
No, no holes behind the burger.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
No, no holes behind the burger.
ya i just went out to the car to see if i could pop it off. apparently they used about 10 times the adhesive they used on the actual lettering. so that will be a little bit trickier. thanks a ton for the help btw.

oh and do you know by chance a website i can look through the different stock maxima letterings? i cant seem to find anywhere that carries them and ebay doesn't seem to be to helpful either.

woo.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM

This may have already been answered in here but which year 4th gen was the most problematic and which was the most reliable? If I were buying one now, which year should I look for? I was thinking I wanted 99 because of traction control but then somebody said 99 was the most problematic so now that got me thinking.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 PM

99s have lots of ignition coil problems, added cali emissions, and chipped keys which can cause problems.

personally i think 97/98 were the best years with the redesign, since i'm not really a fan of the 95/96 front and rear.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by gen4maxima536
99s have lots of ignition coil problems, added cali emissions, and chipped keys which can cause problems.

personally i think 97/98 were the best years with the redesign, since i'm not really a fan of the 95/96 front and rear.
on the contrary i think the 95 / 96 de-badged are some of the sexiest rears on a lot of cars around. throw on some red / clear tails and you got something going.

but to each his own, that helped me pick up the 95 and well.... the low miles and great condition kinda helped too. :P
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Do the cons in the 99s (problems you stated above) outweigh the pros like the security chip in the key, new HU, and traction control?

Oh also, how are CA emissions bad? My guess is decreased performance and the pre-cats could be a problem. Am I correct? I'm not sure how big of a problem the pre-cats are on this car but I know a lot of Nissans have problems with em.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM

power window problems

when i press the switch for my front passenger side window to go up or down there is no movement, only a small click each time the switch is pressed. i removed the door panel but can not see how to remove the motor or regulator, are there any instructions on the forum, or elsewhere?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:57 PM

Check out one of those manuals they sell at AutoZone, I forgot the name but that should have an answer.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM

hmm... possibly. im pretty sure the problem is just that the window is stuck, not that the motor is dead or anything. i really just need a way to maybe manually spin to motor to free it, or to push the actuator.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

clutch problems

i have a 96 maxima 5 speed revved up the engine and stuck in first to let the wheels spin (dont know what to call that) then did it again ten minutes later. clutch started slipping bad the second time. Im thinking i just over heated the thing. am i right? im wondering whats the process of replacing the clutch on a 96. does it require taking the engine out. and how much should it run me in Northern Virginia.
thanks

96' Maxima SE 5 Speed on Tokico Shocks/Struts and Springs
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM

on the contrary i think the 95 / 96 de-badged are some of the sexiest rears on a lot of cars around. throw on some red / clear tails and you got something going.

but to each his own, that helped me pick up the 95 and well.... the low miles and great condition kinda helped too. :P
well the fact you can only throw the riced out red/clear tails from ebay on the 95-96, I don't think they are the best. Or the fact that a lot of guys convert to 97-99. Opinion is everything.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ABDU89
i have a 96 maxima 5 speed revved up the engine and stuck in first to let the wheels spin (dont know what to call that) then did it again ten minutes later. clutch started slipping bad the second time. Im thinking i just over heated the thing. am i right? im wondering whats the process of replacing the clutch on a 96. does it require taking the engine out. and how much should it run me in Northern Virginia.
thanks

96' Maxima SE 5 Speed on Tokico Shocks/Struts and Springs
Link from the How To's thread:
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/801
Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
well the fact you can only throw the riced out red/clear tails from ebay on the 95-96, I don't think they are the best. Or the fact that a lot of guys convert to 97-99. Opinion is everything.
well ya it does boil down to opinion of course and what you like is what you like. take for instance my 92 civic. i think the EG's (92-95) are the best looking civics ever produced however like 70% hate them. maybe i just like the odd ball ones?

the only thing i truly do hate about maximas are those damn bumper lines. those will have to go eventually. heh.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Maintenance Monster

Manually tranny......ooooh, that's where you have to be careful, the manual tranny's happen to be so incredible weak and trouble prone it's absolutely ridiculous, I'm currently rebuilding one that only has 110k yet it has input bearing whine AND junk differential bearings.
I've found the input bearing whine is always caused by the worn out differential bearings. I have yet to see a tranny with a bad input shaft bearing and good diff bearings. IME the junk part of the tranny is the differential bearing assembly.

Of course, it doesn't help that this tranny isn't as indestructible as the tranny found in some other cars. It doesn't take a lot wrong with a Maxima manual tranny to kill it.

Dave
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How much horspower gain would I see if I installed exhaust headers? Are they really worth the money?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 PM

incorrect info...edited sorry
Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
You'll gain a little extra because you have a 95
Explain please
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 PM

I wasn't paying attention actually. I meant to say that Cali spec had a different design but I typed 95-96 for some reason. Year doesn't matter. More gains from Cali spec. In general (all years) you see better flow but not big gains unless paired with the y correct?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Header system > Headers themselves
Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 AM

would anyone happen to know what size and offset this guys running?
im interested in a set of 18 x 8.5 with either a 35 or 45 offset.
i was thinking going 45 up front and 35 in the back
would i get this aggresive stance with that choice?

thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 AM

I have researched the remote starter thread but found no mention of anybody doing one with a 3.5 swap using the 4th gen ecu. Has anyone done this or know if the swap will effect the remote starter. Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by dan99es
would anyone happen to know what size and offset this guys running?
im interested in a set of 18 x 8.5 with either a 35 or 45 offset.
i was thinking going 45 up front and 35 in the back
would i get this aggresive stance with that choice?

thanks.
i would go with 40 offset
Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 PM

I have researched the remote starter thread but found no mention of anybody doing one with a 3.5 swap using the 4th gen ecu. Has anyone done this or know if the swap will effect the remote starter. Thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 09:48 PM

How many times are you posting this? If you do the swap and have no problems with start up then it's fine.

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!